Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 3:43 PM
Default Cultural center for Moonlight Falls
I am currently doing a makeover of Moonlight Falls to give it a modern medieval style and I found a beautiful lot on the Dragon Valley creation sharing thread called "O'Connell conservatory of music". Alas, I can't download it so I decided to recreate it in my makeover with some change. I am almost over with the shell of the building but have troubles with a part of the back of the building (the one with no paint in the 2nd picture). This building is supposed to replace the library and become the cultural center of the town.
So if anyone could give me some advices on this because I am not a very good builder.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 5:33 AM
Hi Allie95
It looks great so far. I think it would help us help you if you described what you want in that back area, what purpose would it serve? What else is going to be included in the lot?

Technically, this forum is for creations that will be uploaded to the site eventually. If that is your plan- great, you are in the right place. If you want suggestions and feedback, I want to suggest joining the group that is linked in my signature. We have lots of great builders able and willing to assist. Either way, I'll check back.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 8:05 AM
Thank you for your answer.
I plan to maybe upload the medieval lots of my new Moonlight Falls when they will be done if some people are interest. Sorry if I got in the wrong place with this post.
This lot will have a lot of things and I don't know if it should be a kind of a tower at the back in the blank space or if I should leave it as a hole like it is now.
1st floor: - Library space
- Children space
- Cafeteria
- Computer room
2nd floor:
- Invention space
- Sculpting space
- Painting space
- Music space
-Dance space (maybe not entirely sure because of the gym)
3rd floor:
- Magic space
- A bedroom with a bathroom for tired or homeless sim (already working on it)
Also on the lot I would like to put the vault of antiquities as it was with the original library.
The lot is the one of the original library, it is 30*40 and next to the park that will either stay as a park or become a sort of a Diagon Alley with alchemy and pet shops, little inn or restaurant, consignement store and beauty salon.
Scholar
#4 Old 1st May 2017 at 12:53 PM
I'd turn the empty space out back into some sort of paved courtyard. Something that connects the main building to the Vault of Antiquity. Not sure what to do with the courtyard itself, either chuck in the coffee stand if you have University for some kind of little alfresco cafe cart. Maybe some chess tables and a statue or something.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st May 2017 at 3:46 PM
I like the idea of the paved courtyard, I will try it in my next session.
Unfortunately I don't have university, the ep's I have are ambition, generation, pets and supernaturals. I tought about putting a big tree in the middle of the courtyard but none of them seem to fit.
Here is a picture of the ensuite on the 3rd floor, it's only furnished and I didn't CAS yet. I tried to used supernatural items that look the same.
I also started the exterior on the street side but I have a problem with the lights, should I use invisible lights for the upstairs floors?
One last thing: the little monument at the foot of the corner light is better with or without the fence?
Screenshots
Scholar
#6 Old 2nd May 2017 at 3:00 AM
Nice job with furnishing the bedroom/bathroom upstairs! I might suggest a door without windows for the bathroom. Just my opinion but I think that you have more outdoor lights than are necessary. Maybe put something short in between the benches, if you feel it is necessary to have a light there. Or, the round light that sets into the ground. If you want lights for the outside on the upper floors you could use the invisible lights from buydebug. I'm not sure that they are really needed. I prefer the monument/market with the fence. However, I don't know that I would put a light there, too. Looking forward to updates!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 2nd May 2017 at 7:01 AM
I agree with Simmy, I would remove every other outdoor lamp post, and leave the fence around the monument but remove the lamp post. The exterior upper floors are fine like that, because in real life lights don't illuminate upper floors of buildings, but if you want lighting, the buydebug lights work.

A courtyard in the back is a good idea. Perhaps a fountain as the focal point?

The 3rd floor bedroom looks great!

New at Simszoo
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd May 2017 at 4:27 PM
Thank you all for your comments.
I changed the outdoor lights with smaller ones, and add fence's lights behind the benches.
I also finally styled the bedroom/bathroom, what do you think of it? I also changed the door to a plain one.
I am trying different things on the back of the building and I will show some of it after my next playing session.
I will also start the library part in the next session.
Screenshots
Scholar
#9 Old 4th May 2017 at 3:31 AM
Lights look better. Good job! I'd suggest for the bedroom to change some of the patterns and add another color or two. It's pretty unusual for the upholstery, wallpaper, rug, and bedspread to all be the same color and pattern. I like the wood tones.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th May 2017 at 1:44 PM
I really appreciate all of the comments, they really have helped me with this lot.
I change the patterns of the rug and the wallpaper, but I don't know which color to add.
The second picture show one of my many try to the back of the building, I'm happy with it but it looks like it has to many windows. On the left side, the original windows number and placement. On the right, a reduce number of windows. But I think I should put more doors to access the courtyard, is it a good idea?
And does the roof look ok?
Screenshots
Scholar
#11 Old 5th May 2017 at 1:41 AM
I like the different patterns! Here are some sites with color palettes if you want to add another color (but you wouldn't have to): https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/; http://paletton.com/#uid=1000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF; https://www.design-seeds.com/. There is only one picture of the back but I think it looks good. I don't see the need for more doors but you could add another, if needed by the floor plan, in between the single windows on the right side.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 5th May 2017 at 5:10 AM
Hi Allie
I logged in last night just to clarify my last post, but I guess it didn't post properly. When I said to remove every other lamp post, I meant to remove half of them, not all. For example, remove #1, keep #2, remove #3, keep #4, etc.

