Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th May 2011 at 7:25 AM
Default Play-style
What is your favorite style of play? Do you jump from house to house, play one family, do challenges?

Me, i love playing one family and seeing how far i can build them up over the generations, I play legacy-style with an heir in every generation. And now that the neighborhood changes as well, i don't feel bad when kicking the spare kids out of the house since they'll go on to have families of their own.

How do you play?

Annie
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th May 2011 at 7:40 AM
With Sims 2 yeah I jumped from houses to houses and played Sim week rotation on them. But with Sims 3 I have been reluctant in trying it. I will now though When I get off my hiney to get the mods that makes sure that my original family wont loose any of theirs when I leave them. But I probably will only do so to get the other families in my hood settled, marry and move in those that have kids together divorce/seperate those that hate each other and add bedrooms/beds for additional family members.

I really like the family I am playing now and I intend to play them mainly now. And when the kids move out I'll include their homes into my playtime as well, so I will be rotating like I did in Sims 2.

As for challenges I have started the legacy challange quite often but never finished it to the end. I really have to do that. Well, I have played a version of it where I turn off aging until I am satisfied or bored enough to age up my sims.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th May 2011 at 9:42 AM
I play TS3 exactly the way I plaid TS2. I'm not a fan of story progression, nor do I like town aging. I like to know my Sims and play all the families which is why I've had them on TS2 aging since it was possible.

The only change I've had in my play style is that now I now play in rotation, before i just jumped to what ever house I felt like it. The rotation is currently a week. I do wish TS3 would have the option by default to have more static game-play. The reason I chose a 1 week rotation is because then I can play everybody from Sunday to Sunday, so I don't loose days or gain days when switching families.

The next big change in my game-style will probably not happen until (if) we get weather. Like how to synchronize seasons, rotation and an open hood. Hopefully we'll get back the option to set the hood's season like we could in TS2, so then I can keep the seasons static, and change it manually to the next season when a new rotation starts. Then I can play all families, through all seasons.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th May 2011 at 10:16 AM
I tend to bore easily in this game, different than Sims 2. I would create new sims in Sims 3, build a new house and play them a while before doing the same thing over again. Because I want to play Generations ASAP, I have been forcing myself to stick with one family and get a couple of generations going before installing. I want the family experience.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th May 2011 at 10:26 AM
i play a family for a little bit, usually starting with a single sim, or couple and having them start their lives, have a few kids, and then after the kids are about grown, or are kids and teenagers, i switch to a new family and check in on them to see what they've done with their lives.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 19th May 2011 at 10:27 AM
I tends to play a single family to a certain extend/generation. When I'm bored with that family, I'll take one of their child, move him out and play him next.

I dont like keep switching families. Even in sims 2, I used hacks to make sure the boy next door and all the neighbors aged up in par with the main family.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 19th May 2011 at 11:40 AM
Kinda like emino, although I tend to stick more toward having the heir carry on the wealth (i.e., move with the whole family or stay in the house until the older ones die). I really like TS3 for its story progression/neighborhood aging. However, Karrie made an interesting suggestion that I think I'd like to pursue once I get an empty town - create some families, play them up for a generation or two, and then cut ties and switch. :3

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Alchemist
#8 Old 19th May 2011 at 1:02 PM
I'm a legacy player. I like to play through several generations. I got bored with Sims 2 because I hated playing the whole neighborhood in rotation just to keep the ages in time. So I'm a big fan of neighborhood aging and story progression (using Twallan's SP, because EA's is horrible). In Sims 2 I couldn't get past three generations before my neighborhood just had more families in it than I cared to play, so I'd ditch it and start a new one In Sims 3 I can make it through ten generations.
I like seeing how the town progresses along with family.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th May 2011 at 1:58 PM
I agree with the OP, and those who said generation play. I love playing through the generation and watching the neighborhood change. Twallan's mod is so super-helpful with this.

