1 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 6:16 PM
The realism of the CC skins in TS2 still can't be touched by the CC skins in TS3 as of yet, especially with darker skin tones. lol I'm forgetting what skins I use to use in TS2 but they could look very realistic

Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 6:42 PM
There was a far greater tendency to photoskin in Sims 2. I'll take more cartoony skins if it means my sims (including the kids) don't look like they have to scrape their makeup off with a belt sander every night,

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 7:40 PM
I guess that's the one thing I wasn't fond of during the Sims 2 era. Some of the skins for sims were so "detailed" that they looked painted on and fake. Like Zokugai said, it looks like they have pounds and pounds of make up on. Not pretty at all. I agree that the skins in sims 3 are a little too flawless and boring, but we are slowly progressing in that department to make them more realistic
Field Researcher
#54 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 9:32 PM
lol I guess you guys disagree with the photos I posted.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 9:45 PM
It doesn't look vary realistic. The Sims 2 modded Sims still retain their characteristics, with skins that don't really fit their faces. It doesn't look very realistic at all.
It doesn't look bad, but facial skins as photo-realistic needs a mesh to compliment it.

The Sims 3 Sims are better in this department, with skin, due to improvements and usage of the material, but nothing is perfect.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 3:34 AM
I dont get why people would like more realistic graphic in the game. I like the semi-realistic-cartoony blend. Its looks like a 3d cartoon, which fits their sometimes cartoony behaviours.
Top Secret Researcher
#57 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aGOLDENbox
The realism of the CC skins in TS2 still can't be touched by the CC skins in TS3 as of yet, especially with darker skin tones. lol I'm forgetting what skins I use to use in TS2 but they could look very realistic

This is not realistic. This is creepy. The sim looks like it is suffering from skin diseases.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 3:37 AM
Uncanny Valley says hello.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 8:20 AM Last edited by Iggysaurus : 1st Mar 2012 at 9:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by PunkyBreester
Oh.. THAT's why my font is so stupid looking and hard to read... :/

I just figured this out. If you disable Morphological Filtering in CCC, the text will be so much clearer! I can't believe it was that simple. All this time I thought my HD monitor was at fault.

ETA: It will, however, make edges slightly more pixelated, even with Edge Detect enabled and Super-Sample AA. So basically it's a trade off—clearer image or clearer text. Ugh.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 12:24 PM
Photoshopped skins are not really pretty. I onced used a skin in TS2 that made everybody, even males, look like they had make-up, and the skin was really really oily looking.

I guess HP never did the un-shining project she mention in this post. Would have loved to see my Sims clothe be less shiny
Instructor
#61 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 1:38 PM
I tweak my sims facial features around. A lot. But in the end, they come out looking roughly the same. My YA & adults all look twenty years old with perfectly smooth skin.

Greasy, overly-photoshopped skin was definitely a problem back in TS2, but you can't argue that there was also a greater variety of faces. There was also complexion and depth, with subtle signs of aging that gives some character to your sims. There were also details such as the shadowing underneath the eyes/around the nose/underneath the arch of the brow, and the highlighting of cheekbones.

TS3 doesn't really have any equivalent options in terms of facial contouring.

♥ ❤ ❥ Tumblr (which I never update) ♥ ❤ ❥
My Blog
Scholar
#62 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 3:05 PM
I disagree, Misanthrope. TS3 has plenty of options in facial contouring. Way more than TS2. It's just harder to do. Sure, in TS2 you could toss on some eyeshadow that made the eyes look sunken. Or, in TS3, you could actually make the eyes sunken. If you take the time to work on your sims, TS3 has infinitely more simbuilding potential than 2 ever did.

And without those godforsaken celebrity skins screwing up your neighborhood's genetics.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#63 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 5:31 PM
TS3 sure has improved sim creating options than in TS2, but there are also some steps back... like the overall balance and facial proportions, meaning that the faces are very un-natural, no matter how much you pile on CC or try to tweak the face: The ridiculously huge forehead symptom, Darwin-defying facial proportions, permanent-smile mouths, the always visible nasolabial folds in the default skin tone, the permanent turkey necks on every sim... yeah A LOT could be improved.

As a fan of realism and as a sim maker, I'll tell you that it's very, very difficult to make realistic sims in TS3. Trying to achieve the level that other games' characters have is impossible without a lot of skill and knowledge that are acquired through spending time and effort in learning how it's done. So you can't just 'go ahead' and easily make a realistic, natural face in TS3.

