Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#901 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 12:42 PM
I've spent the last week or so making schools. I was getting tired of making sims, so I took about half of the Maxis premades in the sim bin and turned them into heads/teachers. The other half will become serfs. I knew early on that I didn't want to make 11 or 12 separate buildings for the schools. I had built a residential lot to serve as a university and finishing school in another medieval hood, so I used it as my base for these. Just adjusting them as needed for the Warwickshire rules. So if I ever show pictures, do not be surprised that all the schools look pretty much alike.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#902 Old 17th Jul 2015 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
Welcome! It's always nice to meet new simmers and hear about their stories and ideas. I hope you'll post some pics to let us see how things develop for you. One suggestion for Hawota, could she be a midwife? sounds like you could probably use one.

Thanks for all your help; I could've sworn I'd written back to you! I don't think Hawota would make a good midwife, she's an evil humanitarian and probably wouldn't care if her patients lived or died!! But I've already got a peasant midwife (with one of her teenage daughters as an apprentice) and plans for a Royal Midwife, though I haven't made her yet.

Hmmm ... isn't it good to buy cheap and sell high? If your materials cost equals your finished product cost, there is no markup. And your blacksmith doesn't get paid. What am I missing here? Maybe I don't understand the question. Looks to me like he could buy two pieces of ore for $50 and sell the bot for $720 and make a tidy little profit. Right?

Okay, reading it now, I see what you're saying and my question doesn't make much sense. I guess I was just thrown by the big gap in costs.

This has been a longtime dream of mine, yes. But, I've never really developed a whole system. For a while, I had some maxis garden vegetables that I designated as "wheat" or "barley" and had those sold to a brewer, or a winemaker, who then ran a pub, but that was about the size of it. With the new crafting tables over at PBK, I am laying in what for what is in store for us there, because wine and other liquors are on the list!

I'm loving all the stuff they're making over there (how do they do it?!)! Finally, my medieval sims don't have to grow tomatoes! I'm always looking forward to what they put out next!

All are at the father's class and station, i.e. noble, level 13. However, only the eldest son can inherit the title and the fief. If the father wants to purchase additional titles for his sons he may, or they may do so themselves when they come of age, earn the money, or whatever. But their title is stable, and taken from their father's class and station. The thing is--they want and need those titles because that is the best way to accrue royal favor points, through the holding of a fief. And royal favor means big benefits, i.e. power and influence at court.

Level 13, until she marries, at which point she will take her husband's class and station. Marry well, milady; marry well. Another reason it is good for the family to have royal favor.

Thanks for the answers! This could prove to be very interesting... hee hee!

I've got some more questions; I'm glad you don't mind answering them!

1. Okay, on page 9, about the Gentry: "May live in city or in country; if live in country, will have a country estate
o Country estates may have serfs to work the land; however, in such cases the fief must be nested within a larger fief overseen by a titled lord who is a noble (Titled Gentry (levels 8-9) may rent their lands, in the ratio of 1 head of household per plot square, with a limit of 24 (3 families of 8). Gentry may not hold indentured serfs."
I'm confused- it sounds like that the gentry can have a country estate, in which case there can be serfs to work the land, but they can't hold indentured serfs. Does this mean they can only have freemen?

2. With non-royal servants, I'm assuming there are less qualifications needed- like a tutor or governess might only need an education level of 20+ as opposed to 30+?

3. Under Fortune Behaviors and Outcomes, it looks like pay taxes is listed twice: "Pay Income Taxes On Time/Late" under "Render Unto Caesar", and "Pay Taxes On Time" under "Become a Burden To Society".

4. Townships... do they refer to the whole subhood, or the biggest fiefs in that subhood, or...?

5. I have some questions about business types. Would a baker be a craftsman trade (assuming the bread is an actual meal and not deco bread)? How about fishermen? And do merchant farmers have guilds?

Thanks so much for your time!

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Instructor
Original Poster
#903 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Macaroodle
I've got some more questions; I'm glad you don't mind answering them!

