Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:27 PM
University Life Questions
Afternoon, fellow Simmers.~

I've had University Life installed for some time, but have barely touched it. I'm thinking of having my Sim go about getting every degree, as she is extremely skilled with several skills mastered.

I have a few questions, though, seeing as I know nothing about University Life.

A)

Will my Sim lose her self-employed job as a Blockbuster Writer by going to university?

B)

After finishing university, will my Sim automatically grow up from being a Young Adult to an Adult (Like in The Sims 2)- even if I have aging disabled?

C)

My Sim has a cat in her hometown. Will leaving for university negatively affect her cat at all, or does time freeze like when you go to the future? Would leaving a Plumbot with the cat prevent any possible effects of leaving it alone?

I think that's everything. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:30 PM
A. No. Uni works just like World Adventures or ITF. In the home time, time doesn't even advance or anything.

B. No. It's not even tied to YA stage. I sent a retired grandma to uni just as well, IIRC, back when it came out. (And had her pose nude at the art college too.)

But, anyway, I can confirm first hand that my immortal vampire is still YA, after finishing some 5 degrees in a row.

C. No idea, I don't use Pets any more, because while I love cats IRL, Maxis's implementation ticked me off in all 3 TS games. I would assume that if you can leave the cat parked in ITF, it should work just the same in UL. Human roommates and family members seem to stay frozen in time just fine.
Alchemist
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 10:07 PM
If your sim has a pet, it will be fine. You get a notification that your pet will be cared for during your stay at the university. Same as in WA.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
A. No. Uni works just like World Adventures or ITF. In the home time, time doesn't even advance or anything.

B. No. It's not even tied to YA stage. I sent a retired grandma to uni just as well, IIRC, back when it came out. (And had her pose nude at the art college too.)

But, anyway, I can confirm first hand that my immortal vampire is still YA, after finishing some 5 degrees in a row.

C. No idea, I don't use Pets any more, because while I love cats IRL, Maxis's implementation ticked me off in all 3 TS games. I would assume that if you can leave the cat parked in ITF, it should work just the same in UL. Human roommates and family members seem to stay frozen in time just fine.

Thank you very much! Do you know if she will lose her self-employed career?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
If your sim has a pet, it will be fine. You get a notification that your pet will be cared for during your stay at the university. Same as in WA.

Oh, lovely. I assume that means I won't return to a rusted-out shell of a Plumbot. xD
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:25 AM Last edited by MoogleMog : 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:37 AM.
I only ask because I noticed that the university information screen replaces the career screen.
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:47 AM
no. your sim doesn't lose her job. nothing change in your world.
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MoogleMog
I only ask because I noticed that the university information screen replaces the career screen.

Well, the same happens in World Adventures or Into The Future, when you're away from home. When you go to France, it says "Unemployed", when you go back home, you have the same job you had before.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
Well, the same happens in World Adventures or Into The Future, when you're away from home. When you go to France, it says "Unemployed", when you go back home, you have the same job you had before.

Oh, that makes sense. Thank you very much!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 3:02 PM
Actually at Uni, the careers section is replaced with study performance. But when the student returns home, they should still be self employed.
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 5:57 PM
Hello All,
I have a little issue that I hope someone can help with. I inadvertently deleted the University Life Message / Job Board and mailbox. (I thought if I clicked delete object I could then select object *doh* - should never play without having had at least one cup of coffee during the day). Is there anyway to either get it back or replace it? I've tried buydebug but it's not listed in the items available for purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
mlw~
Scholar
#12 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 8:01 PM
Hmm, well, it's weird that the game didn't automatically spawn one when you went back live.

I THINK if you change the lot type to something else and back to dorm/sorority/frat house, it will create a job board. At least it did for me. Warning, though, you can only change it to those when you're not in it. So preferably between terms.

You can use a wall mailbox until then, for example.

Or, according to NRaas, someone made job boards here: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1119/

I didn't use them myself, so no first hand idea. Maybe it's worth a try.
Theorist
#13 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 4:36 PM
Thanks for the tips. I just got Uni last night and got it installed but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Good to know that anyone can go to uni and it's not limited to YA only. And just to confirm and ask a newb Uni question - teens can only go to uni after they've graduated high school (which makes sense) and do they stay teens while in uni?

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
#14 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 4:48 PM
Teens can't go to Uni at all. They can take the aptitude test, but they can't enroll until they turn into YA's.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Theorist
#15 Old 12th Oct 2014 at 6:55 PM
Sorry to hijack but when your sim graduates, is there a graduation ceremony or anything or they just go home with their diploma? Sorry, still trying to finish my sims education and I don't have a uni graduate yet.
Again, thanks in advance for the help and apologies for the hijack

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Scholar
#16 Old 12th Oct 2014 at 7:37 PM
If they have enough credits to graduate, yes, they go to the stadium for a rabbithole "ceremony". Which at least used to be bugged if you invited anyone to attend. Dunno if they fixed that in the meantime.
Theorist
#17 Old 12th Oct 2014 at 7:48 PM Last edited by lisfyre : 12th Oct 2014 at 11:56 PM.
Ah thanks I don't know about the bug fix but I'll make sure I won't invite anyone. The sims I've sent are single YA's I've created in CAS so no family to speak of... yet

ETA: OK my sim graduated, gown and all... no diploma to hang on the wall?!?!? Glitch or ???

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 2:04 AM
Your Sim should have a diploma.

BTW I've had a Sim invite family and I haven't had any issues so far.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Theorist
#19 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 2:46 AM
OK guys, another Uni newb question - where do I find the diploma of my graduated sim? Because I just finished uni on my 2nd sim and just like the first one, no diploma anywhere. Any advice?

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#20 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 3:29 AM
Sim diplomas should be in their personal inventory. Not sure if you can generate a college diploma through NRaas Debug Enabler, which I've occasionally used to replace missing high school diplomas, but yeah, glitch if you can't find it there. That's too bad; the college diplomas look kinda classy hanging on the wall.

Teens can go to homeworld universities, if you want to add one to your hood. You'll need NRaas Careers mod, Margaret Pendragon's UL rabbithole rugs, and a place for them to go. Lewisb40 has a really lovely home world university on this site if you're not an ambitious builder. I'm not, so most of my sims graduate from Lewis College.
Theorist
#21 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
Sim diplomas should be in their personal inventory. Not sure if you can generate a college diploma through NRaas Debug Enabler, which I've occasionally used to replace missing high school diplomas, but yeah, glitch if you can't find it there. That's too bad; the college diplomas look kinda classy hanging on the wall.

Teens can go to homeworld universities, if you want to add one to your hood. You'll need NRaas Careers mod, Margaret Pendragon's UL rabbithole rugs, and a place for them to go. Lewisb40 has a really lovely home world university on this site if you're not an ambitious builder. I'm not, so most of my sims graduate from Lewis College.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know teens could go to homeworld universities, good to know because I've wanted to download Lewis College but figured I didn't really need it since my simmies could go off to uni. I've gotta go get that now THanks. Bummer about the diplomas .. ah well, at least I know how to fix it now.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