Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 4:32 AM
Default Neighborhood Terrain Issue! Help!
I just reinstalled all my Sims games and expansion packs onto my brand new Dell Studio. It's been running great, except for one small issue.

When I make a sub neighborhood, only the lush terrain is showing up, no matter what terrain type I choose. On top of that, the water looks weird (see the picture below). Has anyone had this problem before?

Any suggestions?
Screenshots
Advertisement
#2 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 4:46 AM
I`m guessing you don`t have a graphics card. Dells tend to have on-board graphics, instead, and OBG isn`t as powerful, so is usually not supported for The Sims 2. It would help if you would post your Dell Studio`s specs, especially the video. This page might help, too.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 5:44 AM Last edited by shrewaskew : 10th Jan 2009 at 5:58 AM.
Dell Studio
Intel Core Duo T5800 2.00 GHz

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Version 7.15.0010.1608

I'm so down about this. I got a new computer for the sole purpose of playing The Sims 2, and my fiance says that my graphics card is great for an integrated one, but this is really bumming me out. I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions.
What just happend?
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 6:51 AM
The "sims2" was never meant to be played on a "Laptop" (not strong enough to cope) "Sims Stories," on the other hand, is!!

Life is for LIVING so, LIVE it and have Fun

Please use "spell check" when posting!!!
Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 7:18 AM
I don't know. I'm just a little surprised. It ran fine on the Dell Inspiron 1525 Core Duo laptop that I bought two years ago. It was a little slow, but I didn't have any problems with graphics. That's why I'm so shocked that it's running so quickly on my new Dell Studio, but I'm having graphics issues.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 11:07 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:

I know a lot of this is repetition, but the links are useful.
  • General - Integrated Graphics
    The reason for your issue is that your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play TS2.
    In particular, you don't actually have a graphics card - you have integrated graphics, which is just a chip on your motherboard. Most laptops come with integrated graphics, as do some desktops; and while salesmen often claim that integrated graphics chips are just as good as real graphics cards, they're not.

Integrated graphics chips are designed for people who just use their computers to read email, type up documents, and play minesweeper - they are not suitable for high stress games like TS2. At the very least, playing TS2 with integrated graphics will mean the game looks terrible; at the worst, you could permanently damage your computer.
    If you have integrated graphics, the other requirements - particularly minimum processor speed - go up to compensate. You can see the increases here, under "If you have a non-T&L capable video card...".

This FAQ contains tips on things you can do to improve your gameplay, and prolong the life of the integrated chip: Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki
    This is MTS2's recommended minimum system specs for each EP/SP: Game Help:System Requirements/MTS2 Recommendationswiki

Be aware that, even if you follow all the tips in the above article, you will probably have to upgrade or replace your computer to alleviate all problems.

• There are many possible reasons why your desktop is having these issues where the laptop didn't - overheating, wear and tear; or the IG might be weaker on that than this.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
#7 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:20 PM
I`m not familiar with many computers by brand-and-model name; is your Dell Studio capable of accepting "a real graphics card"? If so, I suggest you go get yourself a good one. My Dell uses motherboard graphics, but I have a graphics card installed, too, and I run my system on that. It wasn`t easy finding a half-height graphics card that would work in my system. Dell, who should know better, sent me one that had the wrong kind of edge-connector!

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 9:36 PM Last edited by callistra : 10th Jan 2009 at 9:43 PM.
No laptop with integrated graphics is capable of accepting a dedicated graphics card. A few models can have their motherboard replaced plus adding a dedicated card, but the cost of that is extremely steep and you might as well buy a new computer.

Dell's studio laptop series have the X3100 integrated, and it's actually not one of the strongest current IGPs. It's not even Intel's most current. Intel's strongest is the X4500. ATI's HD3200 is stronger and Nvidia has 4 newer IGPs which are a lot stronger.