Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 1:27 PM Last edited by _Sprinklett_ : 13th Sep 2005 at 12:02 AM.
Default **Tutorial~How to Package, Take Screenshots of, and Upload Your Sim~**
:frog: Greetings! :frog:
I am a constant uploader of Sims on the MTS2, and have decided to do this tutorial because it seems that there are a lot of wonderful artists out there that just aren't receiving the right guidance or help to be able to share their work...so if you are one of those artists, here's a simple tutorial to help you.

Packaging Your Sim

This step comes after creating your Sim. You've noted all of the custom content creators so that you can give credit to them in the thread you are going to create.

Mmk...so here's how it goes!
Steps

1. Open bodyshop and build your sim. Hit the check mark when you are finished.

2. Now hit the X at the bottom of the screen and go back in to "Build and package sims" But this time select "Package Sims"

3. Select the Sim you wish to package. Click the right-hand arrow for more Sims to package (all Sims must have been built in body shop, no townies/in-game Sims will be present there).

4. Once you have selected the Sim you wish to package, click the Sim in a box icon on the very bottom right hand of your screen.

5. Enter a file name at the top, You can name your sim here. You may give a brief description if you wish, naming the custom content creators, or describing your Sim.

6. Your file will be saved onto your desktop as a sims2pack. For easier uploading and downloading purposes you can now right click on your packaged sim file and chose to compress the file. When you right click, select the option "add to archive" and select zip or rar depending on which program you use. This will create a package on your desktop all nicely compressed.

7. Okay, you've packaged your Sim, now it's time to take some screenshots! (And make them smile for the camera!)

How to Package Born In-Game Sims

Can be done two ways...

1-If you have SimPE you may use the sim surgery option to create a clone of your sim.

Quote: Originally Posted by pinhead
Just to add a little observation:
To package your sim: When using SimPE's sim surgery export (to bring born ingame sims to bodyshop), make sure to clone the exported sim first and only package the clone that you create. Never package the original exported sim
or all the custom contents will not be add to the sims2pack file.

Thanks pinhead!

2-You can also take your born in game sim to an empty lot. Package the whole lot. This will include the sim. Then you can use the Clean Installer to open the package and delete the lot.

More info on packaging in game sims can be found around the site.
If you need more help or guidance on this matter:
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
You need to read this FAQ for in-game born Sims:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=72235

Taking Screenshots

1.Go into the game and select the build a sim or CAS button.

2. Youll see a small icon, above where you name your sims, that looks like three sims standing in a row. This is the "Premade" sim button. Make sure you are on the same gender and age as the sim you just built in body shop. If it is a teen female, make sure you select the female gender icon and teen for age group. Now click the "Premade Sim" button. You should see all of the sims from body shop here. Select the one you want.

3. Then, move the Sim from your family bin into any house, no furnishing is required.

4. Once your Sim is in the house, pause the game and take a close-up snapshot of your Sim. You can get extreme close ups and unique photos by using the camera mode.

To do this... get close to your sim and hit the TAB key on your keyboard. (I prefer to do this with the game paused) You can use your mouse to perfect the angle that you need, or to spin the camera around. Your + and - keys will zoom you in and out and Q and E will move you higher and lower to the ground as needed. When you size up the frame and it looks good hit the C on your keyboard. Then hit tab to return to normal mode.

**Strike a Pose!**
Flower Pose: Make your Sim watch clouds. Once they sit down use move_objects on to move them into the patch of flowers. This makes for a great aerial or side picture.

If you place two sims on a lot and have them converse, tell jokes or any other interaction, you can get great screenshots of their facial expressions. Just hit pause and zoom in as they laugh or cry.

6. Hit save and Exit the Sims 2/ University game, and then go to your documents and find EA GAMES. If you have more than one EA Game, click the Sims 2 or Sims University folder.

7. Your pictures will be found in one of two locations-

For those of you with only the original game - go to My documents/Ea Games/Sims 2/Storytelling

For those of you with University- go to My documents/Ea Games/Sims 2/Neighborhoods/N001/Storytelling

(replace the n001 with the coresponding number for your neighborhood. The ones that came with the game are one two and three in the order they appear in the neighborhood selection screen.
Make note of where your photos are.... Now its time to upload.

UPLOADING

1. Go to the downloads forum and find the appropriate category your sim belongs in. If youve created a celebrity it belongs in celebrity sims, If it is just a generic pretty sim then it belongs in other.

2. Scroll down the page to the "New Thread" button.

3: In the upper box you can post your description of your sim here. This is a very important step. ***** IT IS IMPERITAVE, If you use any custom content, You need to make sure first that the sites you download from, allow their content to be redistributed or recolored and included with your sim.
If they do NOT, You will have to remake your sim with maxis content or your own creations. You must also make sure at this point that you have collected a LINK for each piece of content you used.******** You will find a list of sites beneath your description box that strictly forbid any file sharing to help you out. Post the appropriate links for all custom content you have permission to use. IN addition to this, please make sure that you add to your description a note to let downloaders know if you've used no custom content or if youve created your own. Be specific in your description.