It would be nice to have sims that would be a compromise between both the realistically natural AND the fun game character vibe. I think TSM has succeeded in that quite nicely. Hopefully one day TS4 will be taking us to that kind of direction, so that you can easily make both cartoony AND very realistic sims, depending on your personal preference. Not to mention, more body sliders and height sliders too please. And maybe a hair length slider to go along with animated, moving hair.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
And maybe a hair length slider to go along with animated, moving hair.

Hair length <3

I would love that instead of hair types, you could do things to the Sims existing hair. Instead having to change the hair completely you could pull it up, brade it, and even have it be longer and straight when it's wet.

Also, clothing that moves and sets according to your Sims body-shape, instead of it being a certain "block" like they have been in TS2 and TS3.

This will probably choke most computers, and make making CC harder but how pretty it would be if it would be true.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#65 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 6:30 PM
And there are already games out there that have all that, so it should be very possible to make happen. That is, if EA is WILLING to go down that road. Because they sure are more than able to do that, so all they need is the will to do so...

In TS2, the game's own hairs are animated (not sure if all of them though). TS2 has CC hair some of which have animation included, some of them don't. So I don't think that making CC hairs would necessarily have to be harder, as there could be hairs without the length option and/or animation too right?

I also believe that the performance with all of this would depend on the specs of a specific computer... like if you'd have a lower end PC, the hair animation wouldn't show but the game itself would work just fine. I think that's how it was in TS2, so it must be pure laziness that we don't have even animated hair in TS3, shame on you EA!
Instructor
#66 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
I disagree, Misanthrope. TS3 has plenty of options in facial contouring. Way more than TS2. It's just harder to do. Sure, in TS2 you could toss on some eyeshadow that made the eyes look sunken. Or, in TS3, you could actually make the eyes sunken. If you take the time to work on your sims, TS3 has infinitely more simbuilding potential than 2 ever did.

^ Here's an example of my sims to illustrate what I'm talking about. They're both very handsome, and I tweak their facial features around plenty. Although they are fairly realistic-looking, their faces are still bland and smooth. With TS3, it's almost impossible to achieve a raw, rugged look. Even if I tweak around the facial features of my sims, the end result is hardly noticeable. Deeper eyes? Higher cheekbones? When you take the picture out of CAS, they all look about the same. When the light hits the face at a direct angle, they all end up looking rather... flat.

When I take pictures, I have carefully adjust the lighting and angles to highlight any depth and contouring of their faces. (Compare the top row vs. bottom row, where the light hits at different angles).

Often times, you end up with something like this:

^(It's probably not very nice of me to hijack these pictures, but this is the perfect example of what I am talking about).

Again, they are pretty sims but there is still that same, plastic-looking face and perfectly smooth skin.

In my opinion, TS2 had a greater variety. Yes, there was a lot of greasy, porous, overly-photoshopped skintones, but photo-skins can still look nice if done with taste.

Frankly, I miss the ugliness of it all. The pores. The scars. The blemishes. The sunken eyes. The hollow cheeks. The subtle signs of aging. The noticeable depth & contours which can be achieved without having to rely on manipulation of the lighting.

(Man, I just went to a long-ass rant. Okay, I'll shut up now).

♥ ❤ ❥ Tumblr (which I never update) ♥ ❤ ❥
My Blog
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
Photoshopped skins are not really pretty. I onced used a skin in TS2 that made everybody, even males, look like they had make-up, and the skin was really really oily looking.

I guess HP never did the un-shining project she mention in this post. Would have loved to see my Sims clothe be less shiny

HP is a busy woman with kids and a life. If she wants to take her own sweet time doing a hobby (yes, contrary to popular believes, modding a game is not a career), so be it.
Forum Resident
#68 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 4:10 AM
I have sims with sunken cheeks, purplish eyebags, acne, burn marks, crossed eyes all of it, through custom content. The Sims 2 sims all look the same, it doesn't really "feel" like your creating your sim in that game to me. No customization, which means I'm not as attached to that Sim. Like in Sims 3. And then size, your sim in sims 2 has two sizes, fat and skinny..... I don't know, I just don't get the hoopla over that game (Sims 2) it was awesome for it's time, but I can't go back to it, especially when I go into Sims 2 Cas... I instantly just end up uninstalling, because I don't feel like I created it, it just feels like you slap a bunch of CC on the sim and viola! With sims 3, you actually start to learn how to sculpt there faces, you HAVE to have extra sliders, or you will get bland sims who all look alike. But I love sliders and I love sculpting and perfecting sims, I love being able to match this skirt with another blouse, or a bikini top if I want to....
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 7:57 AM
Hair length <3

I would love that instead of hair types, you could do things to the Sims existing hair. Instead having to change the hair completely you could pull it up, brade it, and even have it be longer and straight when it's wet.

