Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 7:43 PM
Well Done Savio for creating such a decent custom hair mesh.

Any chance you could probably give a few more details on how you added an alpha channel to the texture. I'm stumped. Perhaps you can upload your main specular, main diffuse, and main control dds files so I can take a peak

Missingstudios.com Movies,Info,Downloads,Games And More!
http://www.missingstudios.com/image...s/ms_468x60.jpg
http://www.missingstudios.com
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by savio_araujo110
No, I didn't create the alpha channel on control texture.. Only on Main Specular and Main Diffuse.

So How do I create the alpha channel on the main specular and diffuse? Do I just create a new layer and scribble the parts of the texture that I want in black and scribble the parts that i don't want in white?
Sorry if I'm being a pain
Test Subject
#78 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 7:47 PM
Hey Savio, is that a converted version of the bob by peggy for Sims 2?
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 8:04 PM
Ok. Here's a tutorial: (without pics cause my CS3 is port-br.. )

You'll need:

*Hair texture (if youre doing a conversion, you can extract it from a recolor package. [prefer black])

*Alpha texture (will explain how to get one)

___

.Open the PS CS3.

.Open the texture you extracted before from the recolor package.

.Now it's with you: change the color till it gets a dark grey, almost black texture. (lighter than you extracted) Save as MainSpecular.jpg/png/bmp/whatever.

.Close the window (not the CS3!), without saving.

.Open the file again (you extracted), and now make it lighter, about a light grey, almost white. Save as MainDiffuse.jpg/png/bmp/whatever. Close the windoes (NOT the CS3!) without saving.

.Now's the hardwork... Open the extracted texture again, and now try to make the hair fully white, and the background fully black. (try doing that using ps' Curves tool) That's your alpha texture. Save it as Alpha.jpg/png/bmp/whatever

.Now open the MainDiffuse. Go to Channels tab, and click on 'create new channel'. There's a new channel called Alpha 1. Now open the Alpha file you saved before, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and past on the Alpha channel from the MainDiffuse. File, Save As..., and change .dds. Export it as DDX5 file.

.Repeat it with the MainSpecular file.

Quote: Originally posted by austinf4564
Hey Savio, is that a converted version of the bob by peggy for Sims 2?

Yes, it's.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 8:12 PM
You are GOD
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 8:15 PM
hahaha :p

I'm sorry for being slow on writing that tut.. My english isn't that good. :x
Test Subject
#82 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 8:18 PM
Thanks for the tutorial I'll give it a try in a bit and post my results.

Lab Assistant
#83 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Thanks Angie.

I have been distracted making some sims 3 object meshing tools. Now that that is out for test, give me a little time and I will polish the body meshing tools, and get that fixed.

I no longer have any working XP machines here, so I can't tell if it is an XP/Vista issue or something else. But adding a little room around teh edges and at the bottom should fix it.

<* Wes *>

No rush as long as you click on the line that's just showing on the left it save's okay. Thank's again this is great I love all this new stuff.

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Thanks
Ange
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 9:30 PM
Results!

I think it's rather good for a first mesh...
Does anyone know how to fis the red circled areas? I'm baffled
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 12:16 AM
Wow! For a fisrt mesh that's pretty good!
Instructor
#86 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:50 AM
So, yes, shiny-ness only appears in CAS, but it looks incredibly glitchy on my computer. I used the example one, the AMbalding halo texture, however, the shinyness seems to appear differently on different triangles of the mesh. The mesh does not have any problems in Milkshape, and the triangles only appear weird in CAS. It's rather minor but it annoys me how ugly it looks. Here's a pic. Sorry it's not too great but its all I had without going back into the game.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i...pg?t=1248842942

Personally, I think all the shinyness in CAS on all the hairs is really unappealing but whatever. It's how the game works. It doesn't appear in-game so we're cool. It's just really annoying.
Test Subject
#87 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:00 AM
Default My model is not working :(
Used 3ds max for the hair model and milkshape is not my thing. Made Hatsune Miku hair and am rly annoyed that it doesn't work. Anyway someone could have a look at it and fix it?

