Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2011 at 1:40 PM
Default Contradicting your personality
I was reading the "Favorite trait" thread and a few people mentioned some traits that they liked using for their Sims, even thou it was something opposite their own personality.

I've notice before that there are things I like in the Sims, but not in real life.

Here's a few example that come to mind straight away.

Gardening: Love it in the Sim world, not the biggest fan of it in the real world. All those bugs and sunshine, no thank you.

Children: More fun in the Sim world than in the real world

House wife's: I love playing housewife's in the Sim world, even thou in reality I get stir crazy after two days if I'm home. Same with housework, more fun when it's digital.

What's your Sim likes/real world dislikes?
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 20th May 2011 at 2:06 PM
Green Thumbs. It's useful in-game, yet in real life everything green goes yellow and brown on my approach.
Virtuoso. I like it in-game, but in real life an imaginary giant elephant was jumping on my ears until my aural skills went into severe negative.
Scholar
#3 Old 20th May 2011 at 4:59 PM
Genius, cause my Sim rarely not Genius, but in RL, I usually feel so dumb on little things...

Collecting items, cause when I see it in a tiny pixels in game, it's so beautiful. But when I tried to collect something, no genius needed to find out what happened. Never continue anything I collect (not including the Sims CDs and DVDs ^_^)

Hey there! :)
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th May 2011 at 5:03 PM Last edited by so_freakin_glam : 20th May 2011 at 5:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Housewife sims: my female sims never work and the males sims are the money makers . this is something im totally against in real life.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 20th May 2011 at 5:06 PM
I love No sense of humour in game, but in real life... Also like Hopeless Romantic in game but I really can't stand over-affection or much physical contact in real life. Schmoozer in game, but I literally want to punch people that won't shut-up in real life.. idk if that's really the same thing, but it's the closest... probably that in combination with NSOH. I'm quite Inappropriate in real life, but I don't constantly feel the need to insult people to their face.. I'm not mean, and if I am I.. I'm two-faced, and I'm good at it... I must be, people still like me . I make fun of people but it never has a malicious tone behind it, I always make it seem/sound like a joke, so people take it well. I think the inappropriate-ness is mostly innuendo based, dressing inappropriately, talking to random people in the street (this may seem fine in your country, but I'm english..)

Go suck an elf...
Instructor
#6 Old 20th May 2011 at 5:16 PM
My sims are (mostly) color coded they have one main color they wear and black/white(some times its two colors). so basicly if you wear purple you only wear purple. In real life I dispise people who have monochromatic closets. But for sims it works.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 20th May 2011 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by so_freakin_glam
Housewife sims: my female sims never work and the males sims are the money makers . this is something im totally against in real life.

Somehow, despite that, in our society, we always look up to male as the one upholding the family financially, while it is more optional for female. Simply said, if a family finance breaks down, people will automatically lay blame on the guy. Not that I agree with that, but it is how our society is.

Back on topic: I find the most "popular" traits (that I often use for my sims) are Neat, Friendly, Workaholic

I find it very helpful to have Neat and Workaholic in at least 1 sim in the household. Neat helps with less micromanagement in house cleaning. Workaholic helps with sims skipping work less: having at least 1 sim in the household not trying to get himself fired will help with ensuring stable income. Friendly trait is helpful with approaching to people, at least I think it does.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#8 Old 20th May 2011 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Simply said, if a family finance breaks down, people will automatically lay blame on the guy. Not that I agree with that, but it is how our society is.
That is because it has always been the traditional role of the male to put food on the table, one way or another. If he does not do so financially, the female kills him and eats him. That is how it is meant to be.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th May 2011 at 7:54 PM
Females also kill males after unsatisfactory sex. Or at least I do and tarantulas.

I love Charismatic trait. Sadly in real life i'm not.

I usually use ambitious and workaholic traits. But me? HAHAHA, you wish!
Typical
#10 Old 20th May 2011 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gelis

I love Charismatic trait. Sadly in real life i'm not.

