Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:21 PM
Default Am I Ugly? Trend
Yeah, so I was searching things online. Well, I was going too with the Yahoo search engine, when I stumbled on this article:

Am I Ugly?

By the way if you read the comments on some of those videos, it will break your heart. I am in tears because of what people are saying to some of those girls, and guys, even. This is a fucked up world we are living in. And some those girls and guys don't need that, nor do they deserve it.

This right here broke my heart. Not because of the fact some people are there actually cared about the girls, but for the fact of what people say of others. It literally broke my heart, to know that jerks out there can be so mind my language fucking cruel. People, those cruel people, don't deserve the spit if they were on fire.

Sorry, but its true. I know what it is like to wake up in the morning staring in the mirror, asking myself "Why am I so ugly?"

I know a lot girls do it, and I know a lot of guys do it. But for people to just bash on them because they aren't pretty in their eyes. Lets put it down this. The some of the most ugliest people you will meet are people that look like super models, why? Because they know that they are hot, and they have an ego the size of the universe. Some of those people have such an awful personality, its horrible.

You see, I was bullied in high school, and I still am. Why? Because I am not that popular cheerleader. That hot girl, guys drool over. I am not that. All I have is my personality. And that gets me by with some people. But others. They stare at me in disgust. I know what they are thinking. Because I've heard it before.

So to my question, what advice would you give these girls?

My advice would be this:

Don't let the world see you as a book that they will never read. Be who you are and show them that you are gorgeous. Because you are.

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:49 PM
I don't think the people who say things like that are worth your ire. It's mean, but I don't think your reaction is proportionate. People are mean sometimes. It doesn't excuse it, but sometimes turning a blind eye to that sort of thing is the best way to get rid of it. A lot of the people who respond to these videos with cruel comments are probably trolls. And the #1 rule on the internet is 'don't feed the troll'.

I'm not sure whether you're expressing your own insecurities, or merely expressing past insecurities, but, in my experience, it doesn't matter what kind of looks or personality you've got, so long as you're honest about what you've got. I'm not a supermodel, but I've started seeing someone who finds me attractive. I found him because I didn't try to put myself out there as something I'm not. I let him know what kind of person I am, and he let me know what kind of person he is, and so each of us knew what we were getting involved in. I don't think there's anything wrong with people pursuing a partner for looks if that's what they want, but I know I don't have 'em, so I'm up front about what I do have.

A lot of people are way too focused on looks and think they'll never find a partner unless they're gorgeous. For the record, most of the girls in that clip were very pretty, but there should be a stronger focus not on telling every girl that she's beautiful, but on letting girls know that they don't have to meet society's standards of beautiful to find someone; and if they don't want a partner, they shouldn't have to define their worth around their lack of a romantic partner, either.

Maybe some of the people making harsh comment were expressing their honest opinions. Maybe those people really don't think that those girls are pretty. I don't think people should be strung up for expressing their opinions. I think those girls need to learn that some people they meet won't find them attractive, but that doesn't mean that they're worthless. Many teenagers are going through an emotionally tumultuous, vulnerable state, but sometimes harsh truths are necessary, even if they hurt.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:54 PM
I really didn't say ALL people are like that, I said some. And frankly that is the truth some are just cruel and unusual.

And as for the girls, yes they are all beautiful. But the one girl's replies...Oh my god, it made me cry. Some of those comments were freaking horrible. Some said that Apollo XIII could have landed on her head. And people with low self esteem that just makes things much worse. To read those things, to go and look at themselves in the mirror realizing that they are being truthful, but when I read those comments, I was crying. I had a woman ask me what was wrong, and I told her. And she shook her head and said that is just wrong, and hurtful.

No one deserves those hurtful words, no one. And for people to watch these girls or guys spill how they feel about themselves, and someone to just bark at them. Its like, how can they do that to another person. But when it comes down to it, some girls and guys, can't see themselves as beautiful. They look in the mirror and cry because they hear what people say about them, and some of them are from their own damn family. Its hard, when it struck through the heart by a family member, and then it gets worse when its a peer.

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Scholar
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:02 PM Last edited by Oaktree : 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:17 PM.
I understand why it's upsetting, but I think it's important that people learn sooner or later that beauty isn't everything. Yes, if you're truly gorgeous, you can go pretty far on that alone, but most people can't. It's not 'fair', but it's reality. What I'm saying is that those girls don't necessarily need to receive comforting words telling them that they're beautiful as much as they need to realize that being beautiful isn't the be-all-end-all of life. It'd be better for them to focus on things like "I'm a caring person who helps out in my community", or "I'm intelligent and motivated". Things like that. I know I'm not beautiful, and I don't cry about it. Because I base my self-esteem on other factors.

