Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 7:48 PM Last edited by eulogy1337 : 22nd Jan 2015 at 8:23 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Into the Future
Default Game crashes, ACCESS_VIOLATION - tried a lot already (including DEP)
I have tried everything in the Crashing Checklist and Game Problems, and even formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows 7 and Sims 3. I am having the same issue every time. I am using the DVD-installed version, not Origin or Steam.

The game launches (the launcher crashes sometimes, too, although I usually bypass it by running TS3w.exe), I can play for less than an hour, and it crashes. Here is my Crash Log Analyzer exported log:

Code:
          Processor Name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E6700  @ 3.20GHz
  Processor Architecture: AMD64
      Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1 GiB)
             Antiviruses: 

Games Installed: The Sims™ 3 (1.67.2.024001), The Sims™ 3 High-End Loft Stuff (3.13.1.011031), The Sims™ 3 Ambitions (4.10.1.011031), The Sims™ 3 Late Night (6.5.1.011031), The Sims™ 3 Generations (8.0.152.011001), The Sims™ 3 Supernatural (15.0.135.018001), The Sims™ 3 Seasons (16.0.136.019001), The Sims™ 3 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff (17.0.77.020001), The Sims™ 3 University Life (18.0.126.021001), The Sims™ 3 Into the Future (21.0.150.024001)
 Custom Content: Yes (2 found)

[UNKNOWN] 1/22/2015 1:44:12 PM
     OS Version: 6.1.7601
       TS3 Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe
    TS3 Version: 0.2.0.209
  Installed RAM: 4.00 GiB
    TS3 Free VM: 2.22 GiB / 4.00 GiB
     Crash Type: ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x863b0f8f
  Crash Address: 0x008b4260 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe":0x0001:0x004b3260

[UNKNOWN] 1/22/2015 2:29:57 PM
     OS Version: 6.1.7601
       TS3 Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe
    TS3 Version: 0.2.0.209
  Installed RAM: 4.00 GiB
    TS3 Free VM: 2.22 GiB / 4.00 GiB
     Crash Type: ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00ea8ff0
  Crash Address: 0x00e9a719 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe":0x0001:0x00a99719

Before I ran some patches Crash Log Analyzer said some of my games were outdated. Before that it said to do DEP tweaks. Now that I've done all that it's unknown.

I also have the full crash log xcpt file if it's needed.

I do have only one piece of custom content and that is to try and fix this issue (it doesn't seem to have an effect); NRaas ErrorTrap. It crashes either way though.

Any idea what else I can do?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 10:09 PM
Access violation means a program is trying to access more memory (RAM) then is available to the program. The first three things that come to mind: too many background programs running at the same time, corrupt install of DirectX, drivers need to be updated. Good luck.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuney
Access violation means a program is trying to access more memory (RAM) then is available to the program. The first three things that come to mind: too many background programs running at the same time, corrupt install of DirectX, drivers need to be updated. Good luck.

Thanks for your response. I was watching my RAM usage on windows task manager and TS3W.exe didn't use more than 2.5 gb of my 4gb, and I had around 1gb available when it crashed. I have the most up-to-date Nvidia drivers, and I'm trying now to actually downgrade to see if maybe an update screwed it up.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 9:29 AM
To OP: Can you upload the .xcpt crash log somewhere? Mega or MediaFire or DropBox?

In the meanwhile, I suggest downloading the latest version of MemTest86+, burn it to a disc, and boot from that disc to ensure that this issue is not caused by a memory module going south...

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pepoluan
To OP: Can you upload the .xcpt crash log somewhere? Mega or MediaFire or DropBox?

In the meanwhile, I suggest downloading the latest version of MemTest86+, burn it to a disc, and boot from that disc to ensure that this issue is not caused by a memory module going south...

I've actually already done the memtest86+, RAM came back clear, 0 errors.

Here's an xcpt file: https://mega.co.nz/#!KgljALYR!nLqs4...Z0yhbzhhKFn95mI
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hi,

I agree with the above person, it is usually memory related. However, not always.

1) Can you tell us what world you are playing?
2) Can you post your deviceconfig (from your sims user directory) here in the spoiler tag?

3) Have you tried running a clean game?
a) remove all CC/mods
b) delete your cache
c) start a brand new game with an EA world
d) Play for a while and see if it crashes.

4) Also, there's a game chooser you can dl here. It lets you run specific Expansion, so you can test if it is one of the expansions that is causing this.

5) When you checked your memory usage, did you also check how many processes are running? It may not necessarily just mean you ran out of memory, as often it is because your shared memory is conflicting with another process.

6) How much free HDD space do you have?

1. Sunset Valley
2. I will edit later when I'm home
3. Yes, same error
4. I will edit later when I'm home
5. Number of processes shouldn't matter
6. It's a fresh Windows install, a few hundred GB free
Field Researcher
#9 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 6:36 AM
@pepoluan

Windows on X86 with 4gb RAM, increase userva? I'm fairly certain, but I've only dealt with a couple of issues like this. Need a consult.

That might work. I'm a bit concerned that the write is to 0x00ea8ff0, which is a "low" address in the application memory space.

