Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#501 Old 11th Sep 2016 at 6:48 AM Last edited by ZombiePanda21 : 11th Sep 2016 at 7:39 AM.
I know the thread hasn't had a reply in 9 months. I don't know if its no longer being supported but im having some trouble. I cannot no matter how much i try get the university world to open. It says the file is packed or something. I'm able to open the other worlds without an issue but i cannot get University to open. What am i doing wrong? Do you think it is because i have a sim in university? I followed the first guide and i just can't get it open. Did anyone else have an issue like this?

Edit- I have edited lots within the world in game, not sure if that makes a difference or not. That is why i wanted to edit the world in CAW. The grass in the lots no longer match the grass in the world. Looks extremely weird and i don't like it. Wanted to changed the grass in most of the worlds so it doesn't look so odd.

Second Edit- I found a site that has the worlds in CAW format so that is working. Thank you for the thread! Could not figure this stuff out without it
Advertisement
Test Subject
#502 Old 26th May 2018 at 8:56 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I just got back into S3.

I'm pretty desperate to edit my Bridgeport game. I have tried both methods and CAW just tells me it can't work with a packed file. Can anyone help me?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#503 Old 26th May 2018 at 10:24 PM
@baumerrt Does your world file contain UNKN 0x0498DA7E and UNKN 0x0477BD6A?
Lab Assistant
#504 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 7:39 AM
The "Original Method" does not work. I have two versions of "Sims University" world; one is the default, the other is a custom one to replace it. I am trying to open them in CAW to figure out which one is the original so that I can put it back in the game. Here is what I did, which, last I checked, is EXACTLY what the "Original Method" said to do!

I open CAW, make a new world using "LargeFlatMap 300" with a Max Height of 100 (default) and "Lush" terrain (default), then saved it as "Test.world" I open s3pe, then click "File->Open" then "Test.world". I then do "Resource->Import->From .package" and choose "Sims University.world", check "Compress" and "Use Resource Names", then click "Replace Duplicates", then Import. I click "No" for autosave after every file, then OK. Once imported, I go find and delete "WPID 0xF609FD60" and "UNKN 0x296A6258". I then click "File->Save" and it is saved as "Test.world", replacing the one I had originally made. I then open CAW back up, click "File->Open" and click "Test.world". I get an error saying "Unable to load file. 'C:\Users\...\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds]Test.world': Cannot load a Packed File (0) in The Sims 3 Create A World Tool - Beta"
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#505 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 12:12 PM
@bobgrey1997 Try the second method. If you are just trying to identify which world is the original and which is modified, you should be able to tell from the file properties (modification dates), and also file size.
Lab Assistant
#506 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 10:17 PM
I don't know how large the original was. Also, one was "modified" on July 6 2016 and the other in January 2013. I didn't even have my computer until December 2016...

Those dates are wrong.

Either way, I got it figured out. I simply removed both and reinstalled the University expansion.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#507 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bobgrey1997
I don't know how large the original was. Also, one was "modified" on July 6 2016 and the other in January 2013.

Yes, the modification date would have been when the game was published. You could have looked on the disc to see the size of the original, if you have a disc install.
Test Subject
#508 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 2:18 PM
Which methods have been confirmed to be ok? I downloaded Sunset Valley from this webpage: https://cawster.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/sunset-valley/.
I want to edit this world and save it something as Sunset Valley 2.0, I don't want it to replace the original Sunset Valley.
So can I just open the .world file in CAW and start editing and then save it under a different name or do I have do change anything else?

Many thanks in advance.
Scholar
#509 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ula97
Which methods have been confirmed to be ok? I downloaded Sunset Valley from this webpage: https://cawster.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/sunset-valley/.
I want to edit this world and save it something as Sunset Valley 2.0, I don't want it to replace the original Sunset Valley.
So can I just open the .world file in CAW and start editing and then save it under a different name or do I have do change anything else?

