Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 10:12 PM
Default Mesh seams issue
My shirt mesh has some seam issues, help? I'm sure its pretty simple but I'm a noob Made in TSRW with Milkshake
Screenshots

Hi I'm Paul!
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 10:42 PM
Quick and easssssy fix! Install the Align Normals plug-in. Then, select the entire mesh (the vertices) and go to vertex -> align normals.

And, viola, fixed!

What happens is that you probably had Auto Smooth enabled on accident. This is the little tick box under the groups tabs. Be sure to disable that before meshing.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 11:11 PM
Align normals might not fix the neck, unfortunately. Always turn off autosmooth when you start!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 11:23 PM
Thank you, it seems that aligning normals has done something really strange though. "Unmatched number of vertices in group 'group_fat' got 1859, expected 1860" If I undo the normals alignment it imports fine so somehow it's deleting a vertex...

Hi I'm Paul!
Mother Function
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Thank you, it seems that aligning normals has done something really strange though. "Unmatched number of vertices in group 'group_fat' got 1859, expected 1860" If I undo the normals alignment it imports fine so somehow it's deleting a vertex...

I think I remember someone having that issue waaaaay back.

Maybe try selecting just the areas where the seams are at and doing the align normals things?

Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:02 AM
I started on a new mesh because I wasn't happy with how it was going (and to rid it the smoothing issue) and the problem is still persisting. I'm still getting the errors where a group is one vert. less then what it should be, it's not aligning normals issues like I thought because I haven't touched that control. Basically I'll import the mesh, edit the base group and export. When i import it tells me that Fat or Thin or whatever is the number it should be - 1 even though I didn't touch those groups at all....

Hi I'm Paul!
Mother Function
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:10 AM
Oh I didn't notice that you're using TSRW. Try meshing with simgeoms exported from CTU instead?

Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:08 AM
I'll try that...

Hi I'm Paul!
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:14 AM
The reason you get the error is because the morphs are duplicates from the basemesh, they must stay identical as the base mesh.
So if you delete a vertice/face on the base mesh you must delete the same one on each morph.
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
The reason you get the error is because the morphs are duplicates from the basemesh, they must stay identical as the base mesh.
So if you delete a vertice/face on the base mesh you must delete the same one on each morph.

I know that, the thing is that I'm not touching the morphs at all and I know I didn't delete any vertexes.

Stupid question: Do you not do morphs in .Simgeoms? CTU only exports the base mesh and Cmars tutorial didn't mention anything about having to do morphs either...

Hi I'm Paul!
Mother Function
retired moderator
#11 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:27 AM
Usually if you just manipulate the meshes (reshape, rescale, move, etc) without deleting any vertices, you don't have to worry about morphs at all.

Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:23 AM
Awesome

Hi I'm Paul!
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 12:31 AM
Are you allowed to edit bone assignments? I'm not sure what went wrong exactly, I edited a couple bone assignments since I made the shirt a lot longer and in game it went kerflooey. It's possible that it could be anything but I've tested it several times in game without this issue and bones were mainly what I edited. It's still animating my assignments correctly though (the crazy points are still moving with the pelvis and thighs).

Are you allowed to open the package in S3PE and replace the LOD rather then make a new package in CTU every time? That's the only other thing I did differently
Screenshots

Hi I'm Paul!
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 3:10 AM
Yes, you can update the GEOM with Postal or S3PE and yes you can edit the boneassignements.
Not sure wat happened here tho...

check if the problem gets worse when using the sliders, if not then its the boneassignements.

Did you install a newer version of TSRW and maybe forgot to update the WSO plugin?

Uhm, and another thing is you first started with TSRW and then switched to CTU?
If so, keep in mind you can not use the same mesh on both Wes H his GEOM im/exporter and TSRW's WSO im/exporter.
If you work with CTU you use the meshes exported with CTU and Wes H his plugin.
If you work with TSRW you use the WSO plugin and meshes exported with TSRW
Theorist
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 3:20 AM
Problems stay the same with sliders and the meshes/package haven't touched TSRW

Hi I'm Paul!
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 3:56 AM
Dont know wats causing it.
Unassigned bones snap to the floor, yours go sky high...

I started on a new mesh because I wasn't happy with how it was going (and to rid it the smoothing issue) and the problem is still persisting. I'm still getting the errors where a group is one vert. less then what it should be, it's not aligning normals issues like I thought because I haven't touched that control. Basically I'll import the mesh, edit the base group and export. When i import it tells me that Fat or Thin or whatever is the number it should be - 1 even though I didn't touch those groups at all....

This happened with some older version of TSRW
Theorist
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 4:34 AM
I'm still using the old 1.0 version because I can't stand how many problems are in 2.0

Hi I'm Paul!
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 1:57 PM
I'm still using the old 1.0 version because I can't stand how many problems are in 2.0

Like wat problems?
They washed out all the bugs, i think its great for creating clothing.
Just make sure you update the plugins for Milkshape that comes with the latest version.
Theorist
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 10:24 PM
I do a lot of hair conversions and it's really annoying to work with an unaligned child body... also .packages don't work on import.

Hi I'm Paul!