Usually, not enough memory either produces a "high" address (starting with 0x6 or 0x7) or "null" address (0x00000000, because when the program requests memory from the OS, the request fails and the OS returns 0x00000000). This looks more like a bug in one of the EPs rather than an outright insufficient memory problem.

The OP also mentioned an access violation writing to 0x863b0f8f. If "userva" tuning has not been performed, this address indicates a serious problem; addresses beginning 0x8 through 0xf, with "userva" set to standard, belongs to the OS. An attempt at writing to these addresses *will* result in access violation errors.

Of course, these all assumes the OP is using a 32-bit Windows instead of a 64-bit Windows.

My suggestion will be to perform a complete uninstall + cleanup (of registry, leftover files, etc), and do a one-by-one install, testing for crashes after each install.

(Or attaching a Windows Debugger... but good ones cost a lot of $$$s, so I totally don't recommend this measure just to make TS3 work).

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 11:45 PM
I love TS3 (I really do). It's where I got my degree in computer science. There is a program here on MTS by FordGT90Concept that is a shortcut for analyzing crash reports from TS3: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=416883. Maybe it will help. You said your OS is Windows 7. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Did you try disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)? If you have a 32 bit version of Windows 7, did you enable LAA (large address aware)? Finally, here is a link for the any game launcher that nitromon suggests. If one of your EPs has a corrupt installation, I am not sure whether this mod will keep the EPs that aren't launched from affecting your game. You may want to uninstall EPs one at a time, clear caches and registry, and testing after each uninstall. Or you can bite the bullet and do a complete uninstall, reinstall, testing after each addition, as pepoluan suggests. Again, good luck.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 12:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pepoluan
That might work. I'm a bit concerned that the write is to 0x00ea8ff0, which is a "low" address in the application memory space.

Usually, not enough memory either produces a "high" address (starting with 0x6 or 0x7) or "null" address (0x00000000, because when the program requests memory from the OS, the request fails and the OS returns 0x00000000). This looks more like a bug in one of the EPs rather than an outright insufficient memory problem.

The OP also mentioned an access violation writing to 0x863b0f8f. If "userva" tuning has not been performed, this address indicates a serious problem; addresses beginning 0x8 through 0xf, with "userva" set to standard, belongs to the OS. An attempt at writing to these addresses *will* result in access violation errors.

Of course, these all assumes the OP is using a 32-bit Windows instead of a 64-bit Windows.

My suggestion will be to perform a complete uninstall + cleanup (of registry, leftover files, etc), and do a one-by-one install, testing for crashes after each install.

(Or attaching a Windows Debugger... but good ones cost a lot of $$$s, so I totally don't recommend this measure just to make TS3 work).

Sorry, yes I have a 64 bit OS. Will do the fresh install soon and report back. Do I need to worry about the userva thing?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 8:24 PM
Hi,

Please give us your deviceconfig first.

Can't really figure out what's going on until we see what Sims 3 is using. You may not need to re-install anything.

Sure, here is my deviceconfig.log:
Field Researcher
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2015 at 1:01 AM
I'm really scratching my head here...

Things I can think of:

1. Check for updated drivers, not just for the VGA Card, but for everything on your computer, including but not limited to: chipset drivers, sound drivers, storage/harddisk drivers, wifi drivers, etc. Basically, if there's an update from your computer's manufacturer, install it.

2. Check for updated firmware for your devices. Hard disk/SSD, BIOS/Motherboard, Network card, etc.

3. Check for updates for Windows. Install them all.

4. If you're using an antivirus, ensure it's updated. Or, temporarily change to a different antivirus. I personally prefer Avast, it has never given me troubles.

I inadvertently listed the above in decreasing order of tediousness, so you might want to start from the bottom.

Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 8:42 AM
Same

I had the same problem yesterday while exiting the game. I can't even figure out what caused the problem. As clear as I can remember, I was playing in Riverview (Newbie Family) and when I exited the game, the screen turned gray and a popup message appeared saying "Sims 3 has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution..." and stuff like that. I have all my Sims 3 games on DEP and as far as I know, that has absolutely nothing to do with non genuine Windows and that watermark on a black screen that says "This copy of Windows is not genuine". Read the generated log on my folder, and saw that it was an Access Violation error. I absolutely have no clue what that means and I don't think if I have anything troublesome in my game that caused this. All I can say is that my game had to crash since April (because of error 12 back in April that caused my Roaring Heights game to crash) and so I didn't even know what to do.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 12th Dec 2016 at 3:44 PM
It would be helpful if you could post your system specs. Notices such as Sims 3 has stopped working and Error 12 are generally due to not having enough memory available for the game; but not always. Also helpful, how much RAM, HD space and Patch level.

Re the DEP settings: somewhere around Patch 1.63 and 1.67 DEP was already disabled for S3 by default. You might want to check to make sure it is set at: "Use for essential Windows Programs and Services only."
The setting can be checked when in game by accessing Task Manager, Processes Tab. It should show Disabled in the Data Execution Prevention Column. If you do not see that column go up to the View Option and within the Select Columns option you can add the column.

In the meantime see if some of the suggestions on this page helps you while waiting for more responses:
Error Code Info On This Page.
Links for Help Available Here At MTS