Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemi
Oi. First off, this tutorial is great! Huge thanks to you, Brianna.

My problem is with Milkshape though (I think). I unchecked the Auto Smooth as you said to avoid the funky lines but I still get them.
What can I do?

Anyone?

"Studies show that 60% of the time, it works every time."
Advertisement
Nearly alive
#77 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemi
Anyone?

Sorry Nemi, this is another one of those problems I can`t help with , because I`m not a modeller so have no idea how to do what you are trying to do.
Test Subject
#78 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 11:54 AM
damn this is cool everyone! keep it up!
Test Subject
#79 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 11:59 AM
Thanks that too was helpful
Test Subject
#80 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 1:08 PM
why
HI WDS BriAnna
you're great~!thank for your tut~!i following it and want to make my own mesh :bump: :bump:

But when I go on to the step 35.i can't Continue......it's the picture when i Click "load sims 2 mesh" and choose the gmdc from step 32 (originalgmdc.5gd)
http://photoimg1.qq.com/cgi-bin/loa...5e%2Bmpig%3D%3D

can anybody help me to Continue...?thanks all ~~~~ :weep: :weep:
Nearly alive
#81 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 1:41 PM
post the gmdc file and the obj file you are using, and I`ll have a look at them.
Test Subject
#82 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 2:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
post the gmdc file and the obj file you are using, and I`ll have a look at them.

OK,thanks you so much :bump:
there's the file of my obj,mesh,and gmdc......
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mesh_pegylong050209.zip (58.0 KB, 55 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  mygownforimport.zip (25.6 KB, 58 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  riginalgmdc.zip (53.7 KB, 52 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 6:20 PM
Mwar, here's a question.

Do we have a way to edit glasses meshes yet? I tried the same method as clothing but the area of the package where the mesh name should be seems to not be there. o_o
Field Researcher
#84 Old 9th Feb 2005 at 9:29 PM
I've been having no luck with my meshes... Most of the time they still look like the original item or the body completely disappears. Is there some sort of compatibility issue with .obj files exported from Wings3D? If that is not it, I just have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks...
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 12:28 AM Last edited by petallotus : 11th Feb 2005 at 1:19 PM.
I'm having a problem with step 20. I click on 3IDR in filetypes then I click 3IDR in the packed files list. But I do not get the option for package in the plugin view.

Thanks everyone, I fixed my problem.
Test Subject
#86 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 1:34 AM
Thanks Briana the tut worked great and now my medieval sims can actually have that puffy skirt look and feel :yippee:
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saikatsu
Mwar, here's a question.

Do we have a way to edit glasses meshes yet? I tried the same method as clothing but the area of the package where the mesh name should be seems to not be there. o_o

You can do glasses meshes. I've had a hit'and miss success rate with them though. Some look fine, but because of the way they deform with the face in body shop or CAS, there are some weird variables. You can do it though, it's a pain in the ass at this point I think.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Brasstex
You can do glasses meshes. I've had a hit'and miss success rate with them though. Some look fine, but because of the way they deform with the face in body shop or CAS, there are some weird variables. You can do it though, it's a pain in the ass at this point I think.

May I ask how you did it? I couldn't find any Property Set in the BodyShop file to get the name from.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saikatsu
May I ask how you did it? I couldn't find any Property Set in the BodyShop file to get the name from.

Well, that's the thing, you don't need one. She just referenced the property set because it was an easy and efficient way of illustrating her point. The information you need, really just the name of the glasses, can be found in the texture sets, and if that's not right, look around. Remember, the step you feel that you're missing isn't even very important other than you need that name, which you can literally find in dozens of places. If you go into your game, enter the CreateAfamilly mode and if you have entered the boolprop cheat in the neighborhood, you could push shift/n in create a family and then your pointer will display the name of all clothing, glasses, etc, in the catalogue. Some one correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I think I did it myself a couple of times.

Brasstex
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 5:05 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 10th Feb 2005 at 7:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Brasstex
Well, that's the thing, you don't need one. She just referenced the property set because it was an easy and efficient way of illustrating her point. The information you need, really just the name of the glasses, can be found in the texture sets, and if that's not right, look around. Remember, the step you feel that you're missing isn't even very important other than you need that name, which you can literally find in dozens of places. If you go into your game, enter the CreateAfamilly mode and if you have entered the boolprop cheat in the neighborhood, you could push shift/n in create a family and then your pointer will display the name of all clothing, glasses, etc, in the catalogue. Some one correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I think I did it myself a couple of times.

