Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 9:00 PM
lol I completely forgot about selling at the stores. Shows how much I normally do that. I'll explore later about ways to give toys and guitar to others to play without moving them. I haven't yet rolled a Hands Off.. but doesn't hurt to be prepared. Thanks for the info.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
Katryn, from what I understand about Sim hair genetics, they don't blend at all. You get the hair color of one of the parents (or grandparents for Sims born to later generations), and you sometimes get a random hair color from nowhere, which would explain Safire.

Ahhh.. ok. Do you know if it's like in Sims 2 where even if you dye their hair later.. they keep their born with color in their genes?
As for editing faces in CAS, I hope that's okay, I've been tweaking the features of a lot of the born in game townies. I haven't yet altered the looks of my heir's spouse (or the spare's spouse), because I liked the way they look. But sooner or later one of my heirs will marry a Sim who has been altered, or the children of altered Sims. I also give distinctive features to the new townies the game moves into the neighborhood, because they all look alike, and I want variety. I would think that shouldn't be a problem as it doesn't affect any of the chalenge requirements or make it easier for you (except maybe easier for you to look at them, lol).
But I don't know about adding a potential spouse directly to the hood.

Cool. How do you select your townies to change them? Change households? Or use Supercomputer and right click?
Alchemist
#78 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 9:36 PM
Whatever hair color the Sim currently has is the 'genetic' color that will have a chance of being passed to the next generation. It's totally different from Sims 2.
I use the supercomputer to alter townies. I don't change households, I just left click, and under Advanced there's 'Edit in CAS' which allows you to tweak their features, change clothes and all that. The latest version also allows you to replace their looks with a Sim from your bin, which is awesome.
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 11:39 PM
In anticipation of my first death, I just made a small community lot called Twinklewinkle Family Graveyard next to my house. I will stock the little pond with death fish, and put all of my graves there. Any opinions on it? Suggestions for a more graveyard-y look?
Screenshots
Alchemist
#80 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by systempain
In anticipation of my first death, I just made a small community lot called Twinklewinkle Family Graveyard next to my house. I will stock the little pond with death fish, and put all of my graves there. Any opinions on it? Suggestions for a more graveyard-y look?

I just reached the point where I have to decide what to do with my dead, too.
Your graveyard looks very serene. I love all the big willow trees.
I grew up near a small family graveyard like that. (The land the neighborhood was on used to be a large family farm, and their old graveyard is still there.) What you have actually reminds me a bit of that little graveyard, except for the pond and mausoleum, which are both sort of necessary for the Sim version.
Test Subject
#81 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 12:21 AM

Oh wow.. that's an amazing idea! (ponders shamelessly stealing the idea and making her own similar lot)

Ideas.. hmm.. how about using the fog emitter to make some of that low laying fog? Some dead trees could make a creepy look if you're aiming that way. I'm guessing you're going more memorial like though.

Could do a temple of sorts. Either traditional (I'd make it really small though.. more personal like), or like the Chinese personal family temples used to honor and remember their ancestors. (I think that may be the route I'll do.)

Could also put in life and death plants.. kinda to resemble the cycle of life.

Could put a space by each grave spot to place something that represents the person who died. A memorial. A life plant for the gardener (a pretty simple representation) or something that embodies their personality. Say... you had a coward who was always afraid of the dark and you played it into his story. So when he died... you planted a lamp post by his grave.. so he would never be lost in the dark again. Or for the kind, sweet girl who was everyone's friend, you might wish to place a cluster of forget-me-nots. A rose by your tragic hopeless romantic. Lots of possibilities. You'll want something a wandering sim won't walk off with of course.. but also not something too weird (like an old stove by the grave of your once fabulous cook.) Though admittedly, putting a cheap bed by the grave of your great kissing massive flirt.. might be a tad humorous... it might also be tasteless to some lol.

Hehe anyway.. those are my thoughts.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Katryn
... Also, a rules question. Am I allowed to build and drop on the lot a potential mate for my heir? Or place into another lot to "meet", Or if not, may I at least do a CAS edit on their townie mate to get rid of the ugly mugs that townies always have? (I swear, townies with decent traits are always married and nearly elders, or they are horridly ugly. ...

