Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 4:34 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default What does crc error mean? and how do I solve it?
What does crc error mean? and how do I solve it?

I uninstalled my game, for some RAM issues, but when I tried to install it back again, because I already have more RAM now, this CRC error came in.

crc error: the file c:/program files/electronic arts/the sims 3 /caches/sunset valley.objectcache
doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. the medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted:
contact your software vendor.

Thank You Very Much.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 6:02 PM
When do you get that error?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
When do you get that error?

Thank You for replying. During re-installation of the game.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 3:28 PM
Does the CRC error always flag the exact same file? Or, the filename differs each reinstall?
Did you do the Ccleaner step, for the uninstall?
Did we ever get to see the full system specs, instead of in dribs and drabs? How much of the harddisk is used up and how much is free?

Also,
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
If you have a lot of issues, another potential source is a failing Harddisk.
from https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=517385
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 3:46 PM
Thank You for replying, and sorry for the late reply, I wasn't able to attend to MTS the past days, I was busy re-installing TS3 all the time, and of course, work not related to TS3.

System Information report written at: 01/13/14 23:39:43
System Name: OLYN-PC
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OLYN-PC
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model NJ036AA-A2K p6055d
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.23, 2/11/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Republic of the Philippines
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name olyn-PC\olyn
Time Zone Taipei Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.67 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.02 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.25 GB
Page File Space 5.86 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Are these info dribs and drabs? These came from Accessories>>>System Tools>>>System Information.

If these are dribs and drabs, how then, do I get to the reliable one?

Thank You Again in advance.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 4:24 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    • If you have Dual-graphics, please post your complete DxDiag report in your thread. And put in between [ spoiler ] specs here [ /spoiler ] tags (remove the spaces).

Nope, that link. ^^
I need to see the Hard disk drive section...what you have posted is in bits and pieces, spread in various threads. So, it is hard to see the whole picture. Please post the FULL DxDiag report.

Ah! I see now why you're encountering so many issues.
Quote:
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic

Home Basic is a reduced-features-version of the Vista OS. The main argument that supports why a machine on Home Basic cannot play Sims is that in this Operating System, some of the Desktop Features have been disabled. So just think - if the "Desktop Aero glass, animations, visual effects" are disabled in the Operating System, how can this machine run Sims 3 to its full capacity?

Sources:
- windows-vista-ultimate-business-enterprise-home-premium-and-basic-editions-features-comparison-and-matrix
- side-by-side-comparison-of-vista-versions
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 5:30 PM Last edited by ellacharmed : 15th Jan 2014 at 3:17 AM.
Ok, thanks.

In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 3:34 AM
That machine is definitely not equipped to run Sims 3. Not with a CPU-RAM-GPU combo as such. Especially with the limitations of the Vista Home Basic Operating System. It is now clear why this machine is loaded with this OS in the first place. The hardware cannot support a full-fledged OS.
And how to expect Sims 3 to run when even the DxDiag report crashes when trying to do the 3D portion, and also in stage 1?
Quote:
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in Direct3D (stage 2) & DirectShow (stage 1)

But this is puzzling. This thread shows that you have a GT 630 GPU. http://db.modthesims.info/showthrea...490#post4302490
Are we talking about separate machines in these threads when you post about problems?

The empty lines under the following section is also a concern.
Quote:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
But the information do show up further down in System Devices section, which shows that the drivers have not been updated since 2009!
Have you attempted an upgrade of the GPU hardware recently? Or reset the Desktop back to Factory Settings, or something?

It does appear to have plenty of hard drive space, but playing Sims 3 on it all this while has apparently damaged it. Not sure if we can or even need to bother to troubleshoot the state of the HDD's health. Here's the tool for WDC (Western Digital) drives if you want to diagnose the HDD for troubleshooting those CRC issues, in case you want to do it. http://support.wd.com/product/downl...0&sid=3&lang=en

Bottom line? You definitely should stop playing Sims 3 on this Desktop! Sorry...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 7:54 PM Last edited by carolynobligacion : 15th Jan 2014 at 8:14 PM.
Thanks for replying, Ellacharmed. I appreciate your kind efforts, you are so helpful here at MTS. I really thank you.

No. GT 630 GPU is a different PC with only 2 cores, that is not the one with Vista Home Basic OS. I have 2 PCs, The HP, which is a Quad Core PC, with Vista Home Basic as OS and the other one is a dual core with Windows XP as OS.

Would it be conducive to TS3, if I reformat my HP PC and change my Windows Vista Home Basic to another Operating System? What OS would you suggest then, if it's possible to change my OS on a PC reformat? Windows XP?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Jan 2014 at 1:43 PM
No it won't help. Even if you install a full-fledged OS, you're still dealing with the same hardware. The same hardware that necessitates the use of a Basic OS in the first place. In this instance, the choice of OS is dictated by the hardware and its limitations.

2 cores with a higher clock speed (preferably 2.8-3GHz and above) + dedicated GPU + 4GB RAM is more superior than a quad core with clock speed <2.4GHz + unsupported GPU + 3.25 GB. When compared relative to each other, of course. It still won't beat a real "gaming computer", though.
It is the combination of all 3 components that make or break a system configuration, not any one component on its own.

All speculation still, since I don't really know the full specs of your other PC.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 2:55 PM Last edited by carolynobligacion : 19th Jan 2014 at 7:46 PM.
I am palnning to buy a new PC, sometime soon.

What graphics card do you recommend? what video card? Any brand specifications?
What do I need to look after in buying a new PC, which is conducive for TS3 and all its EPs and stuff packs, aside from graphics and video cards?
Is a Quad core PC good enough for gaming purposes? Or, would you recommend a Hexa Core PC?

I am sorry for my questions, I just have no idea about the technical part to take into consideration when buying a powerful gaming PC, which is good enough for TS3.

Thanks in advance.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 6:55 AM
FOR WINDOWS VISTA/WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS 8
  • 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent (2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, or AMD Phenom II, or higher is recommended for early patches; Core i5, or AMD FX, or higher is recommended for later patches (~1.27 onwards))
  • 1.5 GB RAM (at least 4GB of RAM is recommended)
  • 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 (256 MB dedicated video card - mid-range or higher - is recommended)
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1
  • At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games

For acceptable graphic cards see the Game Help:TS3 System Requirementswiki
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 4:21 PM
Thank You Very Much, Werismyki.