I have gotten up to 30 weeks and 5 generations before.... right now I am around 15 weeks and on my 3rd generation.... and the town is changing right along with me! Before too long, I'm going to have to build a new graveyard! :D
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th May 2011 at 3:16 PM
I am sort of a modified legacy player. I might create the founder (not hit random) and make them who I want them to be, but after that it is more or less up to him or her. Generally I let them choose who they want to marry... sometimes I need to turn off aging and story progression, but they somehow always manage. Even if it takes FOR-FREAKING-EVER. I tend not to change their kids clothing/hair unless its just hideous. The only time I *do* intervene is when I want my sim to be gay. Sometimes no amount of flirting with the same gender will do it.. Its actually sort of funny. I guess they are "Born that way" too.

Also I have this strict ONE FAMILY PER SAVE FILE rule. Lord knows what would happen to the others if I had them all in one. I'm sure my game would have borked itself years ago.
Scholar
#11 Old 19th May 2011 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I tend to bore easily in this game, different than Sims 2. I would create new sims in Sims 3, build a new house and play them a while before doing the same thing over again. Because I want to play Generations ASAP, I have been forcing myself to stick with one family and get a couple of generations going before installing. I want the family experience.

OMG i starting doing the same thing as soon i heard Generations was coming out...and ya know its kinda neat to see how the kids/grandkids...turn out compared the the original sims.....
Alchemist
#12 Old 19th May 2011 at 5:50 PM
I usually play a family 1 or 2 simweeks to test a house I've just made, wehn everything works, I delete the family I'm currently playing a couple, I'm trying to make them celebs.

I come in peace
#13 Old 19th May 2011 at 7:07 PM
I like creating my sims and putting them into a lot, building the house around them. I don't tend to have lots of kids in most of my single saved game families. I have one SV hood that has like 10 families now that I play in rotation and there are a few kids there. In my single saved game - I play my families (mostly YA couples starting out, working their careers/professions) then move on to the next saved same. One family per hood - SV, RV, Twinbrooks, Bridgeport and a couple of custom worlds - Redcliffs and Storm Island. I play my multi-family SV last and rotate between families. I have all my games on Epic life. I've stopped Story Progression and aging until I get Generations. So what I'm doing now is just making sure everyone skills up and gets to the top of their jobs.

Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40

I'm doing this this too!! Except it's 1 family per hood/world
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 19th May 2011 at 7:53 PM
I usually play just one family for several generations. My hopes are high for Generations, I think it will suit my play style really well. One thing I really like is when my Sims have long and complicated family trees - it makes me feel they belong and are part of something "bigger". Looking forward to memories!

I've never had a big family, so maybe I'm compensating something here.
Scholar
#15 Old 19th May 2011 at 8:38 PM
I play legacy-style, but I have different files I play with so when I get bored of one family, I have another legacy to work on
Field Researcher
#16 Old 19th May 2011 at 8:55 PM
My play style: Prostitute. Meh.

You can find video previews of ALL my uploads on my YouTube Channel.
Keep updated, and follow me on Twitter! You´ll get the most recent news and goss when I´m making custom content!
---- Have Fun With My Uploads! ----
Scholar
#17 Old 19th May 2011 at 8:57 PM
One family per save, one save per neighborhood. Aging and story progression on, long lifespans. Basically, I follow the traditional TS3 legacy-style play, which suits me quite well. I find it a refreshing change from TS2.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th May 2011 at 9:00 PM
I usually start playing with a single sim that I always want to get far into her career, however that never happens because playing a single sim gets boring fast so I have her hook up with someone. Risky woohoo gets her pregnant and then its a struggle to raise the kids by herself and work /get promoted at the same time.
As much as I would like her to get married and her husband move in, its get annoying when all they ever do is fight over who will feed the toddler or put it in its crib all the time... then a second later take it back out, put iit back in its crib (why wont they just leave it on the floor!) grrrr.... In the end I usually end up with a teen, a child and a toddler with a single mom. I then get bored,... and start all over again... sheeesh.

