Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:13 AM Last edited by EvilMcNastySim2015 : 12th Feb 2016 at 12:57 PM.
So after all your help I got the Sims 2 running, The Sims 3 is much better, just not for me.
Okay I am only running the base game unmodded at the moment and I have to say I am enjoying the Sims 2 a lot more then the Sims 3 despite the lack of an open world or real jobs. Please also note that these are the highly subjective and personal thoughts of someone who is a worthless waste of genetic material and who couldn't get The sims 3 up and running, yet it is still clearly a much better game. This is just why I am grateful to all of you for helping me get the game that works for an idiot like me running.

The reason is not just that it loads a lot faster on my piece of crap system that is run by an idiot, it's that on a personal level I find the turn ons and turn offs system to be a lot more rewarding to play with once I got use to the clunky UI. However with the open world gone this game is a pile of garbage for anyone with half a brain, however since I am a mistake who should have never been allowed to live in the first place, it works better for me. Again over all The Sims 3 is a much better game but in my personal case dealing with the Sims on a single lot works out better. However this will never be the case for anyone who has enough brains that they should have been allowed to live in the first place and isn't a manic depressive.

The sims Seem a lot smarter in this one too. I have yet to see a Sims get stuck in this game or lose their way when walking to the bathroom in their own house, and there are little touches like if one Sims is trying to use the dishwasher at the same time another sim is they either wait their turn or they use the sink, they don't just stand around and throw a fit and then leave the dishes on the ground. The game play comes from setting up their lives and getting to the next goal, not stepping in and solving problems that come from them being too stupid to follow your commands. For the first time since getting the Sims 3 I feel like I am playing a game and not fighting it. The reason why I just tortured my Sims on The Sims 3 is because I could never get them to follow my commands well enough to get to a goal so the worst was always going to happen so I figured I may as well make it happen. In the Sims 2 it is a complete 180, when i tell the game to do something it does it. I am in control and it doesn't crash my system.

I think I will only be using the Sims 3 when i want to torture a sim from now on because for everything else the Sims 2 just does things so much better. I don't know why but I feel like the A.I programing just got screwed up in the Sims 3 because so much of the focus went to the open world and that hurt the over all game play. I don't mean to bash the Sims 3 on a Sims 3 message board it's just after you were all so helpful I just thought I would let you know how it turned out for me, and it turned out that I find the bare bones game of The Sims 2 to be much deeper and more rewarding then The Sims 3 with all of it's expansion pack and store content installed. I am not a programer so I don't know why they couldn't just take the A.I programing form The Sim 2 and stick it into the open world of The Sims 3 when they made that game but I wish they had found a way because that would be a perfect game if you ask me. Anyone else feel this way?

This is of course all just my personal view point and I am one of the biggest idiots on the planet when it comes to computer programs. So much so that I could not get the great Sims 3 running smoothly. I am sorry I upset so many people, that was not my intent. it's just for this easily stressed out moron who has a worthless machine, one game in the series is working better then the others.

Over all The Sims 3 is the best game ever made, I am just too stupid to use it right and that is on me not the game, and I am sorry I upset so many people. I shouldn't have said what I did and I am sorry.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:30 AM
I love Sims 2 and may be playing it again some day, but...you're going to find that routing tantrums, passing out and peeing themselves, spacing out and refusing to engage, etc., are all part of the Sims 2 experience too!

I'd love to combine the best of both, myself.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:57 AM
Perhaps OP you would like to come post over on the Sims 2 board, we can always do with more. Sims 2 sims can be really stupid as well lol. Most of us who play sims 2 do so for the sims themselves.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#4 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:51 PM
Your mileage may vary. The crimes you mentioned, I have found Ts2 to be more guilty of than Ts3 is

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 1:27 AM
Well I have had crashing problems running the game without a single expansion pack or piece of CC and that has yet to happen in the Sims 2. Sorry I upset everyone and I will just say that on my badly run system the Sims 2 runs a lot better then The Sims 3 and I enjoy it more. I have played the Sims 3 without mods and for me it still crashes, still this is most likely due to my PC being a piece of trash so i will not blame the game for that.

Sorry to have bothered you, I just thought you would like to know how it turned out since so many of you helped me figure out how to get the Sims 2 running in the first place.

Again sorry for upsetting everyone.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 2:10 AM
It is an unfair comparison (in relation to program running smoothly or crashing, etc), just because technology changes from 2002 (assumed inception date of Sims 2) until now in 2016 is tremendously huge. Even with running both programs on the same machine, one is programmed before 2004 and the other before 2009...and all the hardware and programming restrictions each set of developers had to work with at that time.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
Well I have had crashing problems running the game without a single expansion pack or piece of CC and that has yet to happen in the Sims 2. Sorry I upset everyone and I will just say that on my badly run system the Sims 2 runs a lot better then The Sims 3 and I enjoy it more. I have played the Sims 3 without mods and for me it still crashes, still this is most likely due to my PC being a piece of trash so i will not blame the game for that.

Sorry to have bothered you, I just thought you would like to know how it turned out since so many of you helped me figure out how to get the Sims 2 running in the first place.

Again sorry for upsetting everyone.

As i said you would do better posting this on the Sims 2 board rather than the sims 3 board. Most of us on the Sims 2 board prefer sims 2 and most people here on the Sims 3 board prefer sims 3, which is perfectly logical. Only a few play and enjoy both equally.