Always

1. Okay, on page 9, about the Gentry: "May live in city or in country; if live in country, will have a country estate
o Country estates may have serfs to work the land; however, in such cases the fief must be nested within a larger fief overseen by a titled lord who is a noble (Titled Gentry (levels 8-9) may rent their lands, in the ratio of 1 head of household per plot square, with a limit of 24 (3 families of 8). Gentry may not hold indentured serfs."
I'm confused- it sounds like that the gentry can have a country estate, in which case there can be serfs to work the land, but they can't hold indentured serfs. Does this mean they can only have freemen?

The Gentry can have a country estate, which may be worked by serfs--however, members of the Gentry may NOT sign Oaths of Indenture, so if there are to be serfs to work their lands, their fief must be nested within a larger fief held by a member of the peerage, i.e. levels 10+. They may rent their lands to freemen, yes--but this is not the main issue at stake here--which is simply that the Gentry may not sign Oaths of Indenture.

2. With non-royal servants, I'm assuming there are less qualifications needed- like a tutor or governess might only need an education level of 20+ as opposed to 30+?

There are various requirements given for the different classes under Table 39, "Faculty Guidelines." I think this should be on p.59 or thereabouts. Does that answer your question?

3. Under Fortune Behaviors and Outcomes, it looks like pay taxes is listed twice: "Pay Income Taxes On Time/Late" under "Render Unto Caesar", and "Pay Taxes On Time" under "Become a Burden To Society".

This is an oversight, and one of the many places that needs to be fixed. Use the figures under Render Unto Caesar--these are the ones that are updated, I believe. The other figures will be removed from the final version of 3.0.

4. Townships... do they refer to the whole subhood, or the biggest fiefs in that subhood, or...?

Townships are municipalities that exist inside fiefs--or they may be on royal lands, where there is no fiefholder--they do not refer to fiefs, but just to the boundaries of the towns. A fief may have multiple towns within it--this is really up to you and how you decide to lay out your kingdom.

5. I have some questions about business types. Would a baker be a craftsman trade (assuming the bread is an actual meal and not deco bread)? How about fishermen? And do merchant farmers have guilds?

I think it is your choice on this one--the Baker would most likely be a craftsman, yes. In my nh, fishermen are producers, not merchants, so they are usually serfs or peasants, but they could also sell their wares if they were bourgeoisie. It would be fine for merchant farmers to have a guild, yes, or they could join an existing guild of tradesman. Whatever works for you.

Thanks so much for your time!

No problem!
Field Researcher
#904 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 1:47 AM
The Gentry can have a country estate, which may be worked by serfs--however, members of the Gentry may NOT sign Oaths of Indenture, so if there are to be serfs to work their lands, their fief must be nested within a larger fief held by a member of the peerage, i.e. levels 10+. They may rent their lands to freemen, yes--but this is not the main issue at stake here--which is simply that the Gentry may not sign Oaths of Indenture.

Okay, it's all clear now! Thanks!

There are various requirements given for the different classes under Table 39, "Faculty Guidelines." I think this should be on p.59 or thereabouts. Does that answer your question?

Kind of, I just assumed that the qualifications to work for Earl So-and-So's family would be lesser than to work for the royal family.

This is an oversight, and one of the many places that needs to be fixed. Use the figures under Render Unto Caesar--these are the ones that are updated, I believe. The other figures will be removed from the final version of 3.0.

Okay, got it!

Townships are municipalities that exist inside fiefs--or they may be on royal lands, where there is no fiefholder--they do not refer to fiefs, but just to the boundaries of the towns. A fief may have multiple towns within it--this is really up to you and how you decide to lay out your kingdom.

Okay, thanks. I have several fiefs, so building up a big town will probably take some time!

I think it is your choice on this one--the Baker would most likely be a craftsman, yes. In my nh, fishermen are producers, not merchants, so they are usually serfs or peasants, but they could also sell their wares if they were bourgeoisie. It would be fine for merchant farmers to have a guild, yes, or they could join an existing guild of tradesman. Whatever works for you.
Makes sense to me. And again, thanks for all your help!

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Lab Assistant
#905 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 2:46 AM
I'm still enjoying this quite a bit. I do still have a couple of questions. In some of the qualifications for graduatio, teens have to write a novel. As far as I know teens can't write novels without mods, am I missing something?

