Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#51 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:14 AM
CatOfEvilGenius: The reason the Quick Delete is just a little minus red sign is becuase I didn't have a button done up in the new style for quick delete. So I just reused an old one from something else.

As for sleeping and when I had time to do this - I've had a few weeks off work.

Quinctia, Thanks for the comments. I agree that probably a lot of those 3rd party mesh links that are also included are unneccesary but I think that a lot of them are also unclear. I was looking at a thread earlier and had to have 2 other staff explain it to me becuase I just didn't get it... and if *I* don't get it... well...

I can see your point about the whole idea for shorter threads having everything on one page, but from the point of view of how this site is actually used, many people look at the description and the pics and dont download - this is evident in the r1 ratio on the scorecard. If you get 10% thats a good ratio. So you can see how having things discrete works for the vast majority of people who actually use the site. It may not be obvious to creators but it is to the normal downloader.

I've added the text to the comments tab when they aren't shown to tell people how to turn them on, and also added some text to clarify the meshes included box too.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Not actually evil.
#52 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:35 AM
multi - part downloads
You can update old threads download instructions and specify that they are multi part.
I checked. However, I can't get bb codes to work in the custom download instructions box. For example, I can't use this symbol in that box. I can live with that, but if you added that functionality, I'd be happy. If not, no big deal.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:40 AM Last edited by N8iveSims : 8th Jan 2009 at 7:44 AM. Reason: rotten, dirty-dog typos... lol
Hi Delphy - porkypine here to report that when I am logged in as mod group creator for the N8iveSims Mod group private social forum, I can NOT see porkypine's request to join the private group. When I look in the group tools, porkypine along with all the other invitees are pending (have not accepted the invitation yet). So, there is a bug - the invitation sends them to the Sims2 community social forum where our mod group thread is NOT located and the invitation bombs.

Ok. I gotta hit the sack. I have to get up in 5 hours for work. Nite.
Not actually evil.
#54 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:54 AM
multi-part bbcode LINK QUESTION

I can't get the correct URL for a specific Comment post to show up. I click the Comment tab, I click the number link, like #5, for post 5, but it doesn't change my URL. Is it because the Comments are in now in a frame, I think? Do I need to write the URL by hand? If so, what should it be?

Or is there some magic bb code for going to a certain post?

I'm using Firefox 3.0.5

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#55 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:56 PM
porky, do you mean you can't see the invite PM at all or you see it but the link was wrong? If the latter then just change forums.sims2community.com ro modthesims2.com or re-invite since I just fixed that.

Cat: With regards to the comments numbers - the URL will be something like http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...385#post1629385 - notice the ?p instead of ?t - this says to go to a specific post instead of the main thread. Using this link in a seperate tab/window will show you the download and take you to the comments tab and scroll down to that comment.

The :! : is not bbcode It's a smilie. Normal vbcode does work as far as I know, but I probably turned off smilies for some reason. I'll check and re-enable.

Test Subject
#56 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:32 PM
I was quite startled to see the new layout, but overall it's an improvement. This version actually displays the way I assume you want it to (the old "new" layout would often - but not always - pile up the various button elements on the front page in a long, unsteady, multi-screen column), and I like the tabs, too. Or, rather, I like the idea of the tabs. In practice, I agree with Quinctia and several others who dislike having the downloads on a separate tab from the actual description of the download. I can learn to live with the separation, but it's unlikely to ever make sense to me. Besides the actual link, the amount additional of information given on the Download tab is minimal and has decreased to no meaning at all without the context of the Overview information. The other three tabs make sense as stand-alone sections - the only one that might be necessary to make use of a downloaded item is the Install Instructions, but since creators are likely to mention that requirement in the Overview, it's nice to not have to bother with the standard instructions for every single download. I really liked having the "also downloaded" info in the sidebar, but the migration to the tab makes sense. However, Overview and Download contain interdependent information, and placing them on separate tabs seems more like an exercise in making a tabbed interface than in making an interface that groups information into essential and non-essential categories for ease of use.

As a donator, I haven't seen ads in a very long time, but where I used to have the information that now appears on the Related Pages tab, I have a big grey box where ads are apparently displayed. Should I be seeing the box?

Quote:
I can see your point about the whole idea for shorter threads having everything on one page, but from the point of view of how this site is actually used, many people look at the description and the pics and dont download - this is evident in the r1 ratio on the scorecard. If you get 10% thats a good ratio. So you can see how having things discrete works for the vast majority of people who actually use the site. It may not be obvious to creators but it is to the normal downloader.

I am apparently an extremely anomalous downloader - if the title and/or thumbnail are done even halfway accurately by the creator, it's obvious to me whether or not I'm going to have any interest in downloading something, and so I probably download (and thank) at least 90% of what I click on and look at. I'm not doubting your stats at all - it's just that this really surprises me and now I'm very curious about how other people do use the site.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

AKA nixy / elegantdecay.com
Test Subject
#57 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:50 PM
The updates look good, much cleaner looking. In theory, I like the tab version, but I find the downloads tab awkward, especially when there are several downloads and I need to reference the picture for them. It's annoying to switch back and forth. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to stick with this version or go back to the old, since I love all the other features in this new version.

I think I'd be happiest if the overview and download tabs were merged, but that's my opinion. Good job, otherwise! Ta!
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:13 PM
Hi Delphy; love the new streamlined/organized look of the download pages, nice work . . . thanks!

"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."
Not actually evil.
#59 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:21 PM
links in multi-part download instructions

Right then. vbcode is vbcode, smileys are smileys, I should not post while sleepy.
I'll try multi-part urls and report back...

