Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 8:13 AM
Default Is it stealing?
I play and mod sims 3 and skyrim, and I always noticed that skyrim pretty much only uses sims 3 hair.
A couple skyrim blogs have been called out for not getting permission to convert hairs and such. 1 example; http://iamthekingofsass.tumblr.com/...lready-wrote-in

Though I don't know how to make creations myself, I feel that if someone didn't ask me permission to convert my work, I would be pretty upset, too. I'm just curious what you guys think about it?
Someone replied to that post, and said something like "You shouldn't have put it up for free on the internet if you didn't want this to happen." This is just a total slap in the face to creators who work really hard. (IMO)
So, putting something up on the internet gives anyone the right to take it? I don't know, it kind of gets my blood boiling that people are so rude.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 8:47 AM
Did she really respond with "lol no"? What a rude douche.

I don't delve into the world of creating, or converting, so I don't really know how to feel about it, but it would be nice to just ask permission to use it.
Inventor
#3 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 9:18 AM
Wow. If I'm interpreting this correctly it's as blatant a case of " Do as I say , not as I do" as I've ever seen. I click their skyrim downloads link and the top post bitches about Sims modders being "piss babies". Then I return to the link leahsimsx kindly posted and read " Do not convert my works for skyrim (other games) or as material..." Insert sarcasm font here... "But I don't know , they talk real mean and tough and have a sccccaaaaaaary avatar of something in a hood with yellow eyes! Whereas my avatar is only me and I've only been getting in bar brawls since fifteen years before they were shitting themselves. I'm pretty intimidated and the "piss babies" comment hurts my tender inner simmer. I'm scairt"

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 9:30 AM
Did she really call simmers who told them not to convert their shit, piss babies? Wow. I use to play skyrim and I noticed that 99.9% of the downloadable hairs up on nexus are originally created by simmers, such as newsea, Zauma, peggy, ect. They had a little credit thing, but no links back to blogs/sites, and I always suspected they didn't get permission to convert. I never said anything about it because I don't like to get into that kind of drama, but hopefully simmers will see what they are doing and tell these people off.
Make sure you let the original creators know that their work is being converted. Some of them may have given permission, but it never hurts to make sure. In my eyes, it is stealing.
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 10:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Woohoojuicesimoleons
Wow. I use to play skyrim and I noticed that 99.9% of the downloadable hairs up on nexus are originally created by simmers, such as newsea, Zauma, peggy, ect.

No, there's skyrim modders who make their own hair too and no, just because you made a hair doesn't mean that style belong to you
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 10:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LOL500
No, there's skyrim modders who make their own hair too and no, just because you made a hair doesn't mean that style belong to you

Give me five posts of hair that isn't converted on nexus other than SOME of the apachii hair. Bet you can't. And yes, if you create the hair, that hair belongs to you, moron. Sure, the style doesn't belong to you, they probably got the idea for certain hairs from photos, but no, just because they get an idea from a photo doesn't give someone the right to convert their creation without permission.
Alchemist
#7 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 10:40 AM
I think converting hairs and re-editing them and then re-publish it is nothing wrong, since this is a game that is made by EA/Maxis I don't really think anyone has the right to claim stuff like that. Having a policy that someone re-publishing stuff having to mention the original creator is alright, but seriously it's not stealing to convert or re-edit without asking - because what gives?! It's illegal to make money out of your own creations since it's not your game and it's just some kind of hairstyle in a game!!!

The same with converting Skyrim hair to The Sims, nothing wrong since it's not your game, you just bought a copy of it.
One Minute Ninja'd
#8 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 11:38 AM
On the flip side, there are lots of folks who offer retextures and edits of popular hairs from known designers for the Sims itself. They will give credit to the original designers, but as long as there is no monetary gain in offering the edit, I've never heard of folks getting too upset over that. And ZenGarden is somewhat on track, as the EULA does state that any items "created" for the sims technically "belongs" to EA. In truth, IP laws in a situation like this are pretty muddy, and will vary by country anyway.

