Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 4:03 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 12th Feb 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Default [SOLVED] Indoor shadows (*not* dropshadows): how are they generated/defined/referenced?
ETA: Mystery solved, see post by HugeLunatic! It is indeed the LITE resource. Thanks for your input =).

In all of the objects I've cloned so far, the dynamic indoor shadows (again, *not* the static dropshadows – the ones that are moving relative to light sources indoors) seem to reference the ones of the original object – does anyone know how this works? Since I don't know how/where those shadows are defined in the first place, it's hard to poke around in the object since I don't know what I'm looking for. There are no meshes or images in the objects that I haven't looked at, hence why I think they must be somehow pointing to somewhere else in the game files.

Below are two pics to show what kind of shadows I'm talking about. The table is cloned from another one-tile table, so that shadow suits it fine – but the crib is cloned from the expensive crib-with-paravent, and there the difference is obvious. (I'm aware I could fix it simply by recloning from the cheap crib .. but I'd prefer to understand it, so that I can use whichever shadow I want).

Sunshadows and static floorshadows in both objects work fine, it's only the "dynamic" indoor shadows that are a mystery to me. Both objects are made by cloning them with S3OC with "default resources", then exporting all meshes and images in s3pe, changing meshes and images, reimporting them, fixing in s3oc. My game files are 1.8.25.
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 10:59 PM
I am not sure, but maybe the Two Pass Cloning can help you with that.
Something about default resources being used...
Info about it is in the S3OC in the Help files.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 12:38 AM
Try replacing the LITE resource with the one from the cheap crib? I believe I did that with one of my table plates and it worked well.
Alchemist
#4 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Both objects are made by cloning them with S3OC with "default resources", then exporting all meshes and images in s3pe, changing meshes and images, reimporting them, fixing in s3oc. My game files are 1.8.25.

The latest version of the ObjTool fixes an issue where the bounding box for the object was not updated with the new boundaries when recompiled. It is very likely that is used in the computation of those dynamic shadows.

To effect the fix, just get the new tool and recompile your project files, and replace the MLOD and MODL chunks in your package with the new ones.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 10:22 AM
BabaYaga: thank you. Duh, I just fiddled with LITE resources myself .. could really have thought of that >.<. That sounds like the most promising lead.

Wes: I'll update next time I have to recompile the thing. Thank you!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 12:25 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 12th Feb 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
The latest version of the ObjTool fixes an issue where the bounding box for the object was not updated with the new boundaries when recompiled. It is very likely that is used in the computation of those dynamic shadows.

To effect the fix, just get the new tool and recompile your project files, and replace the MLOD and MODL chunks in your package with the new ones.

When repompiling the MODL I get this error:

I can't compare between new and old version of objtool, because I overwrote the one I had. I haven't had this error before. The UV map of the low res mesh has changed, but not very much (I remapped the high res, so I had to change the texture, so I had to adapt the mapping of the low res mesh .. but basically that just meant moving a few parts around, I didn't unwrap again or anything).

Recompiling the MLOD gives me no errors, but doesn't fix the shadow either. Neither does changing the LITE or pointing the VPXY at the LITE of the other crib. -- Ignore me. Apparently it *does* work by replacing the LITE, since HL got it to work (see post below) … I must have messed it up somehow.

(I'm nuking the various caches plus the _objects cache of the world I'm testing in every time before testing, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a leftover.)
Screenshots

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 8:44 PM
I'm working on a 1 tile version of this crib, and I was able to get the LITE resource replaced and to show the wallshadow of the cheap crib. Now whether this is appropriate for my object, eh, not sure since it is a bit wider than my mesh.

I cloned the cheap crib with the box for numbering unchecked. I exported the LITE resource, then in my new package I right clicked replace, and browsed to the previously exported LITE resource.

Alchemist
#8 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 11:15 PM
HL if you have a second would you mind explaining what the LITE resource is?

Once having edited it as you have is it possible to adjust it in any way to fit the object you've edited more closely? Is the LITE resource related in any way to the MLOD with shadow?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 11:33 PM
HL – that's how I *thought* it must work, since that's how my doorfixes work too. Glad to see it indeed does! One only has to do it right .. I must have messed up somewhere when I tried it, so disregard my "doesn't work" post above =). Will try again with more coffee or something. Thank you!

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 12:51 AM
Honestly I don't have any good explanation as to what the LITE resource is. But it has a specific resource name differentiation between the cheap and expensive crib, with different instance numbers. The size of each one is drastically different. So, maybe there is a box type or other mesh inside? Dunno. I would have thought it built anything off the mesh itself, but maybe the LITE resource has yet another mesh inside it?

plasticbox that crib just didn't like you I guess Seriously though, sometimes I get mixed results when using the replace feature. Usually just when I think I know what I'm doing is when it does the unexpected. And I only tried it in my smallen-ated version because BabaYaga mentioned it.