Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2016 at 6:50 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Showtime
Default Ok so either I have to buy a new laptop
cause my graphic card sucks it isn't compatible with the sims 3 and everytime i play the sims3 i keep getting bad graphics, like weird effects

what my question would be is what kind of a laptop do i need to ask for to be able to play the sims 3 with no problems at all?

or could I get my laptops a new graphic card?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 11th May 2016 at 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by prettymiley
cause my graphic card sucks it isn't compatible with the sims 3 and everytime i play the sims3 i keep getting bad graphics, like weird effects

weird effects?? like what?? did you run FPS limiter when running the game? what is your current laptop's spec? did you patched your game to 1.69? Can you post your DeviceConfig from your TS3 Docs folder here?

what my question would be is what kind of a laptop do i need to ask for to be able to play the sims 3 with no problems at all?

that's tough to almost impossible to answer lol.., well if you buy a new one for gaming purpose.. a high performance one.. well.. it's not about your new laptop but, 1st you need to understand how TS3 runs and all its trouble.. and you need to do some tweaks to be able to play it to fit your play style, the best and simple way to play it with almost "no problems at all" as you wish.. would be; install TS3 BG only (no patch, no EPs, no SPs, no cc, and no mods) and always run FPS limiter everytime you play the game, replace Sunset Valley world with the routing fixed by Ellacharmed, the 1st lag (well.. lightweight lag) you'll see is about 20 or more generations away of your sims family

or could I get my laptops a new graphic card?

you could.. but not recommended..
Test Subject
#3 Old 12th May 2016 at 1:40 AM
Default graphic Card
About 1 year ago, I built myself a new Tower PC, so I could play the Sims 3. I threw my old laptop out, as I couldn't find one in the shops with a powerful graphics card. I am now using a NVidia GeForce GTX980, and a Intel Core i7-5930K CPU which has 12 processors @ 3.50GHz. Also I have 128Gb of Ram (memory). Also I don't have all the Sims game setting options set to "maximum" (mainly tree and water detail). Nothing personal, but laptops are not much good for playing "high spec games". Just in case you were wondering, my Tower PC cost me £2,300. The GeForce graphics card cost me nearly £500. I even had to invest in a PC that is "liquid cooled", as its a much better way in keeping the processor cool, my cooling system is a similar set up to a car radiator. But as usual, PC prices are dropping, that's if you don't want to buy the very latest graphic cards etc.
Test Subject
#4 Old 12th May 2016 at 1:47 AM
Forgot to mention, the Tower I am using is a "CM Storm". It only comes with a power supply. I think it cost me about £250. By the way, if you are thinking about buying this tower, be warned, its massive. I had to nearly rebuild my PC desk so it could fit in. Also after I built my PC, I had a shock, its rather heavy.
Theorist
#6 Old 12th May 2016 at 11:44 AM
I don't think you can get a new graphics card for your laptop. Do you have a lot of Custom Content? I can play small lots okay with a 6 year old laptop and Sims 3 plus 5 EPs. I'm trying to limit my downloads. The loading time is not horrible. I just got University for Mother's Day so I can't say how long it takes. I just stick it and walk away and it loads within 10 minutes. My sims graphics (for the people) are on high. I like good detail on my Sims--as far as everything else, I deal with it. I've found over the years it's very hit or miss to get "the right" computer to run The Sims. My computers never could run Sims 2 very well but on this laptop the UC runs pretty well. I've noticed digital downloads make a big difference. Good luck.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers