Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 6:11 PM Last edited by Angstrom : 7th Apr 2011 at 9:40 PM.
Default What features do you miss in TSM?
Here are some features that would have fit well into TSM, but were sadly left out.

* Build Mode. The Sims 1 was meant to be an architecture game, but Will Wright changed focus to the characters. It is sad to see that several expansion packs, and now Medieval, have locked down the Build Mode.
* A Carpenter hero. The Blacksmith might be my favorite hero career, because of the ability to make nearly anything from resources found on the ground. A Carpenter would be able to cut down different kinds of trees (appearing as spawning resources), getting different kinds of wood (shrub, birch, pine, oak and Watcherwood) for producing lutes, whaling boats, furniture, paper, books, charcoal and other useful stuff.
* An Artist hero. Painting and sculpting are already in TS3. Could maybe be merged with Carpenter or Bard. Would be perfect for a Renaissance expansion pack.
* Archery. Could be implemented in many different ways. For target shooting, hunting in the woods (no animations required), or for sending messages without pigeons. Able to upgrade to crossbows.
* Farming/Gardening. In real world Middle Ages. nearly all people, even those who had a non-farming income, grew some crops at home. The animations are already made for TS3.
* Ready-made food at the Tavern. As the Monarch ordering food, but at a cost. Would dramatically reduce micromanagement, and make the Tavern serve a purpose.
* Eating raw food from inventory. In TS3, Sims could eat more or less any food in their inventory, even raw onion. In TSM, Sims can only eat field rations. The game should have found a middle ground, where at least apples and cheese were edible.

What do you miss?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 6:17 PM
Definitely aging, and Hero's children enheriting their parent's profession (like the heir would be the next monarch)

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 7:48 PM
Unnatural Skin colors.
Diverse skill development.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 11:11 PM Last edited by EmuMaster2002 : 7th Apr 2011 at 11:22 PM.
I actually mentally drafted a huge design document about how I would do TSM differently,but I guess it was mostly instead of, not really things that were missing.

Still, the one thing that definitely stands out, is I would like to see more variety of kingdoms, if (?) and when more are released. I'd love to see an Egypt-esque desert kingdom with the ship replaced by a caravan, and just a river winding through for water rather than a whole ocean. Sure, it might break the "Whale ate my parents" trait, but if they played it right it would even add to the humour. Whales are so people-hungry they're willing to learn how to swim through the sand? That's hardcore.
A tundra kingdom could be neat, too, especially if they made the most of it with the little things. Ship replaced by something more like a Viking longboat, that sort of thing.

Another thing I would have done differently is replaced the regular hero system they have (one per building, basically) with a guild system. So, there's a guild of warriors, a guild of thieves, and a guild of mages, and they allow you more than one hero of a type, let's say six, and rather than choosing your quest from Kingdom Mode, you would just choose the hero you wanted to control (in sandbox mode, but with four daily responsibilities instead of none, with two being removed when you take a quest) and get a quest from your guild master, choosing anyone else the quest calls for to control then. Of course, some jobs wouldn't work too well in guild form (Really, just the Knight, Spy, Wizard, Merchant, and maybe Blacksmith would work with that) but in the Monarch's case, you would be able to make their whole family from the get-go, in the priests' case, nothing would really need changing, and there would just be up to six priests working for that church, etc.

Then, bringing back in the knight's and spy's quarters, seasoned guild members could sign up for THOSE positions and move out of the guild hall, getting their own place and higher-level quests.

Like I said, really involved redesign, but it would work so much better than the system they have now, and be more open to expansion.

Other than that, y'know, unnatural skin colours (and sliders) would be appreciated, as would more ways to get food for some professions. OR, letting the village be less of a pain in the ass to go to would also work.

Edit: Oh, and being able to make one hero related to another would be nice. Designating one as another's parent or sibling, at least. All the characters in my main kingdom are based on the characters of my book, and my Spy is the immortal ancestor of my Wizard, but at least being able to set them as parent-child for the purposes of finding them in the relationship panels easier would be nice, if nothing else.
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 11:19 PM
Yeah, I really miss aging. We could make the heroes immortal but I hate getting overrun by children in my game. I've been playing my kingdom for a while and there are more children than adults now. It just gets really annoying when doing the talking responsibilities and quests.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 11:24 PM
Even birth control existed in the Middle Ages (though you do NOT want to know what they tried or how effective it was), EA.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:28 AM
I would like to see more distinct non-European cultures among the foreign nations. Mongolians, Arabs, Moors and so on.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 9:34 AM
I still fail to see how most classes could be called heroes. Is it that heroic to produce armors or recite poems or preach at a church?

Anyway, back on topic.

I was a bit disappointed that sims just level, and that they cant learn any skills. Class specific skills and skills for all sims would have been a good way to go, leaving the leveling out entirely.
Alternatively they could have added a skill tree so select from when you level up, to increase the RPG features. As it is, sims3 is more of an RPG than sims medieval.
Instructor
#9 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 10:08 AM
Yes, skills. A sim should get some kind of skill from practicing with the fighting dummy, researching, hunting, cooking etc.