I usually use ambitious and workaholic traits. But me? HAHAHA, you wish!

I'm exactly the same here. Apart from the ambitious bit; I'm ambitious, but also quite often rubbish... gotta love Top Gear too.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 21st May 2011 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
That is because it has always been the traditional role of the male to put food on the table, one way or another. If he does not do so financially, the female kills him and eats him. That is how it is meant to be.

Yep, agree or disagree, that is how our society is. Female dominance in a household usually does not last due to this, with small exceptions like the man in the family has some kind of disability or is no longer with the family, then it will be "single mother family" where the oldest man can be 10 years old.

Banned
#12 Old 21st May 2011 at 11:39 AM
My grandmother was an utter bitch who dominated over all men and everyone else in her household. And that's despite her being very traditional woman.
Alchemist
#13 Old 21st May 2011 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
House wife's: I love playing housewife's in the Sim world, even thou in reality I get stir crazy after two days if I'm home. Same with housework, more fun when it's digital.

What's your Sim likes/real world dislikes?

hah! i'm the opposite of this...being pretty much a hermit IRL, i usually have my sims run out and do things (like...jobs. even if they dont technically need to).

pretty much i still like all the traits i listed in the favorite traits thread, but not so much in real life, when applied to things like... myself.
the evil trait for obvious reasons, though i adore it in sims... klepto, because nobody likes sticky fingers in the real world ;P (though i do tend to have this...urge, to steal all things steal-able in video games. all of them. i was snatching up forks and bread and crap i didnt even need, in oblivion, just because i could...this is probably a suppressed desire of mine lol)
i, personally, have no discipline whatsoever. i dont care for it. others are free to.
insane, as a trait, i like in my sims, however in the real world i think insanity is common enough to be a pretty normal thing by now, and ive been called insane many a few times, so...
my mother is a complete bookworm. she is my book supplier, and she always has her face stuck in one. i guess the plus side is that we can sit in the same room together for 30+ minutes and not piss each other off. ;) so i guess that one i do like IRL.
as fond as i am of hopeless romantics in the sims, im not a fan of them IRL. they tend to come off as silly and delusional in the real world, and ive noticed that most age into the least pleasant people to encounter... all bitter and cold from their delusions being...well, delusional. yet remarkably, the easiest to offend when it comes to romance and notions of!

i guess a few of the traits that i enjoy IRL but dont particularly care for in the sims are:
-dramatic (loves me some good actors/actresses!)
-artistic (though it does have many uses in the sims, its not as interesting as IRL)
-genius (also fairly limited. useful, but boring, i suppose. geniuses IRL usually tend to be interesting, i find.)
-virtuoso (i think mainly my annoyance with this trait is that it really has nothing to do with singing, or a sims actual behavior, which i find to be pretty short-changing to us customers. true virtuosos, in the real world, sing, or play air guitars/drums, and have iPods/mp3 players glued to their ears at all times. they appreciate music. sims just learn it quicker, and still at the speed of snail, with this trait..../rant)

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#14 Old 21st May 2011 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Uhm, so about 99% percent of all lifeforms on this planet are not working according to The Plan? Hm, this explains a lot - either about this world or The Plan.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 21st May 2011 at 4:22 PM
I love having one sim in the house with the Technophobe trait because they can sabotage the technical stuff. I think that's such a fun feature. But in real life I'm constantly playing my Xbox360, on the computer, or on the phone. I also love having sims that know martial arts so they can spar and meditate, but in real life I'm waaaaay too out of shape to even attempt martial arts.
Test Subject
#16 Old 21st May 2011 at 4:26 PM
I like to make hippie sims (vegetarian, eco-friendly, loves the outdoors, and green thumb) but I hate hate hate vegans and environmental nutballs. For some reason I just take joy in having sims grow/catch their own food and live on their own lot without really needing to go anywhere.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st May 2011 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SPYCchcknWINGS
I like to make hippie sims (vegetarian, eco-friendly, loves the outdoors, and green thumb) but I hate hate hate vegans and environmental nutballs. For some reason I just take joy in having sims grow/catch their own food and live on their own lot without really needing to go anywhere.

