Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 5:36 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 7th Jan 2017 at 6:21 PM.
Default How would you play out education and health-care if the hood were in a epedemic or (pandemic-) apocalypse situation?
Due to that I play very large hoods, currently over 350 playables, I like the hood of adding diseases and plauges into my sims lifes to maintain the population (the 1-2 child policy and empty nests do not fancy me). This thread might be not liked by simmers who prefer keeping their sims "happy ever after" gamestyles or having issues of seeing them die.

For reference sake and giving a scenario example of the thread's topic (so OP is a bit long )
I wasn't a big fan of the Real Sickness mod nor do constantly randomize death of sims, so I play with the THS method from the Warwickshire Challenge where you basically roll a number between 1 and 100 to determine the sims health (i.e. sims below 40 are poor condition while sims with 60+ number are in a good health) and then roll for each age stage along with each pregnancy of that sims (if female). But it feels like the method make the sim more and more healthier as they grow older as the negative rolls are getting smaller and smaller and without any other disease rolls (which I omitted), only children and pregnant women were at risk of dying. (using the death urn from debug mode to kill off sims below childstage as you probably can't have children/toddlers die in vanilla way due to the social worker) so I added a situation in my hood where I halfed their health state and most of them are in a plauge-like situation where most of the adults and older children are in a bad health or bedridden, kind of inspired from dramas/tv-series where the adults were only affected by the disease because the future surviving children probably won't be affected by this plauge.

Anyway, I have never played gamestyles like acocalypses and epedemics (only the simple roll 1-6 type) before, so Im a bit unsure how to play out this whole thing as it doesn't make sense to have sims breed like crazy or doing heavy exercises or going to universities, when they are very sick and should be in bed. I've some ideas of moving the very ill/sick sims to quarantine areas in separate households to avoid the silly autonomy mechanics they have (seriously who would try for baby when several children has died recently? ) My hood intergrated medieval type of hood, so I only teachers, doctors from my playables, not npc/townies or "in-your-head" type. I've zero knowledge of how medical and education works in bad times in large usually wealthy city. As this hood do not have poverty or food problems.

SO, to question. Has anybody played with epedemic and intense plauges (pandemic apocalypses) like this, How would you play education and health-care

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 6:08 PM
If it was an apocalypse situation, then there is none! EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF! (I... uh... don't do much rolling or planning.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 7:34 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 7th Jan 2017 at 7:43 PM. Reason: rewrote the post
Well, My sims are not allowed to work due to their health, but having all them "wither" away seems a bit weird (this pandemicc is happened due to lack of medicines. ) and having them sit in their room doing nothing and just become senile idiots due to completly lack of education and health care, doesnt seems to be *that* fun.. (like, do you lose your intelligence completly if you're sick? )
Forum Resident
#4 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 10:46 PM
Hmmm. Could you homeschool some children? It wouldn't be too strenuous for the ill parents to teach children as long as they were sitting right?

And should I mention how now would be a good time for a few quack doctors to take advantage of a scared populous. I believe that quite a few people would happily give everything they have for good health or to save a family member. It happens often enough after actual disasters.

And a quarantine camp sounds interesting. Considering the nobility and peasant rankings, how would that work in a contained area? Or better yet, would you just jail the sickly if the death rate got too high?

I honestly think I'm making this worse for you, Florentzina. I'm bringing up more questions than helpful answers.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 11:10 PM
Answering the question by asking about the situation kind of help me a little actually.

The death rate is quiet high in all ranks, I've about 15-20 new weed 2nd generation young couple from each general class (using the royal, gentry, bourgeoisie, peasants/serfs and outlaws ranking terms) so its going to be quiet a lot of quarantined sims dwelling around. Most of their kids will be relatively healthy (this is a 10-20 "year" plague), but have a risk of becoming orphaned, and Im not sure how to give them a good life when there are no good doctors and teachers around (which I find more important than security as the hood reality peaceful otherwise) ...

So far, I've only done the rolls for most of the family , but The royal family will loose half of the members within this round along with having both the crown prince and crown princess decapitated (too sick to rule) and the eldest son will loose his wife from childbirth due to poor health, while the second son is too ill and the other ones are unfit for the role due to bad marriages. and if the eldest don't get any son, the crown will be jeopardized. But I also have several "important" head of the family die from illness (they are lucky if they are all alive after 40!, the bad health rolls sure love cursing my heirs and their spouses. )

I usually tends to be a bit "goody-goody" with my sims by focusing on my nicer sims, but I'm intriguing by adding some drama (like crappy grouchy doctors) to it, due the royalty is during a tricky situation.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 12:02 AM
PlatiniumPlumbbob.
Well, usually, I just get the ideas from a bunch of challenges I read and create my hoods inspired by them. When I don't feel happy with the outcome such as health system method from Warwickshire challenge, I add in new ones. With the THS system, I found it a bit unfair that men rarely got bad health unless they were children, but women died like flies after giving birth to a few kid. So I just spontaneous got the idea to half all of their stats which gave me the result result I wanted. (the rolls prevent me to micromanage when they live or die). Putting a strategy for disaster is a different story as I'm not familiar with how it worked in the old days.