4. Now on this page you will see a "manage attchments" button. This is how you submit your files. Hit that button and a new window will pop up.
There are 4 available slots at a time for you to upload files. Hit the browse button and navigate to your desktop to your packaged sim file. (sims2pack, rar or zip)
The next 3 spaces you can do the same but you will navigate to your story telling folder and select the pictures you want to submit as well.

5. Once youve filled all 4 boxes hit the upload button and wait for the files to transfer through. The window will refresh and youll see a list of attached images below the upload button and your 4 boxes will now be empty again. You can chose to add more photos now if you like.

6. Now you can hit the "submit thread" button on the page where you wrote the sims description.

If you are uploading a sim, house, clothing or what not, please take note that these items do require a moderators approval. You will be sent a Private Message to let you know whether your post has been done properly and your contribution has met the site standards.

For tips on how to take good photos please visit the following link for some great tricks and hints.
Screenshots 101

Before you upload be sure you have read over the Creator Guidelines to ensure your upload will be accepted.
Approval guidelines

Well, I hope that helps any confused Mod the Simmers out there! If you have any questions or concerns, please look at the Troubleshooting Section of this tutorial, located at the bottom. Thanks a bunch!

_Sprinklett _

Note: PLEASE DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE WITHOUT CREDIT TO _Sprinklett_
P.S. A great thanks to Lyriclee for perfecting this tutorial!

Ah, what we all love...Troubleshooting.

Problem One:
For some reason on my computer whenever I try to add pictures to my sims that I have created it never lets me....It has something with the type of photo mine just happens to be .bmp is there anyway to change that so that I can post pictures?

A:Just open the picture (usually just double click on the image) in your photo editing program and this time choose "Save As" and pick the .jpg (jpeg) file format. Now you will have two pictures, one that is bitmap(.bmp) and one that is jpeg, just be sure to upload the .jpg when you post your pictures.

Problem Two:

If in my sim there's a thing, for example hair, which i made by myself or downloaded do i have to pack only hair and then when somebody want to download my sim, does he must first download this hair and then all sim? or do i only have to pack all sim whithout packing different parts of sim? sorry for my bad english!

A: The entire Sim, with custom content, will be in the same package together. When someone downloads your Sim and they go to install it the entire contents of your package will appear as a list of what is in the package with the Sim. The list will show the hair, make-up, clothes and anything else that is custom. If it is a Maxis only Sim then only one item will be in the package - the Sim itself. There will be a checked box by each item listed. If the person does not want certain things, then they just uncheck the box and that item will not be installed.

Keep in mind if they don't have the custom mesh, they may not be able to use your custom content. If they choose not to keep the hair or clothing, the Sim will appear in Body Shop or CAS as bald, or in default clothing or under garments. That is one reason why it is so important to get permission from the creator before you package their custom content and to give proper credit for any custom content you use. If a hair mesh is needed tell them exactly where to find the mesh and include the website address where you obtained the mesh. There is more about this in the Creator Forum guidelines here and here.

If it is your own content, then you can provide the mesh file in your post along with the package file, or a link to where you have it. Otherwise, instead of custom hair, your nice Sim will be wearing a rabbit head and instead of custom clothes they will be wearing Maxis default black pants. There may be a way to package your own mesh with the Sim, but I do not know how this is done. Maybe someone else will see this and can tell you how. Usually you just post it as a separate file for download or give a link to where it is located. I hope this makes sense and helps you.

Thanks much to HeartDeco for these wonderful Troubleshooting answers!!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 5:43 PM
Hi!

Just to add a little observation:

To package your sim:
When using SimPE's sim surgery export (to bring born ingame sims to bodyshop), make sure to clone the exported sim first and only package the clone that you create. Never package the original exported sim or all the custom contents will not be add to the sims2pack file.

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 4:13 AM
For some reason on my computer whenever I try to add pictures to my sims that I have created it never lets me....It has something with the type of photo mine just happens to be .bmp is there anyway to change that so that I can post pictures?
Test Subject
#4 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 9:00 AM
Huge thank you!
I did it!!!!!
Nattysims
Test Subject
#5 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 10:27 PM
Default help!
hi, i have made a sim on the game and not on bodyshop, how can i package this sim - or do i have to start him all over again on bodyshop?
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rej_loves_sims
hi, i have made a sim on the game and not on bodyshop, how can i package this sim - or do i have to start him all over again on bodyshop?

You need to read this FAQ for in-game born Sims:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=72235
Test Subject
#7 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 11:46 PM
Default thanks
Yeh it worked! thanks a lot
Test Subject
#8 Old 17th Aug 2005 at 7:24 PM
hey, i'm from poland and my english isnt very good, but i hope you'll understand me...
if in my sim there's a thing, for example hair, which i made by myself or downloaded do i have to pack only hair and then when somebody want to download my sim, does he must first download this hair and then all sim? or do i only have to pack all sim whithout packing different parts of sim? sorry for my bad english! :P
Test Subject
#9 Old 4th Sep 2005 at 1:36 AM
how do i compress the file?When i right click all it says is send to or open with...
Instructor
#10 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tokyopop1184

Just open the picture (usually just double click on the image) in your photo editing program and this time choose "Save As" and pick the .jpg (jpeg) file format. Now you will have two pictures, one that is bitmap(.bmp) and one that is jpeg, just be sure to upload the .jpg when you post your pictures.