I love the carpet in the bedroom- it looks great. If you want to add another color, perhaps the bed fabric or the sofa can be a deep burgundy, or a solid gray, something that works with the greens and grays and the wood tones.

I like the left side with more windows. Since it is a public building, I would consider replacing some of the first floor windows with doors, since you usually want more access in a public space (and sims are dumb). It does depend on what is in the rooms, of course. Maybe decide the door question after you design more of the interior.

Oh and the roof looks really good!

New at Simszoo
Scholar
#13 Old 5th May 2017 at 5:48 AM
Oh sorry, I didn't understand that you were asking for opinions about the different windows on different sides of the building. Must be tired ... I too like the double windows on the left side.
Scholar
#14 Old 5th May 2017 at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Allie95
I like the idea of the paved courtyard, I will try it in my next session.
Unfortunately I don't have university, the ep's I have are ambition, generation, pets and supernaturals. I tought about putting a big tree in the middle of the courtyard but none of them seem to fit.

I'd just stick with outdoor skill activities then. A telescope, chess sets. For a big centrepiece a statue or fountain could work. If you want a tree, I'm thinking go for that sort of creepy, rural look Moonlight Falls has. Maybe a big oak (I think Ambitions has them) or one of the large dead rotting trees. (Ambitioons or Supernatural should have it.) Big enough to stand out, just as long as it isn't taking up the whole courtyard.

For the courtyard style I think something like what Midnight Hollows has could work:

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th May 2017 at 1:41 PM
Let's go for today's update!
I tried to recreate the fontain that was in the Midnight Hollow pictures and it really fits in. But I think I put too many lights again and I will remove the ones next to the double door.
I always put too much lights and/or windows on my buildings because I fear they wouldn't get enough light.
I also started the computer room in the library part. At first I wanted to place the desks on a circle put it didn't fit because of the curtains so I think this way is still good and it take the place in the room very well. I add a bookshelf next to the door because this part of the wall felt empty but on the other side of the door I don't know if I should put a statue or something.
I kept the same wall and floor covering, keeping the wood tone and changing the other pattern.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 5th May 2017 at 10:04 PM
I LOVE the fountain- really clever the way you recreated it with the fencing! For the lamp posts, maybe remove the ones on either side of the door and replace with sconces (wall lights) on either side of the door. You will get the same light, but a more subtle look.

The computer room looks a bit crowded. I like the desk arrangement, but it doesn't leave much room for routing around the desks. Can you enlarge the room, or perhaps try it without the two middle desks, so it's four desks, back to back?

It is really coming along quite nicely- great progress. Also, remember, all of these suggestions are just that. Do what you feel is best.

New at Simszoo
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th May 2017 at 8:04 AM
Sorry for not posting earlier but here it is.
I remove two desks in the computer room and tested the routing and it's ok.
I kept the four fountain lamp but put them differently and I think it's better this way, it give room for statues or something.
I put a restroom near the computer room and added a hallway to what will be the cafeteria. I don't know yet what will be in this hallway but I think something like a bit of an art gallery would be nice.
The restroom and hallway are not CAS yet, I am still searching which color would fit.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 14th May 2017 at 4:52 AM
I like all the changes you've made!

New at Simszoo
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th May 2017 at 1:25 PM
Since the beginning something was bothering me with this building and now I found what it was.
The exterior didn't really fit Moonlight Falls so I change the walls covering and tried to replace the custom content with base game and EP's things.
So far the only CC is from TSR and is the supernatural single door at the back.
In the back courtyard I also change the placement of the benches and put the supernatural chess tables around the fountain.
The only problem is at the front, I'm not very good with landscaping and I can't find for now bushes, trees and flower that could fit.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th May 2017 at 5:06 PM
Let's go for today's update!
I changed all of the colors schemes and patterns of the rooms already made and I think it's a lot more nicer than it was.
On the ground floor I only have to do the library part, the cafeteria and the art hallway.
I started to do the park and community garden next to the centre and I want to know what you think of it. I tried to keep up with the medieval/country feel.
Screenshots
Scholar
#21 Old 18th May 2017 at 4:55 AM
I like the colors you've used for the community center! Good job! The park looks wonderful! I believe you're keeping with the medieval style.