Having said that, I do believe the proper course of action should be to provide create to the original designer of the hair/object. And calling the original designers "piss babies" is something best said anonymously from behind a keyboard, because if you called someone that in the real world, you would be in for a justifiably world of hurt. That is just plain obnoxious.
Scholar
#9 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 12:00 PM
The Nexus takes a hard line approach to piracy, occasionally bordering on over-zealous. So if you're the content author and can support the claim that it's your stuff, they'll probably not just take it down, but ban the guy that uploaded it too. Would probably do more good than bitching about it here.

And if you're not the author, well, bear in mind that just because you saw it here first, it doesn't necessarily mean it was made for The Sims first, nor that it was original at that point. A lot of stuff got converted to more than one game, basically.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 1:47 PM
Most people don't seem to understand that when something is uploaded to internet it becomes public domain. Yeah it's sad all that respect to someone's hard work disappears in the web world.
On the other hand many people convert skyrim items to sims even if the creators of the game worked hard on that stuff too, but you don't seem them complaining about it.
It is what it is. Learn to live with it and don't waste your precious time making yourself sad over something that will never change. Do something positive. Negativity won't get you anywhere.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PuffyAmi
Most people don't seem to understand that when something is uploaded to internet it becomes public domain.

How so? Public domain = no copyright or expired copyright. Public domain does not = oh, it's on the internet so I must be able to do whatever I want with it.
Instructor
#12 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 2:57 PM
Most people don't seem to understand that when something is uploaded to internet it becomes public domain.

No. It doesn't become public domain.

I've seen people stealing gifs on tumblr that were reported and taken down so try reporting the blog.

One thing is that the person is stealing content without giving any credit and what agravates it is that that person is calling simmers "whack piss babies". Somebody needs to bring back the bratty kid back to earth
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 3:05 PM

I don't understand what you mean by this. There is plenty of copyrighted content on the Internet, and some copyright holders are quite aggressive about defending it. In general, works of authorship are always copyright by the author whether or not they label it that way, and I have never heard of there being an exception for online material.
Alchemist
#14 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 3:15 PM
Oh, no! Another report of content stealing again? I'm already tired of reading about Sims4forum theft and then there's this again. Can people learn to credit and ask for permission?

Just call me Nikel
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 4:49 PM
yeah there are lots of stuff that is copyrighted on the internet and uploading copyrighted material is illegal, but this does not apply to sims created content in any way, shape or form, unless its specified directly by the creator that the material will not be re distributed then is willing to back it up with a law suit when it is (which honestly wouldn't get very far ), so the choices are stop uploading free material or stop complaining when someone shares it without your permission.

Honestly I always respect every sim creator's wishes, but there are plenty of people who don't and never will (no matter what a creator would say about it).
What I rather find wrong is when somebody re-uploads others' content etc. and then the but-hurt creator takes their creations down from everyone and punish even the ones who have done nothing wrong. Why I say? Can a creator really be so oblivious to believe no one will wrong them? You have to expect the worst from the internet if you're going the be part of it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 5:00 PM
yeah there are lots of stuff that is copyrighted on the internet and uploading copyrighted material is illegal, but this does not apply to sims created content in any way, shape or form, unless its specified directly by the creator that the material will not be re distributed then is willing to back it up with a law suit when it is (which honestly wouldn't get very far ), so the choices are stop uploading free material or stop complaining when someone shares it without your permission.

Honestly I always respect every sim creator's wishes, but there are plenty of people who don't and never will (no matter what a creator would say about it).
What I rather find wrong is when somebody re-uploads others' content etc. and then the but-hurt creator takes their creations down from everyone and punish even the ones who have done nothing wrong. Why I say? Can a creator really be so oblivious to believe no one will wrong them? You have to expect the worst from the internet if you're going the be part of it.

So, people who create should just expect, and accept if their content is converted, and re-uploaded without permission? I think not.
Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Woohoojuicesimoleons
Give me five posts of hair that isn't converted on nexus other than SOME of the apachii hair. Bet you can't. And yes, if you create the hair, that hair belongs to you, moron. Sure, the style doesn't belong to you, they probably got the idea for certain hairs from photos, but no, just because they get an idea from a photo doesn't give someone the right to convert their creation without permission.