Many thanks in advance.

I don't know if the world ID number (which is what the game actually reads, rather than the name) for the cawster files have already been changed or not. To be safe, I'd suggest changing not only the name but also the world ID too. This is a quick and easy tutorial that works for me: http://ts3cc.canadian-forum.com/t60...a-different-i-d. Good luck with your project!
Test Subject
#510 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 9:10 AM
I was trying to edit one of the custom world I downloaded. This world was created back in 2012. It always crashes after a centain amount of time so I wanted to check if the world is ok with CAW. I followed the original way and convert the installed world to a CAW file. I could open it with CAW but as soon as I zoom out from the first view, this CAW crashes. I really love this world and I really want to work on this one.. can anybody help me??
Test Subject
#511 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kkaizer
I was trying to edit one of the custom world I downloaded. This world was created back in 2012. It always crashes after a centain amount of time so I wanted to check if the world is ok with CAW. I followed the original way and convert the installed world to a CAW file. I could open it with CAW but as soon as I zoom out from the first view, this CAW crashes. I really love this world and I really want to work on this one.. can anybody help me??

Ok. I have tried the same method with other worlds and it worked fine so I guess this world is the problem, not my CAW itself... But I can't figure it out why...
I'm such a newbie so I can't really figure it out myself... I can send this *.world file if any of you want to take a look at it... I can open this world but can't do anything after that...
I read somewhere that the world objects should not be overlapped. I attached the picture here. Hope it works. You can see that there's a wall object in between two long lots that have a wall. I think the creator overlap this object with these "wall" lots to connect the wall. Will this be it??

Btw, It's "Gyeongbok Palace" by Hanogi
Screenshots
Scholar
#512 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kkaizer
Ok. I have tried the same method with other worlds and it worked fine so I guess this world is the problem, not my CAW itself... But I can't figure it out why...
I'm such a newbie so I can't really figure it out myself... I can send this *.world file if any of you want to take a look at it... I can open this world but can't do anything after that...
I read somewhere that the world objects should not be overlapped. I attached the picture here. Hope it works. You can see that there's a wall object in between two long lots that have a wall. I think the creator overlap this object with these "wall" lots to connect the wall. Will this be it??

Btw, It's "Gyeongbok Palace" by Hanogi

I'm not sure the world is your problem or it wouldn't have played from the start. I sent you a reply to the PM you sent me with some tips for cleaning up your game, I think this could be CC or mod related, it happens to me at times too and everyone else. If the world was the issue it would always have been an issue. I just used S3rc on a save file for a world and it helped. Like I said in my PM though, always, always save a copy of anything you try a change on. Good luck
Test Subject
#513 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 6:21 PM
Thanks for your reply. I started with the new “the sims 3” folder so it was not CCs or mods. Also, the world is cc free world. It was indeed those long and narrow sized wall lots (yellow squared lots in the picture up in my previous post) overlapping with CAW wall objects(castle wall part in the pic in between lots). I could go into “edit in game” without moving the camera right after I load the world in CAW. There, I deleted all those narrow and long sized wall lots and castle wall objects too. I saved it and then loaded the world in CAW and no crashes anymore. I was seeking help in another page dor editing chinese city wall objects but I had to do it all byself and I made it. I edited the city wall object and made into straight single layer city wall object without corner parts.
Then, I replaced those wall lots with wall objects which I edited and it worked fine so far. I’m playing in that world and no crashes.

So, I don’t know if it was overlapping or maybe that long-sized wall lot has it’s own issue but that city wall part was definitely the issue. Maybe, this game has hard time taking care of too many long sized lots because the creator who created this world did a lot of copy and paste those lots to make huge city wall to surround this big palace (in the second pic in my previous post up there, you can see the wall parts in the left upper corner of the picture) .
Test Subject
#514 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 10:24 AM Last edited by karvanoppa : 4th Apr 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Hey guys, not sure if it's appropriate to post in this thread but here we go: I have been having a series of problems with a world I'm trying to edit. So far I have probably spent more time googling stuff rather than doing actual editing. Now I can't seem to get past my final problem, which is the world file finally showing up in game and loading just fine, but no save games are sticking and eventually finding that my world file corrupts.

