Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#51 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lytefoot
Can they eat it during a party, just not save it? (Otherwise it's pretty much impossible to throw a birthday party.) Maybe with some caveat that homemade food must also be served at the birthday party? Or just do without birthday parties if they've got the Homemade roll.

They can serve it at the birthday party, but you should do your best to cancel your sim's autonomous action to eat it, and toss it out(or shove it in the fridge for future generations) asap. If a sim autonomously eats cake, it's not a big deal, you tried. I've found that 90% of the time, though, I can get them to not eat it. What the party guests do is none of our concern, they're not bound by ridiculous challenge rules.

BTW, nice rolls for the next generation. That sounds like a pretty easy and fun combination to play. A writer(needing only to get max writing skill, which is easy) who loves to party(so that their social skill can stay up), and who only needs to raise 2 kids? Where can I sign up for that one? I'm not looking forward to having to play a pair of stylists next generation, especially since my game used to CTD after every 1-3 makeovers the last time I played a stylist(here's to hoping that was also an awesomemod conflict that got fixed, and not memory issues which is what I assumed it was at the time ). I guess neither of them will be very good at their career. :p

Quote: Originally posted by systempain
PS. Is the moodlet manager allowed? I won't use it either way because it seems like cheating.

It's allowed, until I make a rule/parameter stating otherwise. I tend not to use it often myself, since it does make things very easy, but it's up to you.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tigger89
BTW, nice rolls for the next generation. That sounds like a pretty easy and fun combination to play. A writer(needing only to get max writing skill, which is easy) who loves to party(so that their social skill can stay up), and who only needs to raise 2 kids? Where can I sign up for that one?

I know! I hope the 3rd generation rolls something a little tougher, I've had it pretty easy so far. I think I'll pick a complicated lifetime wish, just to spice it i up a little.

Speaking of lifetime wishes... how would one handle a lifetime wish incompatible with other rolls? I'm thinking specifically in the case of rolling Random + Fulfilled, of course, in other cases the situation's avoidable (either don't pick a wish you can't fulfill, or don't fulfill it). But in the Random+Fulfilled situation, how would you handle a lifetime wish for 5 children if you didn't roll 5... or one for the wrong career... or the Jack of All Trades wish that's actually impossible to fulfill within the parameters of this challenge (since it involves changing careers)... or the Gold Digger wish if you have to remain single? I think those are the only ones that could become impossible, but I could be wrong. Maybe the obvious answer is to allow the random player to use the Change Lifetime Wish reward to choose a compatible wish? (Requiring that it be replaced at random until it's compatible with the sim's rolls seems a little harsh.)

On a related note... could I suggest adding something to the income sources that would allow for the kind of career changing required for Jack of All Trades? Maybe something like "Roll (some number, maybe random 3-6?) of times. Sim must work in all these careers, at least long enough to make 500 simoleons, during his lifetime." (The reason for the 500 simoleons is to prevent taking and quitting jobs in rapid succession to fulfill the requirements without actually inconveniencing the sim.) I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure every other LTW is possible in this challenge with some combination of rolls, but Jack of All Trades isn't.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 10:40 PM
I think i will reserve the Moodlet Manager fir use while adventuring, as I think tents and dried food suck. When at home, it shall be kept in a box.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 11:38 PM
So Shaena found pregnancy rather easy, even enjoyable, but the actual part about giving birth not so much so. Little Andreas decided he would come while she was in the middle of cooking lunch, and she nearly burned the house down! There will be no more of those; so little Andreas is an only child. He is a Genius, but prone to be Clumsy. Before long, his first birthday came, and with it, his first party! He's hooked for life... he's also an adorable little toddler. He seems to take more after his mother.

Alchemist
#55 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 1:43 PM
He's adorable, lytefoot!
I have 2 updates to my blog, chapters 6 & 7. LOL, I got a lot of playing in this weekend while my husband was having guitar time.
My generation 2 heir is getting close to YA now, so generation 1 is almost done. I also got a couple of easy rolls for my first two generations. It was slightly difficult getting Perfect Children on normal lifespan, but with one stay at home parent it went pretty smoothly.
Here's the link to my blog again:
http://ramaswamilegacy.blogspot.com/
Field Researcher
#56 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 6:39 PM
Toddlerhood flew by, and Andreas is now a child. Within minutes of aging up the lifetime wish to be an Illustrious Author appeared, so he already knows what he wants to be. As a child he's a bit awkward, nerdy, and bookish. He loved his birthday party, but spent most of it in his room reading; perhaps he'll be more at ease at a party held for his own friends rather than his parents'. He's spent the remainder of the weekend playing chess with his daddy (and winning every time), reading, playing with blocks, and painting. I have a mod that keeps children from writing novels (because that's just silly), so he'll have to wait to start his "career" until his teens.

