Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 9:09 PM
Can I like... get a picture and make a mesh from it?
I'm trying to figure out how to mesh in blender but I'm having no luck as I'm finding so much more tutorials that are for Milkshape. Well, I can't get Milkshape and getting it is not an option for me.

And while I've been trying to find good tutorials that actually allows me to understand them, I've noticed that you could do something with photoshop? Would I only use photoshop for coloring or is there a way to get a mesh type thing from there? I probably sound ridiculious but still... is meshing in photoshop - is there a way?

Last but not least, I would like to ask if I can just get a picture of what I want to "mesh" and somehow turn it into a... mesh? Or would I have to draw it? I wouldn't be able to draw it that well.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 10:08 PM
Unfortunate you can not turn a picture into a mesh, you can however use it as reference(like blueprints are used for modelling)
Or try Wings 3d, it has a very friendly interface and makes meshing much easier then Milkshape or Blender does.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 10:17 PM
Wings 3D? Hm... I'll go look at it...

Would you happen to know of any effective tutorials by any chance? I'm trying to create an accessory; it will be an "earring" even though I'm trying to create a hearing aid/cochlear implant.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 10:59 PM
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 11:27 PM
In TSR Workshop, you can now import as .obj and assign the joints in WS. I haven't tried it myself but I am told it is the case.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 7:30 AM
Yup, and for clothing you can use Cmar's toolkit to assigne the boneweighting
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Felquish
I would like to ask if I can just get a picture of what I want to "mesh" and somehow turn it into a... mesh? Or would I have to draw it? I wouldn't be able to draw it that well.

That would take all the fun out of meshing tbh.
But like mentioned above you can use them as reference as a view-port background (mind you that scaling is a important factor here when preparing a background image, and alignment you want front/side and top view of the object). Usually most tutorials (official ones at-least) start out by explaining that technique, as its a much used way to model RL objects that you don't have a blueprint of.

The 3D Studio Max Meshing guides: Part 1: Simple Meshing in 3D Studio Max
Iff freedom was outlawed only outlaws would have freedom.
True piracy is an art, having a Amiga tune doesn't make you the old school pirate.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 2:03 AM
Milkshape 3D isn't too expensive, and it has fantastic tools. You can't make the mesh with the picture only. Trust me, I've tried! But you can use the picture as a base while meshing the object. Try looking for some Milkshape tutorials. MTS has tons, but Google might have some on general meshing. :google:

"He who sleeps on the floor will not fall off the bed." -Robert Gronock