Lab Assistant
#60 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:26 PM
Well, I've been kinda critical lately, so I should also give praise. I really like the changes that's been made. Huge amounts of information, but it's easy to locate and use. The drop down menues on top of the page have become more usefull too.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#61 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:29 PM
Here's an interesting statistic for those of you who don't like the new view becuase you keep having swap back and forth to check the photos:

Number of downloads with 1 file attached: 46,881
Number of downloads with 2 files attached: 7,217
Number of downloads with 3 files attached: 2,589
Number of downloads with 4 files attached: 2,095
Number of downloads with 5 files attached: 1,255
Number of downloads with 6+ files attached: 3,120

Percentage of downloads on the site with only 1 file: 74%

So, 3 times out of 4 you probably wont even need to switch back and forth.

Not actually evil.
#62 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:53 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 8th Jan 2009 at 8:07 PM.
multi-part downloads : vbcode works, smileys don't, odd post link issue...

1) Tried vbcode url tags in one of my threads, works fine, you can see it here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/download...991#post2038991

2) Smileys don't work in the multi-part download instructions box, but you're going to change that later, so I'll check again later...

3) When I link to a specific post, for example, post #8, it opens in a new tab, great, but it shows post #7, not #8. The title line of #8 is at the *bottom* of the screen. I think it should be at the top, so if you link to post #8, you can see post #8 (or whatever number N), not #7 (N-1). Is this a browser isssue, an html issue, or something you can change?

I worked around this by linking to post #9 when I want to show post #8, linked to #10 to show #9, linked to #11 to show #10, and so on, but would rather not have to.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#63 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 8:04 PM
Actually Cat you've encountered that FF3 bug that we talked about a couple months back. It actually *is* linking to post 8 but becuase of the way the scroll function works it only scrolls until the actual anchor is on the screen (in this case the top blue bar of the post). Hence why it appears to not work - but in actual fact it does.

(In IE, incidentally, the scroll works fine and scrolls the entire post into view. We did talk about this before... )

Not actually evil.
#64 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 8:07 PM
Damn, I forgot. Now my N+1 links will look fine in Firefox, but wrong in Exploder. :/ Do you know if most MTS2 users use FF or IE?

For some reason, the double quote marks don't work right in the multipart download instructions box (or I'm using them wrong). They get a slash put in front of them. What do I do to make them display correctly?

Not actually evil.
#65 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 8:23 PM
cache is faster now???

Delphy, did you improve caching? It's much faster for me now. For example, when I read subscribed threads, their read/unread status changes almost immediately, which is quite nice. It used to take a minute or so, the last time you did something to the cache (I know that was for a good reason). Yay!

Test Subject
#66 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 10:13 PM
Quite different, but different is GOOD!
Not actually evil.
#67 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 10:39 PM
multi-part downloads

+ smileys work in the multi-part download instructions box

+ the vb code image tag also works there

Example here: http://www.modthesims2.com/download...813#post2048813

Field Researcher
#68 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 11:40 PM
I'm not sure if it has been said here or not, I just scrolled to the bottom.

Is it possible to have the Thanx button on the download tab also? I tend to forget things when they are not right in front of me.

ClicknPsycho
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#69 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 11:57 PM
Regarding multipost uploads: [link=#post12345678] is dead, right? Is there an equivalent for it? (Something that doesn't reload the page)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Not actually evil.
#70 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 11:59 PM
plasticbox Here's how I did it.

- Go to comments, right click on the post number, like #8, if you want to see post 8, and select "Open in New Tab".

- Go to that tab, copy the URL.

- Edit your thread, in the custom download instructions box, use the vbCode url tags, and paste in the URL you copied earlier.

You'll get links in your custom download instructions box, they will open in new tabs when users click them. Is that what you were asking about?

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#71 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 12:12 AM
Cat, no, that's not the same thing =) what you describe are regular links, those will reload the page. I haven't looked at the source but it may well be that directly jumping to a post isn't possible anymore now, with the tabs and all -- it used to work with the [link] tag (as opposed to showthread and showpost).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#72 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 1:17 AM
Cat: If you click the # instead of the number... for example, this is post #72. Instead of clicking 72, click #. That gives you a direct link to the actual post instead of jumping to the post within the thread. Maybe that would work better in the Multi-Part box?
Not actually evil.
#73 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 1:37 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 9th Jan 2009 at 3:30 AM.
fansee - ooh, thankies, must try that... It worked! Hurray! Happy dance, happy dance! (I might be hopped up on chocolate...)

Delphy - the thread tools menu has a minor, itty bitty issue, I think. The green check for Subscribe is great, but shouldn't Unsubscribe have a red X instead of a green check or something?

Also, I think you meant "Historical" here, not "Historial"...

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 4:07 AM
I like how the new layout is faster, but the downloads tab is....meh. I switched back to the old one. Reason is, I'm a compulsive downloader, and I just like minimal switching between.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#75 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 7:37 AM Last edited by porkypine : 9th Jan 2009 at 7:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
porky, do you mean you can't see the invite PM at all or you see it but the link was wrong? If the latter then just change forums.sims2community.com ro modthesims2.com or re-invite since I just fixed that.

Hi Delphy, Yes, I CAN se the invite PM but the link does not work. When I changed the url to this one, http://www.modthesims2.com/groups.p...joingroup&id=17 it told me
porkypine, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

If you are trying to access a download, it may have been removed by the Creator or by the Staff for policy violations or a number of other reasons.
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account from accessing this area

I can not delete porkypine's invitation when logged in as N8iveSims, it tells me:
http://www.modthesims2.com/groups.p...d=26&groupid=17
N8iveSims, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. If you are trying to access a download, it may have been removed by the Creator or by the Staff for policy violations or a number of other reasons.
2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account from accessing this area.

they're munged..... Can you super-zap all the group memberships for the private mod group and I'll try again.

thanks! :D
Page 3 of 6