Also, what qualifies as part-time employment?

Thanks, and thanks again for your hard work with this!
Instructor
Original Poster
#906 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LauriMizutani
I'm still enjoying this quite a bit. I do still have a couple of questions. In some of the qualifications for graduatio, teens have to write a novel. As far as I know teens can't write novels without mods, am I missing something?

Hi, LauriMizutani! Sorry if I missed this question earlier. I use MogHughson's Novel without a Computer hacked notebook which allows teens to write a novel.

Also, what qualifies as part-time employment?

Any teen/elder job would be part-time employment. You may also have custom jobs that allow sims to work fewer hours or for significantly reduced pay. It's up to you

Thanks, and thanks again for your hard work with this!

No problem! Glad you're having a good time Hope you'll post some pics!
Lab Assistant
#907 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 2:55 PM
Hi, LauriMizutani! Sorry if I missed this question earlier. I use MogHughson's Novel without a Computer hacked notebook which allows teens to write a novel.

Any teen/elder job would be part-time employment. You may also have custom jobs that allow sims to work fewer hours or for significantly reduced pay. It's up to you

No problem! Glad you're having a good time Hope you'll post some pics!

It's easy to miss things, no problems. I have the notebook, I don't use it as much as I used to because it has a tendency to glitch on me, but I'll probably use it again for this. I might be able to grab a pic or two. :D
Lab Assistant
#908 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 11:59 PM
I just came across this thread a couple of days ago (I am only recently returned to playing Sims 2 after a long time away) and am already fascinated by it. I've read the thread (all 37 pages, yes!) and have downloaded 3.3.4 Teaser 2, although I can't say I've managed to read that yet. I played a 'hood years ago which sort of fell somewhere between a Royal Kingdom Challenge and a Warwickshire challenge--it had more rules and structure than the basic RK, but much less than a Warwickshire. (The rules I used are listed here.)

I'm really tempted to give this a go, but my big hesitation is over the deaths. I played and blogged my Erlenstar Mountain 'hood for quite a while--it was definitely one of the most memorable and cherished games I ever played. However, for storytelling reasons, I killed off one of my major characters in a war. Having done so, I felt so bad I stopped playing the 'hood at all--I went back to his house, and his wife and little twin toddlers were crying over losing their father, and I felt like a murderer. I know this sounds really silly, of course, but there it is.

I'm contemplating starting a new neighborhood according to the rules I used for Erlenstar Mountain, and then gradually phasing in the elements of the Warwickshire challenge, to avoid having the same problem as soon as I have to start killing people off. It would be hugely different, of course, because of all the content which has been created since 2007--especially if I tried ACR, which I've never used. I just love the complexity and intricacy of the idea!

The Receptacle is dead; long live the Receptacle!
Lab Assistant
#909 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kmoore61
I'm really tempted to give this a go, but my big hesitation is over the deaths. I played and blogged my Erlenstar Mountain 'hood for quite a while--it was definitely one of the most memorable and cherished games I ever played. However, for storytelling reasons, I killed off one of my major characters in a war. Having done so, I felt so bad I stopped playing the 'hood at all--I went back to his house, and his wife and little twin toddlers were crying over losing their father, and I felt like a murderer. I know this sounds really silly, of course, but there it is.

I'm contemplating starting a new neighborhood according to the rules I used for Erlenstar Mountain, and then gradually phasing in the elements of the Warwickshire challenge, to avoid having the same problem as soon as I have to start killing people off. It would be hugely different, of course, because of all the content which has been created since 2007--especially if I tried ACR, which I've never used. I just love the complexity and intricacy of the idea!

First about the deaths, most of us don't kill many (if any) of our sims right away. We give them time to get some living in first (if nothing else hopefully pass on those genetics we worked so hard to get in CAS .) And honestly, if you're not quite ready to kill a sim (or deal with the emotional ramifications) don't. This is your game, you're supposed to have fun playing it. :D

Your idea about phasing in elements of Warwickshire makes sense. And honestly if you use ACR, without any form of birth control and try for baby always, eventually you'll be looking for an excuse to thin your hood numbers down. Also, consider More Realistic Sickness, then it was the germs that killed them not you!