Brasstex

Ahh, okay.
I'm still learning when it comes to this stuff. X3

Thank you!

EDIT: ... now I just... have to figure out which 3D ID Referencing File to change.

EDIT 2: Yeah, I totally have NO IDEA what to do here. There's a ton of 3D ID References, and all of the ones with a Resource Node and Shape reference in them have TWO of each. The ones I changed had absolutely no effect and didn't show any difference. :\
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 11:57 AM
Thank you so much!
A question, can we make hair meshes following this tutorial?
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 5:07 PM
Default Help
Hi thanks for your tutorial.
I' ve made a new mesh, and it works fine in the game, but the new mesh doesn't show up in bodyshop. It's frustrating because I can' recolor it...
Any idea Why?
Thanks again
Nat
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 10:58 PM
I am having a problem right at the start. I can't find the GMDC wrapper! What am I doing wrong? Am I just blind? Am I missing something?
Test Subject
#94 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 5:14 AM
It's a great tutorial. I followed every step and everything seemed good until got to the step39(replace the gmdc). an error box popped up. when i clicked it, another error box popped up. I checked every steps and tried many times, same errors. my gown-mesh editing seemed hopeless.

I attached the two error messages. hope someone will help me, please.
i used maya edited the mesh(very small changes).
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 5:39 AM Last edited by fleabay : 11th Feb 2005 at 5:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by iamcoming
I attached the two error messages. hope someone will help me, please.
i used maya edited the mesh(very small changes).

It does not matter how small the changes you make in Maya. If you edit an OBJ in Maya, most of the time you need to import and export through Milkshape to get it to work right.

I have Maya 6 and none of my tests with OBJ's saved from it work right. I always have to 'Milk It' as I kindly refer to the process now. I have even had a couple of Meshes that Milkshape doesn't fix.

I have not tried the trick of *not* importing faces into the mesh tool yet. That might work.

Field Researcher
#96 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 12:00 PM
[C:\documents and settings\yournamehere directory (if you opened it with recent files). [If it isn't in either of those places, check your saved sims and project directories, this thing is a little random. It mostly puts it in the last directory you navigated to, but sometimes the my documents parent folder mentioned.]

Mine is always where I last saved my package.
Test Subject
#97 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 12:06 PM
Thanks for your tutorial I like it

but when I click the Export to OBJ, I got this error message :banghead:

http://forums.modthesims2.com/attac...tid=30016&stc=1

hope someone will help me
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 1:08 PM
Stephanie - Looks to me like you got the new version of SimPE, but you didn't delete the GDMC plugin in your plugins folder (the new version has this built in, so you need to delete that). If you got a new version of SimPE within the last 24 hours or so, delete the file from yoru plugin folder - instructions are at the SimPE site (cuz I forget the exact filename to delete - starts with "cc" I believe...) Give that a try and see if it helps.

X.

P.S. Now I just have to figure out what my own problems are. Definitely in the naming "fix integrity" dealio, but I'm going bald...
Test Subject
#99 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fleabay
It does not matter how small the changes you make in Maya. If you edit an OBJ in Maya, most of the time you need to import and export through Milkshape to get it to work right.

I have Maya 6 and none of my tests with OBJ's saved from it work right. I always have to 'Milk It' as I kindly refer to the process now. I have even had a couple of Meshes that Milkshape doesn't fix.

I have not tried the trick of *not* importing faces into the mesh tool yet. That might work.

Thank you fleabay. I tried to use milkshape, but got the same errors. Could someone have a look of my files? i attached the mesh file saved in downloads, the modified obj files(one from maya, one from milkshape) and the original gmdc.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MESH_SUITE021005.rar (105.5 KB, 23 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  suite.rar (59.6 KB, 23 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  bbt.rar (43.3 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  originalgmdc.rar (101.3 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#100 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fleabay

Thank you fleabay. I tried milkshape but got the same errors. Could someone help me to look at my files. (one MESH package, modified obj and original gmdc)
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MESH_SUITE021005.rar (105.5 KB, 41 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  bbt.rar (43.3 KB, 38 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  originalgmdc.rar (101.3 KB, 37 downloads) - View custom content
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 4 of 54