Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 8:28 AM
Default Reinstalled The Sims 3 on Windows 8.1 from Origin. Mods mysteriously don't work anymore
I've been at it for a week, trying to figure this out. Did Windows or a patch kill the ability to use mods?

GameVersion = 1.67.2.024017

My Resource.cfg contents:

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

Screenshots of my folders:

NOTE: The problem is not related in any way to Awesome Mod, as it was occurring before I installed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 9:09 AM
I see that you have framework setup. Did you installed the framework from awesome mod download. If you did, framework is outdated. Download the updated framework ("mods" folder) from mod the sims:

http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip

That one is good, and then just place all your mods back. It occured to me too, so I know. But if it doesn't work then I don't know.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I see that you have framework setup. Did you installed the framework from awesome mod download. If you did, framework is outdated. Download the updated framework ("mods" folder) from mod the sims:

http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip

That one is good, and then just place all your mods back. It occured to me too, so I know. But if it doesn't work then I don't know.

That's the one that I used. As I said, I have been experiencing this before I installed Awesome Mod, so that's not the problem.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 10:45 PM
Thank you for the succinct report.
Now, please define "don't work anymore"? How are they not working anymore, and how did you establish this?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Thank you for the succinct report.
Now, please define "don't work anymore"? How are they not working anymore, and how did you establish this?

I mean just that. They do not work. The intro plays even with the nointro package, the game behaves as though Awesome Mod isn't even there, etc. You know... They don't work.
Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 5:51 PM
Hi, has anyone found a solution to this yet? I have windows 8.1, the latest sims 3 patches, and the same exact issue as Velvet_Ravyn. Everything they have said is word-for-word my own issue as well. I have followed all instructions on how to correctly install the Framework setup from mod the sims and the intro played and the skin I downloaded and correctly placed into my packages, that didn't even show up. I uninstalled the Framework setup and manually installed a mods folder (which was followed step-for-step precisely), and I got the same result. The game continues to act as if that mods folder does not exist. I do not know what to do and if anyone had a resolution to this issue- that would be great, if not, I'll have to return the game back to Origin since my initial intention of purchasing the sims 3 and other packs were to start a series and to possibly design cc, but I am unable to do either.

Thanks
Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:24 PM
installing the framework is still all the same. the directory is little different on windows 8 though:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\
e.p. its not My Documents like on Vista

did you started the game in its EA version first before setting up the framework? did you deleted the cache files before launching and checking if the mods (no intro hack e.p.) work? i am really curious why some people have problems with that and others not

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th May 2015 at 11:23 AM
I too am having this issue. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but there's value in keeping in mind that more than one person is having trouble.

Windows 8.1, game seems to refuse to acknowledge the existence of a mods folder. I suppose I should be grateful it's working at all!

Everything is ok in the end. If it's not ok, then it's not the end.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th May 2015 at 12:35 PM
Most likely your framework isn't set up properly, if you post a new thread you'll see instructions on how to provide the info we need to check your framework.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th May 2015 at 12:41 PM
I can confirm Nysha's message. Been playing on Windows 8, then 8.1 for over 2 years now and had no issues with mods at all (both times I have used the FrameWork Setup file that you can get from this board).
Though maybe some problems with my GPU card and other software that needed to be specially made for 8.1, other than that it works just like when I had it on XP or Vista.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 11th May 2015 at 7:09 AM
Success! For those searching in future, updating the game/installing more expansions seems to have done the trick. I'd hazard a guess that the move from Program Files to My Documents is the culprit here. (Therefore, if neither of those is an option, set up your framework in program files like we used to have to do.)

Thanks anyway guys. Happy Simming :-)

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 11th May 2015 at 9:13 AM
Sounds like you needed to patch.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 11th May 2015 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Sounds like you needed to patch.

Just to add, applying or reapplying the Super Patch fixes many things the incremental patch will fix. If you are reapplying the SP it will tell you you are already patched but proceed anyway. Clear caches and restart game.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 12th May 2015 at 6:28 AM
I used the "update game" in the launcher and it told me I was up to date. I was hesitant to download the superpatch, now that I think about it I don't really know why. Too long to download maybe?

Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrazySheep808
I used the "update game" in the launcher and it told me I was up to date. I was hesitant to download the superpatch, now that I think about it I don't really know why. Too long to download maybe?

I have Win8.1.1 and do not have any issues at all as far as modding CC and simpaks are concerned. As long as you have the correct framework installed and recourge.cfg installed, your good to go, if you know the way to installing after that...

Oh and you have to be up to date on your patches which you have to check every time before you start your game whether it shows or not.
Site Helper
#16 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 5:02 PM
As long as we are necroing a 2 year old thread to add extra information you might also add that One Drive has been known to confuse the poor, ancient game into thinking that the folder named "Documents" in One Drive is actually the one that it was supposed to be using. (If it's there, you can move everything back where it is supposed to be and then make sure that the game can't find One Drive. )

But if they didn't come back before this, chances are that the game is probably fixed. Or they have moved on to Sims 4.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook