Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#51 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 5:57 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 10th Nov 2014 at 8:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Over 33,000 in 7 years. All I can say is WHY!?

I suspect most profile views are from webcrawlers looking for email addresses, not legitimate page views from fellow gamers.
Don't put your email address into your profile.
In fact, don't even register with a "real" email address (like, one from your ISP). Instead, use a throw-away address, like a Yahoo one or similar. Never use an email address you don't want spammed to register anywhere, but always use a throw-away address.
I only use my real email address(es) to register with legitimate online retailers I buy things from and who may need to contact me concerning a purchase, and to communicate with people I know personally, or trust.

Edit: And while I'm at it, I might as well repeat what I told someone this morning in a PM. Admins and sysops of discussion forums can and will read other people's PMs. It's quite naive to think they wouldn't.
I was a forum moderator at a gaming site some 10 years ago and I know for a fact that certain admins had the ability to read anyone's PM, and frequently did so.
Nothing anyone writes anywhere on a website should be considered to be really private. To think otherwise is to be naive in the extreme. Anything meant to be private needs to be taken to email - and be sure to use that throw-away email address for the initial contact, because if you exchange your real email address in a PM...well, it will end up getting spammed.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#52 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 11:21 AM
You shoud change your name to StatingTheObviousRob.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#53 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
I disagree. Some of that is obvious, but not all, and not obvious to everyone.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Inventor
#54 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 12:25 PM
Usually when I check out member profiles it's because someone has created something I like, and I know a lot of creators make a series of similar objects. Like fantasy themes, retro etc. Besides that I don't snoop around too much I guess..
Field Researcher
#55 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 2:29 PM
I got more than 10k profile views, yet I never uploaded any mod, nor am I particuarly helpful and usually clog up the vent thread. What's going on? Why is my profile so visited? And I usually never check other people's profiles, just don't feel a reason to.
Theorist
#56 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmodder69
I got more than 10k profile views, yet I never uploaded any mod, nor am I particuarly helpful and usually clog up the vent thread. What's going on? Why is my profile so visited? And I usually never check other people's profiles, just don't feel a reason to.

Haven't you heard? There's a rumor going around that German male TF2 babysitters are HAWT!

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#57 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Why do people check out members' profiles?

I have four main reasons to check folks' profiles:

1. If I like someone's work, I check to see what other uploads s/he might have.
2. To stalk someone who's a friend (e.g. Nymphetamine and Noob), so I can read their posts and poke a button or two. :lovestruc
3. Sheer nosiness - like to see where someone's from or to get a gauge on if they're waaaay older/younger than me or a contemporary...?
4. To find new funny posts. (From posters who are almost always funny to read...I'll take a shortcut through their profile page with all their posts on it.)

By the way, I also go to my own profile page to click on the button that shows my statistics.
It's a quick way to see what stuff people might actually want to download.
(e.g. In the last months, I've deleted 4 of my uploads because they were fails.
By checking my stats, I was able to learn what not to ever try to upload again! )
Field Researcher
#58 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Haven't you heard? There's a rumor going around that German male TF2 babysitters are HAWT!

Well, I don't know if that would apply to me. You see, I'm not as cute and cuddleworthy as my profile pic, those times are long past and right now, I'm kinda ugly. If you can see past all my excessive weight and/or useless bodyhair... Well, then I think you're sort of right.
dodgy builder
#59 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
By the way, I also go to my own profile page to click on the button that shows my statistics.
It's a quick way to see what stuff people might actually want to download.
(e.g. In the last months, I've deleted 4 of my uploads because they were fails.
By checking my stats, I was able to learn what not to ever try to upload again! )

I can't imagine why you would do that? Often there might be a reason why no one downloads a lot, but I assume you don't mean you had like zero downloads. Anyways I don't know about you, but I don't really make lots for "commertial" success, not everything I make is a hit, far from it, it's just the way the world goes really. Something I made a year ago might still be interesting today and catch up sometime later. A lot I made in 2011 shouldn't be usable anymore, but suddenly someone comes along and say "this one still works". I wouldn't remove so called old lots either.

Often the reason a lot has very little download is due to the marketing you did. Like did you use the right pictures, and did you do some posting of that lot in other places? People here at mts has a ... what can I call it? ... a common ground, that's why they meet here, they have something common to talk about. The same other places, they are different people with other needs and you just didn't find the right people.

I often look at the downloads and think that wasn't a hit, why not ... that other one was, perhaps I should make more of those. I just think making too many of those guidelines and you very soon end up being just the same as any other creator. If you want to be a great artist or creator you need to have something special about you, that makes people think "this creator has lots of interesting stuff, lets come back later". Sometimes it's even interesting to see what this creator did a few years ago, to get back to the subject of this thread, and compare with the new things. Just to see how he/she has evolved.

This was just a bunch of rambling, just ignore me if it suits you.
Theorist
#60 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena

Then why is there a three-page thread with people wondering why they have 30k+ profile views?
Banned
#61 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Then why is there a three-page thread with people wondering why they have 30k+ profile views?

...that was brought back from the dead?
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 5:09 PM
To match the amount of clicks with the beat of whatever song I'm listening to. *Quickly stalks someone*
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#63 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
...that was brought back from the dead?
That's a bit of an exaggeration. It had gotten a little quiet, but it was still a relatively newish thread (says I, the thread creator).

Banned
#64 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 5:09 PM
And we are now closed again.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#65 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 8:11 PM
Rut-roh! Just when it was about to die quietly...someone posts! Why did they do that, Aaron4Ever?

#66 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 9:21 PM
2036 profile views in a few months. This could get interesting.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Page 3 of 3