Oh, so quick to resort to name-calling, I'm scared. So you're just a troll who want to discredit skyrim modding?

If you just want stuff from the nexus you can just use their search bar and I'd like to see you prove that some of the apachii hair wasn't illegally converted.
Because if it was, I bet people like you would have harassed the uploader to no end.
The only real significant bad mod was just the sg hair mod and it's since been voluntarily removed.
Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LOL500
Oh, so quick to resort to name-calling, I'm scared. So you're just a troll who want to discredit skyrim modding?

If you just want stuff from the nexus you can just use their search bar and I'd like to see you prove that some of the apachii hair wasn't illegally converted.
Because if it was, I bet people like you would have harassed the uploader to no end.
The only real significant bad mod was just the sg hair mod and it's since been voluntarily removed.

Wrong again. No, I don't discredit skyrim modders. I think that what they do to the game is beautiful.
Never did I say that anything was 'illegally converted'. I don't think it's illegal to convert sims 3 hairs to skyrim, I just think it's an ass move to do without permission.

What exactly is your point here? And I still haven't seen your five posts on hair that hasn't been converted.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 6:56 PM
Me and my big mouth, why'd I think anyone would see things from a different perspective? People just keep supporting the same old words and "sheeping" on.

I just tried to give a different approach to this matter so sim creators didn't waste their time getting upset by something that will never, ever, EVER change. Just be grateful of those good people who respect and love what you make, because the asses will carry on doing whatever they want as long as the internet lives on.

I'm off
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 7:02 PM
Again, the Nexus is very hard-line about stuff converted without permission. Stuff is taken down and people get banned for that kinda thing.

So what we have is basically their word that there was no such complaint about those mods, vs your personal assertion about such "ass moves".

I'll also note that what you use is a textbook fallacy: the argument from ignorance. You don't know about such mods, therefore they're converted without permission. No. It doesn't work that way. If you assert that something exists -- in this case, stuff hosted there that was converted without permission -- then the burden of proof is on you to show what it is. It's not someone else's burden to check who what gave permission and for what, and prove the contrary.

It's like how if I asserted that Australia is full of flying pigs, the burden of proof would be on me to show that even one exists, not on someone else to show that all pigs in Australia are in fact land-bound.

So the fact that you didn't see such posts means nothing. It's not his burden of proof.
Scholar
#21 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 7:06 PM
Me and my big mouth, why'd I think anyone would see things from a different perspective? People just keep supporting the same old words and "sheeping" on.

I just tried to give a different approach to this matter so sim creators didn't waste their time getting upset by something that will never, ever, EVER change. Just be grateful of those good people who respect and love what you make, because the asses will carry on doing whatever they want as long as the internet lives on.

But it's as silly and wrong to expect people to just see a point of view where the laws don't apply, as it would be to claim that stuff becomes free once a shop places it outside. The copyright laws and international copyright treaties are very clear about what is and what isn't public domain. It means stuff on which the copyright ended or was voluntarily terminated. It doesn't mean stuff you can find on the Internet.

It's not even a matter of point of view, it's actually a pretty clear and well defined legal matter.

So basically, yes, why would you think anyone would agree to an assertion that laws no longer apply?
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 8:48 PM Last edited by r_deNoube : 10th Oct 2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Clarify attribution! My own medicine, etc.
EDIT: @puffyami, I concur with what @moraelin said: {/EDIT}
Quote:
...why would you expect anyone to agree to an assertion that laws no longer apply?

As well, I disagree with your viewpoint because I find it inconsistent. The inconsistency comes from supporting the choice of not uploading at all -- in fact, of stating that it's the only way to protect the author's interest in the work at all -- while simultaneously objecting to the choice of removing content I've once uploaded. For some reason you see the second choice (but not the first) as "butt-hurt creators punishing people who've done nothing wrong". This assumes some kind of obligation on an author to keep hosting a given piece of content forever, even in a place from which it's being plagiarized. That isn't an obligation that I've ever heard of before.

