Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 12:30 PM
Default The Corner of Death
When Dustin and Angela arrived at the university (Academie le Tour) I first settled them in a small house. That arrangement proved to be rather dull so I resettled them in a dorm. Everything went on as normal for some (Sim) days until one evening, I was alerted to this scene:

That was a rather nasty surprise since I've never had a student die before. And then the next morning another student died on the same spot.

Both students were NPCs from the couple's dorm. The corner is one of the two entrance/exit points to the lot. That's all I know ATM - not much. I'll investigate further, but has anyone here had the same experience and knows more about what is going on?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 12:40 PM
Did you put on 'nouniprotect' It's a mod from MATY that means dormie NPC's have to actually look after themselves.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 6:15 PM
What jo said, plus it looks like they're getting Go To Class pushed on them when their hunger bar is extremely low so they drop to -100 at class, and drop dead of hunger as soon as they return. I've had dormies piss themselves at the portals, so it's less Corner of Death and more Dormie Class Schedule of Death going on here. Maybe some gelatins and Call Household to Eat would help. Or you could yank nouniprotect.
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:12 PM
I had a dorm where this was a regular occurrence. Lochside Lake Dorm was supposed to be the posh dorm, with 6 Sims in it. The single playable one was the fifth Sim to die there in 17 days because the other Sims could not figure out how to use a fridge, chopping board or cooker! (I had Uniprotect and the dorm had no cafeteria oven arrangement). It got even worse when lightning set the flowers at the front of the dorm on fire - that distracted everyone from food and gave the Grim Reaper waaay too much work to do.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:41 PM
Yeah, I took nouniprotect out because of the death by class factor. I made all my dormies. I don't particularly want them dead no matter how dumb they are. They were made to be moving scenery and I'm damned if they won't remain moving scenery.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:49 PM
You guys are hard to understand...
Are you saying that nouniprotect make the deaths happen ? or that it keeps them from dying??
Jo's post confuses me..and then Maxon comes in, and I am just more confused. lol
"no Uni Protect"...to me I read : Uni student do not get EA's protection therefore, they can also die just like playables.
But Jo's description of this mod, assumes the opposite. If this mod makes the uni student care for themselves..then they have less chances to die of starvation or else?
That makes no sense...
Anyways...my 2 cents, i never heard about this mod before, and never had a Uni student die at the portal.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:50 PM
Wait, I'm confused now. Is 'nouniprotect' helpful or not? From the name it seems like its not, but you never know with stuff like this from MATY/Pescado
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:51 PM
YAY!!! I am not alone...lol

Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
YAY!!! I am not alone...lol

Yay!

*Sits next to Rosebine to show Solidarity! *
Inventor
#10 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:57 PM
The way to go here would be to assume they die like this if you dó have this mod.
Because I don't and never had a townie student die on me. (Unless I had a hand in that myself, but that only happened twice in my whole sims playing career.)
Thus, they are protected without that mod and not wíth that mod.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:59 PM
Maybe I worded it badly? I said with nouniprotect in dormies must look after themselves, not that they will look after themselves. Big difference between must and will. Normally Maxis NPC code looks after them, but this mod takes away the code. Meaning if they don't look after themselves they will die of hunger, pee their pants and fall asleep on the floor. With this mod in they are essentially non controlled asylum patients.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#12 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:02 PM
The way I read this, if you have the mod, there's nothing to keep your dormies from dying. Then, if their motives are low, but they go to class, their motives drop even lower and upon return they die. That's why they all die in the same spot. The Go To Class command jumps the cue so they go even if thier hunger or other motives are already far into the red.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:04 PM
Yes that exactly. I would have said this was a cultural word usage misunderstanding but M.M.A.A didn't understand me either. Than again maybe it still is as sometimes American's seem to not speak English to me. :P

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:07 PM
Okay. Thank you. Now it is clear. I vote for worded badly. lol
I'll just continue as i always did, and forget that nouniprotect exist.

