Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 2:35 PM
Oh, cool, I thought I had made a mistake somewhere. I added the package file for someone to look at. I have one problem with the object creation which is I can't seem to find where to add a texture..

I tried JWood's tut but still had some prob's. Maybe it's just me who is making the mistakes../ :sadpanda:
Attached files:
File Type: zip  sartake_parkbench.zip (13.0 KB, 11 downloads)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 2:36 PM
opps...forgot one other thing....I got this message in SimPE at one time.
========================================
Warning: Problems while parsing the file.

This is just a Warning. It is supposed to keep you informed about a Problem. Most of the Time this is not a Bug!

Line 4: [Warning:] Unknown token. (will be ignored) (o Cube_Cube_Cube_Cube)
Line 173: No FloatPair line (vt 0.470217 0.010000 0.0)
Part-time Hermit
#28 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 3:23 PM
Sartake, the reason for the invisibility problem is what I suggested earlier: a wrong mesh name on the Models list. You have named your mesh "parkbench", but it needs to be the same as the name in the original object, in this case, "fabric".

The reason why you have problems figuring out how to import a texture is that this package has no texture image or material definitions. The loveseat you cloned borrows its materials from another object. The easiest way to fix this is to make a new clone. If you want to use the same loveseat as the base, then you need to check the "create a stand-alone object" option while cloning. Then all the necessary files will be included. Another option is to choose a loveseat or bench that has its own textures and materials. In that case, the Satinistics Loveseat would be a good base.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#29 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 4:56 PM
oh, and sartake,
forget about the warning
this is now a normal thing to happen if you import straight from blender 2.40
it doesn't seem to affect the object ingame
if you really want to avoid it, load the file in uv-mapper and 'save object', you don't necessarily have to change the uv-map for this to work
Scholar
#30 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 5:38 PM
blender isn't the best program to use to make sims 2 stuff to tell you the truth even if it is free.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#31 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 6:13 PM
I absolutely disagree with you, there
but this isn't the place to start a discussion on 3d software, there's plenty of threads for that
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 8:22 AM
IgnorantBliss - Hmm, I thought I made that change..Opps..Silly me..

After going through as many tut's as I could find in this forum and in other 3d websites, I still have trouble getting my uvmap done which makes it hard to add textures....ARGH....I think I must be brain-dead...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 1:52 PM
i am trying to create an object using a number of meshes. I followed Lethe_s tutorial for blender object creation but it ends on uvmapping so i don't know how to add the extra meshes and create the texture maps in simpe...How do I do this? Please help..
Fluffy
retired moderator
#34 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 2:24 PM
sartake,
how many subsets do you have?
if you want them to be recolorable, you want to stick with two. At least, you want to stick with two texture images. It's possible to have multiple meshes and uv-map them to one texture image, but that's just making things hard on yourself

The easiest way to make an object with subsets, is to clone one with the right number of subsets, that way you don't have to add extra meshes, or create extra texture maps. For instance, if you're making a chair with a wood texture and a seperate fabric texture, just clone a maxis chair that already has these subsets.
If that's impossible, however, try Ignorant Bliss's tut here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 2:36 PM
i'm creating a post office set and the first object I have made is a shelf with bubblewrap, packages, and poster packs. I have used 6 meshes...Is that too many?

I have the shelf, bubblewrap1 (sits upright), bubblewrap2 (sits sideon), padded packages, envelopes & poster packs.

I have already imported the new meshes to the package and saved it while I try to figure out the rest. I'll look at the tut and see if my brain can get around it.
Scholar
#36 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 3:38 PM
you used 6 meshes in 1 package? why not just use a texture map it's much easier?
Fluffy
retired moderator
#37 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 3:50 PM
like I said, the catalog in Sims 2 only allows for two 'parts' to be recolorable
those can be mixed and matched at will, like the cushion and the wood part of a dining chair
in your situation, you can do several things
- pick two to be recolorable, the others won't be (how many colours of bubble wrap does anyone need, really? ). Only list those two in the tsDesignModeEnabled line of the GMND
- join meshes. For instance, have one subset be the shelf, and the other the contents. You can join meshes in Blender in 'object mode'. Just shift-select the ones you need, press spacebar and choose Object/Join objects. You'll need one uv-map for the new assembled mesh.
- map a number of meshes to the same uv-map. The idea here, is to have one texture image, that colours more than one mesh. For instance, you'll map bubblewrap 1, but keep that uv-map to the top right corner of the map. Leave the rest of the map blank. Then go to bubblewrap 2, and put that only in the top left corner, etc.
If you want an example of two meshes uv-mapped to one texture image, JWoods explains this much better than me (as always) and with pictures here. You only need step 1 and 2 of Part A, you're not actually making a slave object.
Eventually, you'll have four seperate meshes, and four seperate uv-maps, but they can all be coloured with the same texture image. You'll then need to link them all to the one image.
Scholar
#38 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 4:50 PM
it all depends on what program you use to make the texture map. i know wheres there's an excellent tutorial if you use 3d max http://www.simprograms.com/tutorials_sims2_objects.jsp

lots of tutorial links there too. most of them point to here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 2:33 AM
ah, I see what you mean Lethe_s..
So I need to create a map for the contents on the shelf as one and then make a color map showing each contents texture. Then make the shelf recolorable. Is that right?
I'll try that now as I don't have much to do today.

ToRnado - I only have blender but thank you for the tut. If I can get a copy of 3d max I'll check it out.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 4:37 AM
okay...I did what you said and made the shelf contents into one which replaces the books from the bookcase I cloned. Now when it comes to adding different textures to it, how do I do that. I created a uvmap of the contents but I'm not good at using uvmapper to create a bmp version so I can add textures to it...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#41 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 5:28 AM
this is the texture I used to show me where everything would go and the other picture shows how it all turned out....
Screenshots
Attached Images

Scholar
#42 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 5:39 AM
right now just get your textures and in the paint program select the coloured square where you want it than copy the texture and paste into the coloured squares. if you have everything uv mapped correctly the textures should appear on the books perfectly. if you dont have them uv mapped correctly you need to go into your uv map program, select each mesh and add the appropiate map in this case: BOX. it's hard to explain and i only know how to do it in max.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#43 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 8:30 AM
sartake,
in UV-mapper, go to the file menu, where it says 'save model'
under that, click 'save texture map',
don't check any of the options and
for now, don't worry about the size. let it save whatever size it wants,
if you make your textures for it now, they won't be stretched
open the bmp, make your texture, and if necessary, resize to 256/512/1024 etc (whichever dimensions come closest to the current size) before importing the png in SimPE
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 10:17 AM
Default graphics
I figured out how to uvmap but when I go into the game the graphics on my objects look blurry....how do I fix this...
Screenshots
Fluffy
retired moderator
#45 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 10:28 AM
hm, sartake, did you put the graphics options in the sims game on highest?
the grass looks a bit blurry too.
when testing objects, it's best to put the graphics as high as possible,
this means specifically texture detail, sim detail and object detail,
you can change them in the control panel
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 10:30 AM
opps....hehe....thanx....I changed the game detail to low because my comp was running slow.. Will try again and see what happens
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#47 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 1:13 PM
Thank u everyone for your help...I uploaded my Post Office set to the exchange. I still have part 2 of the set to create.... :grouphug: :bow2:
Page 2 of 2