Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 4:13 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Late Night, Generations
Default How do I open a Linux Auto Package file on Windows 10???:
I'm trying to get Mods for my Sims 3 game and some CC but it is not working because all the Mods files and some of the CC are all Linux Auto Package Files and my computer applications will not open it. I used File Viewer Plus and the rar open app but nothing works! File Info.com says the only thing that can open it is Linux. I have searched and I cannot find how to get Linux to open this package file on Windows! PLEASE HELP IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 5:15 AM
Start Here: Installing Sims 3 Package Files. If it's a .package file, you place it into your mods folder (as prescribed in the link above). You don't double click it. That won't do anything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 5:34 AM
Default Tried it
Quote: Originally posted by simb0t
Start Here: Installing Sims 3 Package Files. If it's a .package file, you place it into your mods folder (as prescribed in the link above). You don't double click it. That won't do anything.

Thank you but I know how to install Mods, that is not the issue. The issue is with Linux and how to open it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 6:24 AM Last edited by igazor : 8th Feb 2017 at 6:44 AM.
Linux is an operating system, not a program. It's an alternative to Windows.

When you view such a file in Win 10 with extensions showing, what is the file's extension? If it really is a .tar or .gz file (or something similar) such as that might be created within Linux, then 7-zip might be able to decompress it. If it's something entirely different, Windows might not be identifying the file properly. It's not usual for TS3 mods and CC to be distributed that way at all.
http://7-zip.org

If it's a .package file already, then it doesn't matter what Windows thinks it is. The file association Windows is making could call it Adobe Acrobat files, Excel spreadsheets, or 8mm movies, doesn't matter to the game and it's ready to use as is, as long as it's .package on the extension and it really is TS3 content you've got there. If you really want a file association that makes sense for .package files, then install a package editor program like S3PE or NRaas Packer and use that for the association. But it really isn't necessary to do that just to use a correctly made .package file in the game whether it be a mod or CC. The game will know what to do with it even if Windows can't figure out what it is.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMONEGA
Thank you but I know how to install Mods, that is not the issue. The issue is with Linux and how to open it.

Mods/CC aren't linux auto package files though. Once you have the framework in place, you just drop the .package file in your mods directory. If the file you downloaded is a compressed archive, follow the instructions one post above.

Unless you mean you're trying to install mods on linux? Or, it's something different? Can you link to an example mod/package file you're trying to install?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 5:24 PM
Your computer is just confused, OP: TS3 and Linux Autopackage both call their files the same thing (.package), and your computer isn't smart enough to know the difference. Just put the files in Mods/Packages, they'll work fine.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.