HeartDeco
Instructor
#11 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 10:55 AM Last edited by HeartDeco : 9th Sep 2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: to add links
Quote: Originally posted by tamtooh
hey, i'm from poland and my english isnt very good, but i hope you'll understand me...
if in my sim there's a thing, for example hair, which i made by myself or downloaded do i have to pack only hair and then when somebody want to download my sim, does he must first download this hair and then all sim? or do i only have to pack all sim whithout packing different parts of sim? sorry for my bad english! :P

Tamtooh,

The entire Sim, with custom content, will be in the same package together. When someone downloads your Sim and they go to install it the entire contents of your package will appear as a list of what is in the package with the Sim. The list will show the hair, make-up, clothes and anything else that is custom. If it is a Maxis only Sim then only one item will be in the package - the Sim itself. There will be a checked box by each item listed. If the person does not want certain things, then they just uncheck the box and that item will not be installed.

Keep in mind if they don't have the custom mesh, they may not be able to use your custom content. If they choose not to keep the hair or clothing, the Sim will appear in Body Shop or CAS as bald, or in default clothing or under garments. That is one reason why it is so important to get permission from the creator before you package their custom content and to give proper credit for any custom content you use. If a hair mesh is needed tell them exactly where to find the mesh and include the website address where you obtained the mesh. There is more about this in the Creator Forum guidelines here and here.

If it is your own content, then you can provide the mesh file in your post along with the package file, or a link to where you have it. Otherwise, instead of custom hair, your nice Sim will be wearing a rabbit head and instead of custom clothes they will be wearing Maxis default black pants. There may be a way to package your own mesh with the Sim, but I do not know how this is done. Maybe someone else will see this and can tell you how. Usually you just post it as a separate file for download or give a link to where it is located. I hope this makes sense and helps you.

HeartDeco
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 12:04 AM
Thanks to all the great people who have kept this tutorial up-to-date! I just haven't had time to check on it constantly because I am sooo busy most of the time.

A special thanks to HeartDeco.

_Sprinklett_
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 8:37 AM
hey, thanks for this thread. if i use the method to package an in-game sim, will there skill points, interests, aspirations, etc. be packaged with them as well? if not, is there a way to do that so that one can upload a complete character rather than something that is strictly aesthetic? thanks again.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 12:57 AM
I tried cloning my in-game born Sims, and apparently it worked out fine, but when I loaded bodyshop, the sims weren't there! Why is that? Please help, I really want to upload some of my darlings to modthesims!
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:20 AM
And how to you provide links to all these sites? Do you save ALL the webpages that you download from so you can link back to it later when you upload? Sorry for the dumb question but I forget where I download from. I just see something that I like and download it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 2:39 PM
Yes kasi, I, personally, write down all of the custom content as I apply it in bodyshop. It's much easier that way. And, to think that somebody won't notice is just foolish. Surely somebody will, and make a huge deal out of it, leading to apologizing to the custom content maker...etc... Sometimes, so huge, that people will go "Oh thats the one that stole the content..." But, if you DO forget, correct the problem as quickly as you can and move on.
_Sprinklett_
Test Subject
#17 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 10:45 AM
If someone can help me,

every sim "packed" using bodyshop esporter or downloaded, has of course many files included if all was done correctly.
The "main" sim file is always named by a sequence of numbers and/or chars.
For my own purpose, I would really interested on change this filename with my own easily recognizable name ( for example: SIM_Rebecca.package ) because I have listed and renamed all files into my download folders in a manner I can easily find them (so I said: DOOR_"Nameofdoor"_"Author"_"Version".package and so on).
Weel, my question is: Can I change the sim file's name without loosing something and/or have unespected collateral effects?

Thanks in advance,
Ice
Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 2:02 AM
Thank you soooo much Sprinklett for the tutorial. I really needed it! Thanks again.

txjustise
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 7:28 AM
anyone?
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 1:23 PM
er, how do you package clothes you've made?
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 2:19 AM
Thank you so much for this tutorial I found it so much help when I made my simz!
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 11:48 AM
Hi, a question when i opened Body Shop i have found that there is no custom content and i could not find my Sim, any suggestions? Please help

Thanks Donah
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 21st Jan 2006 at 7:07 PM
Super thank you! Lol i didnt know how to pack them before :P

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Crystal_Sims/index.php - New forum that needs members! Join today!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 21st Jun 2006 at 1:24 PM
thank you.
Test Subject
#25 Old 21st Jun 2006 at 3:10 PM
Default How to upload Sims
cheers for this helpful tutorial.
Page 1 of 2