Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 2:44 AM
Default What Did You Do With Land Grant University Neighborhood?
The Amazing @PeniGriffin just made an amazing university neighborhood called "Land Grant University." What did you guys do with it? I would love to know. The download link for the neighborhood is down below.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=571818
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 12:06 PM
Most creator-made neighbourhoods have one of these threads. I guess puxalickers is just getting ahead of the game.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 1:26 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 8th Feb 2016 at 3:29 PM.
I played Land Grant University for a while during play-testing, so I do have something to post already! :-)

At the Annya Var Fruhm sorority Ida Juana Knowe is in her final semester before graduation. She's in a relationship with Andy Bellum - which is a bit awkward, because he's the father of her sorority sister's son! Yes, Helen Wheels got pregnant through risky woohoo (her very first woohoo, as well!), and she and Andy now have a son, Wagon Wheels. Andy comes over quite a bit to spend time with his son, and after graduation/when Wagon starts school they intend to share custody. Helen is struggling with her studies, but she still hopes to graduate successfully.

At the Naggard Annya Hoh fraternity Andy Bellum has already graduated, but continues to live on campus in the frat house. When Ida graduates they will find a place together, most likely. He's joined the military, but hasn't actually had his first day at work yet. Hi Thyme has been busy dating, but his Knowledge secondary ensured that he kept his grades up, and he's in his Junior year. He hasn't settled down with a single partner, but he seems fairly committed to his two "friends with benefits" partners - one of his professors, and Daisy Wheels. As Andy will be leaving soon they encouraged dormie Damon Pythias to pledge, and he now lives in the frat house with them.

The Nerdists are all doing well with their studies - being Knowledge sims definitely helps! Sara Bellum and Cliff Notes continue to study Biology, and Hugh Knowe opted to major in Mathematics. Sara and Hugh are in a relationship, and Cliff (who turned out to be gay) has had his first kiss with dormie Damon Pythias. Neither he nor Damon have showed any interest in taking things further, but there's still time (especially now that Damon's playable)!

Over at the Printer Sisters household the residents are finding it hard to keep their grades up. JoAnn is doing alright and is in her final semester. Dot got put on academic probation early on but, with some help from Sara Bellum, managed to pass the second time round. When she became a Junior she changed her aspiration to Pleasure, which seems to suit her. Daisy also got put on academic probation and may drop out before the end of this semester, as she doesn't seem at all interested in her studies. After all, who needs a degree to be in a band, right?! Not Daisy!

I also aged Cyd Roseland down to YA and moved him to the university when I was testing some mods (to allow me to play university in the main 'hood). He's studying Philosophy and is doing well academically as well as being engaged to dormie Sue Casa, who lives with him and Porthos in a little house on campus.

I'm really enjoying this neighbourhood! As I play-tested it as a stand-alone neighbourhood (i.e. not attached to a populated main 'hood) I failed to keep the greek houses populated - the sorority will almost certainly die out when Helen gradates, and the fraternity is just hanging on thanks to new member Damon Pythias. Now that the finished version of Land Grant University has been released I am looking forward to playing it attached to Peni's Widespot, with a few extra households living in Widespot (the Ottomas, the Travellers, my CAS Wilkies (Sadie Wilkie's family), Peni's County household (from Meadow Creek) and possibly the Newsons) and a few of my favourite Maxis/EA YA's added to the university (Stella Terrano, Marla Biggs, Chester Gieke, Francis J. Worthington). I think that Widespot + Land Grant University + extras will be very enjoyable to play! :-)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 2:47 PM
I just downloaded LGU so I have yet to attach it to my Megahood that I made with Mountainside Valley (Base), Meadow Creek, Sedona and Mountain Acres ( :lovestruc ) (Subhoods). :D

Plus I'll need to play the subhood rotations twice first so it'll be in sync with MV. So it'll take a while for me to get to LGU. Unless I start with LGU first that is... :/

Either way, this'll be fun!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:26 PM
Yeah, I have a burning need to start a new Widespot with this attached. I'm afraid my other Widespot just got put on hold!