I'm quite sure that creating a spouse in CAS and dropping them right on the lot would be cheating--part of the challenge is finding and wooing a mate. Putting a potential mate in town, and then having your heir seek them out, is a little grayer... y'know, kind of a find-your-soul-mate kind of story... but I would still consider it cheating, even if formally allowed by the rules.

Tweaking in CAS to be easier on the eyes, on the other hand, is really akin to changing their hair and clothes once they move in, which is surely allowed, so it's probably fine. And descendants of CAS sims born in town are pretty much equal to other sims for gameplay purposes (their traits and history are chosen by progression, not the player), so I shouldn't think they'd be of any concern at all. (Unless you're doing some kind of purist legacy that requires that heirs have, say, certain coloring, of course--biasing the town toward blue-eyed blondes when your heir must be blonde with blue eyes would of course be cheating.)

CAS editing to change traits, favorites, and LTW would probably be cheating, though.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 5:00 AM
I have bad news everyone. Our beloved Algus Twinklewinkle just got back from the doctor. He recently turned 90, according to the little green bar on his Simology panel. The doctor diagnosed him with Chronic Oldness. It is said to have a cure (Ambrosia), which I have plenty of on hand, but I'm afraid he isn't going to make it. The doctor said he only has a few days to live. My next report will be after his death. I may include a play-by-play of the funeral, but then again I may not. I would make a montage, but I'm too lazy. Maybe just a eulogy. systempain here, signing off.
Attached Images

Lab Assistant
#84 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 4:13 PM
I have bad news everyone. Our beloved Algus Twinklewinkle just got back from the doctor. He recently turned 90, according to the little green bar on his Simology panel. The doctor diagnosed him with Chronic Oldness. It is said to have a cure (Ambrosia), which I have plenty of on hand, but I'm afraid he isn't going to make it. The doctor said he only has a few days to live. My next report will be after his death. I may include a play-by-play of the funeral, but then again I may not. I would make a montage, but I'm too lazy. Maybe just a eulogy. systempain here, signing off.

Aww, poor old feller! Here's to you Algus Twinklewinkle...

BTW, I am totally stealing the family plot idea.
Alchemist
#85 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 4:24 PM Last edited by calisims : 17th Jul 2010 at 8:30 PM.
Rest in Pants, Algus Twinkewinkle. Uh, I mean peace.
I'm also thinking of stealing the family plot idea. There's free land near my legacy house I could place an empty in, and then have my family purchase it as a 'venue'. LOL, I wonder if they'll make money from it. I kind of hope not, I also want to use it as a money sink.
Which actually begs the question, are owned venues allowed? I assume they pass through generations and become a permanent source of income. Personally, I'm trying to get rid of my excess wealth, not trying to make more money, but I would like to own the family plot.

I have another rule question: It says that the parent(s) of the previous generation may stay in the house after their heir becomes YA. So I take this to mean that the parent(s) may also move out at that point? Do they have to be in elder stage to move out, or can we move them out as adults, if they've achieved their generation goals and the heir has become a YA?
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 10:34 PM
Algus Twinklewinkle was a great man, depending on who you asked. Some say he was the mean old man living in a tiny house with a GIANT back yard, but to Kedula, he was just Dad. His name, Algus, is Estonian for Start. This is apropriate, as he saved up all of his money and bought a giant plot of land right by the Landgraabs, thus beginning his legacy in Sunset Valley. He started with next to nothing, and worked his way up in society. His only daughter, Kedula, is seen wearing the traditional Twinklewinkle mourning hat. On a lighter note, I finally put that new graveyard to use! :D
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 12:44 PM
The Grangers finally made it to China after Zoe's snake charming skills sent their bank account over the top of 50,000 simoleons. She's feeling pretty good reaching a lifetime goal at such a young age. Her husband, however, is just getting started on achieving that personal museum he's always wanted. Luckily, his Super Spy job has him being sent all over the world. Little does the family know, but Jesse was really being sent to China to get to know some locals. He really needs to work on his disguises and a family vacation is the perfect backdrop.

