Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 1:00 PM
Default The Sims Complete Collection - Disable expansion packs
Sul sul!

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable or remove expansions from the Complete Collection? I'm wanting to remove Makin' Magic

I've tried to find information on this but haven't had any luck.

Hope some old Sims 1 expert can offer some advice.

Thanks
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 1:18 PM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 2nd Apr 2017 at 1:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by oldlama
Hope some old Sims 1 expert can offer some advice.
...There are so many things I could say! I'll simply admit to being old, although that's always relative because there is always someone older and I'm not done with my life yet, so why am I acting old before my time? Also, I have played Sims 1 since 2000, which makes me an old player, although not necessarily an expert.
Quote: Originally posted by oldlama
Sul sul!
Nice touch!

As to your question, I don't really know, but I wonder what would happen if you went into the program files (they're under Maxis) and pulled the ones related to that expansion? Would it upset the apple cart? If you were to try it, you might want to first copy the entire Maxis folder and put it somewhere safe, like your desktop.

I feel that @Inge Jones would know how to answer this.

What is it about Makin' Magic that you want to get rid of? If it's the gifts your Sims get when they move to a new place, you can always just delete those and enjoy the extra cash (or use cheats to get rid of the cash or simply purchase trees and delete them). I can't think of ways the Sims will behave differently with Makin' Magic when they are in their own neighborhood.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2017 at 3:05 AM
Thanks @VerDeTerre for your quick response,

After a fresh re-install I did actually try removing the folders 'expansion 6' and 'expansion 7' (I was trying to remove superstar too) but found when I launched the game that they were still active and only the some wall papers and stuff were missing from a lot I opened in the makin' magic neighbourhood.

As for what my issue is with MM, I don't even know where to begin. It just all got a bit too zany for my liking, and I would prefer to just have it all scrubbed from the game rather than ignore it. Having extra money from deleting the magic gifts isn't a positive for me, I like to play with no cheats most of the time and a little money injection from selling those objects breaks the natural progression of the game.

Anyway, still hoping someone out there can help me (anyone else who is after the same information in future), otherwise I might have to just swallow the magical pill and soldier on.
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 11:14 PM
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims...lete_Collection

According to this site, it's an "all or nothing" installation. Sorry, you seem to be out of luck :-/
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 5:12 PM
I also have Complete Collection and can confirm it's an "all or nothing" installer. (Literally; insert disc 1, press install to start the installer which directs you when to install each additional disc.) If another version of Sims 1 is already installed, it will simply install over the top of the previous installation and add all expansions to any and all existing neighborhoods.

When I played it regularly, there were quite a few Sims that I didn't use pets, magic, or the celebrity expansions with (and they don't have "wants" like other Sims games so they don't complain about not being a magician a pet for example).

Also, thanks to the above poster for the link; I had to refresh my memory as to what the EPs were.
Livin' Large and House Party: Both add either additional items, features and/or career tracks to the game.
Hot Date: added Downtown and the long term relationship meter. Downtown can be ignored by not calling the taxi to go downtown.
Vacation: added Vacation Island. Can be ignored by not calling the travel service to go on vacation.
Unleashed: expanded the neighborhood, pets and Old Town. Added some career tracks as well. Can't be totally ignored. There is a 'no pets' sign that can be added to lots to deal with strays and neighbors pets that seem to hang out on lots all day.
Superstar: added Studio Town. Can be partially ignored by not calling for a ride there. Also, the newspaper delivery girl will deliver the "Studio Town Insider" every morning along with the newspaper. For Sims that aren't interested, I remember that there's no other 'junk mail' in the game and direct them to throw it away.
Makin' Magic: added Magic Town and magic. Can be partially ignored by not going to Magic Town and not using the items in "a Mysterious Package." (I also remembered that, at least in Ultimate Collection, the package can be deleted in build/buy mode before opening it without adding Simoleons. Be sure to act fast, though, because Sims can open the package autonomously.)

Also, while writing this, I have another tip for anyone thinking "wow, that's helpful because I was thinking of playing Sims 1 again or a "Playing Sims 1 for the first time in 2017" sort of thing, I know I don't want to bother with several of the expansions though." And that tip is if someone really wants to avoid certain expansions they should look for copies of the base game and any expansions they are interested in. It might cost more and/or be more time-consuming however it would also mean avoiding game features someone won't like.