Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 10:59 PM
Is there any way to merge .package files for the sims 2 on a mac?
I'm a long time lurker but this is my first time posting here, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong category! Let me know and I will certainly post this in the correct forum.

I have a macbook pro running sierra 10.12.6 and I've been playing the sims 2 ultimate collection. I know that there are ways to possibly attempt to run SimPE on a mac but I was wondering if there is any other way possible to merge .package custom content files for my own personal use? I'm not so concerned about the loading time, and the game seems to run smoothly once loaded. My problem is that my custom content has hit the maximum file limit, and its killing me that I can't download any more without going through and deleting other things first! I know there is a way to increase the file limit on a mac but I'm not enough of a computer expert to want to get into all it takes to do that (it can mess up your computer if you do it incorrectly). I've googled endlessly and I can't seem to find anything about doing this with the sims 2, just the sims 3 and 4. Like I said, I've never posted here before but I'm desperate to figure this out and be able to have all the custom content I want!

I really appreciate any input anyone might have on this issue! thanks!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Feb 2018 at 10:43 AM
I've not found a way, I'm afraid. I'm bundling a lot of my CC, but I'm doing it by dragging it across to the Bootcamp partition that runs my old Windows version of the game and using SimPE there, then dragging the bundled stuff back to macOS again. I'm not sure if there's a tool other than SimPE that's capable of bundling packages.

Do you have any access to Windows on your Mac? I don't think you'd need the game installed there, just SimPE, as all you do for bundling is create a new package and then add the packages you want to bundle to it.

(Increasing the Mac file limit actually isn't too bad - essentially you're just creating two additional files and rebooting. I agree that the existing instructions are intimidating if you don't know much about linux/unix though. I mean to get around to writing up a step by step tutorial on how to do it at some point - with screenshots - so you might want to look out for that.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
I've not found a way, I'm afraid. I'm bundling a lot of my CC, but I'm doing it by dragging it across to the Bootcamp partition that runs my old Windows version of the game and using SimPE there, then dragging the bundled stuff back to macOS again. I'm not sure if there's a tool other than SimPE that's capable of bundling packages.

Do you have any access to Windows on your Mac? I don't think you'd need the game installed there, just SimPE, as all you do for bundling is create a new package and then add the packages you want to bundle to it.

(Increasing the Mac file limit actually isn't too bad - essentially you're just creating two additional files and rebooting. I agree that the existing instructions are intimidating if you don't know much about linux/unix though. I mean to get around to writing up a step by step tutorial on how to do it at some point - with screenshots - so you might want to look out for that.)

Thanks for the reply!! This was my first ever post and I was worried about not getting responses on this. I've heard of using a program to run windows and therefore simPE, could you possibly tell me which program you use? There's several online and I don't really know which one to go with. I think I'll have to try that though. I wish you could increase my file limit for me!! haha I'm pretty well versed at working with macs but like you said, the instructions are intimidating.. I don't ever use terminal for anything so it's still new to me, I don't want to do the wrong thing and mess up my computer. If you did write a step by step tutorial, that would be amazing! It would definitely be appreciated by at least one person! :D
Field Researcher
#4 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mxyx
I've heard of using a program to run windows and therefore simPE, could you possibly tell me which program you use? There's several online and I don't really know which one to go with.

I use VMWare Fusion with a copy of Windows 7. It used to be the bootcamp partition where I played the game prior to Aspyr's re-release of the game as the Super Collection, but I largely just use it from the Mac side now. You basically run Windows from within the virtualisation software and it lets you drag files back and forth between Mac and Windows.

The other main virtualisation software is Parallels. I've not used it myself but it has a reputation for being a little more friendly towards gaming graphics. Obvioisly for both of those you have to pay for both a full version of Windows (upgrade editions aren't really supported) plus the program itself.

I see you found my file limit post.