My rules don't require perfect children, but I came pretty close. Apparently I missed one of the Painting books with him, wasn't paying enough attention. Getting him through the books was a huge pain without touching the inventory: normally I just set drag them to the ground for the toddler to read himself, but that wasn't an option in this case. Andreas's bond with his parents ended up the closer for it, though, so I'm not complaining.

Quick rules question: is it all right to use the part-time jobs in Twallan's careers mod for teens? (Current version is here: http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?topic=3822.0) They might be kind of cheaty: they use skills, so they're more reliable to level; and their levels transfer to a related full-time career when the teen ages up. But the base-game part time jobs are really, really boring... Maybe count them as part of the corresponding full-time career, so a teen can only go into one if he/she is destined for that career in later life?
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 1:22 PM
I'm going to do this challenge, looks great! I always get bored of normal legacys but this will give me something to work towards in each generation, thanks!
Alchemist
#58 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 2:17 PM
Andreas is just adorable, Lytefoot. And of all the things EA doesn't allow children to do, it amazes me they let them write novels. I don't use a mod to disallow it, I just never let them do it, lol.
My chapter 8 is up, and Generation 2 has taken over:
http://ramaswamilegacy.blogspot.com...egacy-ch-8.html
Instructor
#59 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:28 PM
I would LOVE to Try this My only Problem is that my computer is so Accent that It dosen't play the Sims 3 Is there a chance that you can adapt this to the Sims 2
Field Researcher
#60 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 8:20 PM
When he became a teen, Andreas discovered girls (well, girl--there's only one female Teen or Child in all of Sunset Valley at the moment... stupid story progression...) He'd like to have become something of a Flirt, but aside from chatting up the one girl, and a few of his mother's friends (who find it, you know... cute), it isn't really working out for him.

In accordance with his new direction in life, he's changed his style a bit. He almost stopped wearing his glasses, but his mother made him keep them.
Test Subject
#61 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 9:08 PM
Aww, I hope he keeps the glasses! I like them!
Alchemist
#62 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 9:42 PM
I like the glasses too. He's growing into a very handsome young man.
Have you considered Twallan's story progression mod? It keeps the town from dying out. My teens always have several flirt partner options, lol.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 2:54 PM Last edited by queenraven : 18th Jul 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Okay, I started this Legacy the other day. It's been hellafun!!
I put all the pictures and story into a flickr account. Read about it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/520842...57624374871065/
My screenshots are kinda crappy, I didn't think to get closeups and stuff. I will do better with my next batch!
Here is my starting info.
Zoe and Jesse Granger
2 kids
Primary Job: Law Enforcement - Super Spy
Secondary Job: Busker
Need to fulfill all LTWs
No strangers

Zoe Granger

Jesse Granger
Test Subject
#64 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 5:23 PM
My family
Hi, this sounds really gd and i cant wait to get started!!

I have to have a couple with 2 children. My heir is a buisness person and my partner is not allowed a career they both have to obtain their LTW and hands off.

Sound fun cant wait!!
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 9:38 PM Last edited by systempain : 16th Jul 2010 at 12:28 AM.
The Twinklewinkles
Here is an update on my family from page 2:

Algus, who is getting old, retired from his architecture and took up gardening, ensuring a constant supply of fresh food for the family. He adopted a daughter, Kedua. Kedua grew up perfectly, got married to a Chinese man named Wang, and became a Fire Chief in no time. Her lifetime wish was to learn every recipe, which made sense since every meal had to be homemade. She has had 2 boys: Triceratops and Roberto Twinklewinkle. She also has 3 girls: Abdullah, Oblongata, and McTwinkella. I take great pleasure in giving my sims retarded names, in case you haven't noticed.

P.S. Algus still hasn't learned the importance of pants.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#66 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 6:26 AM Last edited by Katryn : 16th Jul 2010 at 6:36 AM. Reason: update
This really looks fun I'm all in. :D
Here's my starter couple (as couple was rolled).
She is Katryn, a nickname of mine (as if you couldn't tell by my forum name) and also the name of the first character I ever made for anything. (On a game called Furcadia. She was a red haired black panther named Katryn Shalnoreal)

She has kept her last name, Shalnoreal, instead of taking on her husband's. Speaking of which... here's her husband, Wullger Noquisi (Wullger is also Katryn's husband on Furcadia. His player also one of my best friends. Now, Wullger's character there is a blue dragon.. so I wanted to give a slight dragon like hint to this guy's features. LOL didn't do too hot.)

