Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2010 at 7:47 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions
"core_launch_error", black screen, so much doom...doooom
So... yesterday i went to play my game like i had so many times before. launcher said update your game, so i thought "o.k! i've done this a bazillion times before, why not?" WA updated fine, but the base game stopped near the end and said "error: file not found". so i took out all my mods and made everything default and still the same message. after several hours of trying to figure this out, i uninstalled. i go to reinstall, and right after i enter the registration code it shuts off like i hit "cancel" instead of "next". no error message, no explanation at all. just stopped. same with WA. I stayed up until the wee hours trying to figure it out, found nothing pertaining to my situation. this morning i decide to restore to a previous version, from a happy time long ago (2:13 pm yesterday). everything looked normal, all the files SEEMED like they were there- so i try to start my game (still havent put the custom content back- game is totally unaltered as far as i can tell). It says "core_launch_error" and turns into a black doom screen. i tried looking that up, found nothing... according to my search- which returned 0 results- this has never happened before in the history of the world. I find that hard to believe. someone has to have seen this before!!! I have never had a problem before. i know all the little things that can go wrong, i know my computer CAN run the game, i even restored the files my core mod changes to the original state prior to patching. so have i just caught the dumb and the answer is staring me in the face, or did i spend $60+ on coasters? because i can get better coasters than that for, like, $2...
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th May 2010 at 11:51 PM
Restore to a previous version? Restore what? A backup, or did you use system restore, or what?

How did you uninstall - using control panel, or the game's uninstaller, or...?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th May 2010 at 4:29 AM
I used control panel to uninstall and used system restore since it shut off after i entered the code... actually, i just realized that i used the system restore on the program files but not the documents. im not sure if it makes any difference but its worth trying i guess...
Site Helper
#4 Old 14th May 2010 at 3:52 PM
Documents aren't listed in the registry, so a system restore shouldn't touch them.

It does sound to me as though the core was corrupted somehow. Maybe another reinstall will repair it if that is the case?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th May 2010 at 4:48 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • Sims 3 - Uninstall
    This Game_Help:TS3_Uninstallwiki link has the step-by-step instructions to guide you through uninstalling The Sims 3, and its packs (EP/SP).

If you're reinstalling because you're reverting to an older patch, or just do not want to use the Launcher/EADM to patch, read this FAQ Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki once through before patching and then follow the guide.
I agree with Ghost. Do a full uninstall according to these instructions, then reinstall.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th May 2010 at 11:02 PM Last edited by ubee0173 : 16th May 2010 at 8:13 AM. Reason: more info
Default but wait...theres more!
that's what i did- completely uninstalled sims3 and wa, and the problem is when i am reinstalling it, it just shuts off after i put the registration # in. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled before with no problem, and that's why i'm so confused as to whats going on... I'll try it again, though. if it works, i swear I'll eat my computer- this will be about the millionth time I've tried. hope it works! I,m gettin' the shakes from my Sims withdrawal!

after 8+hours of getting freindly with my computers innermost parts im just as screwed as earlier. now it says this when i try to uninstall:

Error Code: -5005 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (851)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:Electronic Arts (http://www.TheSims3.com)
PGUID:C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8
$15.0.0.498
@Windows Vista Service Pack 0 (7600)
IE Version: 8.0.7600.16385

you see, its not that im an idiot who doesnt know how to uninstall something. im one of those idiots that are usually very good at this sort of thing. i have searched and searched and all the answers are silly people who think they know things saying 'leik just push uninstall and it will go away' (not you guys just the 15 year olds populating most answers sites)... but it doesn't. there is a seriously corrupt file somewhere and i have been doing registry cleanings about every half hour. i tried getting a file fixin' program. everything that is supposed to be working IS NOT WORKING! **bashes mouse into forehead** now im about to eat my computer- not because it worked but because i have gone insane

oh- i forgot the part i was supposed to put about details.
did a full uninstall again as per directions- i had already done that, but might as well try again- and the install wizard fails, giving me that nice error message above and got 'pinball wizard' stuck in my head, only its saying 'install wizard', which is probably why i sound crazy now. anyway, after that i did a registry scan and application scan and clean and went through manually uninstalling every file-not just the ones in the ea folder, but really ALL of them- found out it was the sims3exe file thats missing, but ive tried the file repair programs and they arent fixing it. tried installing files manually from the disk, thinking they might overwrite the effed up files, but sims3exe is not on there anymore. hmmm....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th May 2010 at 2:28 AM
so i never fixed it, just backed up my stuffs and put my computer back to default. so its fixed for me, but if anyone else has this problem i never found a way to actually fix whatever was wrong.
Locked thread | Locked by: werismyki Reason: Completed but not Resolved