Meanwhile, an heir has been chosen for the next generation and Ryan is quite disappointed as he really only wants to please his father (dad was rather cold when Ryan was a child). The family torch will be passed to young Kaylie when the time is right.

Generation 2 of the Random Legacy: The Grangers stats are as follows:
Single parent
2 kids
Primary job - Criminal (making cop dad oh so happy!)
Epic Party
Runs in family trait - Brave

I don't really pick their traits, I roll a dice and count down the list until I get whatever pops up. It been kinda crazy not picking their traits. But I felt it was in the spirit of the challenge.
Alchemist
#88 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 3:06 PM
I love that the cop's kid will be a criminal.

Chapter 10 of my blog is up (link in my sig)
Field Researcher
#89 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 6:05 PM Last edited by mimi250 : 18th Jul 2010 at 6:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lytefoot
1) As I understand it, you can garden all you like with any sim--the limitation is that you aren't allowed to sell your produce.

2) The limitation with Hands-off (as I've interpreted it as I played, anyway) is that you can't click and drag your sim's inventory to get items from place to place--in essence, only moving using interactions or in Build Mode--and you can't drop things down the inventory hole to sell them. So if you're playing Hands Off, you can't drag a book from your inventory into the shelf, you have to use the Put Away interaction (which requires the sim to walk over to the shelf). You can't just delete those old newspapers on your lot, you have to order a sim to recycle them. Any time it would seem to the sims that something is being moved about by the "hand of god," you have to have them do it instead. In addition, AwesomeMod has a feature called something like "The Robotic Hand of God" that expands these capabilities somehow (I don't use AwesomeMod, so I don't fully understand it), and you mustn't use that feature, either.

Thank your for your reply

I started with a couple, 3 childrens, the man (John Matthew) in law enforcement (forencsis) and the woman (Ellen Matthew) inventor, they have to fulfill their LTW (it'll be hard for the woman as she wants to create 3 monsters).. and Hands-off

They have a little boy, kevin, who will have to find a spouse and work in the culinary career. He'll have 3 perfect children, and his spouse will have to collect bugs and gems. They won't be allowed to call any service sims.

Ellen Matthew is pregnant again for.. her lover, Justin Kayes who is a seller in the commitment store. I think the last child will be for Justin too. Her husband works a lot and their relationship is not very well. They don"t even talk to each other. So, Justin is more attractive to her. She use to go at the commitment store and they have fun time talking and flirting.. there is a bed for woohoo too at the commitment store

Another question: How about community lots? Are we allowed to buy these lots? It'd have been nice to introduce a rule (in the goals) about that..
Field Researcher
#90 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 8:25 PM
My first generation, Max and Shaena, are now elders. Max retired at once, his pension and the money in the bank should be more than enough to carry them until Andreas grows up and starts writing full time. He's already published his first novel, but between schoolwork and his social life, he hasn't had much time for writing. Story progression moved *one* more teen girl into town; Andreas has been flirting with both of them, and thus far hasn't been too indiscreet about it to make either jealous. He's destined to have two children... we'll see if that can't work out in an... interesting way.

Max and Shaena as elders:

Test Subject
#91 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 8:45 PM
hehe I hope the kids look like her husband else me might end up figuring out where Elen's been.

Well, weekends are usually busy for me, so I didn't get any play time in yesterday, but here's an update so far anyway.

The twins have become competitive as they have grown. It started about the time they entered school. Both girls are brilliant, geniuses in fact. However, Kira finds it all too easy and tends to not take much very seriously. She'll draw on her assignments in class, or goof off with her friends, yet still ace her tests and assignments. This all tends to irritate Safire. While Saf also is still getting A's in all her classes.. she actually studies and pays attention in class. Kira, however does have a bone to pick with Safire, as Saf was picked as heir, and she was not.. despite her obvious brilliance with ease.

One morning, Kira was showing off to her sister her new easel. This brought Safire to the breakfast table a bit miffed. "You got Kira her own easel??" she exclaimed. Her father, his mouth full with a bite of pancakes simply nodded. He also didn't really want to volunteer the information that he got it for her mainly because Kira wouldn't stop bugging him asking if she could do some painting on his drafting table.