They are to have 2 kids, perfect careers and run in the family trait (so I gave it to both of them). He's an Architect and she's an inventor. They share actually 3 traits.. family oriented, natural cook and genius. In addition, she's eccentric and handy, and he's artistic and a kleptomaniac. (Hopefully with shiny new renovated room he gives his clients, they won't question what actually happened to their missing stuff in the other room.. right? Maybe they.. just won't notice... )

*update*
Katryn just came back from the hospital.. with twin girls too, so no more pregnancies for her (Yeah.. I was slow on making this first post :P) The bank account is crying though, so hopefully they can catch up and still take care of the girls. I'll post the girls' pics, their gen info and such once they reach toddler stage.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 11:06 AM
This challenge sounds great.. I have rolled for my family and I will start with a couple, 3 childrens, Laws enforcement (Forensics) and inventor, LTW fulfilled and Hands off

I have 2 questions:

1) If my inventor wants to create 3 monsters (LTW) is he allowed to garden for the life fruits he'll need? Or will I have to choose another LTW.. thanks in advance

2) I haven't uderstood what is exactly "Hands-off" ? Could you explain better?
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by systempain
Here is an update on my family from page 2:

Algus, who is getting old, retired from his architecture and took up gardening, ensuring a constant supply of fresh food for the family. He adopted a daughter, Kedua. Kedua grew up perfectly, got married to a Chinese man named Wang, and became a Fire Chief in no time. Her lifetime wish was to learn every recipe, which made sense since every meal had to be homemade. She has had 2 boys: Triceratops and Roberto Twinklewinkle. She also has 3 girls: Abdullah, Oblongata, and McTwinkella. I take great pleasure in giving my sims retarded names, in case you haven't noticed.

P.S. Algus still hasn't learned the importance of pants.

I LOVE your names!
Alchemist
#69 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 3:47 PM
It's great to see so many people playing this legacy!
I've got chapter 9 of my legacy blog up:
http://ramaswamilegacy.blogspot.com...egacy-ch-9.html
My third generation is born. :D
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 7:25 PM
Great stories, everyone!
Test Subject
#71 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 7:34 PM Last edited by Katryn : 16th Jul 2010 at 7:59 PM.
Well, I don't have any blog or such thing, so I hope you don't mind if I put my own updates here.
The girls have grown into adorable little toddlers. I was certain when they were born that I would know which I'd pick for heir once they hit toddlerhood... but seeing them, I'm still not sure. lol
First up is Kira. She's got her mother's eyes and her daddy's hair... that's a lot of blue! lol

And here's little Safire. Wow was I shocked when I saw her hair! Red and blue make... blond? But blond she is! She has her daddy's eyes, and I find it rather ironic that despite her name, she actually has no blue.. lol her sister got it all. I am considering making her my heir, namely for the originality of her hair.

Lol I had this long thing written out for their gen goals, but just deleted it. It sounded weird, so I'll story play it out later as the girls get older. Here's the basic list though.
Couple, 5 kids!! (oi), fisher, part time job, perfect careers, and runs in the family.
Hehe I think this gen will be intersting

Oh, while I think of it... anyone know the details on how genetics such as hair are worked out in this version? I know in Sims2 there were the 4 basic bins and they used a dominance/recessive and logged them for each gen. (meaning a particular color hair could be seen in gen 1.. and suddenly pop up again after being mia in say, gen 8.) However, I never saw them blending colors. Now we have access to a full and complete spectrum, and Saf here shows that blending does happen, as she's a blond on gen 2, born from two non blonds. But what are the rules behind it? How does it work? Will I ever see a say.. green? or Purple? or natural born white? Does it take from my saved color swatches? Does it do a mathematical calculation between the RGB values of the parents? I'm just... terribly curious to find out what makes it tick. :P

Also, a rules question. Am I allowed to build and drop on the lot a potential mate for my heir? Or place into another lot to "meet", Or if not, may I at least do a CAS edit on their townie mate to get rid of the ugly mugs that townies always have? (I swear, townies with decent traits are always married and nearly elders, or they are horridly ugly. It's very rare I find any who are at least passable on the eyes. It's always big noses, Mick Jagger lips, or a 500lb beach ball. Or much more commonly... all 3. [Though I did find this scrawny hermit guy in Townbrook who had these.. face extending dumbo ears. That was a new one. Got me wishing I had remembered to give Katryn some slightly elfin ears. I may do a CAS edit on this gen's her to add them.. we'll see ])
Field Researcher
#72 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mimi250
This challenge sounds great.. I have rolled for my family and I will start with a couple, 3 childrens, Laws enforcement (Forensics) and inventor, LTW fulfilled and Hands off

I have 2 questions:

1) If my inventor wants to create 3 monsters (LTW) is he allowed to garden for the life fruits he'll need? Or will I have to choose another LTW.. thanks in advance

2) I haven't uderstood what is exactly "Hands-off" ? Could you explain better?

