Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#14951 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 4:07 AM
I'm glad to hear you were able to save your Summerland save. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your Ouroboros save. 1.69 is truly a plague upon simmerkind.

Anyway, it's still Friday the 13th where I am and I just happen to have a spooooooky chapter for you all:

1.22. Ouija

Advertisement
Scholar
#14952 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 10:19 AM
Hi, I am joining the update train with 4,3
Field Researcher
#14953 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 10:21 AM
I'm curious, what does 1.69 actually do? I didn't patch up to it because I heard it caused a lot of problems, but what specifically does it do that makes it so horrible?
Instructor
#14954 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 10:19 PM
There were a few things 1.69 did that really annoyed me:

1. I had to go through Origin to open the game. Maybe I'm a dummy and I had the settings wrong, but because of that I couldn't play the game when I had no internet connection because even though Origin had something about signing in offline, it wouldn't let me do so. I could live with everything else on this list, but this particular problem infuriated me and made me rave like a madwoman whenever I was having internet problems.
2. Origin slowed everything down A LOT. My computer doesn't have the best specs, but it has no problems running TS3 and multitasking but it just performed horribly whenever Origin was open.
3. I couldn't bypass TS3 launcher at all.
4. 1.69 added the ability to select which EPs and SPs were active when you ran the game. At random times, all of my EPs and SPs would be deselected, and I wouldn't realize until I loaded the game and got to the main menu (and the loading time was ridiculous).
5. This is random and may not have been 1.69, but I could only open the game, run it, and exit it about two times before I had to restart my computer (ETA: What I mean to say is that the game just would not open a third time if I had already quit out a couple of times--it was really weird). This was really annoying whenever I was making poses or something, but I'm not sure if that was 1.69 or something else. It stopped happening when I switched to Steam though, but I also removed old saves and some CC when I reinstalled the games.

I'm so afraid that the things I listed are just user error and someone is going to provide reasonable solutions to all of them, but that was my experience. XD

Top Secret Researcher
#14955 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 10:22 PM
The only purpose of 1.69 as far as I'm aware was to chain the game to Origin so that you had to have Origin running just to load the game. For those who have played since prior to late 2012, Origin wasn't a requirement. It was the last "eff you" from EA to us.

The bigger issue for me was that having the game load through Origin broke Any Game Starter, which I use to have separate cc folders for multiple saves and has kinda become integral for me. So much so that I spent over $300 buying everything on disks and searching for a pre-2012 disk version of the base game, just so I can keep playing how I want to -_-
Space Pony
#14956 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
The only purpose of 1.69 as far as I'm aware was to chain the game to Origin so that you had to have Origin running just to load the game. For those who have played since prior to late 2012, Origin wasn't a requirement. It was the last "eff you" from EA to us.

The bigger issue for me was that having the game load through Origin broke Any Game Starter, which I use to have separate cc folders for multiple saves and has kinda become integral for me. So much so that I spent over $300 buying everything on disks and searching for a pre-2012 disk version of the base game, just so I can keep playing how I want to -_-

I think it auto updated to 1.69 for me as well. And as a user of AGS, I was not impressed. I made myself get used to it though, although, I hate when the launder will randomly deselect all my eps, so I spend a long time opening the game, just to exit and reselect them. If I close the game too many times, I can't start it again without restarting my computer, which is a complete drag.

I think I still have my original copy of the disk, and I think I may do the same, find the eps that I don't have, and buy them so I can avoid Origin, but until then, I'm gonna suffer. I can't go without my sims. Though, yikes, $300?!

My Sims 4 Random Legacy can be found here.
My simblr .
Top Secret Researcher
#14957 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kadience
I think it auto updated to 1.69 for me as well. And as a user of AGS, I was not impressed. I made myself get used to it though, although, I hate when the launder will randomly deselect all my eps, so I spend a long time opening the game, just to exit and reselect them. If I close the game too many times, I can't start it again without restarting my computer, which is a complete drag.

I think I still have my original copy of the disk, and I think I may do the same, find the eps that I don't have, and buy them so I can avoid Origin, but until then, I'm gonna suffer. I can't go without my sims. Though, yikes, $300?!

Well it was actually a little more Some EPs and SPs I bought additional copies of if I wasn't sure how long the shipping would take, because yes, I was really that anxious to have them ASAP. I installed from the first received disk and returned the last to arrive. I got as many as I could from Amazon, and they're great about returns so it wasn't a huge hassle.