Also, clothing that moves and sets according to your Sims body-shape, instead of it being a certain "block" like they have been in TS2 and TS3.

This will probably choke most computers, and make making CC harder but how pretty it would be if it would be true.

I know it's been said that other games have those options but I wanted to highlight something. CCP actually has a new (2010) "carbon character technology" which is all about hair/clothing movement-animation and live shadows. You can see it in action here
I just wish EA wasn't lazy with their sims franchise. There is no competition: Why would they have to work hard to get our money? -.- Those marketing mentality types are just destroying what could be the peak of this franchise but it is dying slowly as of right now.

(just a little off-topic again: This kind of technology will be applied in their future big MMORPG - a merged with White wolf - World of Darkness. So if they can add this in a MMO, with great character customization, there are no excuses for EA to not do as good with a single player-sandbox game. No excuses.)

Take in consideration that I'm french and I try my best to write an understandable english :)

[ booboolalaland ] [ goodieslalaland ]
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#70 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bij0ux
(just a little off-topic again: This kind of technology will be applied in their future big MMORPG - a merged with White wolf - World of Darkness. So if they can add this in a MMO, with great character customization, there are no excuses for EA to not do as good with a single player-sandbox game. No excuses.)

YES. They have all the resources available to them to make a brilliant game. Not just a new game, but a GREAT new game. They shouldn't settle. A little bit of ambition please EA! Otherwise they'll get run over and left behind by other games' development. The players see the fast developing open worlds and character making and get frustrated if The Sims won't be on the same level, so to chime in, there really are no excuses!
Mad Poster
#71 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
HP is a busy woman with kids and a life. If she wants to take her own sweet time doing a hobby (yes, contrary to popular believes, modding a game is not a career), so be it.

Kids like in multiple? I thought she only had one.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#72 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 9:57 PM
Kids like in multiple? I thought she only had one.

A new little one arrived this year - two kids under 4 = no time for sims...

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mad Poster
#73 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 12:51 AM
There is a creator at C-Styles named Shyne that have different skin tones, ruddy, porous, with acne scars. If you look at this google search for her: https://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C...iw=1035&bih=907

There are pictures if you look at the MS3B links. They are pretty good skins for the not so perfect sims.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#74 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 5:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
TS3 sure has improved sim creating options than in TS2, but there are also some steps back... like the overall balance and facial proportions, meaning that the faces are very un-natural, no matter how much you pile on CC or try to tweak the face: The ridiculously huge forehead symptom, Darwin-defying facial proportions, permanent-smile mouths, the always visible nasolabial folds in the default skin tone, the permanent turkey necks on every sim... yeah A LOT could be improved.

As a fan of realism and as a sim maker, I'll tell you that it's very, very difficult to make realistic sims in TS3. Trying to achieve the level that other games' characters have is impossible without a lot of skill and knowledge that are acquired through spending time and effort in learning how it's done. So you can't just 'go ahead' and easily make a realistic, natural face in TS3.

It would be nice to have sims that would be a compromise between both the realistically natural AND the fun game character vibe. I think TSM has succeeded in that quite nicely. Hopefully one day TS4 will be taking us to that kind of direction, so that you can easily make both cartoony AND very realistic sims, depending on your personal preference. Not to mention, more body sliders and height sliders too please. And maybe a hair length slider to go along with animated, moving hair.

Lord, hair length slider would be fantastic. I would even be okay with it not being completely fluid with just different selections for hair length and then different hairstyles per length or SOMETHING. That's one of my largest pet peeves for the outfits...you can change your hair per outfit but the selections are rather limited and the idea of my sim growing 6 inches of hair for one outfit and then chopping it off for another is completely off-putting. Also, the "dye your hair and the 'fake' color is what is passed on to the children"...um really? At least in TS2 there was a "custom" button that the game recognized as not one of the 4 regular, binned colors. Please don't let my wild 20 year old decide to dye her once blonde hair pink and end up with a pink haired baby when she gets knocked up...

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Mad Poster
#75 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 7:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
A new little one arrived this year - two kids under 4 = no time for sims...

Congratulations for her. And yes, she must be real busy.

Quote: Originally posted by heaven
Lord, hair length slider would be fantastic. I would even be okay with it not being completely fluid with just different selections for hair length and then different hairstyles per length or SOMETHING. That's one of my largest pet peeves for the outfits...you can change your hair per outfit but the selections are rather limited and the idea of my sim growing 6 inches of hair for one outfit and then chopping it off for another is completely off-putting.
What would be also great is that if all hats were items like accessories, you could add them to any hair. I know that there are accessories hats, but EA hats are always the most neglected items in my game due to ugly hair that accompanies the hat.
Page 3 of 4