Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
I will yell at you first, and maybe save you from being lashed at the mainmast by someone with less tolerance than I have.

There are some people that do things, but they still require rest. A few of them even have real lives, with wives and girlfriends. One of them had a birthday yesterday.

Since there are no paid staff personnel on duty (and people like me are not even staff here), you have to be a little patient and wait for the volunteers to show up. I am sure you are excited, and want to move on your project right now, but the message you posted is offensive to people that give of their time and feel treated like store clerks.

<* Wes *>

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was offensive. I understand, and I am grateful for all that you guys did to make this possible. Please forgive my comment.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#52 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:24 PM
You will have to wait for Delphy to figure out the issue with your DABOOBS problem, I don't think any of the rest of us can help on that one. He is probably still working on it, because he asked you for the details.

This stuff isn't easy to do, and it looks like that may take some additional programming. But we will see what Delphy comes up with.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:32 PM
savio_araujo110 - I thoguht CTU exported them with the names intact, but perhaps I was mistaken. I'll ask Delphy to look into it, as having the names of what's what is definitely helpful. You don't -have- to use the files from amHairBalding though - you can use textures from any hair in the game - as long as it's for (roughly) the right age (teen-elder can share, children and toddlers, respectively, have their own - both genders can share). Usually you can tell looking at the textures what they're for.

DJ_Mur3 - For it to be black like that, I'm guessing something's wrong with the ExtraData. Can you take a look and check that the settings are set to 255 all across? You can also look at the Vertex ID field - flip through and make sure it's all set to 0. The alpha channel on your diffuse texture needs to look basically like a TS2 alpha bmp - white where you want it to show up, black where you don't.

Aikea - Yeah, that looks like a similar issue to what I was having. There's something else going on with layering (sort of like with the hairalpha5, 7, 9, etc. stuff) we had with TS2, only we don't quite understand how it works entirely yet, so sometimes there'll be weird overlaps like that. Wish I knew why. That hair is so cute... :lovestruc

tomclinton - You only need to regroup your GEOM-00 stuff if you have multiple groups. If you don't, don't worry about it. Also, regarding your DABOOBS error, that issue is related to .NET 3.5 - either you don't have 3.5 or it's not seeing that you have it. Redownload .NET 3.5 and reinstall it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:46 PM
Thank you HP! I've done it, and went to the game to see how it was.. I could recolor it, that's quite good, but the texture is so ugly! (even I used great textures) I'll try doing another conversion, with a simpler mesh.. (I've already started it, but when tried to regroup the mesh, there was an error saying "there are too many vertices", or something like that..)
Instructor
#55 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 8:06 PM
Hmm.. Well, I'd had the settings all at 255. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I repacked and reinstalled the thing again and it works! Interesting. But still, it's super shiny, but only in CAS. Does this have something to do with the halo texture? I didn't choose one in DABOOBs, so I assume it doesn't just assign it one. The hair has transparency issues and shiny-ness issues that only happen in CAS.

I also have a hole in the back.. =P not sure why, but I'm going to try a simple edit to the basic mesh file and see if that works.
Test Subject
#56 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 8:23 PM
Thanks for this tutorial. It works great; I'm just a complete dumby. Ummm, I know that this is a stupid question, but when you save the texture files as a .DDS and a dialogue box pops up, I selected the "DXT3" option, in order for the background to be transparent. I'm working in photoshop, and the background is transparent (with the white and grey squares). I save the file in that format but in the game it doesn't look right. The texture shows up correctly in the game but in the exact shape of the hair mesh. You see the ends of the hair but then the rest of it is grey. (Ignore the fact that the mesh isn't right, I'll correct it later.)

Sorry that this is so long but I wanted to be specific. If anyone could help me I'd really love them. :D

Vinny Lecavalier, simply the best!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 8:47 PM
DJ_Mur3 - You should choose a halo texture - if you use the one I recommended in the tut it shouldn't be super shiny - it might be kinda shiny, but tbh, I've never noticed any shine on hairs actually in-game, so it doesn't matter too much.

mrs_lecavalier - That probably has to do with your texture. It's not just a matter of having a transparent background, but you actually need to create a new channel in the channels window (it'll automatically call itself alpha) and paste your texture into it. If you look at one of the original game textures you'll see how that's done - white where you want the hair to show up, black where you want it to cut out. Similar to TS2's alpha bmps, only it's all encoded into one image.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#58 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 9:11 PM
Thanks for the help! Sorry to be a pain.

Vinny Lecavalier, simply the best!
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 9:35 PM
Thank you guys, you have been ever so helpful
I've just (one last thing) put together a youtube video of my computer screen, modifying the mesh, and following HPs tutorial, if one of you could give it a quick look to see if I'm doing everything correctly, or if I'm going wrong somewhere just in case, I know the mesh in the video is a little messy, I just aimed to make a tester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC473LMHaxs

(Gosh, I'm such a perfectionist - And yes, I have too much spare time on my hands lol)

Oh, and btw HP, I'm installing dotNetFx 4.0 beta, this will work with DABOOBS won't it?
Test Subject
#60 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 9:57 PM
I keep getting an error when I try to generate the hair with DABOOBS (like austin on the previous page).

Details attached.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  foutmelding DABOOBS.rar (1.8 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Error when generating hair with DABOOBS
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:29 AM Last edited by savio_araujo110 : 28th Jul 2009 at 1:15 AM.
Yay, got it. hehe But there are some issues: ultra-shiny hair, and the alpha channel didn't work. (sorry forbeing a dumb, but where do I have to create a new channel? PS? I've done that, and've exported as DDX3. am i doing it wrong?) Ah, I've used the halo texture Hp recommended on the tutorial. Will test ingame, but I think it will work and show quite fine..