Inventor
#15 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:10 PM
I wouldn't want this mod either. Then I have to pay attention to townie dormies. No, thank you.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:13 PM
I have that mod, and I've never had a dormie die. They don't seem to have any trouble stuffing their faces whenever the cafeteria worker puts out food, and that's the only thing that'd kill them in terms of needs, right? (Except if they are sick, I mean)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:18 PM
I wouldn't use it that's for sure. Perhaps it was developed to appeal to people who like seeing dormies die, because you still have no way to make them eat. Not unless you went around making each one selectable and direct them to the food.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#18 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I have that mod, and I've never had a dormie die. They don't seem to have any trouble stuffing their faces whenever the cafeteria worker puts out food, and that's the only thing that'd kill them in terms of needs, right? (Except if they are sick, I mean)

I've never had a dormie die on a lot where there was a cafeteria worker, restaurant, standalone grill or where food was served by another Sim. The problem comes if none of those are there, and the player assumes the dormies will go to the trouble of getting stuff out of the fridge, preparing it and cooking it themselves... ...they often disappoint you.
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:35 PM Last edited by pico22 : 11th Jan 2015 at 9:51 PM.
Thank you for your answers!

The "Dormie Class Schedule of Death" must be the principal cause. I kept playing the same lot and the next Sim day I had dormies sleeping all over the place - a girl outside at the corner and three others inside. I saved the game and played on; the girl died but others recovered. I reloaded, made all of them selectable and took a closer look. All the girl's bars were deep or completely in red. Most of the other sleepers' bars were deep in red but their energy bar was yellow or green and - unlike the girl's energy bar - getting filled; those with the bar in green also had a "wake up" action queued. So the energy seems to be the problem: for some reason it does not get renewed (or renewed fast enough?) if the dormie is sleeping outside.

The only quick fix I could think of: testingcheatsenabled -> make selectable -> maximize (all or at least energy).

I have the mod but I've had it for years, with no problems until this point; maybe it clashes with a more recent one. I removed it anyway, just in case.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:46 PM
The only motive my dormies are bad at taking care off, is hygiene. And if you just convince them to shower a couple of times, they'll realize that whole being clean thing isn't so bad, and do it autonomously.

Not saying everyone should use the mod, but it doesn't necessarily make your dormies insta-die. Like I said, none of mine die. Nor do they collapse on the floor all over the place.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:49 PM
But what's the point of the mod?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

That stinky dormies peeing on the floor, passing out, and dying amuses Pescado?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:57 PM

Pescado's description:
Quote:
nouniprotect.package
Disables the "magic invulnerability protection" given to non-selectables in Uni dorms and frathouses that appears to have activated itself due to NL/patch. Dormies and visitors will now be required to eat, sleep, pee, and bathe like everyone else again. Hilarity ensues!
Instructor
#24 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 9:57 PM
Even before I had nouniprotect I would sometimes get idiot dormies congregating at the portal and peeing all over the sidewalk. It's a side effect of the "go to class" command overriding everything. :D
Mad Poster
#25 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 10:10 PM
Maybe I worded it badly? I said with nouniprotect in dormies must look after themselves, not that they will look after themselves. Big difference between must and will. Normally Maxis NPC code looks after them, but this mod takes away the code. Meaning if they don't look after themselves they will die of hunger, pee their pants and fall asleep on the floor. With this mod in they are essentially non controlled asylum patients.

Woops! My bad! The whole topic made it seem more confusing. (Plus, I didn't read the posts properly. Sorry! )

But, yes, I understand now. I thought it was a mod I should've had installed, but thanks for the clarification(s).

Yes that exactly. I would have said this was a cultural word usage misunderstanding but M.M.A.A didn't understand me either. Than again maybe it still is as sometimes American's seem to not speak English to me. :P

Meh! Don't worry. Misunderstandings and confusions always happen, especially with me, so don't be surprised if I seem confused!
Page 1 of 2