Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 7:33 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night
Default CC magic "stop working" when trying to open the program
Hey, I have problem on trying to open the CC magic in my PC just now. It says "cc magic has stopped working. I never have any problem before with CC magic and I've been using it for almost a year now. I tried to reinstall the .NET, etc2 but the problem is still there. I've even tried to uninstall and reinstall CC magic itself.

Other than that, my Sims 3 is unafffected.

This is the log that comes with it:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ccmagic.exe
Problem Signature 02: 2.0.2942.0
Problem Signature 03: 5002e562
Problem Signature 04: System.Xml
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.17929
Problem Signature 06: 4ffa5c6f
Problem Signature 07: 96e
Problem Signature 08: 27
Problem Signature 09: System.Xml.XmlException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Please help as all my current CC is trap within CC magic.

Thank you
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 9:21 PM
I'm afraid it's unlikely that anyone here will be able to help - you'll be better off contacting granthes.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I'm afraid it's unlikely that anyone here will be able to help - you'll be better off contacting granthes.

I tired but I think he hasn't log on for a long time and his website's forum is offline
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 2:29 PM
By the way, I look through the log and I found this:

2014-02-22 14:21:54Z| Fatal | [CCMagic.App] -- Unhandled ExceptionSystem.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
at CCMagic.Core.Configure.SettingsManager.Load()
at CCMagic.Core.Configure.SettingsManager.LoadSettings()
at CCMagic.Core.Configure.SettingsManager.GetValue(String Key)
at CCMagic.Core.LaunchManager.cmdClearResourceCFGCan()
at CCMagic.DelegateCommand.CanExecute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CanExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.UpdateCanExecute()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.HookCommand(ICommand command)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnCommandChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.InvalidateProperty(DependencyProperty dp, Boolean preserveCurrentValue)
at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpressionBase.Invalidate(Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpression.TransferValue(Object newValue, Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpression.Activate(Object item)
at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpression.AttachToContext(AttachAttempt attempt)
at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpression.MS.Internal.Data.IDataBindEngineClient.AttachToContext(Boolean lastChance)
at MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine.Task.Run(Boolean lastChance)
at MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine.Run(Object arg)
at MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine.OnLayoutUpdated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireLayoutUpdateEvent()
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
at System.Windows.UIElement.UpdateLayout()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.SetLayoutSize()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.set_RootVisualInternal(Visual value)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.set_RootVisual(Visual value)
at System.Windows.Window.SetRootVisual()
at System.Windows.Window.SetRootVisualAndUpdateSTC()
at System.Windows.Window.SetupInitialState(Double requestedTop, Double requestedLeft, Double requestedWidth, Double requestedHeight)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean duringShow)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindowDuringShow()
at System.Windows.Window.SafeCreateWindowDuringShow()
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
at System.Windows.Window.Show()
at CCMagic.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(Object unused)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Does anyone understands this?
Scholar
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 2:45 PM
Nope, sorry.
Site Helper
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 6:24 PM
Well, we can tell that you have a root element missing in your XML. Does that help?

Have you been fooling around with any of the XML files? Is it possible that they somehow became corrupted? Reinstalling may or may not fix existing corrupted files; did you delete the entire folder after uninstalling and before reinstalling CC Magic? If not, that might be worth a try.

Does CC Magic create an XML file somewhere else, such as in your Documents folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Well, we can tell that you have a root element missing in your XML. Does that help?

Have you been fooling around with any of the XML files? Is it possible that they somehow became corrupted? Reinstalling may or may not fix existing corrupted files; did you delete the entire folder after uninstalling and before reinstalling CC Magic? If not, that might be worth a try.

Does CC Magic create an XML file somewhere else, such as in your Documents folder?

Oh IT'S WORKING NOW!!! THANK YOU!!

I copied all the documents under the CC magic before I delete and uninstall it.

I re-install it and it manage open again but without all the setup in it.

I slowly copy back all my CC under the CCmagic and I notice when I paste my previous settings, the CC magic stop working again.

So I reopen the CCmagic everytime I put the settings individually to see which one is the culprit. I didn't manage to find it but it works

Does installing Nraas Retuner consider as playing one of the XML files? I did change one of the autonomous action though
Test Subject
#8 Old 17th Aug 2017 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Leicht
Oh IT'S WORKING NOW!!! THANK YOU!!

I copied all the documents under the CC magic before I delete and uninstall it.

I re-install it and it manage open again but without all the setup in it.

I slowly copy back all my CC under the CCmagic and I notice when I paste my previous settings, the CC magic stop working again.

So I reopen the CCmagic everytime I put the settings individually to see which one is the culprit. I didn't manage to find it but it works

Does installing Nraas Retuner consider as playing one of the XML files? I did change one of the autonomous action though

I know this thread is dead, but this problem is very much alive and still likely to happen, so I wanted to thank you for doing the dirty work and actually moving out your mods and moving stuff back in to narrow down the files in question. I can confirm your solution, as I was getting the "stopped working" error on launch of CCMagic. This started happening when I had a problem and I had to shut down my computer while CCMagic was still open, but Sims 3 had already been saved and closed.

As per your diagnosis, I was able to go directly to C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Electronic Arts\CC Magic\Settings where I saw 3 files, 2 of which were "Settings" files. One was Settings.xml and the other was Settings.bak. I viewed them both in a Wordpad to compare and I found my Settings.xml was blank, but Settings.bak had data in it. I just renamed Settings.xml (the blank one) to Settings.blank (or just some other extension) and renamed Settings.bak to Settings.xml.

This fixed it immediately. I only replied to make your answer clearer for anyone who is unfamiliar where the settings files may be located and exactly how your solution can be a very fast fix.
Test Subject
#9 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 11:49 PM
what about if it crashes immediately on startup? when i try to install the necessary files/microsoft .exes it says i've already installed them or have a higher level installed. i haven't seen a solution to this anywhere