True, if a skill belongs to their profession they will get better at it at the next level, but still, some skills are not profession-specific but still useful, and I would like some kind of skill bar to check their progress

Instructor
#10 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 10:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One
I still fail to see how most classes could be called heroes. Is it that heroic to produce armors or recite poems or preach at a church?

Well, they're Heroes because they go on quests. And believe me, there have been times in History when fighting with words has been more heroic than fighting with swords.

Forum Resident
#11 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 1:33 PM
Heh well everyone is on quests. If only to buy that thing they wish to have, find that special someone, advance your career or anything else.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like the blacksmith, Physician, priests and all other classes. Calling my fat alcoholic balding blacksmith a hero just seems rather far fetched.

On another note, I agree about the guilds.

It could work very well if each building had a set of characters for it instead of just one, like a guild of sorts. For some quests an entire guild could be put to work, while others could be about two characters from different proffesions, like it is now.

The Knight's barracks could start with a Knight commander and a squire. In time the squire could be knighted, and more squires could be hired. In the end there could be a knight commander and three knights in the barracks.

Mages guild could have maybe four or five members. Aside from casting magic, each could have a specialty. The guild master could be profficient with all mage related skills. There could also be an enchanter, an alchemist, a librarian and a Spellsword, which can wield swords.

Merchant guild could have specialized merchants each with their own stall. One for exotics, one for food and drinks, and another for furniture. Armor and weaponry could be left to the blacksmith.

Blacksmith workshop could include a master smith and two apprentices which can become regular smiths in time. All of them can sell wares at the stall outside, typically the apprentices could switch shifts for this.

The tavern could include the Innkeeper and two bards. The Innkeeper could mostly serve a supportive role. The two bards could often be employed together, performing their plays without needing to hire actors. When one reads a poem on stage, the other could play an instrument in the background. They could also play songs together.

And so forth.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 7:27 PM
The more I play TSM the more I love it, but I do agree that we need a farmer/gardener profession. That's my favorite skill in TS2 and TS3. And there are plenty of hero gardener/farmers in stories, right? And I don't specifically want aging since I've always played the "epic" lifespan in TS3 and aging off in TS2, but I want the children to grow up and for them and the spouse to be selectable. Their random wandering in and out of the house bothers me. I especially "worry" if the kids are eating enough and sleeping...lol. If there are expansions, I'd love other lands you can actually play in. It's nice to get to know your kingdom well, but more variety is always good.
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 7:37 PM
Having food (like apples, tomatoes and so on ) that can be eaten any where.
Test Subject
#14 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 7:02 PM
Everytime I come to this forum I read something that sets medieval apart from the core game but in the wrong way. I find it hard to like the game after all this, I loved the team's work on castaway, why not make Sims Medieval and add The Sims 3 mechanics at the same time? From what I've been reading it would't be impossible.

Mostly I miss generations and family trees but it lacks buttload of features that make sims 3 or even sims 2. I want to like this game because the concept is awesome and I hope that Expansion packs will fix the game but I hoped Expansions would fix spore but they didn't.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 9:00 PM
some of the things i do miss will be fixed with new patch, it was anounced for today, but i'm still waiting for it. does anyone know when we will get it?

They tell us everything's alright and we just go along;
How can we fall asleep at night when something's clearly wrong?
When we can feed a starving world with what we throw away;
But all we serve are empty words that always tastes the same...

Nickelback - When We Stand Together
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 28th Apr 2011 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arwen_1986
some of the things i do miss will be fixed with new patch, it was anounced for today, but i'm still waiting for it. does anyone know when we will get it?

Good question. The launcher says it's available but I keep getting disconnection notices. Guess I'll wait until it's downloadable without the launcher...
Test Subject
#17 Old 29th Apr 2011 at 2:52 PM
Build mode and Aging is what I'd most like to see, as the game stands now it reminds me of the Sims 1 without build mode, better graphics and medieval theme. There's so much that could be done here, are they waiting for expansions? I surely hope so, at least I'd buy The Sims Medieval - Generations.
Test Subject
#18 Old 30th Apr 2011 at 12:39 PM
Vampire's
Mount's
an other (alien-like) hidden race to get children with it^^
Map-Creating
Modify the Outside from Houses
Modify the complete kingdom in Freeplay
The Buildmode
An Skill-treat for hero's (Like WoW or Other-Games)
Hevyer Enemy's

and an better English for me xDDD
Test Subject
#19 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 8:27 AM
Adoption is the only feature that I actually miss and really care about. I was never a fan of adoption in Sims 3, after all it's not like I'm helping a real child so I would rather make my own. But the queen of my kingdom is a lesbian so she's not gonna get pregnant...or adopt! > So no princes or princesses...ever!