The world is full of examples of people offering something in a way that assumes some amount of good faith, and then withdrawing it only once they find that someone is taking unfair advantage of it. There's nothing wrong with that. It's actually sort of a normal way for people to interact.

EDIT: I regret trying to cast this as a matter of law. Usually plagiarism is not usually handled as a legal matter, but through the norms of the community involved. In fiction writing, journalism, academic fields of all kinds, etc., it is very common and appropriate to draw upon other people's work, with attribution. When proper credit is not given, a common consequence is that the plagiarist is denounced within that community, not that they get sued or prosecuted. If it's a student passing off someone else's work as their own, they may lose credit in the class, etc. In none of those cases, though, would the original author be denounced as "butt-hurt" for objecting to the uncredited use of their work.
Scholar
#23 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
As well, I disagree with your viewpoint because I find it inconsistent. The inconsistency comes from supporting the choice of not uploading at all -- in fact, of stating that it's the only way to protect the author's interest in the work at all -- while simultaneously objecting to the choice of removing content I've once uploaded. For some reason you see the second choice (but not the first) as "butt-hurt creators punishing people who've done nothing wrong". This assumes some kind of obligation on an author to keep hosting a given piece of content forever, even in a place from which it's being plagiarized. That isn't an obligation that I've ever heard of before.

Huh? Where did *I* say any of that? I'm thinking you wanted to answer that to someone else.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#24 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 9:58 PM
It's funny. All these kinds of discussions sooner or later touch the legal aspects, if not focus on them. What does that matter, though? A creator cannot stop others from plagiarizing their creations. There may be some cases in which it's possible, but those are the exception. And yes, it hurts. I don't want to diminish in any way the right of creators to be hurt for that. Nor do I want to excuse plagiarists. As far as I am concerned, they can choke on something.

I've seen creators leave because of plagiarism, extremely talented ones too. None of them stopped to think about what it is that started them. And made them go on to that point. If they did and their answer were "to be in control", then at least stopping to release anything would have been the right thing to do. I doubt anyone ever start creating to be in control, though. Some start to find out if they can do it. That's how I started by the way. Or because they want something specific nobody else made yet. I do like to believe, that the only thing to keep someone going, is having fun in creating and enjoying the happy reactions of downloaders. The fun is key, though. If you lose the fun, you'll stop creating.

What I wanna say is, that plagiarism doesn't diminish the fun of creating. Nor does it diminish the appreciation of a bunch of nice downloaders. And the nice ones are the majority. So don't let a couple of asshats spoil your fun.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Scholar
#25 Old 11th Oct 2014 at 9:14 AM
I guess there are as many reasons to get into modding as there are people. Personally I got into it to help other people get into it, back in ye olde days when there wasn't even a construction kit or NifSkope for Fallout 3. Cue much poking into the files with a hex editor and making a tutorial on how to make recolours with a hex editor. In the meantime, well, I learned to make meshes but my goals haven't changed much, so I make a point of releasing my FO3/NV/Skyrim stuff into the public domain. If anyone wants to incorporate my stuff into their own mods, they're welcome to. Not everyone can start directly with making their own meshes too. If they even learn to edit the damage values in the Creation Kit to set the damage to 1 and add a stun effect to my laser pistol (one guy did exactly that), hey, they've made the first step.

But other people have other ideas, and I think it helps if they know that they do have the law on their side, as well as the support of many of the major site admins. (And if a major site makes a point of not giving a flip, talk to a lawyer. They can serve them an official notice.) If someone copied your meshes on the Nexus, don't just complain HERE and quit, complain to an admin THERE. Whatever they pirated will disappear real quick until it's reviewed, and if it's indeed copied, it will disappear for ever.

NB, though, only do it if it's indeed YOUR work and you know you never gave permission. Don't take initiative just because you see Ren's ponytail there and you had it in your TS2 game too, and you just took a wild guess that it's pirated. I'm using that as an example because those were actually first made for Oblivion, and actually the TS2 versions are the conversion.
Page 1 of 2