I have certain small worlds which have sims with the *ahem* hippie traits. They do make playing islands without real streets much more delightful, watching them speed around on mopeds and bikes. I do try to make the whole, small island full of eco-friendly sims.

I live a hermit life too, wouldn't go out if I didn't need food, and go to doctor appointments. I guess I could try on-line grocery shopping.

I am a natural cook, and neat, so most of the sims I play may have those traits. The neat trait is unsettling in the game, makes me rethink my own personality sometimes. I might be a PITA. I think that I don't have many mental issues, so I love playing insane and neurotic traits, some one in the second generation have to be one of those traits.

I am not a person for PDA, so I do use the hopeless romantic, if the sim is looking for a mate. Commitment issued sims will have the flirty, good kisser, charisma traits, although I am none of those personalities.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
#18 Old 21st May 2011 at 7:01 PM
Yep, agree or disagree, that is how our society is. Female dominance in a household usually does not last due to this, with small exceptions like the man in the family has some kind of disability or is no longer with the family, then it will be "single mother family" where the oldest man can be 10 years old.

I can't really agree with this, as I know some men married to and still living with some total bitches.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 21st May 2011 at 10:15 PM
gosh this convo got ugly... i love this, but it's strayed way away from making sims contradict their personalaties, which is what i thought it was before i clickied...

and now it's strayed from "how do your sims contradict YOU"? which i dont quite get, but i'll play along...

my sims can garden, and fish, i cant do either, they also seem family oriented even if i dont choose that trait, they dont automatically hate kids like i do...

now, sometimes i like to try and make more sloppy sims be neater, or make sims who hate the outdoors go fishing, or technophobes use a computer... cause thats fun
Field Researcher
#20 Old 22nd May 2011 at 5:22 AM
I tend to make sexually promiscuous sims, usually women. It's completely unlike me though, because I'm more of a prude than Mrs. Crumplebottom herself.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 22nd May 2011 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fairycake89
I can't really agree with this, as I know some men married to and still living with some total bitches.

I don't see what you are disagreeing with. Are you disagreeing with men being looked upon as the default financial provider in a family in our society, or you are disagreeing with female financial provider being the rarer cases? Either way, how does it have anything to do with marrying and living with total bitches. Or you are implying power women equating total bitches?

How about read before you even reply. Pescado's message has 5 agrees and my reply complimenting his statement gets 6 disagrees. And we pretty much said the same thing. And now someone bring in the "total bitches". Listen, there is nothing wrong being a strong woman. There are a lot of women out there making several times more money than any man on MTS here, I do not see how it is any ground to judge them as "bitches". For example: Jessica Alba, she makes 9 million a year according to Forbes.com. How will you arrive at a conclusion that she is a total bitch, just by the sole information she earns more money than you?

Seriously, sexism is disgusting.

Forum Resident
#22 Old 22nd May 2011 at 12:33 PM

I can only speak for myself, but when my dad was around my mother was the bread winner, and she always has been.. But then I suppose my dad's "kind of disability" was that he was a useless sod. But anyway, my mum's female dominance has lasted for the entire existence of this household. All I'm saying is that I think your statement(s) is an enormous generalization.

Go suck an elf...
Banned
#23 Old 22nd May 2011 at 12:37 PM
I don't see what you are disagreeing with. Are you disagreeing with men being looked upon as the default financial provider in a family in our society, or you are disagreeing with female financial provider being the rarer cases? Either way, how does it have anything to do with marrying and living with total bitches. Or you are implying power women equating total bitches?

How about read before you even reply. Pescado's message has 5 agrees and my reply complimenting his statement gets 6 disagrees. And we pretty much said the same thing. And now someone bring in the "total bitches". Listen, there is nothing wrong being a strong woman. There are a lot of women out there making several times more money than any man on MTS here, I do not see how it is any ground to judge them as "bitches". For example: Jessica Alba, she makes 9 million a year according to Forbes.com. How will you arrive at a conclusion that she is a total bitch, just by the sole information she earns more money than you?

