Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2011 at 3:57 PM
Default Bumpmap issues
I'm trying to retexture a piece of clothing using CTU. This is my first time attempting to do this for TS3 so please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this (and please excuse my noobishness).

The clothing I'm trying to edit is afBodyShirtLong - the sleepwear tunic thing. I want to remove the open part with the buttons and make it into a regular tshirt (since the part I'm changing is skin tight I assume I can do this without editing the mesh). I followed a tutorial to edit the base texture and alpha, and that all seems to have worked correctly.

However, the original bumpmap is showing through. I read that I need to export and import the mesh in order to change it - I've done this (possibly incorrectly, see screenshot), but still the bumpmap still shows through.

I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me how to do this, and sorry if this is a really stupid question.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 18th May 2011 at 5:29 PM
What you want to do is export the current bump map, then make it completely gray. Then you save it as a .dds and import it back into CTU. That should take care of the bump map issue.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2011 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by birdyfly
What you want to do is export the current bump map, then make it completely gray. Then you save it as a .dds and import it back into CTU. That should take care of the bump map issue.

That's what I've been doing (except that I edited the exported bumpmap to reflect my changes rather than just floodfilling it), so I think I'm doing something wrong when it comes to actually importing it. Unless it could be something other than the bumpmap causing the issue?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 18th May 2011 at 7:16 PM
Could you link the file so I can take a look at it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th May 2011 at 7:39 PM
Sure, here you go. You meant the whole thing as a package, not the bumpmap itself right? And thank you
Attached files:
File Type: zip  phlegm-aftunic.zip (1.24 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Forum Resident
#6 Old 18th May 2011 at 8:43 PM
Try exiting out and reloading your texture again, because it looks perfectly fine in my CTU.

The issue I'm having with it though is that I can't seem to recolor it. It only stays gray. I'm not sure if that was what you wanted or not with the gown though.

EDIT:

In case you did want a recolor of your tunic, but don't know how, it's because you placed an image in the overlay section. The overlay is pretty much like the stencil function.

Here is your file if you take out the overlay part.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2011 at 8:58 PM
I exited and reloaded and it looks fine now (I was sure I tried that earlier). I knew it was going to be something obvious like that...

I replaced a bunch of stuff in the textures tab when I was trying to get the bumpmap to go away, which is when it turned grey, so I think that's probably the issue there. I'll have a poke around and see if I can fix it - If I can't then I have an earlier version saved so that's all good.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edit: Yeah I was thinking it was the overlay section. Thanks again!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th May 2011 at 9:06 PM
No problem.

I know how frustrating making clothes is. I absolutely hate making the morphs, and the clothes always turn out deformed for me, which is why I moved on to object modding.

I already know a few people who would love to have your creation in this thread. I'll be more than happy to help if you have any more questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th May 2011 at 9:33 PM Last edited by phlegm : 18th May 2011 at 9:44 PM.
I've always felt like objects were more difficult for some reason. But the last time I did any kind of creation was with TS2 bodyshop, and CAS parts were much easier with that.

It was only intended to be a quick little project to get me into the swing of things, but I'll make a proper upload out of this if you think people would like it (It's something I've wanted for a while, so I suppose others might too).

And thanks for the offer, I'm sure I'll message you whining about how things don't work at some point

ETA: Feel free to redistribute in the meantime though.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th May 2011 at 9:35 PM
In order to get rid of the overlay, right-click the overlay line in the Textures tab, and replace the reskey with this one: key:00B2D882:00000000:75F8F21E0F143CAC (this is the key for a random blank texture used in the basegame )

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.