Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Dec 2012 at 9:54 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Genie Midlock's thumbnail...
In my game, Genie Midlock appears with a wrong thumbnail... basically, he haves a purple skin and a special genie outfit in the thumbnail. But in mine, he wears human clothes but his head is purple already..

I can remember how I tried to add him into my household (with the Tombstone L and D from a cheat) after I did that, he wears human clothes in the thumbnail...which is annoying me a lot...

How can I fix it?

Thank you very much!

Jawusa
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 26th Dec 2012 at 8:03 AM
Not sure about the thumbnail , but that's not an NPC that is safe to marry or move in. The thread here http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...25#startcomment talks about what types of sims are safe to marry/ move in and what types aren't. If you look at post 56 in that thread ( by Mootilda) , you will see that the Genie is placed in the unsafe list , because it is part of the objects package and not a true sim.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Dec 2012 at 4:43 PM
Thank you for the list of unsave and save NPC... It's a very useful and a helpful list of NPCs.

but how can I fix it now?
I mean the thumbnail..
Site Helper
#4 Old 26th Dec 2012 at 7:00 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 26th Dec 2012 at 7:13 PM.
I'm afraid that your game installation (objects.package) has probably been corrupted. In addition, your neighborhood is probably corrupted as well.

Updating the thumbnail may just corrupt your installation even more.

That said, I know that there's a way to update a thumbnail (<ctrl> <click>?), but I've never used it. Someone else may know what it is. Note that we do not recommend that you continue playing this game, until you've restored your objects.package and made it read-only.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Dec 2012 at 7:06 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 28th Dec 2012 at 8:34 PM.
Thank you for the reply Mootilda

This issue (thumbnail) appeared after I tried to add the genie into the household. Later he disappeared and now carries a wrong thumbnail with human clothes but with a purple head and a genie hat.

But how can I restore my game files ? (objects.package)
I have no idea cuz I don't know what to do exactly...

Can someone help me? :-)
Site Helper
#6 Old 27th Dec 2012 at 8:43 PM
Here's a FAQ:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Objects.package

Note that you should probably try patching your game again, since most of the patches affect the objects.package.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 12:26 PM
I'm afraid to do that.. (Don't ask why)

I decided to deinstall my whole game and install it again. I think that's better.

Thanks again for replying!

Now I never do the same thing again after I reinstalled the game.
Thanks for the help anyway. :-)
Site Helper
#8 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 1:59 PM
Personally I would be more afraid of a reinstall than of copying a file off a disc and pasting it over the version on my hard drive. A reinstall takes longer and you have to worry about -all- the discs still being readable and not having misplaced a code. But I'm glad it worked for you.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 5:58 PM
OMG,

After I reinstall my whole game I thinked the game files should be uncorrupted yet. Later after I got a genie lamp to test it, the thumbnail is still the same!!!

My game files aren't corrupted because it's inpossible... the game doesn't create corrupted game files (this would be horrible...)

Edit: I wish 3 times to resurrect a relative and there all failed. I think it was randomly... (There're zombies now but I don't saved because I don't want three zombies in my household)

But why it failed three times (wishes)? and why the thumbnail is still the same after I restore my game files?

Please, I need help!
Site Helper
#10 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 7:42 PM
Are you using a brand new neighborhood, or the original neighborhood that had the problem?
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 8:31 PM
It must be a new town because I delete the Sims 2 folder and the game generated a new one.

What I did is:

I created a custom neighborhood, written the cheat "deleteAllCharcters" and generated new NPCs and Townies (with the cheat boolprop testingcheatsenabled true)

Later I add all subhoods also the hidden-subhoods... and wanted to test it with Malcom Landgraab IV (it's a sim who lives in Bluewater Village...) Later the genie-delivery-woman came to bring me the genie lamp...

I rub the genie lamp and Genie Midlock appears with a wrong thumbnail again...

I don't think that I deleted the genie because he is stored in the objects.package,right?

Again thanks for replaying Mootilda!
You help me a LOT! Thank you :-)
Site Helper
#12 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 8:44 PM
Unfortunately, the "deleteAllCharacters" cheat will corrupt your neighborhood. You shouldn't use it. You might want to read this article to familiarize yourself with some of these hood corruption issues.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

A much better way to get rid of all of the unwanted townies is to install empty templates.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,13382.0.html

If you do this, your newly created custom neighborhood will start off empty. If you install all of the no-regen mods, the game won't generate any new townies, either.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...268#post3644268

That said, I doubt that's your problem. I don't have any other ideas at this time. Perhaps someone else will have a thought about why this is happening.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Dec 2012 at 1:59 PM
Ok, I send a LOT of hours to do that.. now I have a uncorrupted neighborhood.

But knows someone what to do?
I mean the issue with the wrong thumbnail of the genie?

Thank you

Jawusa
Site Helper
#14 Old 29th Dec 2012 at 3:01 PM
This probably isn't the case, either, but have you cleared the caches? It's possible that his thumbnail is cached, although one would think that the caches would have been removed with a reinstall.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Dec 2012 at 8:33 PM
Ok, I deleted the cache files and now wants to test it out.

I come back if it doesn't help but I think it helps

Thank you for the reply Ghost sdoj
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th Dec 2012 at 2:29 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't help. The thumbnail is still the same... :/
Site Helper
#17 Old 30th Dec 2012 at 7:35 PM
Which caches did you delete/ Specifically, did you delete the FamilyThumbnails.package in your save game Thumbnails subfolder for your neighborhoods?
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 31st Dec 2012 at 3:51 PM
I delete the Accessoires.cache and the Groups.cache.

Did I something wrong?
Site Helper
#19 Old 31st Dec 2012 at 4:40 PM
No, those are both reasonable files to delete. Just try deleting the other package that I mentioned. It will also regenerate.

We don't really know why this is happening, so we're getting you to try various things which may or may not help.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 3rd Jan 2013 at 9:15 AM
I can't believe it...
it doesn't work again :/
Site Helper
#21 Old 10th Jan 2013 at 1:06 PM
When you reinstalled, what did you do with the saved game where the genie is living in the lot?

Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 8:22 PM
I don't 'save' my save game files..
it is like i'm playing Sims 2 for first the time..