Safire poked at her own breakfast, making perforated patterns across the surface of her pancake. "So, when can I have a fishtank?" she asked quietly. She had wanted one for quite a while now but was trying to not nag her parents about it. At least, not too much.

Katryn smiled at her daughter. "When you catch a fish, dear"

Safire didn't waste any time. She had no objections to going outside in her underclothes and go fishing in the small pond out back. She stayed out there till the last moment, running inside to get dressed when the school bus arrived and started banging on the horn. Sadly, she didn't catch anything. This did not deter her though. Immediately after school she quickly finished her homework and ran out back to the pond and got to fishing. While she still didn't catch anything that night... she felt she still learned alot and found herself enjoying fishing for the pure sake of fishing. It was relaxing. Her father decided to make some phone calls.

The next morning after a quick breakfast, Safire went out to try at the pond again. This time her efforts were rewarded. Sure, it was small.. a goldfish in fact, but she instantly raced inside and grabed the largest glass mixing bowl she could find in the kitchen. After filling it with water, she released her golden prize into it and raced out the door to catch the bus. Her father had called a taxi and was also heading out.

In fact.. her father had lined up a couple high end Architect jobs. He enjoyed his work... sometimes. After reaching the top of his career though, he had lost some interest in it and only did jobs on occasion as he felt up to it. Today though, he had some interior decorating plans of his own. And some exterior ones too.

Both girls were in shock the moment they stepped off the bus. A beautiful front porch graced their usually boring looking home. Kira ran straight to her room. Whether it was to see if she got any goodies, or to see if her dad might have taken away some aspect of her "blue lit room" is unknown. She was not disappointed. New carpet was soft under her feet, but she didn't notice it. Her eyes were glued on the new stereo. And not just any stereo, a top of the line, "do it all" stereo! She immediately turned it on and started dancing.

Safire however had been checking out the new changes though the whole house, the carpet and hard wood floors, the new craft room, the lovely new windows that lit up the living room. The sound of the stereo brought her to her sisters room and she clapped happily for her sister's new additions. There were other things that really helped finish the room, but she suspected her sister didn't even notice them yet, and might not for a while. Finally, she made her way to her own room, and cried out with glee as she saw the small little goldfish she had caught earlier that morning, swimming among the pretend coral in a beautiful 75 gallon fish tank! The rest of her room had been finished too, and she made sure to tear herself away from the fish tank to check it all out.

From the hallway, Katryn and Wullger watched their light haired daughter as she took in the site of not only her new fish tank, but of all the changes through the house, as well as those in her sister's room. They smiled at each other and knew they had not chosen wrongly for their heir.

Now, this is not to put down Kira, or to say she is a self centered girl. She's just a bit over enthusiastic is all. After she tired of dancing, she turned to the half finished canvas sitting on her easel and began to paint, keeping the music in the background. As she relaxed into her art, she realized that this new gift was for all to enjoy. Even her stereo. Life had gotten more fun for them all. She put down her paintbrush and headed out of her room to join the rest of her family, and to thank her parents too.

Wow, that update was a lot more involved then I intended. lol I'll try not to do that again. :P
Test Subject
#92 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 10:01 PM
Amelia finally gave birth to a girl, 3 in fact! That satisfies the required amount of 5 children. There is Xeno (teen), Frank (child), and the 3 girls who are now all toddlers: Lily, Ginny, and Luna. All of the girls inherited their mothers medium blonde hair, but they each have different colored eyes (yay for the random trait that occasionally comes up! xD ). Amelia currently has her hands full trying to teach them what they need to know and keep them happy, but at least they aged up on a Saturday, so Xeno can help his mother for the first couple of days. One of these girls will end up being the heir, I'll decide which one once they age up to children.
Amelia's kind of relieved she won't have any more children, she really wants to get back to working so she can bring in some more cash. She's been pregnant almost constantly, with roughly only a few days between pregnancies.
Instructor
Original Poster
#93 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 10:57 PM
OMG sorry I didn't get back to this thread for so long. Got super-busy irl, and was working out a bunch of extra rules, and forgot to check it for about a week.

