Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 9:13 AM
Default Whims...
This is going to sound strange, but I was curious about two things, the first one is the weird(and probably dumb) one. Do the sims get the wish or "whim" to have a baby? Mine got married, one has the big family dream(or whatever they're calling it now), but nothing's turned up? Should I just be patient or do they never actually turn that one up?

Please don't tell me I have to just pick randomly when they want to start their family...

And also! I was wondering if anybody had turned up any funny/cool/unusual whims recently?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:02 AM
I think that "whims" are exactly that - potentially fleeting desires that come and go based on the situation they are in right now. They're not like wishes in TS3 which were aimed as being more of long-term goals, such as having a baby and getting married.

Or at least that's my impression of them. I haven't seen any whims that have any big goals in mind. But I have noticed that some whims are influenced by their aspirations and traits, so there might be one somewhere we haven't seen yet. With my sims with the family aspiration I work through their mini-goals to complete it - one of them was "be friends with 3 of own children" so I made them have 3 kids (well, the 3rd turned out to be twins). And the the next one was "friends with grandchildren" so one of the kids is making a grandchild for her.

All other sims in my game I get to have kids randomly. For example with my legacy sim she struggled financially with having kids before having a good career and not having much money, by having kids really young. Meanwhile Cassandra Goth spent her young adult years building her career and skills before having children as an adult. I think its fun to pick randomly - would your sim be the type to be sensible, or will they just have a love child then struggle?

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Test Subject
#3 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:55 AM
My sim had a whim to marry her fiance but only after I had made her propose at a random time without a whim. Haven't seen a have a child whim yet on any of my families and few have had the family life goal thing.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 1:29 PM
Odd, I got the whim 'make baby with X' in almost all the premade couples (I play them in rotation) and a whim of marrying X in a couple I made - after being married the mom got the make a baby whim. I get the baby whim so often that it's a bit annoying, the last couple that had it already had 2 kids and I went on scolding them when the whim popped up lol "Oh No you don't!"
Even Bob Pancake got the 'Make baby with' with his dragon wife! Luckily it failed.
It's very easy to mix it up with the 'make woohoo with' as it's the same icon IIRC and you have to hover the icon to see the text. Maybe that's what's happening?
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 2:45 PM
I've gotten it randomly, but if you have one of the family aspirations, it seems to pop up more frequently (and uses that as a reason for it popping up).
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 4:04 PM
My family-orientated lady had the whim to have a baby with her husband, even after having 3 kids.

I guess the family-orientated trait would push for that whim a lot more but I I'm not sure her being in a flirty mood also makes it appear, as her romancey-husband would get her all hot and bothered and she'd instantly want his babies...