I do have read the Apocalypse/Epidemic challenges but this is just something that happen in a smaller time frame and more of a virus (but it is similar). This hood is set after the viking era, so it might be similare to the Black Death period.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 1:29 AM
I don't play much with zombies unless they are "Ghouls" which is a vampire bite hack I use that make a sim into a servant and use a life state changer to turn them into zombies. I do have witches (alignment based on personality), but ironically, they are also affected by the plague and sick right now. If their daughters don't get too many kids they might survive the plague disaster (but they might "cheat" it with magic). The parents fate are determine by the next roll when they are 42 which is in two seasons (technically, a season is 5 years and adult has random health age rolls once every 10 years and turns elder at 62, but I speed up aging but still keep rotations in sync, it goes quiet quickly ) In the Warwickshire challenge, there is a plot suggestion that abortion and birth control are illegal and can only be bought (Herbs) from evil witches. If they do, they will get frown upon by the clergy. But they like the good witches as long as their "spells" are successful (otherwise seen as evil witchcraft if the pregnant sim dies). So in a way, my hood has that witch plot already.
Instructor
#10 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:09 AM
Have a more family-oriented sim run a small school from their home, teach some basic reading and writing for nostalgia/preservation's sake. Put children at risk for falling ill in a tiny hut where they can still meet other kids while also keeping away from possible disease carriers. Put older siblings in charge of tutoring/taking care of their siblings. The healthiest sims by the time they reach a fertile age get busy and reproduce before anything goes south.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:53 AM
I would put on realistic illness and zombie apocalypse and have my playables run like crazy and hope they don't die/get turned into zombies. Education would be none.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Florentzina,

There are a couple of ways to cure disease in the Sims 2 game.

1. Get a Sim in the Science career. I think the Sim will have access to the Science career reward when it reaches the rank, Inventor. You may use the career reward to make medicines or viruses. If you make a virus, then you may throw a party and touch everyone at the party to spread the disease faster. Heck, why not even woohoo with that girl next door and spread the disease sexually? If you make a medicine, then you can cure disease.

Do you have a hack that makes the biotech station actually make a working virus? If so I'd appreciate a link.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 5:35 AM
I know years ago my sim making stuff at the station got sick with a mysterious illness. I don't know if this was pre patch or pre AL only that it happened.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 6:12 AM
Plenty of mods will allow your sim to get sick.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 6:52 AM
Info about the Biotech station and its virus per sims.wikia.com:
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Illness

"Also known as "Virus", Sims can be infected with this when using the biotech station with low logic skill. It should be noted that this disease is highly contagious and can easily spread through the entire neighborhood in a matter of days."

"The medicine made with the biotech station cuts down the resting time needed to be cured of a sickness. Players who do not have either FreeTime (with up-to-date patches) or Apartment Life will need to get a mod from More Awesome Than You! for the medicine to work properly."

Cyjon has a mod that makes the Biotech station train logic continously. With this mod, the station will never make usable medicine, but will also never make sims sick.
http://www.cyjon.net/node/49
Forum Resident
#19 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 8:17 AM
Illness from the biotech station happens when the sim is trying to make medicine and their attempt fails. I had it happen a few times to poor Castor Nova last time I played a modern 'hood. I've got the UC, so my game is patched and I'm pretty sure I don't have any mods that are supposed to change the biotech station. The medicine made from the station does work, but depending on the illness sims may need to make and take the treatment a few times. I tested it by watching the plague info statistics on batbox - after drinking the medicine, Castor got closer to cured, but just one treatment wasn't enough.
Theorist
#20 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:55 PM
Well the question is worded "how would you play out Healthcare and Education"

I will say I have never been in a situation where I had 350 playables....I don't think I'd be able to deal with that...

However assuming I had 350 plyables and was introducing a devastating plague into the neighbourhood in hopes of culling the population I'd probably do this:

Healthcare: The same as in regular gameplay: zilch. I don't set up any player run hospitals/clinics/quarantine areas/voodo witchdoctors/people wit healing hands. so I would not just start doing that only because theirs a pandemic wafting about.
School: Same as in regular gameplay. Once again I don't set up any player run schools and usually don't use any mods that change the way school works so the kids would continue to go to school, I'd might allow sick teens to stay at home, however, depending on whether I want them to live.