Quote: Originally posted by mimi250
1) If my inventor wants to create 3 monsters (LTW) is he allowed to garden for the life fruits he'll need? Or will I have to choose another LTW.. thanks in advance

It's 100% ok to garden, you just can't make money from it. So, you can't sell the life fruit you grow, but you can certainly grow them.

Quote: Originally posted by mimi250
2) I haven't uderstood what is exactly "Hands-off" ? Could you explain better?

Lytefoot explained this really well. The exception is if there's something the sim can't do(pick up some food that needs to be taken to work for an opportunity, for example), and in that case you can drag it manually. See the next bit for more clarification:

Hmm... that raises a question though. Say your inventor has built a toy and wants to let their kids play with it. How do you give it to them? Or you need to sell those widgets you made (as inventing is your career) which are automatically put into your inventory after they are made. Or say you're a reporter and you dig through someone's trash to get some dirt on them. You pick up all sorts of "other" things as well.. moodlight candle, soap, and real trash. How would one interact with these things to take care of them/place them on lot/ect. without dragging them from the inventory?

Like I said above, if there is no way for the sim to perform the action on their own, you can do it for them. For example, dragging an invented toy into the toy bin, or a widget onto display. If you haven't patched your game yet, you may sell invented items via the inventory drag if you're playing an inventor, to avoid the no-profession-credit bug. If you've patched, apparently they've fixed that bug, so you should take your wares to the consignment shop to sell them instead. If you don't have ambitions, and thus no consignment shop(correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it came with the base game patch), you may sell goods for your profession via the inventory if no other rabbit hole will accept them. It's ok to drag a guitar into a sim's inventory, since there's no other way for them to pick it up and take it with them to a community lot.

This is actually what I'm planning to do for my first generation awesome challenge. Since my more fun was a shared trait(kleptomaniac), I'm going to landscape a lot(and build basic walls, floors, counters, etc), subtracting the cost from my family's funds(as if they'd purchased the lot), and then decorate it with stolen items. Seems like an ambitious enough project to me, and will be useful.

Also, a rules question. Am I allowed to build and drop on the lot a potential mate for my heir? Or place into another lot to "meet", Or if not, may I at least do a CAS edit on their townie mate to get rid of the ugly mugs that townies always have? (I swear, townies with decent traits are always married and nearly elders, or they are horridly ugly. It's very rare I find any who are at least passable on the eyes. It's always big noses, Mick Jagger lips, or a 500lb beach ball. Or much more commonly... all 3. [Though I did find this scrawny hermit guy in Townbrook who had these.. face extending dumbo ears. That was a new one. Got me wishing I had remembered to give Katryn some slightly elfin ears. I may do a CAS edit on this gen's her to add them.. we'll see ])

You shouldn't edit anything in CAS that you can't change via the mirror or dresser functions in the game, unless it's to add wrinkles or freckles to a sim as they age(sometimes they disappear for no reason, or you want a sim to be wrinkly but couldn't set the genetics when you made them). I know a lot of the sims are fugly, but it's part of the fun to try to breed out the fug. Now, creating your own sims and putting them in as mates is a bit more complicated. I don't like breaking up sim families any more than most of the rest of you do(though, I know some of you out there... >_>), and I'm not going to require you to do that. If at all possible, find a mate the normal way in game, but if there's simply no-one to be found(this is more likely to happen with certain story modes than with others), you may create a single sim of the same lifestage as your sim. But, you must randomize the traits and LTW(you can change them later with the lifetime happiness rewards), and you must put them in a household that isn't your own, and then meet them the normal way.

Which actually begs the question, are owned venues allowed? I assume they pass through generations and become a permanent source of income. Personally, I'm trying to get rid of my excess wealth, not trying to make more money, but I would like to own the family plot.

Unless stated otherwise in the rules, you may own venues and collect money from them.

I have another rule question: It says that the parent(s) of the previous generation may stay in the house after their heir becomes YA. So I take this to mean that the parent(s) may also move out at that point? Do they have to be in elder stage to move out, or can we move them out as adults, if they've achieved their generation goals and the heir has become a YA?

