Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 10:37 PM
Default Facial animations
Well, since I already made poses and animations, I was thinking "my poses would be better if the faces were the way that I want". So, there's a way to made custom faces animations? There's some in the game, so there's possible, isn't there?

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 11:14 PM
Not possible at the moment. Changes made to vertices to allow for different facial bones are basically ignored by the game.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 11:24 PM
There isn't a way to create *new* facial animations, but it is possible to re-use existing facial animations, or under some circumstances to copy facial animations from one anim file into another. Would that work?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Feb 2009 at 2:55 AM
I don't think so... In my new poses hack there are "model poses", so I plained to make model faces... Then, I have to satisfied me with animations from the game. humpf

Thanks!

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Dec 2009 at 10:29 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question. Why does the game ignore it? What if I pulled the animations and replaced old ones? Would it still ignore them?

I don't mean to necro, this seemed better than starting a new thread for the same purpose.
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 9:03 AM
and what if you rename the joints from a sims3 animation model ,
to the ones that sims 2 have?

im just wondering because i have been thinking about it ,
it wont be 100 % the same ,
but i think it could work if u exported ur sims 3 animation *facial only* with the sims 2 anim exporter
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 10:42 PM
It has been quite a while since I did any research on this, but TS2 used morphs for facial animations. The limit was 4 morphs per-vertex, not 4 morphs per-face, and coding this in a manner that was usable in MilkShape proved to be too great a challenge. So a face may have 17 different morphs, but only 4 or less affect any particular vertex. A facial animation might then have keys set on most or all of these morphs, turning mouth corners, cheekbones, lips and eyebrows in different amounts and at different timings to animate the face.

The application of the morphs is triggered by keys in ANIM files, but isn't directly supported by the animation tool I made (nor by the SMD format, so also not by Miche's converter). I think they could be directly edited in SimPE, or the intermediate text format the animation plug-in uses, but that would be just one step up from using a hex editor.

Marvine helped with the research, and we succeeded in modifying some expression animations. But it never was turned into a tool that was released.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 8:38 AM
Well, isn't this a sad situation. I really wish I could animate the face like the Sims 3 is able to do. Woe is me though.

Tears rain, everytime your mouth opens with pain.