Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 2:55 AM
Default Good laptops for recording?
I need to get a new computer since mine is actively falling apart (I have to run a fan on it all the time or else it overheats) and I'm very tech-unsavvy. But I'd like to get into game videos and my current rig isn't cutting it because when I run the recorder (xSplit) everything lags.

I don't plan on playing any current AAA games, but Sims 3 is the perfect thing for me to get going on. So an "older" game like that, what would be a good system to get? And yes I would like to keep it laptop (I value portability and I know that desktops give higher performance but it's something I'd rather have).
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 10:52 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 31st Jul 2016 at 5:55 PM.
One thing to keep in mind is that to simply run TS3, you don't need too great a computer. But to run it well, you're gonna have to spend a good amount of cash even today. I have a GTX 960 here, that's a $200 video card, and since I want a constant 60 frames per second on the highest settings, this about the cheapest card that can do that. You'll have to spend at least 800 dollars on your laptop. Desktops are considerably cheaper and you can also put them together yourself. It's great fun, I recommend doing it even if you're a total noob. I mean, just go around asking people for help. For those 800 dollars, you could either have a good laptop or a great desktop.

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
If you get a SSD and it is large enough, I suggest using Frap since it does min compression.

I don't think one Frap will suffice. Ideally you'll want 60 Fraps, but 30 is good too. I find that having only one Frap running makes for very choppy videos.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 7:14 AM
Oh god I'm already lost. I don't really care about frames per second as long as they're relatively smooth and consistent. 30 sounds good--isn't that what TVs run at? But things like "Frap"? GTX? AMD?

I had some major issue with Open Broadcaster but right now I can't remember what it was. It didn't FUNCTION at all though--like it wouldn't even run at all. But I don't recall the specific thing that made it so bricked. It was something about it lacking a basic option though.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 7:03 PM
What about ts4 instead?
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 9:18 PM
4 doesn't look interesting to me, honestly.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 9:40 PM
Gonna be honest with you I don't know what most of those words mean. "i7"? "hyperthreaded"?
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 10:15 PM
All right...so then I would just take these specs in when I go shopping?

And how much money are we talking? I'm in the United States.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
All right...so then I would just take these specs in when I go shopping?

And how much money are we talking? I'm in the United States.

I think it might be easier if you say what your budget is. If you can spend $2000, then you'll find tons of great gaming laptops. If you can only spend $500, well...not so much.

Also, since you mentioned "go shopping," were you planning to go to a physical store? I don't know what Best Buy is like where you are, but every one I've been to is useless for gaming laptops, so don't bother. If you have a Fry's and really want to go shopping in person, you'll have a better selection there. The best selection will be online, though.
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 11:11 PM
Man, this is so complicated. I think I should have enough information now though, so thanks!