Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 11:53 AM Last edited by Delphy : 13th Apr 2006 at 2:46 PM.
Default Important news for uploaders
Hi All,

After rebuilding the primary fileserver concurrent with the scheduled maintenance, I have decided that from this point on no more sims2pack files will be allowed on MTS2.

Why? The answer lies in the statistics. Sims2Pack files account for only 4.3% of the total amount we have on MTS2, yet use up a whopping 28% of the storage. That's a huge amount and as bandwidth and especially storage is not free I have decided to make this decision. Note that Sims2Packs uploaded before today will not be removed.

Regards,
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 3:20 PM
What exactly is a sims2 file pack ?
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#3 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 3:23 PM
I always wondered why do not all uploaders pack their sims2packs into rars or zips

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 3:49 PM
jmtmom,

Yes, any repacking would be very helpful.

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 4:07 PM Last edited by SimTaarna : 13th Apr 2006 at 5:16 PM.
Hi Delphy

I hope you don't mind me asking some questions on this change. Will sims2packs be accepted in zip/rar form, or is this a total ban? How will this affect uploads such as houses, especially ones with custom walls, etc?

edit: Thanks for clarifying, that's more than reasonable
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 4:10 PM
You may compress Sims2Packs with WinRAR or WinZIP or another archive utility and then upload them.

Only pure (ie uncompressed) Sims2Pack files are no longer accepted - compressed ones are fine.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 5:28 PM
probably the reason is not the size of the format, but rather that s2p is used mainly for houses, which tend to be large in any case.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 6:14 PM
Actually it's becuase Sims2Packs are not compressed. You can get some staggering results applying maximum compression to a sims2pack.

Forum Resident
#9 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 6:52 PM
compression is not always able to cut off much.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 8:14 PM
Well, that's obvious - however for non-texture formats ie straight lots etc it is very good. Sometimes it's not but regardless this is a moot point. Everybody needs to now zip or rar their files. End of discussion.

Instructor
#11 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 9:31 PM
Will there be a section in the FAQs on how to package to .rar or .zip? It would help many...

Yeah... alright, you can PM me to request a house I suppose... Might take a while though as forewarning...
Instructor
#12 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 10:07 PM
sure, I'll not upload any.. I havn't but oh well, I'll not!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 11:13 PM Last edited by SimTaarna : 13th Apr 2006 at 11:20 PM.
Just thought I'd add a link to another program that works good for compressing files and opening them: Total Commander

It says on the site that it does .zip and .rar, I know it opens both. I think it requires an external program for making .rars, but it makes .zips by itself. Been using it for that for years and it's helped immensely.
Test Subject
#14 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 12:13 AM
Thank god i compressed all my new stuff into rar.s otherswise i wouldn't be very happy right now.

:wave: :baloons:

It is time for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything.

Albus Dumbledore
Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 37, Page 834
Field Researcher
#15 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 3:45 AM
I will re-pack my sims into RARs.
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 5:43 AM
If you use WinRAR (and why wouldn't you) Highlight the files you want in the archive (it can be zip or rar - however rar is way superior as a compression format)right-click Add to Archive and from the compression drop down list choose Best. I'm guessing a lot of people would be surprised at the additional squishage you get.

On an auto basis - rar's compress by at LEAST 25% or so more than zip - and in some cases I've had it compress an additional 50% (it depends on the file type you are compressing). And yes I have *studied* file compression - there are actually a few websites out there devoted to comparing compression techniques

And wow Delphy - I never realised they were that prevalent on the site! I know from authing lot uploads that the majority of people compress to zip or rar. Which leads me to believe that its probably Sim people files Reducing that 28% could have a huge impact on the site =)

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Forum Resident
#17 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 5:52 AM
I know WinRAR is great (winzip sort of lame), but because it is shareware, maybe MTS2 should "promote" freeware / open source instead ... :D

Like 7-Zip:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 6:11 AM
If I can make a suggestion, stop using zip, use rar or 7z. The compression ratio is a lot better.
http://www.7-zip.org/

On the other note, why is not better rating system implemented? Why to rate and thanks to the author right after downloading the files? Nobody know yet at that time, how this will work in the game; it's buggy!?; it's done without, let say, bad description file or the item is sticking through the wall or even crash the game? Some of the houses are so badly designed but they have 5 stars rating! Why? Because we want to please and thanks for the download (the system!!) and not seeing the stuff in the game yet. You guys and girls (I meant webmaster, owner and other helpers) already working on to improve the system, do more, change the rating system and judge every file uploaded before is offered to the public. More then two thirds of the houses are useless crap, I will say around 50% of the clothing is horrible and all the Simpson's, Aliens, different crazy hats recolor etc.; nobody really, and I mean "really" needs (Maxis put so many in by default, why to add more stuff to induce vomiting, just to look at it). The "neon yellow (or you add the most ridiculous one here) sofa"? Who needs such an ugly piece in the house. Strawberry recolor with cute little hearts? If I ever sea this in any bathroom (bedroom or else) I will puke all over the place. Let the other sites have them, this is the number one site and most talented people are here. Just stay #1 also in quality of the downloads.
Sorry for the rant, I just felt I have to say what bother me for very long time. I love the people here and all the hard work what they do to keep this up. If I offended anybody, I'm sorry. Criticism never hurt anybody, just pushed people to achieve higher standards.
Super Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#19 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 7:11 AM
If you dont like it- Dont download it. Just becuase YOU dont think it deserves 5 stars does not mean someone else with different taste doesnt think it deserves that rating.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 7:49 AM
Wise words LyricLee!
Wow! How much anger and rudeness. I usualy rate and thanks even works I have no intention to download. People here offer their work to others, share without expecting nothing back, the least one can do is to say: Thank you, you give us hours of your time working for trying to please us! Once the site is public all rights are the same.

Visit (site in portuguese):
http://www.thesims2elitte.kinghost.net/
Field Researcher
#21 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 8:25 AM
By the way, some Plasil may help!

Visit (site in portuguese):
http://www.thesims2elitte.kinghost.net/
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 11:04 AM
First of all I must say I like the changes that have been made well done.

I tend to agree with others about 7zip it is far superior than WinZIP & WinRAR & for free. What a bargain.

Not to mention I have been using it since the first version & have often felt I was the only one to use it. lol

Pete
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 11:37 AM
Sorry for the double post,

Message for zuchla:
1)Rudeness & putdowns won't work.
2)LyricLee is correct. You no like, you no look.
3)Be grateful or be createful.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 12:03 PM
Will the Q-Express Installer un-rar the rar file and then unpackage the sims2pack file?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#25 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 1:44 PM
higgins, yes it will.

Loverat, I'll probably write a script to automatically recompress all current Sims2Pack files down into rar files at maximum compression which should save quite a few gigs

Page 1 of 2