Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2013 at 5:09 PM Last edited by QueeneB : 28th Dec 2013 at 4:08 AM.
Default Using CAW with Any Game Starter not working as expected
I've been in the planning stages of a base-game only world for awhile as a birthday gift for my best friend who uses a totally different set of EPs/SPs than I do, and I'm ready to begin creating in CAW, but of course, since I have all my EPs and SPs installed and am not keen on uninstalling them merely to create a new world, I downloaded Any Game Starter in an attempt to eliminate all unwanted objects from CAW.

So, I searched the forum for this information and didn't find anything, nor did I find it just by searching Google for any other information that might come with it, and I've followed the instructions according to the Wiki here but this doesn't actually seem to work for me. Once I load the Sims 3 base game with AGS and then open CAW while the game is running, everything goes fine (as in, no crashes or anything detrimental) and then I maximize and close the Sims 3, but when I set to work in CAW, the lot options, decor, plants, etc from all the expansion packs I have are still available in CAW. I have actually run the game with AGS with base game only, and things work as expected, with no content that should not be there, and the only mods/CC I currently have installed are some terrain paints for use in CAW and EIG.

I feel like I'm missing something, a step that I should have taken but didn't realize I should have taken. I have given some thought today to uninstalling and then redownloading CAW but that doesn't actually make sense (because why would CAW know I'm using AGS to run the base game only?) and I don't want to try that until I have tried some other things because I live in the middle of nowhere and use satellite internet which is really really slow. As of today's date, my CAW version is 0.2.0.197 and game version is 1.62.153.024001 (which may or may not be the most up-to-date patch--I haven't checked lately--but the CAW and game version combination I've been using has been working fine for me when using all EPs/SPs I currently have).

Does anybody know what I'm missing or forgot to do? Thanks and imaginary brownies for anyone who can help me.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 27th Dec 2013 at 7:29 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 27th Dec 2013 at 10:26 PM.
what mod do you use, you have a link? There is several to choose from, I'm using ralphaelninjas mod, but I haven't opened caw with it in use yet.

Edit: I just tried open a new world file with the modded game I have been building houses in and it seems to work. I have very little to choose from, only some EP2, EP9 and EP11 as I can see.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
what mod do you use, you have a link? There is several to choose from, I'm using ralphaelninjas mod, but I haven't opened caw with it in use yet.

Edit: I just tried open a new world file with the modded game I have been building houses in and it seems to work. I have very little to choose from, only some EP2, EP9 and EP11 as I can see.

I'm using Any Game Starter, which is in the instructions in the Wiki tutorial I've been trying to use.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 9:30 AM
Have you tried this one: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1411.0

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#5 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 10:55 AM
When you use mod you need to read the description on the mod very carefully and the comments. People comment on whether it works or not, and it may not be updated. Tutorials tend to be updated much less, they can even be outdated before anyone bother to update them, if they ever do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 3:56 PM
When you use mod you need to read the description on the mod very carefully and the comments. People comment on whether it works or not, and it may not be updated. Tutorials tend to be updated much less, they can even be outdated before anyone bother to update them, if they ever do.

So I'm not trying to be a jerk here, and I'm sure you're not trying to imply that I just posted a thread in a forum without bothering to read, research, or do any homework for myself, but I assure you, that's not the case. I almost never post anything in any forum here because I almost never have questions because I generally figure stuff out on my own. This was a rare case; I did a lot of reading (all 264 comments on the Any Game Starter download page, PLUS all of its details and instructions, if you want to know), a lot of research, and a lot of experimenting, and I was unable to come up with a solution, purely based on the--admittedly outdated--tutorial I found. From reading the comments on the Any Game Starter download, I found nothing, except that in its early versions it was not working with CAW because CAW was not working for anyone at that patch level. CAW has been updated since then and now works just fine, and since the writer of the tutorial clearly was able to produce the desired results from using Any Game Starter, I presumed it might still be possible to use that method and was concerned that it was not working.

I did not post this question on the download page for Any Game Starter because it is operating as it is expected to operate within the parameters set by the person who created it. I am not here for mod support; the problem is clearly not with the program itself, but with either CAW or with the outdated instructions--hence, I needed some assistance with creation, and as this is a creator forum, I thought this was the place to go.

I know you are trying to help, and any other constructive advice is appreciated; just please don't assume I'm refusing to do my own research and not considering that mods and tutorials are not always up-to-date.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Have you tried this one: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1411.0

Thank you for this suggestion. Once I do a little more research to determine if CAW still works correctly on the most recent game update, I plan on patching and giving this one a try--if I can manage to stay up late tonight when the download speed for our satellite internet service picks up.

For anyone else who might have any other suggestions, please let me know, and thanks in advance.
dodgy builder
#7 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 9:48 AM
To much going on in several different directions here, sorry I'm so absentminded. Usually people don't bother to research it themselves . I didn't mention that your link didn't work for me, now it does for some reason I didn't know what program you tried really. I did some research of my own and decided on this one, and it seems to do the trick
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 10:05 AM
Lol just how many anygamestarters ARE there out there? Answers on a postcard...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 2:18 PM
I don't think there is an AGS that supports CAW's worldtool.exe, natively (without having to go via Sims 3 itself). I'm still looking/waiting for one for game + CAW, and still allow me to keep separate Profiles for different CC sets.
And, because I'm me, that also allows me to load different game configurations, on different patch levels. For technical questions like, "Is this bug from patch 888.123 or patch 888.456 without pack XYZ, or with pack XYZ but with patch 999.001?"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 4:43 PM
To much going on in several different directions here, sorry I'm so absentminded. Usually people don't bother to research it themselves . I didn't mention that your link didn't work for me, now it does for some reason I didn't know what program you tried really. I did some research of my own and decided on this one, and it seems to do the trick

Yeah, the link not working was my fault. I didn't realize my clumsy fingers had accidentally screwed something up when I was pasting the link and so, I fixed it.

No harm done--I think your comment just hit me the wrong way on a day when I'd obviously gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. I know a lot of people don't bother to check things themselves and prefer to just ask someone else to do their homework for them, and that kind of thing annoys me as well (which might be why I was so defensive).

As an update to my current situation, I haven't had a chance yet to try any suggestions because an impending head cold sent me to bed early last night, and I've now spoken to my best friend to try to collaborate a bit more on the planning of the world, and now she's telling me that she spent the money she received for Christmas to complete her SIms EP/SP collection. Needless to say, the solution to this problem is no longer under a sense of urgency since I can create the world using all EPs and SPs, but for future reference--and for anyone else out there who's had or is having the same problem, I still want to try to figure this out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll keep working on it.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
I don't think there is an AGS that supports CAW's worldtool.exe, natively (without having to go via Sims 3 itself). I'm still looking/waiting for one for game + CAW, and still allow me to keep separate Profiles for different CC sets.
And, because I'm me, that also allows me to load different game configurations, on different patch levels. For technical questions like, "Is this bug from patch 888.123 or patch 888.456 without pack XYZ, or with pack XYZ but with patch 999.001?"

Yes I run different games as well and found out that's not possible to configure differently at the same time. I just need to stay on one style at a time, being me that's not going to be easy.