Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 12:14 PM
Default Building a retirement home using the dorm zone code
I thought about building a retirement community for the elder sims. Sometimes I get bored waiting for them to finally die, especially when they've reached lifetime platinum mood while adults and live an extra 30 or so sim days, and when I have adults in the house wanting to marry and have children and they take up allocated space there, it's even more frustrating.

One of the things I felt against was moving household members out as I find elders terribly boring and I'd have little motivation playing them. And I don't want to overcrowd my neighborhoods with abandoned households. Nor do I want to do that pick one heir and move the rest out deal that a lot of legacy people do. I want the family to grow together and live together. I try to keep my families small for that reason alone. Two to three kids at the most. But in order to make room, I have to prevent the sims from aging in platinum to elder so they won't live those extra 30 days but then I feel bad about that like I'm not giving them happiness over a selfish reason of having them die sooner.

So I got the idea of building a retirement place for them. I figured it would work like this: I move them out of the house and then add them to the residental lot marked and built to be like a retirement community. And the 20 k starter fund could be like their fee for living expenses sims normally face. Eventually, the lot will be at its capacity of 8 where if I don't want a huge waiting list in the sim bin, I'll have to play them out till the elders are old enough to die.

My question is this. It would be best if my retirement community could be zoned like a dorm, with an NPC cook, and the rooms not showing activity when occupied by the sims who claimed them. If I built a place and zoned it like a dorm, would my sims have to be young adults to move in, or would I be able to move in anyone I wanted into it if it's not built in a college town but rather a regular neighborhood?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 12:27 PM
If you have Apartment Life you can do it... But if you use the collage dorm zoning in a regular neighborhood it can probably corrupt it.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 1:01 PM
Why not just play them on residential lot? You can lock the doors to their room if you don't want other sims invading them and you can find on Simlogical the Uni oven with the NPC made available for the other lots not just dorms.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 8:15 PM
First, you can always resurrect them (O-Nomitron, Paranormal carreer).

Second, if you want them to continue to work the same hours as they were adults, you can retire from job, and use Pescado's "noagediscrimination" hack (according to the EP you have), choose another or the same job, and they will work like the adults. Thus, they will get the pension, and the salary together. They are very happy to continue being productive.
(More Awesome than You, all hacks).
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 12:40 AM
Theres a hack called SHINY TYME NPC EVERYWHERE PATCH from simlogical http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...ims2_Eating.htm, where a Lunch Worker will show up if you place that stove that came with Uni in any Neighborhood.

So you will have the NPC Cook cooking the food for your elders, mind you, the lunch worker will be an Eldery also.

You won't have to make it a dorm, plus zoning a dorm doesn't work unless its in University, you can just make it a residental lot and use the Myne Doors that came with Uni, and assign each elder to a door, and their photo comes up.

And you can lock them too, its easily done with just the Base Game and University, and no other EPs are required.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 3:40 AM
I went ahead and built the lot as a residential unzoned. I just wanted to see if it could be done in case I decide that I'd like to try it.

I don't have apartment life yet. Nor do I have free time either. My computer's not strong enough yet to handle them but I'm working on it.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 8:52 PM
I have done this is the past and working on one now. I am building an apartment for the elderly with four apartments on second floor (reached by elevator) each has bed, bath, and living room. First floor has kitchen/dinning with university stove and counters. Public baths, library, computer room, game room, spa and workout area as well as public tv area. I am going to group a few of these lots together to look like they are one complex area but not so I have room for more elders. I am playing Pleasentview the Beginning and I don't want all this first generation underfoot and taking up space. But they deserve to be treated well. LOL hope you have fun with yours.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 11:01 PM
Why grannyof13 did you feel the need to post to a 8 year old thread? Please check the date before you post!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 11:31 PM
This thread is a zombie! Everyone run!

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 12:59 AM

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#11 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 1:34 AM
I'm sure darkannie has this thread saved in her bookmarks and has checked it everyday for the past 8 years JUST to see if anyone replied to what she said last. You made her day, grannyof13.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#12 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 2:30 AM
Cam we use your elderly apartments to survive this uprising? I'd suggest severing the cables of the elevator and throwing shampoo, paintings and chicken hats at the zombie thread until it dies.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 2:40 AM
Are zombie threads afraid of garlic?

Wait...that's only vampire threads.

Shoot it! Shoot it with words!

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.