You may move out your older sims if you want, as long as the generation goal has been met.
Instructor
Original Poster
#94 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 11:16 PM Last edited by tigger89 : 18th Jul 2010 at 11:39 PM.
Added two new career types:

Job Hopper - Must play a sequence of careers in order, playing each career until they reach level 5(careers or professions), or for a week in sim-time(part time and non-standard careers). Roll ten times for the different careers, and play them in the order you rolled them.

Freelance Scientist - Devoted to logic and reason, but not feeling the 9-5 laboratory grind? Spend your time searching the galaxy, solving problems over the computer, and hacking instead.

Also added a new generational challenge:

Living Green - Must live eco-consciously. These restrictions take effect when the heir of the generation they're rolled for becomes a young adult, and continues until the next generation's heir reaches young adulthood.
* Must never take taxis. Carpooling to work or using the fire engine is ok, but sims must bike at all other times. If a sim takes a taxi, that's ok, but cancel the action and give them whatever bike they'd lost asap. Sims caught out without a bike must walk or jog until they arrive at a lot where you can give them a bike.
* Must use an eco-friendly laundry system. This consists of the expensive washing machine and a clothesline(no dryer allowed!). You may have multiple washing machines and clotheslines.
* Must grow your own produce and fish your own fish. You may purchase meat, dairy, eggs, etc from the store, but nothing that you can normally grow in your own garden or fish out of water. Cake and baked goods from the toy oven are okay to eat. Your sim doesn't have to eat organic or vegetarian food, normal food is ok, as long as you've grown the produce yourself.
* Must not waste fuel flying around the world. Your sims may only take one vacation per week.
* If your sim invents, you may not purchase scrap. You must salvage it on your own.
* You may not purchase 'new' furniture via the buy mode this generation, with the exception of bikes, bike racks, and your eco-friendly laundry system. You must obtain it 'used' from the junkyard, or steal it from community lots and other homes. The exception is if you are playing generation 1, in which case you may purchase as many beds, cribs and hampers as necessary, all toddler/child toys, one fridge, one oven, two sinks, one toilet, one shower and one counter. There are no restrictions on build mode.
EDIT 7/18: Forgot to put the actual goal into this. Oops. Here it is:
* Your sim must either create a new park/nature-themed lot from scratch, or improve significantly upon an existing lot. In both cases, the sim must fund the project by subtracting the cost of the improvements or entire lot from the family funds.

Added three new flavors of miscellaneous fun:

Multi-Cultural - All children born to this generation(the children born at the time you roll this will be the parents) must be from another culture, or combination of cultures. Reroll if you're supposed to adopt. For additional flavor, try to use items from different cultures when choosing outfits for your sims, and for decorating your home this generation.

Half-Siblings - No two pregnancies or individual adoptions this generation may be with the same partner. Reroll if you only need one child.

Hoarder - You may not sell items this generation(from when the heir becomes a young adult until the next generation's heir becomes a young adult). You may purchase new items via buy mode, but selling old items you don't want anymore is forbidden. You may sell objects related to your sim's job or career. For example, a painter may sell their paintings, and a farmer may sell their produce, but no sim may sell the ugly sofa their great-great-aunt thought was god's gift to simkind.

And put in some clarifications/adjustments to the rules, as well as starting a new rules section for all the tiny things that would get lost elsewhere. Lytefoot take note - I changed the random number upper bound for several categories, so make sure you adjust your program accordingly if you're going to continue maintaining it.
Test Subject
#95 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 1:54 AM Last edited by Katryn : 19th Jul 2010 at 2:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by tigger89
Multi-Cultural - All children born to this generation(the children born at the time you roll this will be the parents) must be from another culture, or combination of cultures. Reroll if you're supposed to adopt. For additional flavor, try to use items from different cultures when choosing outfits for your sims, and for decorating your home this generation.

Oooo I was hoping for something along these lines Really do like the idea.

My husband had an idea he mentioned to me yesterday and I'd thought I'd pass it on to you. (I hope you don't mind.)