Seriously, sexism is disgusting.

First of all, "bitch" is used often in a positive/neutral way to indicate aggressive/strong/powerful woman who is striving to control men (and women) around her.
Do you really count those "agrees"? I clicked "funny" for Pescado's post, because, well, it was pretty neutral and not entirely serious (at least I hope so, you can never really know what to expect from a guy who made THE BBQ). I clicked "disagree" for your next-to-Pescado's post, because it was very specific and very, very limiting (can I say expulsive?).
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 22nd May 2011 at 1:22 PM Last edited by tomomi1922 : 22nd May 2011 at 1:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by brillo_pad
I can only speak for myself, but when my dad was around my mother was the bread winner, and she always has been.. But then I suppose my dad's "kind of disability" was that he was a useless sod. But anyway, my mum's female dominance has lasted for the entire existence of this household. All I'm saying is that I think your statement(s) is an enormous generalization.

Enormous generalization? I don't suppose there are more households in our society where women bringing home more money than her husband and hold higher status than her husband.

For the worlds I know rather well, Southern Japan, Southern China, Hongkong, Hawaii, California, New York, in all of these places. 10 out of 10 cases, if there is ANY family failure, 10 out of 10 husband/boyfriend will be the blame, the laugh of entire town. I never hear things like "Guy divorces his wife because she is not making enough money". Now nothing in this world is conclusive. During my years of volunteer works, I have met family where wives worked 2 jobs to support a disabled husband, a war veteran who lost both leg, maybe. Or husband who just happens to be so dumped down on his luck while wife was lucky to climb the corporate ladder. But seriously, we may see 100 corporate managers going after a "pretty waitress" before we get to see 1 highly successful business woman proposing to a janitor man who barely passed highschool. How enormous my generalization can be?

Oh, don't even bother trying to convince me "total bitches" is a positive comment. You can test my statement by using this word on:

- Your girlfriend/wife
- Your mother/aunts
- Your teacher/professor
- Your female boss
- A female police officer
- Any random female walking the street

But don't come back crying when you "mysteriously" lose your job, getting slapped, getting beaten by her boyfriend who happened to stand next to her, getting seriously written up for sexual harassment, or simply getting locked up in police station temporary holding cell for "marijuana possession suspicion". In fact, that was what happened to one of my stupid and drunk friend last Christmas when he made pretty comment about "Mexican girls are all bitches and sluts" right outside a club where a female police officer just happened to overhear. She happened to be Latino.

There is little relevance of "bitch" and "controlling". They can go hand to hand, they can relate, but neither one of them supersede the other. Someone can be a bitch and not controlling/aggressive, someone can be controlling/aggressive and not a bitch. Beside, if you actually read the discussion on earlier posts: people are discussing "men are usually the head of household, the one who brings food to the table", financial provider! There is no discussing on who is more aggressive. In fact, not even "head of household" and "financial provider" have to go hand to hand either. The husband can be jobless for 6 months while his wife pays for everything, but he is still the one making all the decision. There is absolutely no base to bring "total bitches" into the discussion. It is very sexist to generalize "bitches" to any women who are in control. Pointing out the obvious, there are households with single mother raising 2-3 kids due to husband's early death, separation, divorce, or simple "accidental pregnancy", these mothers worked very hard to provide for their kids. They are definitely in complete control of the household. I beg your pardon, but I don't see remotely how this figure can relate to "total bitches".

Forum Resident
#25 Old 22nd May 2011 at 2:14 PM
I'd like to think that by now that the man being the head of a household is a generalization, but I'm quite happy to accept that my mum is a special case. I never said that there were more households where women were earning greater salaries, I'm saying that saying "that is how our society is" is such a definitive statement for something that is becoming more and more variable.

Go suck an elf...
Page 1 of 3