1) As I understand it, you can garden all you like with any sim--the limitation is that you aren't allowed to sell your produce.

2) The limitation with Hands-off (as I've interpreted it as I played, anyway) is that you can't click and drag your sim's inventory to get items from place to place--in essence, only moving using interactions or in Build Mode--and you can't drop things down the inventory hole to sell them. So if you're playing Hands Off, you can't drag a book from your inventory into the shelf, you have to use the Put Away interaction (which requires the sim to walk over to the shelf). You can't just delete those old newspapers on your lot, you have to order a sim to recycle them. Any time it would seem to the sims that something is being moved about by the "hand of god," you have to have them do it instead. In addition, AwesomeMod has a feature called something like "The Robotic Hand of God" that expands these capabilities somehow (I don't use AwesomeMod, so I don't fully understand it), and you mustn't use that feature, either.
Test Subject
#73 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lytefoot
2) The limitation with Hands-off (as I've interpreted it as I played, anyway) is that you can't click and drag your sim's inventory to get items from place to place--in essence, only moving using interactions or in Build Mode--and you can't drop things down the inventory hole to sell them. So if you're playing Hands Off, you can't drag a book from your inventory into the shelf, you have to use the Put Away interaction (which requires the sim to walk over to the shelf). You can't just delete those old newspapers on your lot, you have to order a sim to recycle them. Any time it would seem to the sims that something is being moved about by the "hand of god," you have to have them do it instead. In addition, AwesomeMod has a feature called something like "The Robotic Hand of God" that expands these capabilities somehow (I don't use AwesomeMod, so I don't fully understand it), and you mustn't use that feature, either.

Hmm... that raises a question though. Say your inventor has built a toy and wants to let their kids play with it. How do you give it to them? Or you need to sell those widgets you made (as inventing is your career) which are automatically put into your inventory after they are made. Or say you're a reporter and you dig through someone's trash to get some dirt on them. You pick up all sorts of "other" things as well.. moodlight candle, soap, and real trash. How would one interact with these things to take care of them/place them on lot/ect. without dragging them from the inventory?
Field Researcher
#74 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Katryn
Hmm... that raises a question though. Say your inventor has built a toy and wants to let their kids play with it. How do you give it to them? Or you need to sell those widgets you made (as inventing is your career) which are automatically put into your inventory after they are made. Or say you're a reporter and you dig through someone's trash to get some dirt on them. You pick up all sorts of "other" things as well.. moodlight candle, soap, and real trash. How would one interact with these things to take care of them/place them on lot/ect. without dragging them from the inventory?

Well, some of those inconveniences are why it makes play more difficult...

As for selling widgets, isn't there a consignment shop in Ambitions for selling things? Or is that only for things like art? I'd think selling in the consignment shop is an interaction, isn't it?

As I've played it, I figure that things that can only be used by dragging them out of the inventory (e.g. the bubble bath or duck) could be placed by dragging once, so long as you don't then drag into someone else's inventory. Things that can be used another way (for example, toys that you can use from the ground to play with kids, toddler books that can be read to children from the parent's inventory or the bookshelf) have to be used that way instead. The goal is to keep you from passing things from sim to sim and taking them to and from the ground willy nilly.

Real trash can be discarded with an interaction; odd things found while rummaging or fishing can be sold at the grocery store in the sell screen, without selling them to the inventory hole.
Alchemist
#75 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 8:57 PM
Katryn, from what I understand about Sim hair genetics, they don't blend at all. You get the hair color of one of the parents (or grandparents for Sims born to later generations), and you sometimes get a random hair color from nowhere, which would explain Safire.
As for editing faces in CAS, I hope that's okay, I've been tweaking the features of a lot of the born in game townies. I haven't yet altered the looks of my heir's spouse (or the spare's spouse), because I liked the way they look. But sooner or later one of my heirs will marry a Sim who has been altered, or the children of altered Sims. I also give distinctive features to the new townies the game moves into the neighborhood, because they all look alike, and I want variety. I would think that shouldn't be a problem as it doesn't affect any of the chalenge requirements or make it easier for you (except maybe easier for you to look at them, lol).
But I don't know about adding a potential spouse directly to the hood.
Page 3 of 22