Its not working caus its not appearing in game. like, not invisable or insideout but not even an option in CAS

GRRRRRR!!

and yes the .package file is in my mods folder
Test Subject
#88 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 11:15 AM
Default oh crumbs
i used to mesh some of my sims 2 hair but kind of forgot most of what i knew
i started your tutorial to convert some of them to sims3 and im afraid im stuck lol

i cant seem to find any box or drop menu for Vertex>Align normals
sorry to be a total noob again but did i forget to install something perhaps or am i just clicking all the wrong buttons LOL

id really appreciate your help guys

cheers for any help
Instructor
#89 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 11:44 AM
It's actually one of the required downloads if you didn't see it. =) That could explain why it's not there.
Test Subject
#90 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 1:10 PM
oh duh *palms forhead*
thought i had installed all of it guess ill have to try again lol
ty so much
here goes, hopefuly this time ill get it right lol
Test Subject
#91 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 1:40 PM
Default Oopsy Again
ok im definately rusty at this lol

when u mention save the LOD1, 2 and 3 files as an OBJ file how do i do that.... if i export it i can click on .simgeom or all files
and if i click on save as in normal menu the option is only as a milkshape file

ive gone tough all my install process agan so im sure i have everything ut maybe somit didnt copy over

or do i just export and click "all files" then name it (example).OBJ myself???

sorry bout this guys
Test Subject
#92 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:10 PM
Okay, it may sound very silly, but anyway... In SimPE I click on the adult GMDC, and it says that I need some managed directx or something. Has anybody got this too?
Test Subject
#93 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:19 PM
Quick Question - Are you supposed to make a texture map/UV map for hair like with sims 2 objects to know exactly where you're texturing? If so, could someone perhaps give me a little guidance? I need to start over with my texturing.

Test Subject
#94 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:25 PM
Thanks HP for that wonderful hair tutorial!!I finally converted a Sims 2 hair to Sims 3. Although it still has some problem.

And I also have the recolor problem with this hair, how can I make the MainControl.dds to let the hair can be recolored correctly??

(I'm sorry for my English, because I am a Hong Kong people :p)
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:31 PM
Lady Darithe - You have to EXPORT the LODs once you've used the DirectX meshing tools . Do this by clicking File>Export>Wavefront OBJ And Save as LOD0.obj and so on etc.

Belliole - You may need to update your Direct X or Microsoft Framework or something?

MissingStudios- To my knowledge I do not think you have to make a texture UV map, wherever the mesh goes the texture image follows, I think the texture image follows each face, so for example if you have three faces in your mesh then you will have three textures (all textures are read from the same files, so no need to make more),

Allthough, I may not be right as I am myself a new mesher
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:35 PM
ManWong, Have you opened up the Main Control dds file (That I presumed you extracted) in photoshop and edited it that way?
Test Subject
#97 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:40 PM
I didn't edit the MainControl dds file because I don't know how to edit it in PhotoShop.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:51 PM
Well, theres two options:
1. Open the Main Specular.dds image with photoshop and edit the texture so the roots are red, highlights are green and tips are blue, Save it as MainControl.dds.
If you don't know how to add colour to the texture using photoshop just use a big light opacity brush and brush the areas in the appropriate colour and add a high motion blur to create the effect of hair...or you could just select the area and recolour it using the RGB window...And upload this Main Control dds image with DABOOBS along with your other texture files...
Or Option 2. Extract texture files from a original sims 3 hair using CTU, then take the Main Control dds texture file and just upload that with DABOOBS, that's what I did?

Sorry if im not mucch help,
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 2:55 PM
Don't know if i can ask it here...

Well... i want a part of my hair(i uploaded it already) to adjust with the hair, to work with fatty people. What bones i should assign it?
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nandonalt
Don't know if i can ask it here...

Well... i want a part of my hair(i uploaded it already) to adjust with the hair, to work with fatty people. What bones i should assign it?

I need to know the answer to that too, I have assigned the head to the mesh i'm working on, but the hair itself clips like crazy it moves with the head, the only way i can describe it is if shes just shoved loads of hair spray all over her hair and her hair wont move, it doesnt sit on her body like normal hair? How did you overcome this?

So, what you're telling me is when you're fat sims wear this hair, it clips? I do not know how to fix this
Page 4 of 25