I think I had the one main mod and about 12 pieces of cc for 3 and use to swap around about three EP's and even with that one lipstick I tried looked blurry. It would freeze and ran like an old woman crossing the road. I thought I would play through WA then uninstall it. it wouldn't even let me finish the quests and the help board had no answers. That was the last straw for me and since I find the sims themselves very boring it wasn't a hard decision to uninstall it all. Made room for Skyrim which runs great.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 12:28 PM
I never said anyone was lying and I didn't know there was this huge divide between Sims fans. I have no interest in The Sims 4 but I don't take it personally if someone says that for them it works better then the Sims 3. I am just saying that for certain things the Sims 2 works better on my system and I didn't mean to give offense, in fact I meant the opposite, since a lot of you helped me find the version of the Sims 2 that runs so smoothly on my system I thought it would be ungrateful to just vanish for the most part without letting you know that it is because of all the help I was given by you guys getting the right version of the Sims 2 and that it worked out. I still have the Sims 3 installed and I still have fun with certain parts of it but on my garbage budget system running hundreds of Sims at once and expecting things to run smoothly enough to get to a goal is just not realistic.

I know you all have tried to help in the passed and alot of your advice has worked but over all I am just too much of a moron who has no idea what he is doing and my computer is too much of a worthless pile of pig's vomit for it to work, so in this one case The Sims 2 just works better and given that I am on several medications designed to reduce stress based panic attacks, so in my case the game that causes less stress is the better fit.

I am not saying I am not grateful for your help or that the Sims 3 is not overall the best game ever made, just that in this one case I am too much of an idiot to get in running right and I can't afford to replace my system, but thanks to you guys this idiot doesn't have to give up playing the Sims, he just has to switch games and I just wanted to let you know why.

Sorry for wrecking the board, i didn't mean to troll when you all have been so helpful. I am really sorry and thanks for all your help.

My PC specs.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 12:44 PM
Here is what I think of the two games overall. In the Sims 3 I believe in the world more and there is a lot more to do, but it can be hard to get running on older systems. In the Sims 2 the world feels tiny and I wish there was more to do but the Sims themselves feel more alive to me and the game runs smoothly, so if I want to simulate a life this is the game I am more likely to choose. I didn't mean for it to come off that I was saying the Sims 2 was a better game, just that it did certain things better. Like overall I like the presentation of Wing Commander Prophecy better then the earlier games in the series but I miss being able to make choices in the cuts scenes and choose my wingmen and ship load out in the earlier games. I like the whole series but it doesn't stop me from wishing that there had been a game that combined the play options of the earlier games with the presentation and smooth running on modern systems of Prophecy, I love all games in the series i just play different games for different reasons and find some of them lacking in different ways.

Same with the Sims series, I think the best game would have combined what worked from The Sims 2 with what worked in The Sims 3. Now I am not a programer so maybe this couldn't be done but if the trouble was the towns being too taxing on some systems maybe simulate smaller towns with few people who are a little less spread out then the give the player the option to ad to the town if their system will support it and they are not a complete idiot like me. I know I can some times get too angry when I am stressed out and getting near a panic attack and for that I am sorry. I am sorry to anyone who I insulted, that was not my intent and I still consider The Sims 3 to be a very good game, I just can't play it as intended because I am a moron with a bad system, the same applies to Starcraft 2. I am an RTS nut and I consider that a good game but i can't play it because I have never been able to get the game to register on my internet connection, the same things here.

The Sims 3 is one of the greatest games ever made and it has the best fans who i am sorry I insulted by implying that the last game in the series was better. I was just wishing that there were some features that carried over, but that is a matter of personal taste and I should never have stated it as fact. I am sorry.

The Sims 3 is a great game, I just wish the Sims 4 was the Sims 3 with a few features from the Sims 2 added back in, that is all.

Sorry for trolling.

My PC specs.
Theorist
#12 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 3:04 PM
You didn't insult anyone and you weren't trolling. It's a totally normal subject that you brought up.
Aside from that though, if your computer is very limited and Ts3 didn't run properly I would suggest playing Ts3 at a less taxing level.
If I were you I would try playing Ts3 with a simple hood such as Coconut Island 3 with a small population of perhaps 30 to start with, running Error Trap and Overwatch mods.
I used to do this when I had only 2gb RAM, and it was pretty smooth as far as I can recall.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 12:10 AM
Okay, thanks.

Sorry, I am working on that, it is in fact one of the things I am on medication for but sometimes I have a bad day. Sorry.

My PC specs.
One Minute Ninja'd
#15 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 1:10 AM
We all have bad days, and sometimes it's hard to rein in frustrations. I will say your critique of the differences between TS2 and TS3 are quite insightful, and the strengths and weaknesses of each are well addressed. If you enjoy TS2, and it runs well, then you have a terrific game with a ton of content, some interesting gameplay, and a community that remains active creating for it. If your current hardware is giving you grief with the added demands TS3 brings, then stepping back and sticking to what brings you enjoyment is a very intelligent choice.

I'm lucky to have hardware that can "handle" TS3, but even so, hiccups occur. The gameplay of TS3 makes it worthwhile for me to tolerate those hiccups. And I wholeheartedly agree with you that if the best of TS2 and TS3 can ever be developed into a new version, it would be a total blast to play. In the meantime, just go have fun with whatever is working best for you.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 4:02 AM
Well I kind of think I was only able to do that because I had gone through this thing before, with the Wing Commander series when I was a kid. It has always been a pet peeve with me when a more polished game sequel for some reason seems to remove features from older games in the series, it may be the reason I am waiting for the price to come down before giving The Sims 4 a shot.

My PC specs.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 8:37 AM
Winces.

Well, your opinion is your opinion, but posting how much you prefer Sims 2 on a Sims 3 forum is a little ... well ...

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.