Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2015 at 5:57 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Seasons
Default TS3 and FPS
I'm having hard time understanding the FPS affects on TS3. Everywhere I read, people are saying higher FPS, mostly 50-80 FPS means the game should run more smoothly, but for me it is the opposite. My FPS rate used to be between 20-30 and the game was completely lag free. Now, my FPS is between 40-80 and is lagging even on normal speed and on both buy/build mode and play mode. The whole lag thing started when I put all the ingame graphic setting to high while I was trying to solve a road grapchics glitch. I lowered the settings back what they were yet the lag continued.

I'm on dry timespan with TS3 and not playing as much anymore, so whether I can "fix" it is not a big priority, but would like if someone could explain this to me.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 10:04 AM
I totally agree to that. A ssd will speed up everything for sims 3.
The fastest solution for this problem might be a smaller world.

Im not a native speaker
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 2:03 PM
World size have absolutely no affect on the FPS. If anything, I think they are higher in the smallest world I have. The world size is 1024x1024, where as Sunset Valley is 2048x2048. If I go all the way to basement level the FPS jump to over 100, 100-150, sometimes even close to 200.. Also, lower the detail settings, the worse the lag I have noticed. So it seems like thing have gone the other way around.

My driver, GPU and whatnot are exactly the same as they were before sudden change. According to the analyzer, my HDD is only 17% full and I do weekly, sometimes daily checkups to keep an eye on the health of my PC. Though, I'm no computer wiz so I can only what the PC "allow" me to do.

Quote:
It is often recommended to download some kind of FPS limiter for TS3 and set the FPS on the most stable FPS.

Yes, I searched for this and did found few, but as always, can't be sure if they are save/clean. I have gotten cautious about "unknow" programs bacouse of past experiences.
Scholar
#5 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by miarell
World size have absolutely no affect on the FPS. (...)

It's not exactly a "size" what matters (oh well... just like in reality! ) but a *quality*.
Obviously a small, but terrible builded world with many routing issues, thousands of redundand spawners etc. shall produce considerably lags faster and more of them than clean, properly builded and balanced big world. It's just harder to make a big world clean and interesting in the same time, because it's... big and requires a lot of work. Smaller worlds are easiest to control.

But at some point, closely related to the particular machine strenght (RAM, CPU, HDD transfer speed) *any* world will produce problems, no matter how good it is. It's just a program's and machine's limitations. Any size world shall start producing lags when it hits a certain (machine depends) number of sims.
And these lags are completely irrelated from GPU-type of course.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
It's not exactly a "size" what matters (oh well... just like in reality! ) but a *quality*.
Obviously a small, but terrible builded world with many routing issues, thousands of redundand spawners etc. shall produce considerably lags faster and more of them than clean, properly builded and balanced big world. It's just harder to make a big world clean and interesting in the same time, because it's... big and requires a lot of work. Smaller worlds are easiest to control.

I was actually referring to the custom world I have vs SV. Not in general. And yes, the smaller world, the one I usually play in, used to give about 20-30 FPS. It is still weird to me how a smaller world can have the about same amount of FPS as world twice its size. Like I said, it's puzzeling me how changing IN game details could affect like this.
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 7:16 PM
if you refer to FPS (not game-lags often mistaken by) it seems to be obvious it's sctrictly depending of actual content demanded to display. And a quality of. And particular GPU/drivers type. In some circumstances higher settings are better handled by the GPU/drives than lower.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"