So far this troublesome journey has included all of this:
  • I used Inkantator's method to open a custom world and I installed few CAW textures from Nilxis.
  • Exporting initially failed despite having edited the world description and a picture, so I moved my files to desktop and exporting worked.
  • Installed the world through launcher, world didn't show up in game so I used Simsample's method from CAW and Installing Worlds problems topic.
  • World shows up in the list, but while trying to load into the world I got "serious error has occured while loading".
  • Unlocked files, made sure file names match, moved DCCache files temporarily out while exporting the world (Because I'm still a complete noob, I had my mods folder still in game).
  • World opens fine, thinking I have finally gotten everything to work so I added extra custom sea colour INI. Pretty sure no save files were sticking before I edited INI file.
  • After editing INI I can say for sure no save files stick, there are no .bad files in the saves folders. Moved my old saves out anyway, still no save sticks. Tried loading untouched EA premade world, saving works fine so it's just a problem with my edited world.
  • Possibly far too late at this point since the usual culprit and answer to whatever problem is CC... I checked with Delphy's dashboard and behold, my world file is corrupt!
  • Uninstall the world for bazillionth time and removed all related files, took out DCCache and mods folder, cleared DCbackup, loaded CAW and removed all existing lots in EIG, exported and the world file comes out as corrupt.

During this time CAW and EIG has never crashed. Any ideas why my edit is getting corrupted and what should I do next?

Edit: Welp. Cleaning the global layer fixed my corruption issue, now my world also shows up on the menu even when I have only installed it through the launcher rather than having to use the alternative installation method that I had to use before. Saves are thankfully sticking too. I will leave this message here incase someone else is having any similar trouble.
Scholar
#515 Old 21st Dec 2019 at 12:05 AM
Hope it's OK to necro this. I'm back to try and get a world back into CAW again and I've lost all track of how to do this. None of the methods work for me. I'm trying to open a world I made myself. S3PE gives me this error and I can't remember why it does it and what to do about it. Is there anyone around who could help me again?

Could not open package Miway Village.world.
Expected magic tag 'DBPF'. Found 'DBPP'.

One problem could be that I can't remember if I made my world as a large or medium map but I've tried making two test worlds of both and none work.

I deleted the first one to try and get notifications on this, sorry
Top Secret Researcher
#516 Old 21st Dec 2019 at 9:18 AM
Scholar
#517 Old 21st Dec 2019 at 9:56 AM Last edited by fluttereyes : 21st Dec 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
Maybe have a look at your thread here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=620016

Thank you, I knew that was there and couldn't find it last night. I searched this thread for it and didn't realise it was a different thread.

I now have my world opened in 5 minutes, it was the S3rc bit I forgot about. Now I really must save all this on a flash drive when I'm done this time, I had changed PC again and lost some files in the move, same village too.
Test Subject
#518 Old 6th Feb 2022 at 12:25 AM
I know this thread hasn't been active in apparently over two years, and i apologize for "waking it up" so to speak, but just in case anyone else out there is a lifelong sims 3 addict and is trying CAW for the first time and running into the same issue I was, I wanted to post this somewhere because nowhere in any guide or forum post that i read did it point this out to me, and it was the one and only thing keeping me from being able to complete the process for exporting a world.

Follow the guides, definitely, but if you're getting "export world failed" after trying every single flipping suggestion everyone has made here (cleaning the caches, moving the mods folder, putting it on your desktop, saving it under a new name, cleaning global layers, deleting all the sims, edit in game, rebuild routing data, save a new name, etc etc) please make sure that the name in your global settings is COMPLETELY the same as the save name of your world. I saw someone say the name had to be the same, and i mistakenly thought just a certain part needed to match. i was wrong.

if you go to edit the global layer and add a name and it pops up with "CatalogObjects/Name:_____" like mine were all doing, it is not just the part after Name: it is the whooooole thing that needs to match your .world name.