Hmm, what cc do I want to put in downloads for this?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 10:35 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 14th Feb 2016 at 1:08 AM.
I'm still playing my play-test version of Land Grant University and I'm still loving it! :-)

At the Annya Var Fruhm sorority Ida Juana Knowe has graduated with a BA in Political Science. She is still in a relationship with Andy Bellum, but when she invited him and some of her other friends over for a party he repeatedly rejected her advances, pushing her away when she tried to flirt with him and rejecting her for a make out. She doesn't know why, but their relationship took quite a hit. Helen Wheels is in her final semester and it looks like she will manage to graduate. Little Wagon Wheels will become a child next rotation. He has a good relationship with both of his parents, and Andy spends a lot of time with him whenever he comes round to visit. He also gets on well with "Aunt" Ida, and he knows his actual aunt, Daisy Wheels, as well. He hasn't met his other aunt, Sara Bellum, yet, though.

At the Naggard Annya Hoh fraternity things have been quite busy! It turns out that I was incorrect when I last posted about the fraternity - Damon Pythias had successfully pledged but hadn't moved in yet, but he has now. Andy Bellum was abducted by aliens (and though he wasn't too happy about it at the time he seems to be excited about becoming a father again, as he rolled a "Have Baby" want after his first pregnancy pop)! Hi Thyme is also becoming very interested in science and spends a lot of his nights star-gazing. I'd love for him to be abducted as well, but we'll just have to see if that happens or not......

The Nerdists all graduated last rotation (Hugh Knowe graduated magna cum laude, Sara Bellum and Cliff Notes just graduated), and they moved out of the dorm into a house together (11 Oat Row). They're still living on campus, and I plan to have them remain there, as I don't have a proper 'hood attached to the university so there's nowhere for them to move to, really. They're pretty poor, and if they weren't in a college rental their new place would've been tiny. As it is they have a nice little two bedroom place, and I'm looking forward to playing them there.

Things at the Printer Sisters household have become very interesting! JoAnn Gutenberg graduated and threw a graduation party, but has continued to live in their shared house on campus. Daisy Wheels dropped out, failing to complete her Junior year. The following rotation Dot Matrix also dropped out, but in her Senior year. Daisy wants to work as a journalist, the other two have shown no interest in establishing themselves in a career (yet?). But JoAnn asked Andy Bellum on a date, they both ended up repeatedly rolling marriage wants throughout the date, so I got them engaged and they promptly both rolled wants to throw a wedding party. I've given them both plenty of opportunities for the marriage wants to roll away, but they remained there after the date had finished, so Andy moved into the Printer Sisters' household. They're not sure when the wedding will be - and Andy's half-alien baby is due next rotation!

At the Roseland household Cyd has graduated but hasn't found (or looked for!) a job. And his fiancée, Sue Casa, is pregnant! She's still keeping up with her studies, and she and Cyd intend to marry before the baby is born. Cyd has been studying robotics and has a silver badge - he's been making hydro-bots and sentro-bots to pay for the wedding, and it's quite profitable! Porthos is getting old, and probably won't last much longer :-(
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 10:42 PM
Well, the deal with JoAnn would explain why Andy kept rejecting Ida Juana's advances! How'd the Printer Sisters work out as a band?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Well, the deal with JoAnn would explain why Andy kept rejecting Ida Juana's advances! How'd the Printer Sisters work out as a band?

He was rejecting JoAnn at the party as well! I think that possibly his feelings for Helen kind of came back when he was at the sorority house, seeing her and their son (and being pregnant himself!), but then when JoAnn asked him on a date he just totally fell for her. At one point earlier in the date he also rolled a want to marry Helen, but that rolled away and didn't return, but the Marry JoAnn one kept coming back. And as soon as she proposed to him they both kept rolling marriage and wedding party wants. I'll see what their wants are like next rotation - maybe after they've had some time to cool off one or both of them may be less keen!

I like playing them as a band. I send them to the off campus lounge (or bar? The lot with the bar and the instruments and a pool table and then an outdoor area with a dartboard and a grill) if one or more of them roll a want to visit a community lot and one or more of them have a want to play an instrument. Then they perform there for a while. One time I had them throw a party whilst they were there (using a mod) and it was reasonably successful. They seem to enjoy being in a band, but it doesn't make them much money! Daisy (Pop/For) doesn't seem as keen, but JoAnn (For/Ple) and Dot (Ple/For) both roll frequent wants to go to community lots and play instruments, so they've done a few "shows" in the eight days that I've played them for so far :-)
Scholar
#10 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 4:31 PM
I just installed it! Can't wait to play .

