Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Should I take off the week before or after Christmas break?
Take off the week before
7 50.00%
Take off the week after
3 21.43%
Seriously?
4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 5:25 PM
Default I am indecisive, and it agonizes me.
I can't decide.

My work gives me 2 weeks off for Christmas/New Year's. It's custom that I extend it to 3-weeks by taking an extra week off.
I can't decide, should I take off the week before, or the week after?

My B-day is the week before. Missing work on my B-day means I don't have to bring treats for my co-workers (my work culture is the person having the B-day brings treats for everybody else, kind of the opposite of what you'd expect, but that's how it works here).

There is a free luncheon I'd miss if I take the week after. I'm an introvert so I really don't mind to miss it. In fact, in a way I would rather miss it, but at the same time I feel like it's good to put in some face time since I normally hide away in my cave all day. I usually feel good that I put in the face time if I do it. I've worked here 13yrs, sometimes wonder if people even know my name.

The week before might be more hectic because Christmas season. The week after might be more calm as everything returns to normal. Although not sure that matters since I probably won't leave the house much. Then there's the slight feeling of being uncomfortable returning to work when I've been out a long time, which I would probably feel a bit if I take the week after. I probably won't feel that if I return to work the same day as everyone else.

Resident wet blanket.
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 6:07 PM
What week do you normally take-off? I'd go with that week. For me the week before Christmas would be the most useful because I would use it to do last minute Christmas preparations. But do you need an extra week off? Why not save it for later in the year?

I also get 2 weeks off of work at Christmas, when the children were still at school I used to take off the whole of the Christmas school holiday time so that I didn't have to find childcare, but I don't need to do that now. I sometimes take Christmas Eve off.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 6:18 PM
Last year I took the week after and I thought that's what I always did, but I guess normally I take the week before but I didn't realize it as I missed the free luncheon last year but managed to go every other year. Guess my memory stinks.

I did consider to break my tradition and not take a week off at all and save it for later. Although my wife doesn't get as many vacation days as me so I'll be spending it alone either way. I figure taking it in the cold of winter will allow me to do sedentary and lazy stuff like play video games all day without feeling guilty about not doing more constructive things. I feel like if I took it off in the Spring or something, I'd feel guilty for not doing more useful things or getting stuff done. In the cold winter, I have an excuse, it's too c-c-cold out there!

Resident wet blanket.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#4 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 6:33 PM
How about half and half? A few days before and a few after?

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 7:30 PM
That would be a good compromise, but usually a vacation feels more substantial to me when it's continuous and uninterrupted by work days.

Although now I'm back to wondering if I should even bother to take it off at all. Ugh, decisions decisions!

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 8:09 PM
More time for Christmas prep, your birthday off, plus free lunch when you get back. What's there to wonder about?

Saving the week for later could also be a good idea, though.
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 5:47 PM
Alright, requested the week before Christmas off. Hope I can enjoy it and not waste it worrying about stuff.

As stupid as this thread seems, I really do appreciate the votes and feel very touched that three of you even took the time to humor me with your thoughts, which are much appreciated!

I really do have trouble making decisions and agonize over even minor decisions. Gotta wonder if this is a real mental illness some people have, or maybe it's just me (and my dad - he is similar).
I don't do well at places like Subway, Qdoba, or Chipotle where you have to make a decision on every little ingredient that goes into your food. Those places are pure torture.

Resident wet blanket.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#8 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 7:01 PM
There is a condition where it becomes difficult for the brain to make a decision - it is called Aboulomania

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 5:58 PM
Wow, that describes me to a tee. Never knew that was an actual mental disorder.

Resident wet blanket.