Lastly though, welcome to the insanity, and I hope you share more of your joys and woes.
Instructor
#910 Old 3rd Aug 2015 at 10:05 AM
I'm back one more time (I hate the fact that I'm absent for so long and then I get back only for a couple of weeks or so). I had this new chapter written for quite some time but only now I managed to take the pictures for it. I'm quite pleased with the writing ^^" The pictures ... not so much.
And here it is! It's (again) about Alleken and her family, but this time her brother and sister-in-law appear too.

♕ Of life and living ♔
“Birth and death were easy. It was life that was hard.”

My salvation came five weeks later, in the form of a short message, delivered by the royal courier. I recognized the seal, though it was the first time I was seeing it, but I couldn't find any reason why the royal family would want to associate their name with a disgraced woman such as myself.
Read more...
Test Subject
#911 Old 5th Aug 2015 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady Scarlet
I'm back one more time (I hate the fact that I'm absent for so long and then I get back only for a couple of weeks or so). I had this new chapter written for quite some time but only now I managed to take the pictures for it. I'm quite pleased with the writing ^^" The pictures ... not so much.

I think you did a great job on your blog Lady Scarlet, I love the writing and adore your pictures :lovestruc , especially now I realize all the work you must have put in them.

Which reminds me: I don't know how many posts back I promised to share some of my own experiences playing Warwickshire Challenge. However, because I had a hard time making up my mind on the exact setting, story, and play style I was going for I had to wait with posting something.

Now then, I present you my blog: The end of an age (, the beginning of the dark ages that is).
And the first part of the first chapter in my Warwickshire challenge about the founding family and arguably nobles of the region known as Baldmund. Let's hope they don't die out too quickly and produce adventurous and ambitious offspring hahaha.
For a sneak peek (won't spoil much) I attached a picture that captures the vibe of Opstalda in winter.
Screenshots
Instructor
#912 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 3:52 PM
I finished building my hood in February, but when it was finished I was kind of burned out on it and so didn't actually start playing until this week. I'm having a lot of fun so far (and will soon have some site updates, including actual story! Prologues, but still, story!). I did manage to bump into a question about taxes, though.

As far as I understood, Nobles pretty much live off the taxes they collect on their land. So in the Duchy of Penderholms, where I have a Barony nested inside a Duchy, the Baron would collect taxes off the people living on his lands. He keeps 15% of that and...delivers the rest to the King, I'm thinking? The Duke collects taxes off the people living on all of his land and taxes the Baron as well, but not the people living on the Baron's land. He keeps 15 % of that and delivers the rest to the King. Am I correct so far?

Now, it's in the Duchy of Whitecomb where things get a little shaky for me. There's a Baronetcy nested inside the Duchy. A Baronet cannot have indentured serfs - they may live on and work his land, but they're indentured to the Duke. So does a Baronet live solely off the Rent free people pay to use his land or does he collect taxes off the people on his land like a Baron would? And if he collects taxes, do the serfs living on his land pay their income tax to him or to the Duke directly?

Of course, if I wasn't correct with how things work in the Duchy of Penderholms, then I am completely lost on how it works and any help is appreciated! It's not necessary knowledge for this playround, but the next one is the first day of the season and I plan to introduce income taxes then.
Instructor
#913 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 8:01 PM
Yes, yes, yes, it's here!!!!!! The very first update of my storyline! Come check out the Prologue Part 1: The Royal Court , and learn about Wyckeham, a Kingdom in Peril. Meet Knight-at-Arms Robert Kane and learn how Honor Bespeaks Worth. And make your acquaintance with Lady Susan and tread on The Path of Treason with her.
Instructor
Original Poster
#914 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 2:58 PM
Wow ... I am totally blown away by the awesome stories you all have posted. I feel so spoiled with a cup of coffee and three wonderful authors. I love how different everyone's neighborhoods and stories are, but how much each one captures the heart of the challenge. I have long thought that Warwickshire stories are the best, and these do nothing to dispel that belief from me.