A "Legacy" section. Which would kinda tie each generation into the others. Something that must happen by say gen 4, gen 7, then gen 10 (or which ever landmarks you like). Could ether roll them all at once, or at each landmark. (At gen 4, you would roll for the one done by gen 7.) I'm thinking it would be easier all at once, but makes a better challenge when done at the landmarks.

Some examples might be:

The Omen: Before your next gen landmark, you must have an heir born with black hair (can dye it later if wanted), while that heir's parents do not have black hair. (re roll if this is gen 1.) (Or could just say heir is born with a hair color different from his/her parents. This one is a bit iffy though, as it does have a strong element of chance)

The Celebrating Child: Build a nectar cellar 2 lvls below ground for your landmark heir to inherit. This cellar must have at least 5 racks completely filled with nectar. (Or whatever you think is a good number, Tigger. Could also say all home made with home grown ingredients to make it harder.) When the first child of the generation is born, the oldest bottle of nectar is to be served within 24 hours. (If this child is not the heir, you will serve another bottle when he/she is born, always going for the oldest bottle. If you don't want to choose yet.. do it for each birth.) Each day the heir ages up, serve the next oldest bottle of nectar. (Again, if you haven't chosen, do it for each child.) Once the heir celebrates his/her young adulthood and coming into their inheritance, a bottle of nectar (always going with the oldest bottle) is served every weekend for the rest of his/her life. (Both Saturday and Sunday, and of course... every birthday. Yes, this may likely make for an empty nectar cellar by the time the heir dies... but that's the idea.)

The Blessings of the Earth: By the time the landmark generation is born, the family lot must contain a perfect garden. This is a garden that not only has at least 1 plant of every possible item that can be grown (including all WA plants/trees, if the expansion is owned), but also every plant must be of perfect quality... nothing less. (lol comes out nice if you get this along with Homegrown) I don't know about including egg and cheese plants.. that's your call.

The Hall of Ancestors: By the time the landmark generation heir is born, a Hall of Ancestors is to be made in the home. In this hall is a portrait of each member of each generation at each stage in their lives (other than infant), since the moment this challenge was rolled (or since the birth of the previous landmark gen heir, depends on the system you would choose to give us).

hehe I had another idea, but lost it while making dinner... ah well.

Anyway... just a basic little idea to tie in the various generations. Hope you don't mind me offering these thoughts.
Field Researcher
#96 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tigger89

I'm not sure I understand this one. Is it WA-only? Or is it a more flavor-y thing, like seeking out sims in the town that appear to have various cultural backgrounds? (I want to know if it's WA-only before I update the utility.)

Edit: Oh, and a question about Hoarder! Is it okay to stash the hideous couch in the family inventory where it's out of the way, or does it have to stay on the lot?
Test Subject
#97 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:36 AM
I'm not sure I understand this one. Is it WA-only? Or is it a more flavor-y thing, like seeking out sims in the town that appear to have various cultural backgrounds? (I want to know if it's WA-only before I update the utility.)

My guess is that would be a WA thing, for the Chinese, French, and Egyptian backgrounds. In town, about all I can think of would be seeing those of different skin color.. appearing to be white, hispanic, or african-american.
Field Researcher
#98 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:40 AM
Oh, and one more question. If you have Job Hopper and Perfect Careers, do you need to make it through all 10!? I don't think that's physically possible on Normal live span.
Test Subject
#99 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:51 AM
Oh, and one more question. If you have Job Hopper and Perfect Careers, do you need to make it through all 10!? I don't think that's physically possible on Normal live span.

Heheh it's not. Well.. might max 1 with a lot of luck. 1 week each in 10 jobs is 70 days... and that's after reaching YA, putting a sim finishing at around 90. Which is about how old I think Angus was when he died. And I don't think anyone can max a career in a week or less. Course, this becomes even less likely if the person doing it is female and is to have kids. If she happened to be a workaholic, she could work from home and help this a bit.

Oh, and then there's the skills... lol
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 3:19 AM

I don't think you're obligated to make it through all ten. The point is switching every time you get to level 5, thus mixing it up.
Page 4 of 22