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 4:58 PM
They'll make more money as they get more creativity. Don't forget they can play gigs at the Hipster Quad and the Just Off Campus Coffee Shop, too. I set it up that way on purpose.

You changed Dot's aspiration, I see. I presume there was a system behind that? You have systems for everything, I know.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 5:12 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 15th Feb 2016 at 10:08 PM.
You changed Dot's aspiration, I see. I presume there was a system behind that? You have systems for everything, I know.

When she reached her Junior year she had yet to autonomously flirt with or kiss anyone, she hadn't had a first kiss, she showed no real interest in dating or romantically/sexually interacting with any particular sim (or more than one sim), she occasionally rolled date wants but no "numbered" wants and only very infrequent first kiss wants that kept rolling away. She seemed far more interested in just kind of relaxing, doing her own thing most of the time, playing instruments and spending time with JoAnn and Daisy. So I decided that she was acting more like a Pleasure sim, and changed her aspiration accordingly. Even now she rarely rolls date wants, but she rolls *loads* of go on an outing/visit a community lot wants, which I like filling! :-)

So nope, no system! I don't *have* a system for changing a sim's aspiration aspiration after their sophomore year because it's extremely rare for me to do so - sims generally get given their primary and secondary aspirations when they become teens and then they keep them for life (unless they roll as becoming "disabled" whilst serving in the military, in which case they get Grilled Cheese as either their primary aspiration (with no secondary) or as their secondary aspiration (with their original primary)). As far as I can remember, I have only changed one other sim's aspiration - River Land, in one of my iterations of Widespot, went from Knowledge/Family to Family/Knowledge when he became a Junior because he was hardly rolling any skilling/studying/degree related wants and was rolling loads of wants about his girlfriend, including repeated engagement wants. So I figured that Family would be a more suitable primary aspiration for him.

**ETA** But yeah, this is one of the few things that I don't have a "system" for! :-)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 10:18 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 16th Feb 2016 at 5:09 AM.
I am very very sorry for double posting (I am a bad person, clearly) but I need ideas!

My Land Grant University residents are starting to have children now, and I would love some suggestions for pun names for the main households (and for potential offspring of the dormies, but mainly names to go with the playable sims' surnames), to continue the 'hood's naming theme :-D

So far I have come up with:

Post Bellum
Fla Bellum
La Bellum

Inthe Knowe
Ai Knowe

Justin/Justine Thyme
Stitchin Thyme
Savin Thyme
Spring Thyme
Summer Thyme
Winter Thyme
Tu Thyme
Third Thyme
Luvva Lee Thyme

Wagon Wheels
Cog Wheels
Cart Wheels
Fly Wheels
Gear Wheels
Squeakie Wheels

Hi Notes
Lowe Notes
Crib/Cribb Notes
Swap Notes
Blue Notes
Compare Notes (perhaps with different spelling?)

And nothing for Matrix. JoAnn Gutenberg married Andy Bellum, so I don't need any names to go with Gutenberg (thank goodness!).

So, does anyone have any other suggestions for pun names?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 11:26 PM
Well, for what it's worth, I've made parents (Shh! It's a secret! Gonna be the 500 followers gift any week now.) and they're named:
Ringo Bellum
Carol Bellum
Rock Matrix
Crystal Matrix
Alli Knowe
Dun Know
Phil Thyme
Winter Thyme
Axel Wheels
Mag Wheels

Mad Poster
#15 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 11:58 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 18th Feb 2016 at 4:14 PM.
Well, for what it's worth, I've made parents (Shh! It's a secret! Gonna be the 500 followers gift any week now.).....

So exciting! :-D I was wondering earlier today what their parents would be like..... :-) And I guess that some people/sims(!) name their kids after relatives, right?!

As you may have gathered, I am still enthusiastically playing my Land Grant University (or Land Grant College, as it is in my game) and I'm really enjoying it (even though a sad thing happened whilst I was playing it today.....).

At the Annya Var Fruhm sorority Helen Wheels and Ida Juana Knowe were starting to really struggle financially. They were both keen to find work, but they just couldn't find jobs in the careers they were interested in. Money became so tight that, after Wagon Wheels became a child and went to stay with his Dad for the weekend, they moved to a smaller property. They have three bedrooms, which is enough for the three of them, and they can actually afford to pay the bills! On the day of the move Helen found a job in construction - she hopes to become an architect, but she guesses that she has to start somewhere! Ida is struggling to cope with the end of her relationship with Andy Bellum - she just can't accept that he's moved on and is a married man now, and not remotely interested in her advances. He's rejected her so many times they are no longer even friends - but she keeps trying! Helen's love life is much more successful, and she's currently dating dormie Luis Iana. Luis seems very fond of her, and Wagon likes him a lot. To be honest, though, Wagon likes everyone a lot - he's constantly interacting with the sims around him, whether they're related to him or not. He definitely gets on well with his extended family!