Lady Scarlet, you know already how much I love Alleken, and now she has a sister in arms--Agnes is definitely someone I want to get to know better. I am also wondering if/when she will see her other children? I am curious about what has been happening with them ...

Wups--thank you for bringing us your first chapter. What a haunting, lyrical story. I am totally drawn in already. I always have a soft heart for a woman who speaks her mind, and Baldtrud is no exception. I like her already!

samantha_kathy: I have been waiting so long to get to see how you would set up your modernized version of the court and everything: I love it! King Winston certainly has his work cut out for him--the plot is set for some delicious intrigue with that Lady Susan, I can see she has her mind made up! I think it is really interesting that you've got it built into the storyline that the kingdom is being rebuilt, it gives you a lot of leeway to think about how you want to grow the neighborhood. Is this nh transitioning from the MCC? If so, it looks like it is a great strategy--it works well either way!

To answer your question about taxes:
Quote: Originally posted by samantha_kathy

As far as I understood, Nobles pretty much live off the taxes they collect on their land. So in the Duchy of Penderholms, where I have a Barony nested inside a Duchy, the Baron would collect taxes off the people living on his lands. He keeps 15% of that and...delivers the rest to the King, I'm thinking? The Duke collects taxes off the people living on all of his land and taxes the Baron as well, but not the people living on the Baron's land. He keeps 15 % of that and delivers the rest to the King. Am I correct so far?

Yes. That sounds right to me.

Quote: Originally posted by samantha_kathy
Now, it's in the Duchy of Whitecomb where things get a little shaky for me. There's a Baronetcy nested inside the Duchy. A Baronet cannot have indentured serfs - they may live on and work his land, but they're indentured to the Duke. So does a Baronet live solely off the Rent free people pay to use his land or does he collect taxes off the people on his land like a Baron would? And if he collects taxes, do the serfs living on his land pay their income tax to him or to the Duke directly?

The Baronet can certainly charge rents for anyone living on his lands; however, whether he collects taxes there would depend upon the population density of the baronetcy (does it contain a village or is it rural, for example). Is there an appointed tax collector for the duchy? If there is, then this official would collect the taxes, but each fiefholder would be granted the right to retain15% from the taxes collected on his lands. In other words, you don't have to be the appointed tax collector to also retain the 15% of the taxes collected--that is the right of the fiefholder, mainly to ensure that they have a margin of funds to afford the assets taxes that will be assessed on their lands (the crown's gonna get the money eventually, hehe). Also, the income taxes may come from any jobs held, in addition to indentured serfs, so if the renters are employed, taxes will be assessed on employment, or if there are merchants living there, then the taxes would be assessed on any profits made, and so forth. Am I even making sense here? I have rather a migraine today and I might just be blabbering ... ??

Overall, it sounds to me like you've got the right idea there. I am still in the throes of rebuilding and I've done quite a bit of backstory, knitting together families that were supposed to be related but weren't my first go-round, so I haven't been playing with taxes on yet. I am still in the 1580s with some families--like I said, building the background, not the foreground.
Instructor
#915 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:08 PM
Samantha_kathy: I have been waiting so long to get to see how you would set up your modernized version of the court and everything: I love it! King Winston certainly has his work cut out for him--the plot is set for some delicious intrigue with that Lady Susan, I can see she has her mind made up! I think it is really interesting that you've got it built into the storyline that the kingdom is being rebuilt, it gives you a lot of leeway to think about how you want to grow the neighborhood. Is this nh transitioning from the MCC? If so, it looks like it is a great strategy--it works well either way!

Yeah, the kingdom being rebuild was a deliberate element I put in there to give me more leeway. Everything that doesn't work yet/has to be set up was either destroyed in the war, halted during the war and the plague, or there aren't enough people to keep it going due to the plague and famine. Plus it gives immediate interest to the story, because everyone is struggling at some level.

It's a completely new neighborhood, not a transitioning one from the MCC. I build it especially for the Warwickshire challenge, but only the bare minimum of things needed. Which ended up being quite a lot, actually.