Generations I had to buy a second of because the first one I ordered shows as delivered last week but never arrived; unfortunately that one was through Ebay, so it hasn't been an easy resolution. I just bought it from another seller, and will have to make a claim through Ebay for the first one at the end of their mandatory waiting period.

And then the base game, I bought multiple copies of because I had a feeling it was going to be harder to find the 2009 version I wanted. Which proved true. I bought 5 copies total: 2 sellers sent me combo disks of the base game and an EP, which I've heard can't be patched with the super patch, but at any rate were made after 2012 and not what I needed. So those got returned. Another seller sent me the after 2012 version even though their pictures were of the 2009 version, so that got returned as well. I got 2 copies of the 2009 disk, one the collector's edition and one the gamestop preorder exclusive. Since those are harder to find and you definitely need a 2009 disk, I'm keeping the extra one.

The two to really watch for are Generations and Outdoor Living Stuff. They were the most expensive and harder to find. High End Loft was a little pricy and harder to find, but less so than Generations and Outdoor Living Stuff. Another tip, if you're thinking of buying up the disks, is make sure the base game and World Adventures are the same region version. Anything after WA can be whatever regional version, but those two have to match.
Space Pony
#14958 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
Well it was actually a little more Some EPs and SPs I bought additional copies of if I wasn't sure how long the shipping would take, because yes, I was really that anxious to have them ASAP. I installed from the first received disk and returned the last to arrive. I got as many as I could from Amazon, and they're great about returns so it wasn't a huge hassle.

Generations I had to buy a second of because the first one I ordered shows as delivered last week but never arrived; unfortunately that one was through Ebay, so it hasn't been an easy resolution. I just bought it from another seller, and will have to make a claim through Ebay for the first one at the end of their mandatory waiting period.

And then the base game, I bought multiple copies of because I had a feeling it was going to be harder to find the 2009 version I wanted. Which proved true. I bought 5 copies total: 2 sellers sent me combo disks of the base game and an EP, which I've heard can't be patched with the super patch, but at any rate were made after 2012 and not what I needed. So those got returned. Another seller sent me the after 2012 version even though their pictures were of the 2009 version, so that got returned as well. I got 2 copies of the 2009 disk, one the collector's edition and one the gamestop preorder exclusive. Since those are harder to find and you definitely need a 2009 disk, I'm keeping the extra one.

The two to really watch for are Generations and Outdoor Living Stuff. They were the most expensive and harder to find. High End Loft was a little pricy and harder to find, but less so than Generations and Outdoor Living Stuff. Another tip, if you're thinking of buying up the disks, is make sure the base game and World Adventures are the same region version. Anything after WA can be whatever regional version, but those two have to match.

I had to go look at my collection to see which ones I have already. I have the release copy of the base game, and world adventures. Then the rest I had bought later at various times. Though I am missing a couple expansions, and I only own one stuff pack. And I swear somewhere back in my mother's basement I have another expansion that I just left there when I moved out. I should check that next time I'm in that area.

I wish you luck with Ebay, they can be rather frustrating some days.

My simblr .
Scholar
Original Poster
#14959 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 9:25 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#14960 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kadience
I had to go look at my collection to see which ones I have already. I have the release copy of the base game, and world adventures. Then the rest I had bought later at various times. Though I am missing a couple expansions, and I only own one stuff pack. And I swear somewhere back in my mother's basement I have another expansion that I just left there when I moved out. I should check that next time I'm in that area.

I wish you luck with Ebay, they can be rather frustrating some days.

Yeah it kinda sucks going through Ebay. Amazon would've made me wait 2 days tops before either sending a replacement or refunding me. Ebay I can't even make a claim about the missing item until tomorrow, almost 2 weeks later, and I have no idea if I'll get refunded or not. Which sucks, because that was the most expensive EP. I don't know what happened. If it had been delivered to a neighbor, they would've brought it to me by now. And the seller gets my money regardless, since it says it was delivered, so they lifted zero fingers to help me resolve it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14961 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 3:49 PM
Wow that sounds painful. I've had only a few ebay transactions. Now I feel very lucky they've all gone smoothly.

My boyfriend has much worse luck than me. Everything from the seller shipping a bootleg product that looks nothing like what was pictured, to being shipped the entirely wrong thing...

