Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 7:48 AM
Default Careers - Best/Worst
I haven't been too diligent with careers, but I'm very disappointed in the Education career. So far, at level 10, no less, my poor Elder has no nice object reward or anything else I can see that would make this a good career choice whatsoever. Grr. Should have googled before I did it, I guess.
What are the careers you enjoy the most?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 11:25 AM
I like the cooking career because you get the special fridge when you reach LV10.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 11:34 AM
So far my favorite is the interior designer, it gives more income, and easy to impress the customer. next is the P.I. Another are the careers that came with SHT. As they all gave me more simoleons. in rabitholes, the military career as when at level 10 only one day of work and lots of free time, other is the cooking career that it gives no-spoiled-food-fridge

Hope, it is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective, alot of hope is dangerous.- President Snow
Instructor
#4 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 11:18 PM
I'm terrible as the only career I've completed is the music career and I only did it once but from what I've seen I like the P.I. career and ghost hunting although the latter becomes tedious if you play it too much.

I have had Sims get pretty far in the self-employed author, painter and sculptor career paths in fact the sim who got to level 10 of the music career got pretty far as a self-employed sculptor as well.

I love the criminal branch I have six Sims currently in it. I think most of my sims have been in journalism, music, culinary and business mostly but none of those are not particularly good or bad. Also a handful in the medical career which I'm not fond of I don't like my sims getting called into work at all hours when I'm trying to work on their relationships and skills.
The other rabbit hole careers I don't play much I've had one military sim threeish in Professional Sports two politicians and a scientist. So I'm not really a fan of those.
Instructor
#5 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 2:52 AM
I don't remember the last time I got to level 10 of a career :/ Getting promotions and working to max a career just isn't fun for me. Now, the Amb careers.... Those are a little too much effort for me, haha. I like having my sims disappear for a few hours while I tend to other things. Especially firefighting - NEVER AGAIN.

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 5:32 AM
^ Yeah after one plays Ambitions they'll realize why EA should just stick to Rabbithole careers. Some of the skill careers are nice, but the professions get boring and repetitve real fast and it becomes difficult to play with multiple-sim households.

But to answer the OP, I generally prefer "normal" careers like business, journalism, culinary, and doctor. The education career is cool, but the wages are insulting to teachers everywhere :P
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#7 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 6:00 AM
Hey, you can't blame EA for that. You people asked for it. You got what you asked for. I warned you.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 7:10 AM
It is funny how much people complained about careers being in rabbitholes but didn't much like it when EA made them interactive.

Though for careers I like education and culinary the best, probably.

"It sucks because the vampires don't run fast enough. Lets be realistic - any vampire could run at leas a 4.5 40. These guys ran somewhere between a 4.8.-4.9."
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 8:24 AM
Business has worked well for me, in that a Sim doesn't need a specific trait (like Athletic) to do pretty well at it. At the other end, Criminal is the one I'm most likely to switch a Sim out of, from a feeling that they're not getting anywhere & make too little money & are too often busted.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 9:21 AM
I kinda like the Singer career that came with Showtime.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#11 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 7:32 PM
I picked Firefighter for my legacy sim, and I LOVE it.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#12 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 10:12 AM
My favourite rabbithole careers are probably Master Thief and Rockstar. Master Thieves get rich really really fast because of the "sidejob" acquisitions of expensive decoration objects, and the final reward, "The Fox", gives you a +40 Moodlet (I am the Greatest) for 8 hours whenever you admire it. Also the hidden "Burglar" trait is highly recommended for playable ghosts as it allows them to enter empty houses (look through a window until the walls come down, "Sneak Here" and you're in).
Rockstar I like because as soon as you hit level 10 you only go to work, i.e. perform concerts, if you need the money.

My least favourite career has to be Medical, especially since Ambitions made it a 24/7 job. Enter the library and you can bet that some random Sim falls sick on the spot, visit the bistro and the same happens again.

From among the Ambitions professions I usually play Ghost Hunter the most. I never tire of the "Show off Banshee Banisher" interaction and it is a rather manageable profession when you've got family.
My least favourite profession is Private Investigator, I just find it too silly and very unconvincing.
Scholar
#13 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 1:57 PM
My least favorite is Interior Designer. I can't blame EA for that. I SUCK at interior design so badly that I think my poor sims are paying me to wreck their houses. I am weird and so far have loved everything else. Firefighter is a bit too fiddly for my tastes, but everything else is fine. If it's in a rabbit hole, who cares what they are doing all day, IMO. They are all about the same to me.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 2:16 PM
I always try to get a sim to the top of the culinary career early on in a legacy because it's a huge bonus to have no food spoilage, that nice moodlet and perfect food. I ended up liking the new singer career way more than I expected. I am not a huge fan of the active careers in general. They are fun to play through once but after that it's just tedious micro-management if you ask me.