(sorry for my english :x)

eta:

pic: (yes, it looks like a helmet LOL)
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 3:35 AM
Well done savio!

Look at mine, I edited an in game mesh and the textures a bit dodgy as you can see...
[img] http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7366/myfirstmesh.png [/img]

Thank you guys for all the help
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 4:27 AM
Hi HP thanks for the great tutorial on hair but I have one question. The part where you say we can use the the key if we will not be using custom textures. Do we put that key in every field or just certain ones?
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 4:27 AM Last edited by aikea guinea : 28th Jul 2009 at 4:47 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Aikea - Yeah, that looks like a similar issue to what I was having. There's something else going on with layering (sort of like with the hairalpha5, 7, 9, etc. stuff) we had with TS2, only we don't quite understand how it works entirely yet, so sometimes there'll be weird overlaps like that. Wish I knew why. That hair is so cute... :lovestruc

Well, I went through and reworked the mesh twice today before finally starting over from scratch on a third attempt. Oddly enough, starting over fixed whatever the problem was, though I couldn't tell you what I did differently. There's still one remaining weird spot, but this one isn't nearly as bad as the one in the front. (It was also present on the other really-messed-up mesh.)

To me, both problems seemed to be caused by something going wrong with the uv map, as it didn't look like an alpha issue when I spent more time staring grumpily at it today. It looked like a portion of the mesh had some skewed mapping info, as if the map had been radically altered in that one area.

At any rate, I thought I'd mention the mystery fix. XD

you stare at my shoulders
are you surprised to see one more devil 
where angel wings should be..?
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 4:36 AM
What key should i use if i want no scalp?
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
OK, now I have seen that just yesterday. Of course, not on my machine, or it would be fixed. The two Buttons do say "Save all' and "Cancel", in that order.

I suspect it has something to do with either the DPI settings or the fontsize, or a Vista/XP difference or some other system setting that is scaling teh buttons differently than the window on your system. This is supposed to be standard windows dialog box stuff, but the standard apparently is not so standard.

I will be remaking that, maybe in a few days, with more real estate so the buttons will be properly accessable. Please limp along until I get it fixed.

<* Wes *>

HI Wes, I'm on XP and I have the same problem with the window not showing up fully, thankyou for all your hard work.

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Thanks
Ange
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 4:25 PM
Thanks tomclinton! Ah, your mesh looks great! One quetion: are you doing a conversion? If so, you could open any mesh's texture (better use black or white) and extract to use as the Main textures. (diffuse, specular and control [read] -> for the control, I extracted one from a peggy hair on S3PE (it looks like a hair texture, but there are blue, red and green pieces), and copied it and pasted on the texture I extracted before. (on each hair part) Now I just have to figure outhow to make the alpha channel works T.T...
Test Subject
#68 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 5:03 PM
Thanks so much for the tutorial. This is the first time I've tried to make an item for Sims 3. Here's what I've made so far. I just need to work out the alpha channel to make it look more realistic and less blocky.

Missingstudios.com Movies,Info,Downloads,Games And More!
http://www.missingstudios.com/image...s/ms_468x60.jpg
http://www.missingstudios.com
Alchemist
#69 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by angieb
HI Wes, I'm on XP and I have the same problem with the window not showing up fully, thankyou for all your hard work.

Thanks Angie.

I have been distracted making some sims 3 object meshing tools. Now that that is out for test, give me a little time and I will polish the body meshing tools, and get that fixed.

I no longer have any working XP machines here, so I can't tell if it is an XP/Vista issue or something else. But adding a little room around teh edges and at the bottom should fix it.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 5:34 PM Last edited by tomclinton : 28th Jul 2009 at 6:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by savio_araujo110
Thanks tomclinton! Ah, your mesh looks great! One quetion: are you doing a conversion?

I Just tried your suggestion and extracted a texture to use for my mesh, I used the diffuse, specular and control of the longfeathered hair and used the halo and bump map keys given by HP in her tut, the bottom image is the result, bearing in mind the colour is ash blonde, and the shine just really darkens the colour...the top image is of my pixie mesh alteration and I just shoved the keys in her tutorial into DABoobs and edited the instance to the same texture as the pixie mesh uses, and the top image is the result...But why is it so bumpy? I think I messed up the mesh...

(The red arrows direct where I had altered the original meshes)
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 6:32 PM
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by savio_araujo110
Ah, ok.. xD~ Sorry..

-

Aha, the hair is finished... Mesh, textures and its highlights, root and
tips worked fine... Pics:

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/...obhair/CAS1.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/...air/InGame1.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/...air/InGame2.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/...air/InGame3.jpg

That's really good, kudos! Are you going to put it up for download?
So what did you do in the end to make the hair less helmet-like?
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomclinton
That's really good, kudos! Are you going to put it up for download?
So what did you do in the end to make the hair less helmet-like?

Thank you very much!
I just did the alpha channel on PS to make less helmet like... I didn't work before, cause i'm a dumb, but now it works fine (not fully, as it's my first attempt ever).. ^^

Ah, and I don't know where/how to post it.. :x If you want it, I can upload..
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 6:58 PM
Nah, its cool, I havnt been properly playing sims 3 itself for about two weeks trying to create a successful hair mesh...
So did you edit the alpha channel on the control texture? and did you use the halo texture that HP recommended in her tut?
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 7:04 PM
No, I didn't create the alpha channel on control texture.. Only on Main Specular and Main Diffuse.

I used as my 'own' textures, importing the dds files, the Main Specular, Main Diffuse and Main Control. The remainder I used the ones HP recommendend in her tutorial. (so I used the halo texture she recommended =])
Page 3 of 25