Hi Thyme and Damon Pythias spent a few days alone in the Naggard Annya Hoh fraternity house, during which time Hi Thyme was abducted by aliens - not once, not twice, but three times! He had quite a difficult pregnancy and was worried about being a single dad, so the now married Andy and JoAnn Bellum moved back in (along with Andy's half-alien son, Post Bellum) to help out. Andy was willing to help Hi with his baby, when it was born, and also hoped to have a baby with his wife! But then tragedy struck when Hi gave birth to half-alien triplets Stitchin, Spring and Summer Thyme - and then died during the birth. Andy and JoAnn will now be raising the three little ones alongside Post (and Wagon, who comes round a lot and is currently staying with them for the weekend). It's going to be hard work, but Wagon and Post are both children (Post had a great birthday party!), so they can take care of themselves to some extent, at least. Damon is not thrilled about living with so many children - his main aim is to persuade his fiancé Cliff Notes to tie the knot, and if they do so he will definitely move in with Cliff and his friends!

The Nerdists all found jobs as scientists shortly after moving into their new home. Sara Bellum and Cliff Notes are both very happy with their careers, but Hugh Knowe would love to become a teacher and set up a small school, to educate the children who are now being born in the Land Grant area. And one of those children is his - he just gave birth to a little girl, Ai Knowe, after being abducted by aliens. Sara, despite her Family secondary, has shown no interest in taking things further with Hugh, starting a family with him or indeed even dating him - they get on well, but they're not even in a relationship, let alone engaged and on a possible path towards marriage and babies....

The Printer Sisters household became pretty hectic after Andy Bellum moved in. With four adults, two dogs and (not long after Andy moved in) his half-alien son, Post Bellum, living in the house there was always a lot going on! The day after Post was born Andy and JoAnn threw a wedding party and got married. They lived with JoAnn's band-mates for long enough for Post to become a toddler, but then they moved back in with Hi and Damon. Daisy Wheels and Dot Matrix couldn't afford the bills on their unnecessarily large home, so they downsized to a smaller house near to the river. They're both working now - Daisy's still a journalist and Dot opted to become a dancer - and they are very busy outside of work too. Well, Dot is, anyway - she's working hard on her robotics skill and has been dating dormie Gerry Manders. They're now in a relationship, and he seems to be taking things pretty seriously - after their second date, when she asked him to be her "boyfriend" (and they woohoo'd for the first time) he gave her a magnificent gift - the antique piano that used to belong to his grandma! Dot is excited about the future - and so is Daisy, though she's not up to much outside of work, apart from spending time with her dogs, Cleo and Rover.

At the Roseland's place Cyd Roseland married ex-dormie Sue Casa. Shortly afterwards their daughter Cindy was born. Cyd is still working hard making robots and selling them online, whilst working as a paramedic in the evenings, and Sue got a job in politics after she graduated. She is very interested in the environment and nature, and hopes to be able to influence policies that will help protect the world for her daughter's future. They have purchased a small plot of land in Three Lakes and hope to go camping there when Cindy is older - though Sue is also keen to have another baby!

(Now I'm toying with the idea of having Phil and Winter Thyme move to town and take in their triplet grandchildren. Or at least be around to be part of their lives....... Hurry up and reach 500 followers, Peni! :-P How many are you up to now?). Now that there are kiddies being born I've made a family tree, complete with pictures - and grandparents' names! :-D Part of it (the part with the alien abduction babies!) can be seen here as a picture.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 5:25 PM
I'm at 487 at the moment, and I've been averaging 30 new followers a month for a few months now; but the numbers don't advance that steadily, because some of the followers are pornbots or adbots that unfollow after a certain period of time. (At least, I tell myself it's pornbots and adbots when my numbers go down!). So give it a couple of weeks.