Many of these girls have been trained to base their self-esteem on how beautiful they are. I think our society should be gravitating away from that standard. Society isn't going to do a whole lot to wean those girls off of that ideology, but it's not impossible to learn to appreciate yourself for your other qualities. And, while it's not a nice way to do it, maybe people telling them they're not beautiful will help them shift focus to other things. Granted, teenagers are often a little mentally unstable, so it's not the best methodology, but I think it's always better for a person to learn to develop a think skin against the insults of people that don't matter in their life.

EDIT: I think I need to state my position a little more clearly. I'm not prescribing that girls be told they're ugly to try to turn them away from basing their self-esteem in looks. I'm simply saying that there's a potential silver-lining, in that, if they rationally consider the responses, they may realize that absolutely everyone isn't going to think they're pretty, no matter how pretty they are. I agree that it's mean to tell people they're ugly, and that being mean is an objectionable thing, but I'm playing devil's advocate. These girls are overly focused on looks, and they're leaving themselves open to abuse. Whenever you expose yourself to a large group of people, you can expect at least a handful to be assholes. You just have to learn to live with the fact that there are assholes in the world.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:06 PM
you know this is a really sad topic, and its dismaying, at least to me that these people feel the need to post these videos for confirmation that they are beautiful. It's even more dismaying that some people feel its ok to post degrading and demeaning comments to make them feel worse about themselves.

Why do people feel the need to do this? why do people feel the need to put others down? I wasn't the popular girl in school either, and I've been battling with my weight my whole life. Everyone knows that society hates fat people, and I've been called a lot of things, ugly being the least of it. but I'm learning to love myself fat and all.

My advice to those guys and girls are:
Don't rely on society to tell you you're beautiful. They're not going to, most likely they're just going to put you down. Love yourself with your imperfections, no one is perfect. Do things that make you feel confident and enjoy life. You only live once.
Instructor
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:26 PM
The reality is, as you age, everyone kind of loses their looks. Once a person matures hopefully they will realize that such things as appearence don't matter quite so much.
Alchemist
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by live2draw
Why do people feel the need to do this? why do people feel the need to put others down?

for once, this sort of thing has a simple answer.

its because deep down, a lot of people are ugly. serene on the outside, but rotten to the core. the more you look around, the more youll see it...people dont practice what they preach about treating others with kindness and respect. they smile and gesture and then go home and bully a kid theyve never met into attempting suicide, safe from the judgments of those who matter in their world behind their virtual anonymity.
people place so much on appearances (their own even moreso than others) that its come to the point where it seems like whats really deep down in there, doesnt matter, to most.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 12:03 AM
Actually "hot" does not mean "beautiful". If you want to be the hot girl that all the guys drool over, all you need to do is dress and behave in a sexually provocative way.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 2:44 AM
What I don't get, is how people think "sexy" is everything. You hang around girls that claim that they are sexy, those are usually the girls, that have the worst WORST personality. Its all about EGO with everyone, or with some. People want to be better than others, and some just sit there and take it, because they don't know what to do.

And those girls, didn't deserve to see those freaking comments! They were horrible! I couldn't believe my eyes. Talk about people that way, and just dissing on them, and not showing a fucking heart! They are those people that don't have a backbone! They make fun of others to just to make themselves feel better. And that is why teens and even young adults, as well as adults. That is why people kill themselves, they have this low self esteem, then they get smacked down.

Its not about, whether these girls or guys feel beautiful or not, its how they picture themselves, or how others picture them. So, what do they do? They ask complete strangers online, to see what they say. Why? Because they can't see their face, when they tell them how they feel. Those kind of reactions...It hurts.

P.S I am sorry for dropping the F Bomb

Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:37 AM
It does sound like nasty business. I won't check out the videos because this isn't the type of thing that appeals to me. What's particularly sad is that the people who put the videos up in the first place had their egos wrapped up in their appearances and really opened themselves up to attack by complete strangers. The whole thing is incredibly shallow on either end. Further, I find I don't agree with what is often called "sexy" or "beautiful" by magazines or the entertainment industry. Even my ideas of those things have changed as I've aged. For me, beauty isn't always communicated in photos or in videos. There's a bigger piece that is communicated in person.

