Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 10:35 PM Last edited by Delphy : 2nd Mar 2006 at 12:06 AM.
Default Reclassification of items and new look downloads
Hi All,

Back when MTS2 first introduced the "Game Compatibility" option that allowed people to tag their items for a specific EP, it was designed around a "Works With" mindset and functionality.

Now that Open for Business has been released, we have changed this to a "Requires" functionality. What does this mean? Well, essentially, you should tick ONLY those EPs that are required to be installed when using your item. Do NOT tick them all - it is not a Works With, but a Requires option.

This functionality will hopefully extend past OfB onto the next EP and beyond, and is a lot easier to update.

Downloaders are encouraged to leave a note in a thread if a download is classified incorrectly.

All downloads previously classified as "All" are now classified as needing only the Sims 2 Original game.

You may also notice the Requires box has icons now and not checkboxes, and the main download browser also has these same icons. This hopefully makes it a lot more visual and easy to understand which Expansion Packs you need to be able to use the specific items.

We realise it's a different mindset, but it mirrors the one on the Exchange, and is a lot more user friendly.

Regards,
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 11:23 PM
Thanks-- this makes more sense. There's been a lot of time's I've downloaded something only to find it doesn't work in my game.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 11:38 PM
Great idea! thanks.
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 11:51 PM
This is great. Thank you
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 11:53 PM
thanks, the changes look great, i like how you can see what they are compatible with on the main downloads page as well, very nice job :moose:

Do not post my creations anywhere unless you have my permission

Check out my website!
Inventor
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 12:34 AM
The one question I have is how we'll know what will be required? If we have all the expansions, is there an easy way to tell?

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#7 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 12:40 AM
Yay! I think I've been very confused by this in the past. Thanks a lot!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 1:23 AM
wonderful idea!
the icons will help me TONS.
**smoozles**
Forum Resident
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 2:56 AM
The icons are great, thanks, Delphy! A new EP means a change, but is still great! Can't wait to get the new EP!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 4:32 AM
Reyn,

If the download has the normal Sims 2 icon on it then it's been classified as working with all expansion packs.

If it has a specific icon then it means you MUST have that Expansion Pack installed to be able to use the item.

Regards
Delphy

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 5:43 AM
I really love this new feature. I recently had some computer issues, now I have to reload all games, and haven't been able to load University for a month (and I've tried it all!). I just realized I don't need it...this will make it easier!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 6:41 AM
Thank you so much for changing this policy and clarifying it. It's very frustrating when people don't label what expansions their item requires. I think most of it has to do with confusion rather than carelessness. I've had many downloads crash my game because of this confusion and I really hope this helps things to change. Thanks again!

Julie =)

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." - 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Scholar
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 10:45 AM
this should help a lot.
thanks

Please note - I'm not taking any requests at the moment.

You may include my items in your uploads but please credit with a link to either the object or my creator page please.

My Sims 2 videos
Test Subject
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 12:25 PM
Thanks! You've read my mind. I don't have any expansion packs and it was a bit frustrating when I searched for downloads that only required sims2; I didn't get the results I needed. Now this will work much better for browsing and searching.

Inventor
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 12:31 PM
Nono - I mean for my own creations - some are ne brainers - like a house with a driveway and garage needs Nightlife. But what about objects?

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Instructor
#16 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Reyn
Nono - I mean for my own creations - some are ne brainers - like a house with a driveway and garage needs Nightlife. But what about objects?

If you own or know anyone who owns a copy of Prima Guide book, the objects which came out with each ep are listed there. If you don't, you are welcome to pm me as I have all copies.

Elen síla lumenn’omentielvo
A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting.
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Reyn,

If the download has the normal Sims 2 icon on it then it's been classified as working with all expansion packs.

If it has a specific icon then it means you MUST have that Expansion Pack installed to be able to use the item.

Regards
Delphy
Thanx just needed to know that, many people talk and explain stuff but not many actually say something, u do.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 4:59 PM
I love it, it's a great change and I'm sure it'll make all the difference. And save simmers time to boot.

Lilaviel: the avid downloader

"Life Drawing: An Excuse to See Naked People"
Test Subject
#19 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 5:32 PM Last edited by rennycaelan : 2nd Mar 2006 at 5:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy

Am I understanding that if it's marked only TS2 it is supposed to work with Uni and NL? I had to dumped almost all my downloads from MtS after installing Uni because of the Maxis changes made the downloads not compatible.

Unfortunately not all downloads for TS2 without EPs work after University. So where then do items for ONLY TS2 without any EPs go?

Now there's paintings that need NL marked as TS2 and even a page of drivable NL cars ( http://modthesims2.com/download.php...D=1&gametype=Go ) marked as TS2.

Also some of the posts contained two files, one for TS2 only and one that was EP ready.

I think the new categorisations are great, BUT the ones marked as "all" should been marked as needing Uni and NL instead of being demoted to TS2 only status.

I am so lost.

Edited to fix the quote command and to add:
Here's another example....

The community lot items contain 3 pages of items of which most of them NL to work
http://modthesims2.com/download.php...D=1&gametype=Go
but are not marked as needing it.

They will NOT work in TS2 alone or in Uni or OFB alone.

I don't have time to help recat everything, but I do hope it gets all sorted out soon and smoothly.

I see many couches in "TS2" that I had to remove from my game after installing Univeristy because they didn't work in the expansion. And several lights also.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#20 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 5:54 PM
rennycaelan, all I can say is: READ THE FIRST POST.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
#21 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
rennycaelan, all I can say is: READ THE FIRST POST.

All ready did. Several times. It doesn't fix the problem. Did you read MY post?

I guess I'm done here until everything gets recatgeorized right, which will just take time. I do think it's a good idea and easier, just going to take time to sort it all out right now.

Good luck Delphy! MtS is a great place and I'll be back!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#22 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 6:13 PM
It may have been discovered latter and posted latte ron in the thread.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 7:00 PM
renny,

It's up to the creators to tag thier items correctly. MTS2 only provides the framework for them to do so - if they them wrong then you need to let them know, but we aren't going to go through all 25,000 downloads on the site and check for compatibility.

Regards
Delphy

On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#24 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 7:08 PM
I think that some creators simply have no idea what their things are compatible with, so they guess. And they are often wrong.

But they won't know that they are wrong unless you tell them. They need to learn how to correctly classify their items, or else, they will continue to mismark them. So when you see something classified incorrectly, please tell the author by leaving a comment in the thread -- or by PM if there is no response to the comment after a few days.

They won't know there's a problem unless you tell them ...

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

I will be inactive indefinitely.
Blog
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 8:08 PM
I hope this does make things easier for creators and downloaders alike. As a downloader who plays without any expansion packs, I'm sure their are downloads I missed out on, because it was unclear whether or not an EP was required. And I can definitely sympathize with Venetia and Freetobejulie; it's all too easy to download an object that you think is safe for your configuration, but then it causes the whole game to act buggy! Thanks, Delphy and MTS2, for changing and clarifying the classification system.
Page 1 of 2