I wish people would stop complaining about rabbitholes. I like it when I can send some sims into a rabbithole and focus on something else while they work/go to school/take a class/eat whatever.
Inventor
#15 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 3:31 PM
Most of my Sims are freelancers, like me. I always disliked fixed working hours in RL and I dislike them in Sims games as well, rabbit holes or not. So I don't have much experience with careers; the one I liked the best so far is the culinary career - kind of fun and nice bonuses.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 17th Apr 2012 at 6:04 PM
I hate the astronaut's hours and the low level of energy they have when they get off.
Space Pony
#17 Old 17th Apr 2012 at 8:49 PM
My favourite career is culinary. Mostly cause I have my sims all learn to cook anyway, so I'm not suck with autumn salad, and mac and cheese all the time. Medical comes in a close second for my favourite.

My least favourite is definitely science. I don't usually have the space for gardening. And unless I don't like the sim, I don't like sending them away to go fish all day. It's really boring.

As for the ambitions careers, they're okay, for one sim households. I'm doing a legacy right now where my sim is a firefighter, and she lives with her daughter. It's terrible. I hate the constant back and forth between the two.
I haven't done ghost hunting yet. And stylist, and architect (really, it's interior design, they're different, couldn't EA tell the difference?) are too much work for me, and Create a Style hates me after a while. So I don't play them.
The SHT careers I do actually like. Acrobat is my favourite from them, and then singer. I'm not too sure of magician yet, since I've accidentally killed a sim with one of their tricks, so I'm a little scared to try it myself.

My Sims 4 Random Legacy can be found here.
My simblr .
Forum Resident
#18 Old 17th Apr 2012 at 9:51 PM
The Firefighter career was exciting! But I used to accidentally miss the fire whilst I was playing my stylist sim or who ever. The stylist career is a PITA, you give them a nice wardrobe, fulfilling all the requirements then they yell at your sim. The Magician career is pretty fun atm, the acrobat is cool, the singer however.. The voice I have on the girl is rather nasally, and pretty much all the sing-o-grams she performs are shouted.

Go suck an elf...
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 17th Apr 2012 at 10:08 PM Last edited by Generis : 17th Apr 2012 at 10:36 PM.
I loved the level 10 Military work hours and pay before I got ambitions. Huge free time to explore the world and upgrade all existing electronics and plumbing.
I don't like the level 10 sports workdays. Only 1 day off because of the game schedules and it's not on a weekend! I spend time prepping my sims moods for their jobs... and the schedule does not give enough free days to actively pursue fame, which suits a pro athlete.

I sort of like that the education career focuses on skill with lower pay than a politician, scientist or doctor. Love the moodlet that they give to other sims after doing a lecture. It's a career that's perfect for the goodly and nurturing sims since it's all about service and education.

I enjoyed the firefighter profession a lot. Then I switched careers to military after installing the fire alarm and fire truck at home when he reached level 10 since he was already supporting a family and constant managing of disasters was so difficult.
With the nth level generation legacy sims I have in custom empty blank worlds, I would pick one to become a stylist or an architect so that I can earn money doing makeovers on all the generations of pudding or improve on the generic starter houses I plopped down.

With pets, I almost always choose to become a horseman on custom worlds... I send my bareback riding Lady Godiva to discover the nooks and crannies of her world with her collection helper when she's not busy doing races or training her stud and horses.

With showtime, my favorite performer is the magician, followed by the singer. A successive chain of various successful magic tricks is awesome to watch and direct on stage, especially when you set the fx machines to fog. The singers' songs are really catchy.
Test Subject
#20 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 4:47 AM
Most of the rabbithole jobs are the same to me, though I end up making tons of scientists and doctors for some reason, and very few cooks and various military personal (and astronauts; but seriously, NASA =/= the military. That's pretty much why none of my sims are in the military).

As for Ambitions careers, I like making my sims self-employed because they don't even need fugly uniforms. If not, I get a fine deal of stylists.
Theorist
#21 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 10:16 AM
I usually prefer the self-employed Careers. Since I don't play with aging, I don't really care whether or not there's any object/skill rewards for "reaching the top of Career"
Test Subject
#22 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 12:31 PM
The worst is Emperor of Evil. I once had a Sim become emperor of evil.
Evil, fearful, filthy rich, genius criminal mastermind - but he cant woohoo with his girlfriend and have to sleep in the couch.(Relationship drop due to the red glow.)
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th Apr 2012 at 3:32 PM
The worst is the Science career. Having to learn gardening AND Fishing just to get ahead is really stupid.

I love the ST careers.

Life stage: Teen

Traits: Artistic, Charismatic, Genius, Workaholic

LTW: Perfect Mind, Perfect Body
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Apr 2012 at 4:39 PM
I like the acting career that came with LN. I think it's cute they get acting awards and then the actor trailer when they reach level 10. Plus when they are high up in the career they only work 3 days for 3 hours, so it leaves a lot time to do other stuff. I also rather enjoy the singer career that came with Showtime. I just started the magician and that seems pretty cool too. I also like the self employed careers, like writers, painters, sculptors. I enjoy having control over the hours my sims work, this way they have plenty of time to gain skills, make friends etc.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Apr 2012 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sunnyside83
I like the acting career that came with LN. I think it's cute they get acting awards and then the actor trailer when they reach level 10.

Great! I didn't know that. Keep 'em comin', people.
Page 1 of 2