That old adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is true. I've noticed that my perceptions of another's attractiveness changes as I get to know him or her. This became clear to me in adolescence when a boy I had a thing for proved to be a first class jerk. Suddenly, he wasn't so cute anymore.

The other old adage of "beauty is as beauty does" is also quite true. Looks really aren't everything. I'm not sure how much of anything looks are to begin with anyway. There are those without any physical beauty who communicate charm in such a way as to seem very attractive. I remember a story a friend told me of how her grandparents met. They were at a party. Her grandfather was so taken by her grandmother that he left the party and came back with a gift of flowers for her. I've seen photos of her grandmother when she was younger. She was not a looker by any stretch of the imagination, but I understand she was the most lovely person to be around. She was very sweet and kind. She had 'something' that drew people to her.

I think about some of the very happily married couples I know where one or both of partners isn't really all that attractive physically. Their spouses seem very satisfied with them, just the same. If looks were what mattered to love, then this couldn't be.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:15 PM
I am going to throw this out there. Do you know why women and guys act like this? Why they see themselves as these ugly people? Or why they listen to others about their appearance? One word:

Media

These teens all the way to adults, all they see is. Super Models or these shows of hot women and men going to get a hot guy or hot woman (Bachelor and Bachelorette) It wasn't until miss Barbie came out, that every girl in the world had the fashion known as "The Eating Disorder" or other words known as "Anorexia or Bulimia. Because every damn girl had to look like Barbie the huge icon, the role model to young girls.

Media makes a big impact on people. Teens watch those shows like "The Next Top Super Model" and they ask themselves, this very important question:

"Why can't I look like that?"

There are people out there that make fun of a woman or a man who is bald, and not even asking why. Some have a Thyroid Problem or they have Cancer, or its in their genetics to lose their hair at a young age. But this generation, has to be the worse for bullying. Because when I was in high school, I didn't see Youtube Videos popping up asking:

"Am I Ugly?"

No, no way. When I was in high school, there wasn't a huge suicide rate, and yes, sadly, I am in this generation where kids just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. Its like that saying:

"If the boot fits."

For these bullies, that is all they know. They are the ones with the truly shitty self esteem. I have said it once, and I will say it again, they just love putting someone else down, just to make themselves feel that much better. And the worse part? Some of these teachers and these parents are not getting involved. And then they ask:

"Why is my sweet girl or guy becoming this monster?"

Well, get your head out of your ass, and see whats going on around you! But hate to say it...Media has a huge thing in a young person growth. Because teens see these actors, actresses, models, and blah blah as their role models. But the truth? They aren't. They should choose better role models. And it is just recently, that actors and actresses are helping the kids who are being bullied.

And I believe that...I could be wrong, but it was because of this one kid's video on Youtube, about him being gay, and being bullied and how he wanted to end his life. But wouldn't give up, because the bully would win. And I believe it was Lady Gaga that began to help people that are bullied and others got involved.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:18 PM
"The prettiest face can have the ugliest soul."

I live by that. Just because someone looks good on the outside, doesn't mean its all great on the inside. And vice versa. Your outside looks are just "window dressing", after you open your mouth and say something, I start the real assessment(if you will).

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:51 PM
I'm going to do some mild devil's advocating again. That pretty people aren't always good people and ugly people aren't always bad has become the standard view of society, at least on an intellectual level, even if not an emotional level. I think that it is important to also remember that pretty people aren't always bad and ugly people aren't always good. Some people reverse the stereotype and like to think that pretty people are selfish, terrible people, and ugly people are kind souls who are misunderstood. The truth is, you shouldn't judge a person's personality either positively or negatively based on appearances.
Inventor
#14 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 6:37 AM
Personality will probably always be secondary. Let's face it, our natural, primary instinct is to find a mate, copulate and procreate, and it's only natural for the reasonably attractive to be attracted to someone equally attractive so they can create attractive, successful babies to keep the generations going for as long as possible.

When you get down to it, though, personality is the usual deciding factor in whether a relationship between two people can work (sexual or otherwise). So in my opinion, if people are open-minded about who they share their companionship with, they are probably going to find someone they are compatible with a lot quicker than if they were to select those with only mere physical attraction who might not possess a great, logical personality.