To answer your question about taxes:

Yes. That sounds right to me.

[snip]

Am I even making sense here? I have rather a migraine today and I might just be blabbering ... ??

Nope, you're making sense! Thanks for making it clear that I was thinking in the right direction. I'm going to slowly introduce taxes, starting with just the income tax. The rest will follow later on.

As for my story, I've put up all of the prologues now as well as the first chapter!

I already introduced The Prologue Part 1: The Royal Court to you in the last post. Now, I also have The Prologue Part 2: The Duchy of Penderholms. Come check it out and and learn about the Croombee household, where every member has its own set of problems and they’re all On the Brink. Meet Gavin Newson, a serf who dares to Dream a Bigger Dream. And stop by the Traveller’s Inn, where Trent Knows Best. Then hop on over to The Prologue Part 3: The Duchy of Whitecomb, nd learn about Garreth Patton, who will get intimately acquainted with the Bitter Roots of Education. Meet Wilbert Holtz, a trader who lost almost everything during the War, and whose life will be determined by Pride and Resentment. And follow Bobby Lewis’ journey through life as he tries to hold on to his motto ‘I Stand Alone’ while trying to learn the candle making trade.

Once you've read all three parts of the prologue, you're all up to date with the backstory and introduced to the storylines of Wyckeham. And with that, I proudly present the first real chapter: Chapter 1: Plans Are Made, in which the King gets busy making plans...

I know there aren't as many pictures as some of the stories written for this challenge, as I'm more of a writing person and not so much a picture taking person, but I tried to balance things out. Let me know what you think about the story, as I love feedback :lovestruc
Instructor
#916 Old 5th Nov 2015 at 9:09 PM
I proudly present to you all a new chapter of the Chronicles of Wyckeham! Chapter 2: Mission Impossible , in which Knight-at-Arms Robert Kane gets a new mission from the king...

As always, comments (here or on the bog) are much appreciated!

Happy reading!
Instructor
#917 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 2:34 PM
I've had a habit of starting neighborhoods, playing them for a bit, and then abandoning them and a little while ago I've thought long and hard about why that is. I’ve come to the conclusion that big neighborhoods (right from the start) are not for me. Too many families right at the beginning and I feel like there’s not a coherent tale. I also seem to like themed neighborhoods - I’m slowly but surely leaning towards more historical-ish fantasy neighborhoods that are entirely self-sufficient. No Maxis careers. No Maxis NPCs. No Maxis anything.

Now that I know what I like, I've put Wyckeham in the fridge. Wyckeham, because I wanted to play the Warwickshire challenge, needed to be set up fairly big in the first place. And while I love a lot of the Warwickshire aspects, I feel it’s too big right from the start. I truly understand now, after playing it some time, why it’s recommended to play it with an established hood.

But, that doesn't mean I've given up on Warwickshire! Instead, I have started a smaller, more manageable neighborhood that uses a Warwickshire-like playstyle. It's called Wildehollow, and will have one over-arching storyline. Right now there are 10 families, divided over 3 households, that are making a trip to a new, unexplored land in a wagon train in 1807. Mind you, that's Simish 1807, which means that history doesn't exactly line up with human history. I'm slowly introducing Warwickshire rules when needed, sometimes simplified because it's more logical in this part of the story. For instance, health rolls and the effects of childbirth/miscarriage have been added, and some of the simplest rules for courtship are also implemented (ages, grooms not being enemies with the father of the bride), while adding a few of my own that will serve right now. Since there's no health care system or education system set up yet, I've made my own rules for midwife/healer ranks that will do until education has been established. Right now it's experience based. I think this slow growing hood where things will have to be set up organically (due to them being settlers) will work better than setting everything up in advance and then playing a huge hood.