Yes, i named the world pfftfinally because i have been doing this for days and days and days and i have probably 50+ worlds saved in my attempts to just export ONE. and now i finally saw a screencap somewhere of someone's named layer and realized "hey wait, i haven't seen that yet, let me try it" and TADAH it works on all the worlds i've been trying to export.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#519 Old 6th Feb 2022 at 12:41 AM
Thanks for the information @Havockitten I've added a note in post #2.
Top Secret Researcher
#520 Old 6th Feb 2022 at 9:46 AM
pfftfinally is a very valid name and very relatable I'm not sure I understand the issue though, @Havockitten. Where exactly did you change the name? It seems to me that the mistake lies somewhere else.

During the export/import of the world you want to edit you don't change the name at all, just hit "save". Only after that initial version you will go and edit the name and the rest of the world to your liking.

The save name is rather free to chose, just avoid special characters. You can chose any name while "saving as". Also, when you edit the world description, you can add any name you want. The name shown in CAW for the top node ("tryingagain" in the first screenshot, "pfftfinally" in the last one) is assigned by the tool itself. Don't try to change that manually! It will be assigned by CAW after you save (and maybe reload the world, I don't remember exactly).

Boldly snatching your pic to show what I mean. That name highlighted is given by CAW. It depends on the name you save your world under. It is updated by the tool itself after you save (and maybe reload the world).

You change the world name as shown in game in the main menu by editing the world description in that pop-up dialogue. Here too, you can assign any name you want. It doesn't have to match the save name.
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#521 Old 6th Feb 2022 at 12:20 PM
I think the issue was that the name recerred to an internal location (CatalogObjects/name) rather thank a string. This is because the EA worlds reference files in the DCCache or game filesfor the strings.
Field Researcher
#522 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 4:15 PM
I found this post yesterday as I am for the first time learning how to use CAW. I found a world I love, the creator has long since stopped working on it, and I'd like to update it for all expansion packs, post Pets as well as change some of the lots and what not because I like lots of small lots. Anyway, I started with the first method of opening a packed world and when I opened this world in S3Pe, I get the two files mentioned to be removed, but those two and about 50 or so other files have a Strike through them. What does this mean? should I worry about these files? I could post a screenshot if needed.

Also I cannot open my new file in EIG at all. Either from CAW or from a method I found here. CAW gives me a bunch of failure notices, and EIG.bat starts loading the world before the game CTDs. I'm going to try again today, but if anyone has any tips about dealing with this or wants to see a screenshot of my fail messages when trying to open the world in EIG via CAW let me know.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#523 Old 8th Jul 2022 at 4:37 PM
The strikethroughs are most likely items of CC or store stuff that the creator used but you don't have installed, but I'd have to see a screenshot to be sure.
If you save the game the references should be removed from the world, and will not show next time. This is likely why the game won't load in EIG; possibly it will work after you've saved and reloaded the world in CAW.
Field Researcher
#524 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The strikethroughs are most likely items of CC or store stuff that the creator used but you don't have installed, but I'd have to see a screenshot to be sure.
If you save the game the references should be removed from the world, and will not show next time. This is likely why the game won't load in EIG; possibly it will work after you've saved and reloaded the world in CAW.

this is what the strikethrough items look like.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#525 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 3:01 PM
Oh okay- I think I misunderstood! I was thinking you meant strikethroughs in CAW. The strikethrough resources in S3PE are resources where you have added a duplicate; the duplicates will be discarded when you save. If you are starting from a blank world and adding the resources of a world you want to unpack, it's normal to have these.
Page 21 of 23