The only experience I have with aggressive sickness is using the deadly and misnamed "realistic sickness" mod in Apocalypse Hoods (until the Medical Restriction is unlocked) and yes that one is pretty good at culling your population.
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 3:30 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 8th Jan 2017 at 3:58 PM.
Well, my sims are not technically sick, it's more of simulation (in the maxi hood, some of the Pre-Made's biography are not exactly vanilla, like the Summer-dream's is infertile which in vanilla game is not technical possible), which I roll for each age stage to determine the outcome, with negative rolls the sims health would decline and some dies in infancy, other midway through adult, other are happy until they are elders (two of my cas founders were elders, they were around 63-73 when they died, which doesn't seems that bad as this is a pre-historic hood).

When I was thinking of healthcare, I did think of simulate institutions like hospitals, orphanages, quarantine camps etc because vanilla things like grandma soup won't work that well as they are not technically sick. I use quiet lot of mods for this sort of things.

Before I discovered this method, I've been trying realistic sickness mod before along with doing the "roll a dice" method, but I prefer the simulated method better as I know when my sims dies or not (just dying from a cold was a bit intense for me) and one thing I didn't like about that mod is that the sims would only drop dead if they got sick. As most of my sims don't have regular jobs and tends to clean after them self, getting sick wouldn't be that easy.

This is the PDF of the challenge. Check page 26-27 and 29 or scroll to around 45 to see what I'm referring to when saying simulating (its charts). It's kind of similar to the ideas mentioned in the integrated thread by MikeJMW55.

Let say a sim has a health number of 9, this means they would technically be in a coma state which I roll -3 to +3 each to see if they recover or not. Sims health below 39 won't be able to any psychical activities etc etc, I'm trying to simulate those things, but with the autonomy mechanism of the game, its make it a tad difficult. I do disable woohooing and high romance autonomy in ACR2, along with using symbolical flexi school system, but not sure I can do that with the other activities.

Orphalesion
I had 50 cas founders in my hood and didn't want to recreate them (for the challenge I'm doing) and when everyone had over 4 kids, its very easy to get to 300 playable's. Without the plagues/diseases, it would be A LOT more and find it more realistic that sims can die at any age beside accidents as teens/adults or at old age. When a child is having a cold temperature, the social taker would take them and Im not sure what happen to a child if you use a no-social worker mod.
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 4:44 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 8th Jan 2017 at 5:44 PM.
The THS record their health state and then I just record <Insert sim's name> died from illness/plague/childbirth because I prefer it simple. Exactly what kind isn't recorded but they did die from something. I usually use CC makeup such as scars, premature wrinkles, blemishes, etc to make them look ill.

A record example of one of my households, except each aspect is tabbed in wordpad:

NORTON Day 25, Summer /Rot 6 (A crazy scientist/mage family with vampire influences, who is outlawed from the society)
# Parents: Nestor 48 Kno-Fam, Outlaw, Science (Magic) Pisces Good 20F AD3
Nancy, the mother died from illness, long time ago.
1st Son Nathan 28 Kno-Fam, Outlaw, Magic Pisces Good 24F AD1
Spouse % Adams Amina Died from complication of pregnancy (a vampire daughter from the Adam's family)
Child # Norton+Adams Neil 9, Outcast-Vamp-Magic, Fitness Pisces Good 102F C

Notes: Good is refering to their good/evil alignment regarding whether they do evil or good behaviors, which is based on their personality. AD/C = their current age stage and for example 24F (terrible) is their THS health, F or L for their body shape (their next rolls wont be before 10 days, and 4days for their son), while everything else should be self-explanatory. Except for the son, everyone else in the house has terrible health and could loose their life during next age roll....unless they are lucky! Fortunetly, Neil will become a teen before then and can live on his own. Being outlaws, this family may not get married or visiting the "regular" families and not visiting community lots and if they do, they would be get killed and the other family might risk becoming outlaws themself.
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 9:40 PM
Well, I see random as "fate" in this case, little like the asian view of Grim rippers and death. The japanese shinigami (death souls that invite human to death or the comics I read, they wait for the fated human to die to send them to the hea ven/hell afterlife) so these random rolls I use kind be interpreted that every sim has a certain age they will die depending on their fate.

I use custom bills, so I don't pay much attention to the vanilla ones and also use the school fees mentioned in the Warwick challenge, homeschool are free (as long you have the simbolical school table, Puplic day school cost 100/student/season, Private day school cost 500/student/season which are the maxi education. They also have fees for nanny's and Tutors, Puplic-/Private/Elite Boarding Schools, Finishing Schools (Simbolical Flexi/Boarding school) and different universities depending on the sims social class

I use those fees for the education, but then finding playable that can teach the children is a bit difficult as most adults are sick right now and education take a huge part on how high they can climb in careers as well as becoming doctors and scholars. So fear, the next generation is going to find it difficult to expand in their education and becoming good doctors. In the challenge, enrolling for the more formal education also require that the doctors need to be in a good health, so they can supervise the rich children's health.
Page 1 of 3