Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 1:26 AM
Default Did you ever notice...
...that child sims are 'technically' five years old when they first grow up?
I noticed it after my just-grown-up Emily Goth (daughter of Alexander Goth) used the piano right after having her birthday. I was just like when I noticed her age ( I have a hack that converts the days into years or something like that. I don't remember where I got it, though).

Don't worry; my avatar is meant as a compliment. :)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 4:20 AM
Well aren't hacks created by people? So I would think that the person who made the hack decided to put 5. I don't think the child/toddler is actually 5 when it grows up.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 6:56 AM
I believe 5 is about right. By the time they reach teen, they are 13. YA is around 17-19 to me, but to each it's own.
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 3:40 PM
YMMV with the ages. You can go with what the hack says, or what goes on in the rules in your head. Like my child stage runs around 5 to 11ish, teen is 13-17ish and YA is 18-22.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#5 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 9:59 PM
The children do go to school in the game ( forgot what age most children start school lol, not talking about pre- school but regular. I remember when I would play Mary Mack I was like in second grade. Been a while I forgot what age it was. Oh well! But I do remember I was still a cry baby because I did not want to go.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 10:39 PM
I went to school at 6 and I believe 6 is the average age to go to school.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#7 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KyleTheArtist

"KyleTheArtist" I think you are right I think I was around six when I think about it, no wonder I was still a "Cry Baby" when I had to go to school. lol I cry the whole time I was there me and a few other small kids. lmao

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#8 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KyleTheArtist

In the US it's 5 for kindergarten and 6 for first grade. No idea about other countries.
Instructor
#9 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 7:56 PM
And, considering EA and Maxis are both US-based companies, I would assume 5.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
In the US it's 5 for kindergarten and 6 for first grade. No idea about other countries.

In Russia, every one goes to school at 7 or just about. I went at 6.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 9:18 PM
Strange to think about sim-time. Imagine if it was really that individual.

Prego sims, one day equals three months for the embryo while the mom is still aging a year a day.
At birth a sim babe has three days til it hits toddler- so each day becomes 4 months for the baby.
Toddler is considered 1-3 years old(?) four days sim time , so I would think 1-4 years, each day becomes a year
Child last 8 days, so if they start at 5 that goes along with kindergarten, up until age 9-10, so each day slows to 6 months.

Puberty happens for most around 10-12, teen stage last 15 days, roughly seven years or still at six months per day. So teens to me in game are from 12-19, you can drive to a community lot at 12-lol

YA stage introduced in university, so I would assume it 18-22, when you get the highest possible grade it states thank you to all those who have helped me in these last four years. So game-wise it is a four year program, most people start college at about 18--fresh out of high school. College adds four years to a sims life.

Adult stage last 29 days and would include middle-age , to me that would start at 18. Each day still at six months adults 18-60.

Elders live 9-31 days so from 60-90 ish, as i think of one year being a day...

Funny depending on their age, one winter will either be two and a half years or five years. A mother carries a baby 18 months but it is only half that time for the baby. You look as good at 58 as you did at 20, and you still can get it on at 80 if your still living. :P
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 9:46 PM
It's Sim Time. Time doesn't run the same with them.
Scholar
#13 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cdanon
Strange to think about sim-time. Imagine if it was really that individual.

You look as good at 58 as you did at 20, and you still can get it on at 80 if your still living. :P

I love this sim-time concept! Well thought out and executed and funny.
Instructor
#14 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 11:13 PM
If only real people were gifted with the ability to drive flawlessly at age 12...
Helptato
#15 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 12:32 AM
I would say baby is about 0-1, toddler 2-4, and child is about 5-12.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Mad Poster
#16 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 12:48 AM
Teens drive at 13 in my game . So flawlessly that there is never any accidents XD

cdanon:You out-logiced Spock. I applause you
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 3:24 AM
Here's how I always pictured sim ages in comparison to real ages:

Babies are 0 (duh)
Toddlers are 2
Children are 9
Teens are 16 (I figure it has to be at least that for them to drive)
YAs are 20
Adults are more abiguous. I typically picture them as 24-30.
Elders are at least 60.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 3:54 AM
I haven't downloaded that, but I'd guess that they turn 5 when they turn in to children. I've always though 13 fit the first day of Teenage hood, and young adults depend on what collage year there in with me.

What the Golden Army really was: Ginormous alarm clocks who wanted to kill you!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 4:25 AM
In my mind, Infant is 0-2, toddler 3-5, child 6-13, teen 14-17, YA, 18-30, A 30-70, Elder 70+ Teens in rural areas can drive for farm purposes and to and from work or scholl at 14, so tha makes sense to me. Most people don't really have thier act together until 30, so that's adult, and, around here people generally retire at 70 so that's elder.