Oh yeah and also, sometimes I will move the teen out if I get attached and try to play her own story, but then she ends up getting pregnant, and between work, school and a teen mom it can get kinda crazy. I'm looking forward to generations so much because as it stands now there just isnt enough "connection" between families members so I usually always end up dropping the larger families, although I wish I could enjoy playing them.

I think I have more fun reading the story progression of those families around me and I like when they have their own kids, grow up, move out etc....
Alchemist
#19 Old 19th May 2011 at 9:09 PM
One family and switch between the houses they own. I started with one sim, got him married and had them have two children. One child moves out when he becomes and adult and one child stays to inherit the original house when the parents die. I do the same with each succesive generation.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 19th May 2011 at 9:27 PM
I move from house to house everytime I play. I have several legacies in my custom hood. I like to build towns with alot of people. I like to sit there and watch the 50 cars or more drive around the city. Makes nighttime sooo much more fun when alot of people go to my clubs. The school house has a huge crowd of kids trying to walk in at the same time which I find funny to watch...=^.^=

Smile. Your Days Are Not Numbered Yet.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 19th May 2011 at 11:15 PM
Well I play at least 4- famlies. i play a 3 sim days in my major fam then I check around the other familes to see what they are up to.
I then play them a littel but not like my major fam. right now I am playing los-angeios and I just started a couple in riverview . riverveiw will be where my generations will be where I mostly be played.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 20th May 2011 at 5:13 AM
I affectionately call my playing style half-baked legacy. Basically I start with one sim. I skill them or get the a job for a few sim weeks. Then I get bored and let the sim start romancing. If I'm not satisfied with who's arround to romance then I inject a few sims into the world. Eventually my sim hooks up with someone and I skill their partner up for a couple weeks. Once I'm satisified with their skilling I let them have a baby and I turn aging back on. They usually have a few kids.. or one to many sometimes I make it to second generation and sometimes I don't. Usually I have a goal.. .like fish all the fishes to be fished, or max guitar skill or whatever.
Instructor
#23 Old 20th May 2011 at 5:19 AM
I start out with two new Sims in a new 'hood, one male and one female. Sometimes they're related, sometimes they're married, sometimes they live together, sometimes they live apart. I use Twallan's mods to control for extraneous variables and just go from there. I have four major saves at the moment. One has 10 households in it I play on a rotation, keeping track of who should age up before whom, while the others have 6, 8 and 9 households, respectively. I add new households by finding someone in the 'hood I like (Constance Shelley and the McDermotts come to mind) or by intermarrying/having a child with a different household. Once the other household is entrenched in some major way with my Sims, they are added to my rotation of play. Sometimes that makes for families I don't like (Bella's brother in my game is boring) and other times it causes me to take a second look at a family I disliked (the Brokes, who are now the Brookes). I love the neighborhood that grows and changes around my Sims but I also like controlling the aging of my Sims.

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Field Researcher
#24 Old 20th May 2011 at 9:52 PM
I like the one-household-per-save style, since my game takes so utterly long to switch between houses! If I have a couple and they have 2 kids, I like to move one out and forget about them, while I keep one living with parents to inherit the house.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 21st May 2011 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
One family per save, one save per neighborhood. Aging and story progression on, long lifespans. Basically, I follow the traditional TS3 legacy-style play, which suits me quite well. I find it a refreshing change from TS2.

I am not going to say your style is wrong or anything. But I feel it is a bit shallow when it comes to variety of sim community. Same old predictable NPC and default EA sims. Have you run into that problem?
Quote: Originally posted by emilyhwithlove
I like the one-household-per-save style, since my game takes so utterly long to switch between houses! If I have a couple and they have 2 kids, I like to move one out and forget about them, while I keep one living with parents to inherit the house.

Somehow I don't have that problem. Switching household is reasonably fast to me. Not instant, but takes 30 seconds maybe. Switching with Master Controller is even more seamless. There is a 10 second freeze, and my household is switched.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Page 1 of 2