Another short chapter... Goldbeard RLC Chapter 91: Barry and the Obvious Lies
Lab Assistant
#14962 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 10:53 PM
Hi everyone, lol it's been a long time. I've missed reading all your stories, it's great to see that a lot of you are still continuing your legacies! I'm back to read them again, but I don't know if I'll be doing my own legacy or not. Sims 3 became unplayable for me a long time ago, so I've been only playing Sims 4, which is not a very interesting game to blog about, honestly. But I recently got a new computer so maybe I will try loading up sims 3 again some day. For now, I'm looking forward to (eventually) catching up with everyones stories

Call me Mud, if you like.
Instructor
#14963 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 3:32 AM Last edited by owl_face : 19th Jan 2017 at 4:49 AM.
Welcome back, Mud!

I have a new chapter:
1.23. Meet Cute

EDIT: Okay I have a question. Luna's career is writer and she currently is supposed to make 18,955 smackeroos each week in royalties. She keeps getting shorted each week though. This time she was only given 11k, and the week before that she wasn't even given a royalty. So...should I use cheats to make up that 7k or do I just chalk it up to a cruel sim universe and move on with my life? Please provide moral guidance.

Scholar
Original Poster
#14964 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by owl_face
Welcome back, Mud!

I have a new chapter:
1.23. Meet Cute

EDIT: Okay I have a question. Luna's career is writer and she currently is supposed to make 18,955 smackeroos each week in royalties. She keeps getting shorted each week though. This time she was only given 11k, and the week before that she wasn't even given a royalty. So...should I use cheats to make up that 7k or do I just chalk it up to a cruel sim universe and move on with my life? Please provide moral guidance.

Hmm... I'd say it's up to you. Correcting a glitch is not cheating.
Instructor
#14965 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 3:24 AM
That's all I needed to hear. It feels cheat-y, but I'm pretty annoyed that Luna's job is not working correctly. The Bees have a porch to furnish, for goodness' sake!

Scholar
#14966 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 8:21 AM
Hi, I have another update, 4.4
Scholar
Original Poster
#14967 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 8:12 PM
Me too. Last child arrives.

Goldbeard RLC Chapter 92: !@#%^&*
Space Pony
#14968 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 5:13 PM
I have enough pictures for the next three chapters. So I'm hoping that after work I won't be too tired to work on writing them out. I meant to yesterday, but I got home and crashed on the couch.

My simblr .
Lab Assistant
#14969 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 7:06 PM
Update time! Checking up on the family members who didn't go to university

Gen 7 Ch 2: Because You're Blue
Lab Assistant
#14970 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 10:44 PM
Hi, new here!
I reinstalled Sims 3 after a long time and started a Random Legacy, and I have a question. My founder had her children quite late and has just died of old age 4 days before the oldest kid would grow up to YA (the second kid is adopted and one day younger). So they can live alone but the gen 1 heir died before the gen 2 heir could grow up and officially take over. I also rolled Perfect Children for gen 1 and while the two kids did achieve everything required before mom died, technically the generation goal wasn't really completed since she missed her kids' last birthday... So, would you say I lost the challenge or not?

I know it's all about fun and I could just keep playing but I'm a hopeless perfectionist and want to do it correctly, ha!

Also I'm happy to see people are still blogging Sims 3 and am looking forward to reading your blogs!
Scholar
Original Poster
#14971 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 11:00 PM
Welcome, Nocriel!

Technically, yes, you have failed the challenge. But that's the sort of thing we just giggle about before moving on. No one would blame you for continuing to play.
Space Pony
#14972 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 7:11 PM
New chapter. I did mean to do this last night. But I ended up playing some Town of Salem first, then I didn't feel like doing anything other than reading. So between cleaning this morning, I did managed to type it all out. Honestly, the most time consuming part was making Cemre's letter.

2.5 - Time Passes

My simblr .
Instructor
#14973 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 8:17 PM
Welcome, Nocriel! I agree with Becky--I would probably continue with the challenge.

I have an update:
1.24. The French Defense

Lab Assistant
#14974 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 4:43 AM
Thanks for the welcomes and replies!
I decided to start over, this way I'll also have screenshots from the very beginning if I want to start blogging (which is likely because reading yours made me want to start one too lol)! Yet another question though... Is it allowed to increase the household limit for pets with StoryProgression? The rules don't say anything about that and my sim finds it hard to limit herself to 6 cats
Instructor
#14975 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 4:33 PM
Neat! Blogging is so much fun imo. It keeps me accountable, because I'd probably lose interest in the rules if I didn't blog. XD

Hmm...I'm not very rule savvy, but I would say it's fine as long as the pets aren't being used to bring in any income or anything. Maybe someone else can clarify this, though?

Page 599 of 676