Fair warning: Some of them are really ugly! But others of them are cute enough to make up for it! And there was a certain amount of guessitude in the process, so they may or may not be capable of producing the offspring ascribed to them.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 5:31 PM
I'm at 487 at the moment, and I've been averaging 30 new followers a month for a few months now; but the numbers don't advance that steadily, because some of the followers are pornbots or adbots that unfollow after a certain period of time. (At least, I tell myself it's pornbots and adbots when my numbers go down!). So give it a couple of weeks.

Fair warning: Some of them are really ugly! But others of them are cute enough to make up for it! And there was a certain amount of guessitude in the process, so they may or may not be capable of producing the offspring ascribed to them.

*goes off to persuade 20 of my friends to make Tumblr accounts and follow Peni - and maybe take up simming whilst they're at it!*

I'm excited to see them! :-D Hi's parents would be very useful for me in terms of story right now, but the others would be fun to have - then I can add their pictures to the family tree! :-D (I love that family tree. I'm getting a bit obsessed with it!)

How come JoAnn and Cliff don't get parents?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 5:51 PM
They do, I just overlooked writing down Cliff's. They're Grace and Cash Notes.

Since Gutenberg is in fact impossible to pun (at least in English), her parents are just named Jane and John.

You have 20 friends? Wow.

Theorist
#19 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Post Bellum
Fla Bellum
La Bellum ...

Maybe if I understood it I could help with it, but I don't get it. Well, I did get Sara Bellum but none of the others.

Wagon Wheels
Cog Wheels
Cart Wheels
Fly Wheels
Gear Wheels
Squeakie Wheels...

This one I get Here's what I thought of on my drive home in traffic from my parents last night.
Steering Wheels
Big Wheels
Monster Wheels
Third Wheels
Fifth Wheels
Back Wheels
Front Wheels
Flat Wheels
Spare Wheels

Hi Notes
Lowe Notes
Crib/Cribb Notes
Swap Notes
Blue Notes
Compare Notes (perhaps with different spelling?)...

Music Notes
Passing Notes
Love Notes
Scribbled Notes
Mad Poster
#20 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 7:26 PM
The key to punning is to not restrict yourself by meaning, only by sound. Antebellum means "before the war," which is not the same usage of the sound as cerebellum, but is close enough to "Andy" for me to make a name. Ringo and Carol Bellum, however, are using the sound of the English word "bell" - bells ring, and at Christmas time we can hear the Carol of the Bells. A flabellum is a metal fan, and a labellum is part of a flower.

Puns are probably the easiest humor to lose. Shakespeare used them a lot, which got lost when pronunciation changes, which is why literature departments in straitlaced communities never have a problem with the teaching of works that are full of bawdy jokes - the people who would object to them, don't get them.

Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#21 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 8:47 PM

Peni, don't be too hard to yourself. I actually like your sims you consider are ugly. When I create sims, I always try to create ugly sims. Then they look more unique than normal nice-looking sims. In the past, I made sure that everyone in my neighborhood looked nice and if one of them was ugly, I killed that sim off before that sim had offsprings. I know I was a terrible simmer.

But now, I don't do that. So all the ugly sims that are in my game are safe now. I find it a bit boring to have a neighborhood, full of sims with the 1st face template. That's how my sims in my neighborhood(s) used to look like.
Your Widespot neighborhood inspired me in creating and playing unique-looking sims and not sims made of default templates without any face alterations. That's why I changed my gameplay style.

Now that Land Grant University got uploaded and approved. I'd like to play a new copy of Widespot and Land Grant University attached to it.
I didn't do much with the sims in the playtest. I'm more familiar with the lots than with the sims. So I don't know much about the sims themselves. But I'd like to get to know them soon.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
#22 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 8:52 PM
Oh, I like 'em ugly! I didn't have to leave the parents the way they are. But Ringo Bellum is gonna have some bad first reactions, is all.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 10:13 PM
Peni, given that Hi comes from Drama Acres originally, is there any chance we could beg you enough to package up his daughters as well as his folks? I'm sure there's some lovely social worker out there who'd be just delighted to drop off such sweet little girls at Daddy's doorstep so he can get a taste of fatherhood!

Mad Poster
#24 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 11:03 PM
He's a little young for that yet! This is an AU Hi. But if there's popular demand, I'll consider it.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 12:50 AM
He's a little young for that yet! This is an AU Hi. But if there's popular demand, I'll consider it.

But he'll graduate . . . and I'm sure he'll sew some wild oats downtown in the mean time!

Page 1 of 2