For those interested in reading about the group's journey to Wildehollow, I am posting new parts almost daily on my simblr under the tag Wildehollow (for all Wildehollow related posts) and Wildehollow Journey (for just the storyline of this chapter). http://samantha-kathy.tumblr.com/tagged/wildehollow or http://samantha-kathy.tumblr.com/ta...ehollow-journey Since I'm not very far into the story yet, there's not too much catching up you'd have to do. And please, do let me know what you think of Wildehollow! I love feedback :lovestruc
Instructor
Original Poster
#918 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 3:52 AM Last edited by M3g7e : 5th Feb 2016 at 9:24 PM.
Hi, Samantha_kathy! I am just delurking to say a quick hello and let you know that I will definitely check out your new nh tomorrow! Sorry for my long bouts of quiet ... I'm still here!

Okay, all caught up, and gotta say, I love it! Good adaptation of the challenge to suit a smaller hood just starting out. And what an intriguing narrative style. I really like the frame tale with the voice of the Mother goddess. That works so well--and is really captivating, even more so than having one of the sims narrate, even if s/he were the storykeeper of the tribe. I would love to read more and sincerely hope you'll post updates here.
Test Subject
#919 Old 27th Feb 2016 at 8:12 PM Last edited by Yvi-sama : 27th Feb 2016 at 10:35 PM.
I´m still here too

I didn't get far the last... nine(?) months, but that's what a mommy's-life is like
Lab Assistant
#920 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 1:54 PM
So I've come back to this challenge
I just made my royal family last night and today I plan to make my nobles and the like.
Does anyone mind if I post my story-to-be here? (It's modern day, as opposed to medieval).
Instructor
Original Poster
#921 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 4:40 PM
Hi, all--good to see some familiar folks round here
Meginmd, I'd love to see your stories--sounds great!
Test Subject
#922 Old 1st Mar 2016 at 1:52 PM
I'm still here too :P, playing the same challenge as well, just not getting round to updating my blog because thesis writing takes priority :P
Instructor
Original Poster
#923 Old 3rd Mar 2016 at 2:58 PM
Hi, Wups--totes get that! I have not abandoned writing or playing, but each seems to take a back seat to grading and rl concerns. It's a lifelong commitment, so it's still there ... ticking away.
Test Subject
#924 Old 13th May 2016 at 9:28 PM
Yeah, finally I'm able to play again :-) Only about 2-4 hours per week, but that is still pretty awesome!

And here I am right back asking questions ;-)

1) If the heiress of a family gets married (because of her status) and surprisingly gets a younger brother, she'll lose her title, right?
2) Let's say this heiress wants to make sure her (step-)mother (who is pregnant) wont provide her father with a son, how would she force an abortion?
2a) I was thinking about poison only the mother-to-be is "only" suppoused to have a miscarriage and not die... how do I handle this?
2b) "An unfortunate accident" might do the trick as well, but again the question of how many lost Healthpoints would lead to a miscarriage?
3) Which rules regarding the investigation aply? And will there be an investigation without an Investigator ?

Different topic

Can a father/husband sent a female to the convent without her approval? And would he be able to prevent his wife/sister/daughter from joining the convent? (if not, than a woman would be able to blackmail her husband, because there are no legimate heirs without her being home, correct? Would he be able to remarry if she takes on a higher position inside the convent? --> it says "all positions above nun are lifetimepositions", does that mean a woman above nun can never leave the convent?)
Do adult (of age) males have the right to leave the monastry without the family head's permission?

Thank you for your time!
Field Researcher
#925 Old 14th May 2016 at 12:53 PM
http://www.drugs.com/npp/pennyroyal.html
Poisoning her stepmother in this way would definitely kill the baby, and maybe kill the mother, as well, if she's not careful.
Other methods involve beating the mother (definitely not subtle), or direct access to the uterus (again, not subtle, but if she could arrange that the mother be drugged complacent, then afterwards it could be construed that the mother purposefully sought out the abortion).

If the baby is born deformed, then he/she can't become heir in your game? (And too deformed and they might simply die from weak health.) If that is the case, she might want to think about poisoning the mother in a different way, if she wants to hurt the baby but not the mother. Of course, the heiress may not consider this, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable might advise this to her?

I'm a young adult in poor health, trying to heal enough to complete my goals.
This is the song that never ends ~ It goes on and on my friends ~
my first ToT Challenge (which is actually indefinitely hiatus, I'm in a different TOT hood now)
Page 37 of 44