But what is attractive? I'm sure no two people are alike in what they find beauty in.
For me, I find personal hygiene attractive because it shows someone cares about their appearance and their health which shows they maintain some level of confidence. Confidence I think, is more attractive than physical beauty, and it's usually the confident people who find companionship a lot more frequently than those who, like myself, are shy and spend most of their time inside and who solely rely on sci-fi conventions, lol.

The same goes for ugliness. I find people who think everything is hopeless and so make little effort, ugly. I find someone with greasy hair, an oily face and smelly clothes, ugly.

It's easy to sit back and complain to the world about how the world treats you unfairly, it's also easy to be affected by the cruel things people sometimes say, I know I've done it. I left school because of bullying, because I didn't want to share the same environment with people who thought it was socially acceptable to physically and mentally abuse someone who wears glasses, or who is a little quiet. I regret leaving school every damn day of my life and I hate myself more than those people who drove me out, for even thinking I wasn't worth it. But at least nowadays I allow myself to be equal. I don't feel sorry for myself if someone is a bit mean to me, instead I see their own reflected personality. Their ugly personality and am glad I don't possess the same ' qualities'.
Banned
#15 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 8:34 PM
Everyone's ugly.

That's my philosophy.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 11:50 PM
There is no such thing as ugly.
That said, initial reaction of people is based on looks but I think that people are attracted to people who physically look like themselves, or people resemble themselves in some way.
Like an identifying factor, if that makes sense.
You get the exception of course but from years of people watching I think it is true.
After the initial attraction you get into things like interests and compatibility.
For me personality goes a long way, also I have a thing for brains
Alchemist
#17 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
That old adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is true.

very true. there is not a single person on this earth who can appeal to every other person in the world. its important to remember that not everyone is going to like how you look, but that that's not necessarily such a bad thing.

happiness and beauty dont necessarily go hand-in-hand, either. how valuable is the attention of strangers when those strangers dont actually care about you?

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 2:20 AM
Am I ugly?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never (falling anvil drops on head)
Test Subject
#19 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:14 AM
I think that how good you look is dependent on your attitude. If you think you're beautiful, your beautiful. On the contrary, if you think you're ugly, you're ugly.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:15 AM
But the problem, is not ALL girls nor guys think that way. Take for instance this:

For a very long time people said ONLY girls were anorexic. But then they saw that guys were doing it as well. EVERYONE suffers from self esteem one way or another. Whether they are getting low grades, then they think of themselves of stupid. Someone who finds themselves less appealing than others, consider themselves ugly. The list goes on. Just people only want to see "The Ugly" if that is the case. Then being stupid is ugly.

@opiumgirl: You are so very right, no one is ugly. Everyone is beautiful in their very own unique way. I think my writing is beautiful, therefore, I feel that I'm beautiful. (Shh, yes, I came to this...Way late. Shh) Because I know that when I write I am putting my heart out there, and for that...I know that my heart is beautiful, because I have a golden heart or a heart of gold (I've been told this).

@VerDeTerre: Your so very right hun. But sometimes the eye could be very cruel. And sadly, its true. That is what we call f***ed back stabbers.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:26 AM
You know what my advice would be to those girls? Don't put up videos on UTube asking if you are beautiful. It's the internet, FCOL. Trollish answers are 100% guaranteed.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:49 AM
I got it really bad in school. Other girls used to whistle at me and say "Here Fritzie" as if I were a dog. I was told countless times I got beat with the ugly stick.

My husband seems to like how I look but I don't. I just turned 39 and I can't dwell on that period of my life too much or I get depressed and angry.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:50 AM
Am I very ugly?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never (falling anvil drops on head)
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:51 AM
Am I so ugly that I treat babies insanely like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQn9...feature=related

(Actually I never would, only her)

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
I got it really bad in school. Other girls used to whistle at me and say "Here Fritzie" as if I were a dog. I was told countless times I got beat with the ugly stick.

My husband seems to like how I look but I don't. I just turned 39 and I can't dwell on that period of my life too much or I get depressed and angry.

I am so sorry that you had it rough, hun. And to have those people do that...That's just wrong. I am really sorry that you had to go through that, hun.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
You know what my advice would be to those girls? Don't put up videos on UTube asking if you are beautiful. It's the internet, FCOL. Trollish answers are 100% guaranteed.

But some of those girls, are asking people that they can not see. Why? So that way they can't see their reaction. For instance, people who find someone ugly, what do they do? They stare, and do not stop. And for those girls, to have that reaction EVERY DAY, they don't want to see it anymore.

Page 1 of 2